Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 19:06   #3931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I wish to know, which camera would be a better deal in terms of quality, durability and usage. I am confused between Nikon D90 & Canon EOS550D. Nikon D90 with an 18-105mm Lens is available for 57000/- & Canon EOS550D with 18-135mm Lens is available for 51000/-.

Now am confused which one is the best buy. Can someone help me in clearing my doubts?
Its a difficult choice between the two - one being the best till date and second being a new entrant with lot of enhancements compared to its predecessor.

It depends on the choice of photography that you want to click. Nikon D90 has 12 MP v/s 550 D being 18MP also 550D is HD video capable. Nikon D90 is at the end of its life and very soon we should be seeing an upgrade for D90 (long pending).

Also with 550 D you save a lot. For eg. here is mumbai - D90 with 105 mm lens is available for 57K where as 550D with 55mm lense is available for 46K. Hence with the savings you can go for additional lense like 18 250mm. This will give better zoom than D90.

I buy most of my stuff from JJMEHTA.com in mumbai and I suggest you look at their website. They have huge range of cameras available

Kailash
Old 6th May 2010, 21:46   #3932
Senior - BHPian

Count on Canon!!
I think the EOS 550 provides more value than the Nikon if you look at it from the price perspective. The feature comparision also tilts in favor of the Canon. Ive got an EOS 500D for over 8 months now. Low light photography is excellent too and the body is very sturdy.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 6th May 2010, 22:26   #3933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
A pretty neat website for comapring camera outputs. I thought you guys must check it out.

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Regards,
TG.
But I found this site only has a comparison between in-camera jpg's. I always shoot RAW and convert it in PS. So, it's helpful only for people who use jpg's straight out of camera.
Old 7th May 2010, 00:57   #3934
BHPian

@A350xwb
Well, it still is a very good guide to noise levels and overall sharpness. I too shoot only in RAW. I feel these are helpful anyways.
Regards,
TG.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:14   #3935
Senior - BHPian

Canon for value - nikon for feel and better ISO (unless its the 550D)
Old 7th May 2010, 09:28   #3936
BHPian

Hi,

Calling in all professional photographers to help me out on this one -

Canon 550D or Canon 50D.

550D is latest and the new kid on the block with all the features packed into it.

50D is one step above the entry level and this is where professional stuff starts.

Though I was looking at 7D as well but I don't think that I can afford it - also, more than the camera, the head behind matters a lot and for the head behind 7D is too much to handle

PS: I am not interested in Nikon / Sony / Pentax at this point because none of these carry a 'Made in Japan' tag - I respect a lot and I am willing to shell out more for that tag - that tag adds a lot more to the build quality, finish and accuracy.

Looking forward to kindly advise me on this.

Cheers
Old 7th May 2010, 10:02   #3937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
..snip..
PS: I am not interested in Nikon / Sony / Pentax at this point because none of these carry a 'Made in Japan' tag
..snip..

Cheers
Pardon me, but where are these cameras made?
Old 7th May 2010, 10:15   #3938
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Canon 550D or Canon 50D.

550D is latest and the new kid on the block with all the features packed into it.

50D is one step above the entry level and this is where professional stuff starts.

Though I was looking at 7D as well but I don't think that I can afford it - also, more than the camera, the head behind matters a lot and for the head behind 7D is too much to handle

PS: I am not interested in Nikon / Sony / Pentax at this point because none of these carry a 'Made in Japan' tag - I respect a lot and I am willing to shell out more for that tag - that tag adds a lot more to the build quality, finish and accuracy.

Looking forward to kindly advise me on this.

Cheers
Imagine yourself taking a pic with 550D. Or go back through your collection. Now ask yourself, what feature on 50D would have made this better? Or what feature would have enabled you to take a better pic?

List them down and see if they are worth the extra investment.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:26   #3939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
Imagine yourself taking a pic with 550D. Or go back through your collection. Now ask yourself, what feature on 50D would have made this better? Or what feature would have enabled you to take a better pic?

I don't need to run my imagination so far. 550D comes on a plastic resin body (though build quality is good) and 50D comes with a magnesium alloy body (though not so sure). With 1 kid claiming "if I can reach it, I can wreck it" and the other one being trained under the skillful hands of the elder one, I want something robust - really robust.

550D comes with a better sensor at 18.1 MP - I don't need that many, but, the sensor is good.

50D has a sledgehammer when it comes to handling noise - sensor not in the same league as 50D, but at 15 MP, it is just what is needed. This is also an older design.

Cost wise both are pretty similar. So, which one??
Old 7th May 2010, 10:29   #3940
BHPian

Quote:
I don't need to run my imagination so far. 550D comes on a plastic resin body (though build quality is good) and 50D comes with a magnesium alloy body (though not so sure). With 1 kid claiming "if I can reach it, I can wreck it" and the other one being trained under the skillful hands of the elder one, I want something robust - really robust.

550D comes with a better sensor at 18.1 MP - I don't need that many, but, the sensor is good.

50D has a sledgehammer when it comes to handling noise - sensor not in the same league as 50D, but at 15 MP, it is just what is needed. This is also an older design.

50D is definitely weather sealed and will last longer. The question is, do you abuse your cameras or baby them?

Which lenses do you own? and how important is video?

Last edited by smokie : 7th May 2010 at 10:31.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:51   #3941
BHPian

Well, I don't intend to abuse the camera - still - 50+K worth of investment cannot be risked - especially with kids around, anything can happen.

On the photographic front, which one do you think is better - 550D or 50D or anything else.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:57   #3942
Team-BHP Support

If you are planning to shoot action and sports get 50D. For exampe if 6fps RAW burst is important for you.
If you are not into sports shooting there is no reason to get 50D over 550D.
Secondly, I see a lot of newbies jumping into DSLRs. the photography they do never needs large sensor capabilities, and they never buy a lens other than 18-55/55-250 combo.

If you are that kind, buy a Bridge camera for 20K or so. Having a DSLR will not automatically make your photography better.

For example look up posts of TorqueGuru. He used to shoot with sony H50. Now he shoots with a Nikon Pro DSLR. Except for a few niche conditions, the shots he took with H50 are as good as he can take with D300 or whatever

Only in certain conditions, like narrow DOF/Low light/Long exposure/Dynamic range tweaking with RAW files his current camera will better his old camera for viewing on web.

Of course prints on large papers are a totally different matter.
Old 7th May 2010, 12:00   #3943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Pardon me, but where are these cameras made?
Mostly in Thailand/Taiwan.
Old 7th May 2010, 13:12   #3944
Senior - BHPian

My responses

Quote:
Hi,

Are you sure, here? I thought the 50D and 7D were only semi-pro. Btw, if you want only Professionals to help you out, you'd have to wait. Rudraji is the only pro I'm aware of and he is usually very busy. There are a lot more photo enthusiastic gents around, who could help you too.

Quote:
'Made in Japan' tag - I respect a lot and I am willing to shell out more for that tag.
Fortunately, the 550D I purchased last Sunday, has body and lens both Made in Japan. Figured that out only 2 days after the purchase.

Quote:

Smokie, that is some excellent advise. Well put.

Quote:
... 50D comes with a magnesium alloy body (though not so sure).

bbkp, yes the 50D has a magnesium alloy build and it is also a weather sealed equipment. That matters a lot in a country like ours, which is extremely dusty/dirty almost everywhere.

And no, cost wise they are not similar. In B'lore, with B&W, the 550D is 45800/- whereas the 50D is 58K+. That's a difference of 12K+ or a 55-250 Is lens + spare cash.

Quote:
50D is definitely weather sealed and will last longer.
Smokie, I'm understanding the weather sealed advantages the hard way. it's extremely challenging for me to keep dust off the 550D.. Aaggghh!! But of course, I couldn't afford either of 50D and 7D. And I'm happy with the 550D.

Last edited by k_ajay : 7th May 2010 at 13:14.
Old 7th May 2010, 13:27   #3945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

There is no blanket rule that Sony, Pentax and Nikon can not be made in Japan. Some of the Pentax and Sony Alpha I have seen ( On Incheon airport) were made in Japan. So you need to check the camera while buying.

For almost all sony products In most of the south east asian countries both Made and In Japan and made in China models are available with Made in Japan carrying some premium.

About weather sealing 50D is partially weather sealed that fully weather sealed is 1D series.

The only fully weather sealed camera in budget is Pentax K7 AFAIK.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks