Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 13:11   #3796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
chances are, if you have video in your regular cam, you will shoot more videos. My sony mini DV cam is lying in dust too. the whole reason i bought a cam with HD movie is for occasional movie shooting if needed.
My previous P&S was a Canon with video, I dont even remember if I ever used that feature in my 2 years posession. Then it was gifted to my brother, he is clicking since 1 year but never used the video too. So, for a serious hobbyist, I think this HDMI video is just a fancy thing, hardly of any use. Also the quality output of a video file from D90, D300s are crap as I read in the reviews. I have seen some video shots taken by Canon 7D, perfectly professional according to my taste, but do we get similar quality from D90 or even D300s. I dont think so. D300s is known for its in-built mic catching the shutter, focusing noise badly, which spoils the whole purpose. I am sure these issues will be sorted out in the upcoming models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Now the only part is whom do I send the money to..
Navin, my accounts are eligible to receive money from others ! Please feel free !

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
...will it be a good deal and is it worth spending for 550 D instead of 450 D / 500 D , My basic requirement is camera and not video recording. What is your opinion about purchasing a 1000D and spending more amount on lenses.
If I am in your place, I would opt for 1000D Body and get some quality lenses with the saved money. Later if I feel the need to upgrade, I will opt for 7D body or something similar and continue to enjoy my quality lenses that are in possession already. If video feature is your last priority, think about my suggestion seriously.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:35   #3797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
My previous P&S was a Canon with video, I dont even remember if I ever used that feature in my 2 years posession. Then it was gifted to my brother, he is clicking since 1 year but never used the video too. So, for a serious hobbyist, I think this HDMI video is just a fancy thing, hardly of any use. Also the quality output of a video file from D90, D300s are crap as I read in the reviews. I have seen some video shots taken by Canon 7D, perfectly professional according to my taste, but do we get similar quality from D90 or even D300s. I dont think so. D300s is known for its in-built mic catching the shutter, focusing noise badly, which spoils the whole purpose. I am sure these issues will be sorted out in the upcoming models.
Well every one has different usage pattern on my P&S cameras , Video is quite often used feature and that's why I felt Video in DSLR is also a must. There are times when you need to shoot video like pets or kids doing some funny stuff or some unusual natural sights which is best represented only in Video format.

My old JVC handycam is gathering dust and that's why I never upgraded to any newer model handycam.

On the other hand if you use DSLR in mostly controlled 'shoots' and not for shooting spontaneous moments you will never feel need of Video.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:12   #3798
Team-BHP Support

Buy 450d body only for 24K, great deal. Since you are willing to spend 38K, you can get a nice walkaround like 18-200IS as your kit lens for 12-14K after canon warranty.
Otherwise even the 18-135 is nice
If you want 18-55 Is only. buy the lens in open market(grey). Test it, if it works fine, you are good. Lenses rarely go bad
Old 28th April 2010, 14:13   #3799
Senior - BHPian

Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
But i am willing to learn. I am trying to know for what these DSLR cams are and what it can do which other p&s can`t. I know you guys are there if i have any questions, and that reassures my belief that its worth the money spent.
Great spirit there, Abbas. But don't let it die if you don't get it [snapping] right, in the first few weeks/months.

Quote:
Sorry for not replying earlier. My friend just managed to get back last night. I had a chat with him this afternoon and is is ok with the choice we have made (1000D+18-55 IS and 55-250 IS. Now the only part is whom do I send the money to. We have a friend in Bangy who we can use for this purpose. I am sending you a PM for more information.
Navin, sent you a response via PM. Let me know for anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Jayesh has received the Canon 450D stock. Quoting 32/33+ with warranty with kit lens
Mohan, that pricing does not put much value then in going for the 450D. Either you can step up to the 500D by paying 36.7K or downgrade to 1000D at 25K+ [with IS kit lens]. Unless, you're fine with the image quality and specs of 450D and you don't need video at all [of the 500D].

Quote:
He that day said that he can arrange 500 D for 34 with kit lens + taxes on which I agreed.

Now he offered me Canon 550 with kit lens with B&W for 37800 + Taxes.
AKaushik, in B'lore, I remember seeing a shop calculating tax on the cameras at 13.25% [Foto Circle]. If that's the case in your city too, then the price of 500D should be 38508/-, which is higher than the cheapest price seen on this thread for 500D. Whereas, the same 13.25% tax on the 550D which you've stated you're friend can arrange for 37800/- will cost 42808/- in total, which is the best price I've seen on this thread, so far, for the 550D.

Quote:
I am confused will it be a good deal and is it worth spending for 550 D instead of 450 D / 500 D , My basic requirement is camera and not video recording. What is your opinion about purchasing a 1000D and spending more amount on lenses.
I'm not expert to comment, but if you are starting out with DSLR and only need photos, the 1000D from Canon would suffice. I think that is what the experts might suggest too. In Nikon, I would think the D3000 is the beginner DSLR model, followed by 5000D. For an indication, the D5000 with B&W and kit lens costs about 34800/-.

Quote:
Thanks
AK
I need to Copyright register my signature; too many AKs around..

Quote:
So you pay 7K more than the 1000D with same lens for spot metering and slightly faster AF (ther other features : more pixels, bigger screen, etc.. do not translate to better IQ).
You'd know that better, I'm sure. So isn't it better one could save cost on body by going for the 1000D and get better lenses or scale up to 500D if it's affordable for the person [so can squash the need to upgrade sooner]?? Atleast 2 members are deciding on this here; your comments could help them.

aK [© pending]...
Old 28th April 2010, 14:28   #3800
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
You'd know that better, I'm sure. So isn't it better one could save cost on body by going for the 1000D and get better lenses or scale up to 500D if it's affordable for the person [so can squash the need to upgrade sooner]?? Atleast 2 members are deciding on this here; your comments could help them.

aK [© pending]...
Actually 450D does not have slightly better AF. It has a "new AF module"
As a 350D user, I know the pains of the older AF module. Esp if you plan to use a polarizer, or any slow lens(F6.3 or F5.6 max aperture at telephoto)
Old 28th April 2010, 14:36   #3801
BHPian

Thanks all for the response/suggestion for the use of a ultra wide angle 10-22 Canon. I checked it retails at around 33k in Bangalore and at that price, its definately quite steep for a non-walkaround lens. I would check if i can get it cheaper in the US, in which case i would opt for it.

What i am confused about is the use for the 10-22 lens, post my Ladakh trip. I of course love taking landscapes, but not sure if i would need such an expensive lens, although i may be able to afford it.

One other option i though of (based on reviews of the lens) is a 100-400 telephoto which is also supposed to be good for landscapes (although i fail to understand how) and would appreciate any thoughts on this lens as well.

Else, i think i would stick to a 18-200 canon even for my Ladakh trip. This seems to be the safest bet and cant go wrong.

Cheers
Vinay
Old 28th April 2010, 14:46   #3802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Buy 450d body only for 24K, great deal. Since you are willing to spend 38K, you can get a nice walkaround like 18-200IS as your kit lens for 12-14K after canon warranty.
Otherwise even the 18-135 is nice
If you want 18-55 Is only. buy the lens in open market(grey). Test it, if it works fine, you are good. Lenses rarely go bad
Thanks tsk for your suggestion , I am asking him to arrange 500 D and will wait for one day or two else I will go for 450 D and will go for 18-105 or 18-200 lens to start with.

I have read number of reviews and the only difference I have figured out in 500 & 550 is only mega pixel. 15 vs 18 rest is same so it is better to go for 500 D then 550 >> My personal opinion.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:54   #3803
Senior - BHPian

-- ~~ --

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Jayesh has received the Canon 450D stock. Quoting 32/33+ with warranty with kit lens
Mohan.. I imagined you in the new Havells ad; after hearing the 450D price... Shock laga laga laga, shock Lagaaaa... lol

[things are getting too serious & heavy in here; so just wanted to bring in a lighter angle to your 'shock' reaction].
Old 28th April 2010, 14:56   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Higher Megapixel is just useless unless you are in the printing media that produces mega size posters. A 6 MP D40 prints 12X18 size clear enough as I know from my friend who runs a studio. That size is a clean poster size for our home walls too. Semi pro DSLRs Nikon D300s and Canon 7D are reviewed to be competitors, but there is a huge difference of MP from 12.3 to 18. Does it justify to be competitors ?

So, its just what you want that matters more. I believe a D40 in abled hands produce stunning shots than a 7D in my hands !!
Old 28th April 2010, 15:03   #3805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post

One other option i though of (based on reviews of the lens) is a 100-400 telephoto which is also supposed to be good for landscapes (although i fail to understand how) and would appreciate any thoughts on this lens as well.

Else, i think i would stick to a 18-200 canon even for my Ladakh trip. This seems to be the safest bet and cant go wrong.

Cheers
Vinay
The 100-400 is soft at tele end. The focus barrel tends to attract dust as well. The lens is mostly used for birding for those who has to make a choice between versatility v/s quality.

If image quality is the basic requirement then nothing can beat a prime lens.

18-200 or any 'X' zooms under 1000$ will be soft in tele ends. Notice the high end tele-zooms, they are always in low X ranges e.g. 70-200mm f/4 IS etc.

Dont go behind the high numbers in lens spec. I would prefer to have a 18-55 IS rather than a 18-200, and another 70-200 for tele requirements.

Though it may be debatable, a 18-55 at 55mm is better than 18-105 at 55mm at sweet points (f/8).
Old 28th April 2010, 15:19   #3806
BHPian

Quote:
Higher Megapixel is just useless unless you are in the printing media that produces mega size posters. A 6 MP D40 prints 12X18 size clear enough as I know from my friend who runs a studio. That size is a clean poster size for our home walls too. Semi pro DSLRs Nikon D300s and Canon 7D are reviewed to be competitors, but there is a huge difference of MP from 12.3 to 18. Does it justify to be competitors ?

So, its just what you want that matters more. I believe a D40 in abled hands produce stunning shots than a 7D in my hands !!
I completely agree with you, very well said buddy.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:48   #3807
BHPian

Quote:

I disagree a little here shajufx. Higher mp has a legitimate advantage with the crop factor.

Shots taken by a 6MP camera, when cropped, cannot be blown to sizes like 12X18, or even worse, u cannot crop it if it is shot at anything >ISO 400.

OTOH you can crop the 11-18MP aaram se, and still blow it up. The details will still be retained.

The D40 I had, I have many a times faced with such a situation where I know cropping is necessary, but I can't do it. I actually never care about prints.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:12   #3808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
Thanks all for the response/suggestion for the use of a ultra wide angle 10-22 Canon. I checked it retails at around 33k in Bangalore
If I were taking landscapes the lens of choice on a APS-C sensor would be the Canon 20/2.8. It is not that expensive and a prime lens will be sharper.

BTW where are you getting the 10-22 for 33K. I was quoted 35-36K.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:23   #3809
Senior - BHPian

Cropping factor is something which is not a regular exercise with everyone. I think I have posted atleast 50 or more shots from my D60 on the non-auto image thread since the last few months. May be 10% of them are cropped (I dont like any of my cropped shots), rest are all resized and touched, never cropped. Cropping also degrades the quality, in that regard higher MP might come to help.

People might dislike ken'pathar'well, but read this link, regardless of you like him or not: Here is a quote: You need to learn to see and compose. The more time you waste worrying about your equipment the less time you'll have to put into creating great images. Worry about your images, not your equipment. Your Camera Doesn't Matter

I have a friend in Bangalore who owns 13 lakhs+ DSLR equipments, serious hobbyist, but sad to say, his photos are lower than average, I have told him on his face but for him its the 'urge to gather more' that rules than the quality of shots. Hope you guys get my point. I am not here to argue on anything. Your money is yours, you can blow it up whichever way you want to.

Personally speaking, I own a D60 from May 2009. That time I had the money to start with a D300 if I wanted to, but some good friends advised me to invest in lenses than the body. So, today I have my Sigma 18-50 2.8 fixed, Nikon 35mm 1.8G, Nikon 70-300VR and a Nikon SB600 flash. Frankly speaking I should not look at any upgrades until I finish all my basic learning with what I have. Whatever body upgrades I do in the future, its a straight increase in the weight around my neck in simpler terms. So, I should attain a healthy neck muscle before I think about an upgrade/weight increase !
Old 28th April 2010, 17:22   #3810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Ajay you forgot to mention the time here, can you confirm on the same.
Hurrycane, sorry I thought I had mentioned in time in my earlier posts. I later realised I'd made that on a PM to wagenix.

If you're still in for a purchase, could you tag along with me on the 2nd May for it? Let me know and we'll make it happen this time. Sorry if you feel missed out on the last trip [only Unni and I made it anyhow].

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why would you put UV filter in front of lens. In case of ND, Polarizer etc, its understood, because such a filter will actually change your image, but in case of UV filter, its like buying an expensive high quality lens, and then shooting through a window pane(I know bad analogy, but you get my drift)
I was just browsing through Canon's site a bit earlier and found this.. I understand and agree with your analogy here, but Canon's tip is contradictory. Surely those not members of TBHP and visiting Canon's site directly may be influenced by this recommendation??

Name:  Canon recommends UV filter.PNG
Views: 293
Size:  85.7 KB
source: Digital Cameras - Tips and Hints - Canon India

Last edited by k_ajay : 28th April 2010 at 17:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks