Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2010, 12:38   #3751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Update on the group purchase:

Whoever comes to Majestic by 2.30pm today will be given free sugar cane juice sponsored by Ajay and Unni !

On a serious note, Ajay and Unni will be wandering around the Gandhinagar area from 2.30pm. As of now RK is giving the best quote, so most probably 2 DSLR body kits would be picked up from him. If anyone wants to be part of the fun-filled, bargain mega mela, please feel free to join. Numbers were posted earlier by Ajay. Get in touch !
We did have some sugar care juice on the way back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post
Hey guys. How many of you got free sugarcanes? How was the mela? What was the deal? Please post the details.
Ajay has the price quotes from RK and Jayesh, so you will have to wait for him to post to get the details. I picked up a 500D yesterday, Rs 36700/-.
Old 25th April 2010, 12:56   #3752
BHPian

I Called up RK and Jayesh regarding canon 55-250 IS lens and the price quote was 14000 NR with B&W. when i told them about canon reducing the price of the cameras and lens (after reading in this thread) he started laughing. And the attitude the R.K guy had, good that i did not go to shop to meet in person else he would have lost couple of teeth.

I had to sell my Sigma 70-300 APO DG MACRO and someone said R.K buys and when I asked about it , he said its only for exchange to another lens and not the cash. Jayesh doesnt deal with used lens.
Guys need help on this. Where can i sell the lens ? And where can i buy canon 55-250 lens ?
Old 25th April 2010, 13:23   #3753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
I picked up a 500D yesterday, Rs 36700/-.
Congrats. What else did you guys pick up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I Called up RK and Jayesh regarding canon 55-250 IS lens and the price quote was 14000 NR with B&W.
That's strange. I got a quote of 12k+ from Jayesh with B&W, a week back. I guess that was before the price reduction from Canon and was expecting the price of Jayesh to go down even further.

Last edited by Jaguar : 25th April 2010 at 13:26.
Old 25th April 2010, 14:15   #3754
BHPian

Quote:
I Called up RK and Jayesh regarding canon 55-250 IS lens and the price quote was 14000 NR with B&W. when i told them about canon reducing the price of the cameras and lens (after reading in this thread) he started laughing. And the attitude the R.K guy had, good that i did not go to shop to meet in person else he would have lost couple of teeth.
Rs.11,195.00 at smartshoppers.in with 2 Years Manufacturer Warranty. See-Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS ? Smart Shoppers Deals with Digital Camera, Camera Lenses, New Laptops, Ipod and Mobile Phones in India.
Old 25th April 2010, 17:20   #3755
Senior - BHPian

Responses

Quote:
Update on the group purchase:

Whoever comes to Majestic by 2.30pm today will be given free sugar cane juice sponsored by Ajay and Unni !
Why Shaju? Why did you stop with the sugarcane juice? Why not snacks, lunch and also evening tea :P .. lol

Quote:
On a serious note, Ajay and Unni will be wandering around the Gandhinagar area from 2.30pm. As of now RK is giving the best quote, so most probably 2 DSLR body kits would be picked up from him. If anyone wants to be part of the fun-filled, bargain mega mela, please feel free to join. Numbers were posted earlier by Ajay. Get in touch !
Actually it's a mixed statement Shaju. RK isn't the cheapest for 500D, as for 550D, he's way cheaper than Jayesh. I didn't pick my 550D yesterday. [as posted earlier, I'm picking up my kit on 02.04].

As for my experience, Naresh's price for some cams may be cheaper than Jayesh's, but his attitude is sad. [strictly, only my experience].

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Hi, Now again i am torn between cameras. As all dealers said canon 450D is not available as of now, i have to deside on Canon 1000D (25K with IS lens), Nikon D3000(25K) and Nikon D5000(28K) which are within my budget of 30k. Which one would be a better choice? I neeed to deside on this today.
Mohan, you asked me to check for Nikon D5000. I don't know who gave you quote for D5000 @ 28K, but Naresh's quote is 31K without B&W and 41K with B&W. Jayesh has quoted 34850 with B&W for the same cam. This is with the kit lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post
Hey guys. How many of you got free sugarcanes? How was the mela? What was the deal? Please post the details.
No free lunches, as they say, Sree70. Anyway, sugarcane juice is 8 bucks a glass, pepsi 10 bucks. We had 1 each. Mela??

Quote:
. We did have some sugar care juice on the way back!!

Ajay has the price quotes from RK and Jayesh, so you will have to wait for him to post to get the details. I picked up a 500D yesterday, Rs 36700/-.
Unni, so you TP is back to life, good.. I'll post the prices below.

Quote:
Good you didn't go to RK's shop, else you might have done just that. I didn't have any bias between Jayesh and Naresh [fyi I hadn't met either before yesterday], but I didn't like the way Naresh dealt with Unni's purchase, one bit. AC shop, et al can take a hike..

Disclaimer: Please be wary and thoughtful when you deal with Naresh of RK Photoguide. He had told Shaju that the price of EOS 500D is 36500 for sure and he asked Shaju to have his friend [Unni] come down and pick it up. But when Unni and I were at the shop, he even refused the price was 36500 and that he cannot reduce a rupee from 37K. We told him several times he'd told our friend 36500 was the price but he didn't care a bit. He was stuck to 37K. He didn't even want to speak to Shaju who was on the line, willing to speak to him.

[again, this is not to dissuade you from purchasing with Naresh, but just sharing our experience from yesterday. On the contrary, Shaju has had a good experience with him].

Quote:
I And where can i buy canon 55-250 lens ?
The prices are yet to fall and reflect Canon's price reduction. If you could wait, you probably should (and save more than 1K).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Congrats. What else did you guys pick up?
Jag, Unni got a 500D and so did a guy called Wagenix [Suraj Verma]. He picked it up at the same price Unni did, later in the evening.
---------------------------------

@ Everyone,

Prices as of 24.04.2010

RK - Naresh:
EOS 500D - 37k
EOS 550D - 44.5K
Nikon D5000 - 31K [without B&W] , 41K [with B&W]
EOS 1000D - 23K [with non-IS kit lens]

FotoCircle - Jayesh [all prices with B&W]
Nikon D5000 - 34850
EOS 550D - 45850
EOS 1000D - 25850 [with IS lens]
EOS 500D - 36850

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I think Unni and I saw a buyer take a Nikon D90 with 18-55 lens for about 46600.. Surely it was 46xxx something, with B&W.

As for me, I'm very happy with and will be going back, only to Jayesh.

Last edited by k_ajay : 25th April 2010 at 17:23.
Old 25th April 2010, 18:53   #3756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Nah I cant trust these websites. they haven mentioned 2 yeas in the display and 6 months vendor warranty in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Good you didn't go to RK's shop, else you might have done just that. I didn't have any bias between Jayesh and Naresh [fyi I hadn't met either before yesterday], but I didn't like the way Naresh dealt with Unni's purchase, one bit. AC shop, et al can take a hike..
Buy why is this price variation ? I get 14K from R.K and 13.7K from G.K vale. No body picked up the call from canon showroom.

My question is still unanswered. where can i sell my sigma?
Old 25th April 2010, 19:04   #3757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Disclaimer: Please be wary and thoughtful when you deal with Naresh of RK Photoguide.
[again, this is not to dissuade you from purchasing with Naresh, but just sharing our experience from yesterday. On the contrary, Shaju has had a good experience with him].

The prices are yet to fall and reflect Canon's price reduction. If you could wait, you probably should (and save more than 1K).

@ Everyone,

Prices as of 24.04.2010

RK - Naresh:
EOS 500D - 37k
EOS 550D - 44.5K
Nikon D5000 - 31K [without B&W] , 41K [with B&W]
EOS 1000D - 23K [with non-IS kit lens]

FotoCircle - Jayesh [all prices with B&W]
Nikon D5000 - 34850
EOS 550D - 45850
EOS 1000D - 25850 [with IS lens]
EOS 500D - 36850

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I think Unni and I saw a buyer take a Nikon D90 with 18-55 lens for about 46600.. Surely it was 46xxx something, with B&W.

Hey Ajay,

thanks man for these good inputs. Are you sure about the D90 price ?, how much would be a D90 Body only price ?

did any of you discuss about an orientation session about the camera you bought ?. Is any one of the shops offer this training ? any idea ?
Old 25th April 2010, 20:55   #3758
BHPian

[quote=livyodream;1855225]Nah I cant trust these websites. they haven mentioned 2 yeas in the display and 6 months vendor warranty in the end.

Rs.11500 from jjmehta with one year Canon warranty.
jjmehta.com eShop
Old 25th April 2010, 22:38   #3759
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Unni for taking posession of the 500D !!! So now you are officially part of the DSLR gang. Save some bucks for better lenses and accessories as you go ahead, not so soon, but when you seriously feel the need of it on your learning journey.

I know I could have accompanied you to bargain hard for a better price, but I had to drop my mum at 3pm, so there was no choice to be at majestic. Also RK Naresh behaved so differenty with you guys, I still cant digest that fact. I was at his shop almost 1 hour (I went for sigma 17-70 but opted 18-50 which was not in the shop, he got it delivered from the main distributor while I was waiting at his shop) but never felt that attitude issue with him nor with his staff. He deals with pros in the field and they are his regular customers. So, I dont know what went wrong.

For others who are looking for DSLR bodies, kits, lense etc. Prices keep fluctuating every week as the latest trend, probably every other day. Most of the shops like RK or Jayesh may not stock things unless confirmed over phone or through reference, because they wouldnt prefer to take the stock on a higher price and keep it dead in the shop. Prices between 2 shops also varies based on this fact. If Jayesh has taken some stocks of canon 500D on 20th for 36k, RK might have taken the same stock for 36.5k previous day. Its natural as we know about the USD/INR fluctuation lately. I am not defending anyone nor promoting, I dont have to, its just the fact. Unni has saved only Rs.150 by picking up from Jayesh, or might have saved Rs.300 if picked up from Vinod. So, its ok.

Ajay, somehow I have a feeling that you might not pick up 550D. May be something more pro is ruling your mind, probably a 40D or a 50D. Have you ever checked the D90 or D300 ? I think you should, may be that will change your perspective. Consider it as a test drive taken on every hatchbacks available in the market when you are planning to spend 5 lakh for a car. I know few people who shifted to Canon after using Nikon for few years. Also vice versa. So, its all about your comfort of handling a body.

Considering the present drop in prices, D90 is a lovely pick, take the body for 34k (vinod quoted me 33.5) and pick up a quality lens for around 20-25k. I am considering a body upgrade, tossed between D90 and D300 (34k & 65k). I am waiting for any hint on Nikon's possibility of a 'face-lifted' version of D90. Infact I dont want the video (I believe the video functions on a DSLR is a pure waste and marketing gimmick), thats the only reason I am hesitating on D90 and even D300s. Lets see.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:41   #3760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
did any of you discuss about an orientation session about the camera you bought ?. Is any one of the shops offer this training ? any idea ?
Canon offers a free orientation course on registering to their website. I think it happens once every month. Not sure about Nikon though.

Quote:
Congratulations Unni for taking posession of the 500D !!! So now you are officially part of the DSLR gang. Save some bucks for better lenses and accessories as you go ahead, not so soon, but when you seriously feel the need of it on your learning journey.
Thanks Shaju. In fact, a very big thank you for attending my calls almost everyday and for checking prices on my behalf. The purchase and the decision making was a lot easier since I had your help.

Quote:
Also RK Naresh behaved so differenty with you guys, I still cant digest that fact. ....... I am not defending anyone nor promoting, I dont have to, its just the fact.
Yeah, from what ever you had told, this came as a surprise. Not sure if he was just having a bad day! There was an attitude of "you are not going to pick up, why waste time" around him. Like you said, maybe he had picked up the 500Ds with him on a wrong day and ended up having to pay more, which he had to push to his customer.

Over all, I'm happy with the 500D, taking my baby-steps and reading up the manual. And, thats all that matters!!
Old 26th April 2010, 10:14   #3761
BHPian

Quote:
Mohan, you asked me to check for Nikon D5000. I don't know who gave you quote for D5000 @ 28K.
Thank you Ajay for the update.
Jayesh gave me the price , may be without B&W,today i got the sms from him for with B&W

Quote:
+1 to that.

Last edited by mohang_j : 26th April 2010 at 10:18.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:11   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Canon offers a free orientation course on registering to their website. I think it happens once every month. Not sure about Nikon though.
Its not exactly an orientation course (as in specific to your camera) but a general introduction to photography. AFAIK the sessions are open for Canon Edge members and the topic varies each month. In Bangalore, the classes are held once a month, somewhere near Hennur (ORR).

I attended a session on videography which was conducted at the Canon Image Lounge itself, bit it turned out to be just a demo of their latest camcorder . My friend attended a session on lenses the next day, which basically was just an opportunity to test out their lens lineup.

I you are new to photography, these sessions might be useful, but keep your expectations low. But do register for Canon Edge cause for the 500d you'll get 2nd year extended warranty (just 1 year if you don't register) plus a camera bag and a not-so-useful book on photography.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:20   #3763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Its not exactly an orientation course (as in specific to your camera) but a general introduction to photography. AFAIK the sessions are open for Canon Edge members and the topic varies each month. In Bangalore, the classes are held once a month, somewhere near Hennur (ORR).

I attended a session on videography which was conducted at the Canon Image Lounge itself, bit it turned out to be just a demo of their latest camcorder . My friend attended a session on lenses the next day, which basically was just an opportunity to test out their lens lineup.

I you are new to photography, these sessions might be useful, but keep your expectations low. But do register for Canon Edge cause for the 500d you'll get 2nd year extended warranty (just 1 year if you don't register) plus a camera bag and a not-so-useful book on photography.
From what i gather here, i summerize as below

1. Cannon offers an registration option to the buyers,

2. To the registered users/buyers it provides
a. a general awareness session on photography
b. an extended warrantee of 1+ year
c. a camera bag
d. a book on photography.
e. option to attend different sessions at their lounge
f. get to know the cannon people (if we face any issues).

I have two questions :

1. Where is this Cannon Lounge ?, Is it near Hennur ?

2. Does Nikkon also provides any such option ?. any any Nikkon buyer share his/her experience ?
Old 26th April 2010, 13:34   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Responses

Quote:
My question is still unanswered. where can i sell my sigma?
Why not try the TBHP market place and also some online options [like ebay] to dispose your lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hey Ajay,

thanks man for these good inputs. Are you sure about the D90 price ?, how much would be a D90 Body only price ?

did any of you discuss about an orientation session about the camera you bought ? Is any one of the shops offer this training ? any idea?
Hey StarV, I'm sure about the D90 price; it was with the 18-55VR I think, and surely was about 46K+ [sure about it not more than 46xxx] and was a purchase with B&W.

No idea about D90 body only price.. But Shaju had posted the price [from RK Naresh] a couple of pages prior. And No, Jayesh or Naresh's shop have no orientation course for new purchases/beginners. Surely, they won't have time for such things.

Quote:
Nah I cant trust these websites
Livyodream, you can trust jjmehta .com , Digital Camera , Digital SLR , Video Camera , Apple iPod , Sandisk Pendrive available all over India blindly, ask the Mumbai boys.. But before you purchase, just check if the product mentions 1 (or) 2 years Canon warranty. They also sell products with their own warranty, but they mention it clearly on their website.

Quote:
Ajay, somehow I have a feeling that you might not pick up 550D. May be something more pro is ruling your mind, probably a 40D or a 50D. Have you ever checked the D90 or D300?
Shaju, I've fixed my mind on the 550D and will be going for it. The 500D is not much different body wise, and yeah, the 500D felt very comfortable for my hands; no issues. And no, no semi-pro Canon cams for me right now; I have no use for them. I haven't seen the D300, but have seen the D90.. I'll still be going for the 550D.

Quote:
Over all, I'm happy with the 500D, taking my baby-steps and reading up the manual. And, thats all that matters!!
Have fun with it dude..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Thank you Ajay for the update.
Jayesh gave me the price , may be without B&W,today i got the sms from him for with B&W

+1 to that.
Np mate. So Mohan, you've decided what you're picking up and when?
Old 26th April 2010, 15:01   #3765
BHPian

Quote:
Np mate. So Mohan, you've decided what you're picking up and when?
Not yet Jayesh told me that he may get 450D by 27th/28th will wait for that. If i don't get 450D may settle of 1000D or Nikon 5000D.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks