Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 11:55   #3661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
May be you should not leave D40 as its a proven beauty. Atleast it will help as a second body in the bag. Kenrockwell (some people hate him like anything) prefers to carry a D40 than his pro cameras as you will find the mention of D40 in most of his reviews.
I am kinda aware of this fact shajufx. But I dont think I'll need a backup as I am not hardcore into photography full time. A battery grip is a better replacement for my D40. Places where I'll not need heavy equipment, there I can have a P&S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
Can you suggest a good lens replacement of 18-55 ?
If u have the moolah then go for 17-55mm f/2.8. I once checked that lens in canon lounge and was blown away with the sharpness (fused with a 50D). Downside is the build quality is plasticy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
tsk1979
Which is good for occasional bird photography?
70-300 VR is the only option for occasional birding. otherwise get ready to get equipment equalling price of a new A star.

Also, for those craving for a high zoom lens , beware of the downside of those lenses. The high tele lens have a low sharpness performance at tele end. Say the 70-300mm (~4x) is sharp till 200mm and start loosing sharpness beyond 200 mm FL. Similar problem with 18-200mm VR (~10x).

If at all u want a zoom lens performing equal at all FL, then u may have to go for higher quality lenses preferably a f/2.8. Say Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR is sharp at all FLs but comes with a price tag of ~100k.

That is why a prime lens is always preferred by pros, say 50mm, 105mm, 200mm, 300mm coz they are designed to give best performance only at specified FL. But its meant for those who can compromise on patience of changing lens but not on image quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Members,

I am posting below the positive confirmations received regarding interest in the group purchase plan. Based on the equipment below, we'll get a final price list from Jayesh and member Unni and I will visit Jayesh on 24.04 to push for a special price/freebies/whatever combo..
Before talking to jayesh talk to this guy -
Mahaveer mob- 9845071553

His price is always lesser than Jayesh. And somehow I am not happy with the attitude of Jayesh.
This guy mahaveer operates from Mysore and has an aquiantance in blore.
Get the prices from him before u guys go to Jayesh.

An e.g.- few months back Jayesh quoted 19k+ (thats how he quotes) for a tamron 90mm macro. Mahaveer quoted 17.5k exact.
Jayesh is seldom open for negotiation.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 20th April 2010 at 11:58.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:05   #3662
BHPian

Here are two shots taken using a borrowed 70-300mm VR.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-dsc_0494.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0588.jpg  

Old 20th April 2010, 14:39   #3663
Senior - BHPian

Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
Whatever lenses you later decide to buy, IMHO, if you have a Canon DSLR, the nifty fifty is a must for any beginner. These two pics should help you make up your mind
Thanks for sharing Tekno.. I've sure planned for the nifty fifty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I know. I would also have a friend in Bangy help me out and then shipping to Mumbai is not a problem. We old foggies have a trick or two up our sleeves.

Can you atleast ask Jayesh what a Canon 1000D 18-55IS 55-250IS combo will cost. Then just send me Jayesh's number and I will do the rest. Thanks in advance.
Navin, just got confirmation today Jayesh's price for EOS 1000D is 21k+ with kit lens. The 55-250IS is 12K. All prices with B&W. His number is 9845022654.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Arey baba just ask Jayesh about the 1000D combo I mentioned above na. Then give me his number and let me worry about the rest. If he does not have that combo we can also look at a 450D+18-55IS_55-250IS combo instead.
That message wasn't for you, Navin. It was for the other folks who'd committed to picking up stuff this weekend @ Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Ajay - Sorry to butt in late can you check costing of 450D also for me? Hope i am not asking for too much. PM me when and what time you are planning to go, incase if i am not travelling this weekend i too can accompany you guys.
Hurrycane, sure will check the price of 450D. I'll be going with Unni on 24th at about 4pm. Jayesh is not available in the morning of 24th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Mahaveer mob- 9845071553

His price is always lesser than Jayesh. And somehow I am not happy with the attitude of Jayesh. This guy mahaveer operates from Mysore and has an aquiantance in blore. Get the prices from him before u guys go to Jayesh.
Thanks Speed Pujari. I'll try txting Mahaveer..

@ others who have confirmed a purchase at B'lore: Latest prices of equipment from Jayesh:

EOS 1000D: 21K+
EOS 500D: 36K+
EOS 550D: 45K+
EF-S55-250 IS lens: 12K
EF 50mm f/1.8 lens: 5.5K

all prices with B&W.. And he has stock of the above equipments. Spoke with Jayesh this morning and he requested we visit him and pick up gear in the evening of 24.04.

Please PM me or Unni for any other details [of meeting or visiting Foto Circle]. Cheers.
aK
Old 20th April 2010, 15:10   #3664
BHPian

Quote:
Spoke with Jayesh this morning and he requested we visit him and pick up gear in the evening of 24.04.
aK
Any update on offers he is giving when we are purchasing

Mohan.G
Old 20th April 2010, 15:25   #3665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Mahaveer mob- 9845071553.
May be I was the first one to call and speak to him. He operates from Mysore and has a friend Vinod who owns a shop in Burma Bazar at Gandhinagar. I spoke to vinod too, but he will never give an idea about the pricing over the phone. So the only chance is to directly go and meet the guy, he claims to have most things in stock as required by the group.

Ajay, hope you guys get the best deal possible. Meanwhile have a word with this new chap Vinod too, preferably meet him before you head towards Jayesh. Its anyway within 2 kms radius.

As far as my lens is concerned (Sigma 17-70 as before), Jayesh has no clue when he will get the stocks, nor RK has given me a call back about it. So, its again like a waiting game.

Mohan, when it comes to bargaining at the shop, Jayesh is the last person to give even a 'paper clip' free ! I have seen it myself. May be because the quotes are given to the best possible. So, dont expect any miracle in that line. Thank God if you save your bus ticket to his shop and back home as part of a group deal ! (hoping you dont take your private car or bike to this highly congested area of the city !!)
Old 20th April 2010, 16:01   #3666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any update on offers he is giving when we are purchasing
Mohan.G
Mohan, I did ask Jayesh for discounts/freebies but he mentioned he's already working on a very low margin % so he won't be able to do much. I know the 'i-work-on-low-margin' talk is one everybody in every business use, but Jayesh's prices are truly competitive in the B'lore market. So let's see. Unni and I have planned to push for some offer at the store; it sure won't work over the phone.

But yes, please be aware we might not get a gem clip free beyond the competitive price, as Shaju points out.. We'll give it a try, whatsay?

Quote:
May be I was the first one to call and speak to him. He operates from Mysore and has a friend Vinod who owns a shop in Burma Bazar at Gandhinagar. I spoke to vinod too, but he will never give an idea about the pricing over the phone. So the only chance is to directly go and meet the guy, he claims to have most things in stock as required by the group.

Ajay, hope you guys get the best deal possible. Meanwhile have a word with this new chap Vinod too, preferably meet him before you head towards Jayesh. Its anyway within 2 kms radius.

Mohan, when it comes to bargaining at the shop, Jayesh is the last person to give even a 'paper clip' free ! I have seen it myself. May be because the quotes are given to the best possible. So, dont expect any miracle in that line. Thank God if you save your bus ticket to his shop and back home as part of a group deal ! (hoping you dont take your private car or bike to this highly congested area of the city !!)
Yes mate. I have sent Mahaveer a msg but no response yet. Surprisingly, Jayesh has been txting me akin to firing projectiles. Can you plz text me Vinod's number if you have it. Need to find out from him where his shop is.. But I have a certain comfort factor knowing Foto Circle is a Canon authorised retailer [a gold partner].

So much that Canon Image lounge themselves came up with Foto Circle as reference to buy a camera, when I visited there with my wife. Not sure I'd get the same feeling from a guy operating via 'friend' from Mysore.. No offense [to anyone dealing with Mahaveer/Vinod] but just my personal preference; I'm not 'just' in need of the lowest price..
Old 20th April 2010, 16:12   #3667
BHPian

Quote:

I have heard about Vinod. There are many people who have dealt with him and have gotten mixed results about his approach. Supposedly he has a good stock. But, I always go to Jayesh because of the support he provides later on. I have had good experience with Jayesh, and yes, he may make you wait at his place, but you want the best price and support you gotta wait .

About reaching there, you can take a bike and go. There's a temple diagonally opposite his place and you can park there. Car, forget it!
Old 20th April 2010, 16:29   #3668
Senior - BHPian

Ajay, you can call Vinod at 9845038806, he is at Shop No-16, Burma bazar. What is there to keep it as a secret ?

HW, there are too many positive opinions about Jayesh not only here but also in many other photography forums. Thats one reason I picked up my lens from him without a second thought. He also has a huge list of regular customers (once you own a DSLR body, you keep spending till death !!). Thats one reason he is expanding his store to Anand Rao circle very soon.

Bike, yes you can take it there, but Car, you will have to be air-lifted 99%, unless you are on that road on a harthal day. I took an auto, but the autoguy scraped or pushed many fruit carts, cows, dogs, goats and even human bodies.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:34   #3669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
I have heard about Vinod. There are many people who have dealt with him and have gotten mixed results about his approach. Supposedly he has a good stock. But, I always go to Jayesh because of the support he provides later on. I have had good experience with Jayesh, and yes, he may make you wait at his place, but you want the best price and support you gotta wait .

About reaching there, you can take a bike and go. There's a temple diagonally opposite his place and you can park there. Car, forget it!
Veeresh, exactly me feeling. I am a member at BPC too [where you're a member too
] and yes, mixed opinions with Vinod there. Jayesh always gets the 5* for his after-sales support. It's there in the Foto Circle thread for everyone to read.

Unni and I are reaching there by Volvo. No car, no bike..

Quote:
Ajay, you can call Vinod at 9845038806, he is at Shop No-16, Burma bazar. What is there to keep it as a secret ?

HW, there are too many positive opinions about Jayesh not only here but also in many other photography forums. Thats one reason I picked up my lens from him without a second thought. He also has a huge list of regular customers (once you own a DSLR body, you keep spending till death !!). Thats one reason he is expanding his store to Anand Rao circle very soon.

Bike, yes you can take it there, but Car, you will have to be air-lifted 99%, unless you are on that road on a harthal day. I took an auto, but the autoguy scraped or pushed many fruit carts, cows, dogs, goats and even human bodies.
Shaju, thanks for Vinod's number, will give him a try for finding out prices. But I think I'll stick to FotoCircle; I've built a rapport with him and ok with his prices. And his number is not only on photography forums, it's all over the internet where there is any camera talk concerning bangalore.

It's good you shared his number here, since other members who've opted to join a group purchase [with or without benefit] can also approach Vinod if they like, for lower prices if possible.

Last edited by k_ajay : 20th April 2010 at 16:40. Reason: Response to Shaju's post.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:38   #3670
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to vinod too, but he will never give an idea about the pricing over the phone.
Quote:
I have sent Mahaveer a msg but no response yet.
I have spoken to Mahaveer and his prices were slightly higher than Jayesh (24k for 1000d). I think have visited Vinod's shop and his prices are more than Jayesh's when ever i checked. (Nikon 55-200 10.5k Jayesh and 11.5k vinod. isn't his shop opp to Thribhuvan theater?)Same with RK also and i did not liked the way RK guys speak.
What is the tax amount Jayesh is charging 4.5% correct?

Quote:
Mohan, when it comes to bargaining at the shop, Jayesh is the last person to give even a 'paper clip' free !
I did ask Jayesh for discounts/freebies but he mentioned he's already working on a very low margin % so he won't be able to do much.
Thats why i asked this question, i know him from last one yr and he will not give any discount. Mean while even i am txting him to get the prices and he is quoting same prices to me as he quoted to you. seems that we have to bargain hard to get any discount.

Quote:
Car, forget it!
CAR? i can't even park my bullet in front of his shop. I normally park my bike nr the Upparpet police stn then walk to his shop.

Last edited by mohang_j : 20th April 2010 at 16:43.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:56   #3671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....I am a member at BPC too ........Unni and I are reaching there by Volvo. No car, no bike..
Me too a small member there !!! You guys are taking a Volvo to a place even a rikshaw is struggling to get in ?

Quote:
I did not liked the way RK guys speak.
.....Mean while even i am txting him to get the prices and he is quoting same prices to me as he quoted to you..
May be you didnt speak to Rekha !!
You typed exactly what I doubted, even if you SMS him as an individual Jayesh would quote you the same price for any item, so with a group or without a group, I really doubt if we can make any difference, unless we visit his shop with some 'Koorg' guns or 'Nepali' knives !! Another point is, a 2.5 lakh business is like a rainy day 1 hour job for him.

Last edited by shajufx : 20th April 2010 at 16:59.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:05   #3672
BHPian

Guys, does this jayesh/R.K deal with buy back or exchange of old lens too ??
wanted to dispose my sigma 70-300 DG APO and buy a canon 55-250.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:10   #3673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Guys, does this jayesh/R.K deal with buy back or exchange of old lens too ??
wanted to dispose my sigma 70-300 DG APO and buy a canon 55-250.
Some times yes but at what pirce better not ask.
shajufx-- what is the tax amount Jayesh is charging 4.5% correct?

Last edited by mohang_j : 20th April 2010 at 17:12.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:11   #3674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me too a small member there !!! You guys are taking a Volvo to a place even a rikshaw is struggling to get in ?
Shaju.. We're taking the Volvo until Majestic/Chikpet, the closest we can get to his area/shop and then from there by foot/auto, whatever of the two is possible.

Quote:
Another point is, a 2.5 lakh business is like a rainy day 1 hour job for him.
That is exactly what I just told Unni last night, at office.. Almost the same words.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:34   #3675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Guys, does this jayesh/R.K deal with buy back or exchange of old lens too ?? .
RK will take back (should be in good condition), not sure about Jayesh.

Quote:
what is the tax amount Jayesh is charging 4.5% correct?
Thats a billion dollar question bro. If you are using a credit card, its 2% extra, thats all I know about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks