Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 13:54   #3631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I have come to realise that I could manage quite well with just the 10-22 (also borrowed), 17-55 and 70-200 on most occasions. Sometimes I need the 50/1.4 but I rarely use the other primes or zooms in my bag. The fast lenses are useful when trying to isolate the subject from the background.
I like the quality of 70-300 VR, its far superior to the 55-200 VR and many other zooms available. Majority of the time thats on my camera too. I was thinking about a tele upto 500mm, but after playing around with the 70-300 for a month, I dont think I will buy another tele soon unless I leave my present job and dedicate fulltime to birding.

I have never tried serious landscapes yet, so the ultra wide lens is still a riddle to me. But I love to own a macro lens, as that is an addictive line.

Fast lenses are really useful in various ways. My 35mm 1.8G is a beauty, althought I am yet to explore its full potential. Here is a sample of what I shot yesterday (My neighbour kid). See the sharpness, there is zero PP done on this.

Exif: 35mm, 1.8, 1/100, ISO-100, Aperture Priority
The DSLR Thread-joh1.jpg
Old 19th April 2010, 13:58   #3632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I like the quality of 70-300 VR

Fast lenses are really useful in various ways. My 35mm 1.8G is a beauty, althought I am yet to explore its full potential. Here is a sample of what I shot yesterday (My neighbour kid). See the sharpness, there is zero PP done on this.

Exif: 35mm, 1.8, 1/100, ISO-100, Aperture Priority
Attachment 332869
I am on Canon hence got the IS not the VR.

Why is the face so awash in flash? A bit more DOF would have got his right hand in focus. was this a low light enviroment?
Old 19th April 2010, 14:08   #3633
Senior - BHPian

Its natural light shot, no flash. I am still learning the basics, and this boy was not posing for me by any chance. My son (4 yrs) was opposite to him, so out of 10 shots I got only 1 in focus, you know how restless this age is !!

Focus point is exactly on his nose, so 3 inches front and 3 inches back are totally blurred.
Old 19th April 2010, 14:16   #3634
BHPian

Shajufx, the 35mm f/1.8 is one of the most admired lens worldwide which is evident from that simple shot also.

[dont read this as a lecture]- An entry level DSLR is kinda trap for those who are REALLY interested in photography. Once you get hang of it, you use the cam for say 2 years and overpower it. I am one example.

I bought a D40 in 2007, did shooting happily and now I know the limitation of the camera for the level of precision I need now. I am planning to either get a full frame or prosumer with high quality lens (my list is highly ambitious and includes only Nikkor f/2.8ers). In other words I am trapped, and saving hard to fulfil my dreams (dream of a D700 if not then D300s/D400, a 14-24 f/2.8, a 85mm f/1.8, a 300mm f/4 VR speculated)!.

So if you are planning to just learn photography, then buy a decent used DSLR, use it to max and check that if you are a photography material. Get to know the genres you are interested in viz macro, landscpae, sports, wildlife etc. then get rid of your entry level DSLR and be ready for big bucks, that itch will take you over someday. If a used DSLR available back then when I bought mine, then I would have surely done the same thing.

My D40 is up for sale and is apparantly not fetching me good resale, but there very little I can do about it.
A decision of used 450D is way better than a new 1000D. Spend, spend and spend on glasses. Nothing happens to camera's performance due to wear and tear if it is not mishandled or misused.
Old 19th April 2010, 14:24   #3635
BHPian

I agree with you completely. I also went for a used D70 instead of a new D40 at that time and I am happy with my decision now as i spent much less than a new D40, still has a decent camera.
It is not a wise idea to invest lo of money upfront and regret later when it is used only on full auto mode or when it gathers dust because of no use.
Old 19th April 2010, 14:39   #3636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
My D40 is up for sale and is apparantly not fetching me good resale.
May be you should not leave D40 as its a proven beauty. Atleast it will help as a second body in the bag. Kenrockwell (some people hate him like anything) prefers to carry a D40 than his pro cameras as you will find the mention of D40 in most of his reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
It is not a wise idea to invest lot of money upfront and regret later when it is used only on full auto mode or when it gathers dust because of no use.
If one wants to use full auto-mode, dont even think about a DSLR. One can get a good quality P&S for half the price and 1/5th of the weight and size.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:09   #3637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
I will join you guys who are buying together from Jayesh / RK. Not yet decided on the model though, Please let me know when you are going to buy, so that i can make my mind about the model and i will purchase worth Rs30k at that time. Mohan.G
Hi Mohan. About 4-5 members from Bangalore are planning to visit, close deal and also most members may purchase on the 24/04 itself. I'm planning to pick up my cam on 1st/2nd May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
He is favouring the Canon 1000D for now and intends to purchase in the next week so he can join a group buy if there is one and if it offers any advantge.
Navin, the group purcase is happening in Bangalore and we're not yet sure of any advantages of this exercise, yet. We haven't gotten the final prices yet from Jayesh [due to certain equipment's stock unavailability] and we will close the deal by 24th here. I have tried several months back to courier a camera with the leading courier services but none accepted to ship electronic equipments, so not sure we can send a camera from here; also shipping cost may negate any offer benefits, if realized].

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
Hey, Please let me know when you people are going to meet Jayesh, I am thinking of buying a 35mm lens (f-1.8G AF-S Dx) for Nikon.
SimonS, member Unni and I have planned to visit Jayesh on 24th this month. But please sms him and check if he has stock of the equipment you want. His number is available easily on this forum, just a quick search will give you his number & address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Shoot macros? Sure, you will have to use the reverse lens technique :P. But yes, with the lens mounted in the normal way, you will not be able to shoot macros.
Well, I don't intend to reverse any lens, so yeah, point noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
But yes, my suggestion to you would be to get the 18-55IS and 55-250 as of now. You can always add the 50mm later.
It will be sometime before I buy the 55-250IS lens.. currently considering purchasing that in June, but the plan may change [as always is the case].

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Buddy, my suggestion to Ajay would be 'just get the 18-55IS only' now. Play around with it and take your time to decide whats to be added in the bag.
Yes, Shaju. That's what I've decided too and I accept your suggestion. I'll reign by initial impulsive enthusiasm to buy another lens and stick to the IS kit lens. I'll probably try using my uncle's Canon 100-300 lens in mumbai and then decide if I need the 55-250 IS when I come back.. The 50mm f/1.8 prime sounds good but I'll wait on that too..
Old 19th April 2010, 15:22   #3638
BHPian

Hi friends ,

I am getting a Canon EOS 450 D Body only at 25 K

Canon EOS 500 D with 18-55 in 32 K

Are these good prices , I am inclined towards 450 D but according to canon 18-55 for EOS 450 is out of stock currently but according to my understanding lens is same for all models 450 , 550 , 500.

Please suggest should I go ahead and get 500D instead of 450 ? (These prices are with bill and warranty)

Thanks,
Anshul
Old 19th April 2010, 15:53   #3639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
Hi friends ,

I am getting a Canon EOS 450 D Body only at 25 K. Canon EOS 500 D with 18-55 in 32 K.
(These prices are with bill and warranty)
Anshul
Anshul, those prices have got to be amongst the most competitive in the country. The price we have heard as of last week [in B'lore] for the 500D was 38K with B&W, but 32K just takes the cake..

But just ensure if the 18-55mm lens is IS version or the non-IS version. The 38K price [in B'lore] is for 500D with 18-55mm IS lens. I'm just a beginner but I'm guessing the experts here might recommend the 450D body and invest monies in buying good lenses.. But reviews and experts here also state the 18-55 IS lens is a good one, so you can surely pick up the 500D for 32K, if it's with the IS version lens.

Good luck.

Last edited by k_ajay : 19th April 2010 at 15:55.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:02   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Anshul, those prices have got to be amongst the most competitive in the country. The price we have heard as of last week [in B'lore] for the 500D was 38K with B&W, but 32K just takes the cake..

But just ensure if the 18-55mm lens is IS version or the non-IS version. The 38K price [in B'lore] is for 500D with 18-55mm IS lens. I'm just a beginner but I'm guessing the experts here might recommend the 450D body and invest monies in buying good lenses.. But reviews and experts here also state the 18-55 IS lens is a good one, so you can surely pick up the 500D for 32K, if it's with the IS version lens.

Good luck.
Thanks dude for your suggestion indeed this is IS version of the lens and I am sourcing it from one of my friend who is having some discount coupon from canon india.

So I can go ahead with 500 D , I hope there is not much difference in 450 D & 500 D except for video recording which I will not use anyway.

Still if I get hands on 450 D then where can I get 18-55 Lens or can I go for 18- something lens straight away by investing some more amount.

IS there any lens 18-200/300 something in market which I can bundle with 450D ?
Old 19th April 2010, 16:16   #3641
Team-BHP Support

If you do not care about video 450D is actually a great cam to have. I would call it better than 500D from an IQ and dynamic range POV.
However, if you do care about video, then instead of 500D(canon's first implementation of video in this range) get the 550D which is more capable.
But remember, if you are looking at a "camcorder experience" you will be dissapointed. A DSLR video cam is a professional tool. Get ready to learn things like manual focus and manual video shooting.
Want a cam to shoot your kid running around? Do not go for this. Either take something like Panny FZ35 or buy a camcorder. If you still want a DSLR, go for Panasonic GF1 or something, which is expensive, but is the best internchangable lens video cam out there currently.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:47   #3642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you do not care about video 450D is actually a great cam to have. I would call it better than 500D from an IQ and dynamic range POV.
However, if you do care about video, then instead of 500D(canon's first implementation of video in this range) get the 550D which is more capable.
But remember, if you are looking at a "camcorder experience" you will be dissapointed. A DSLR video cam is a professional tool. Get ready to learn things like manual focus and manual video shooting.
Want a cam to shoot your kid running around? Do not go for this. Either take something like Panny FZ35 or buy a camcorder. If you still want a DSLR, go for Panasonic GF1 or something, which is expensive, but is the best internchangable lens video cam out there currently.
Thanks buddy!! I really dont want to record videos as I have a sony cam for that , I had an eye on 450 D since long. Can you suggest a good lens replacement of 18-55 ?
Old 19th April 2010, 16:54   #3643
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
Thanks buddy!! I really dont want to record videos as I have a sony cam for that , I had an eye on 450 D since long. Can you suggest a good lens replacement of 18-55 ?
The 18-55 IS lens is a very good lens. However, a dedicated landscape photographer may find it too narrow(28mm in 35mm speak).
So what you replace this with is entire your choice.
Want a walk around lens
Canon 18-135 or Canon 18-200 or Sigma 18-200(all stabilized) or even the Tamron 18-270 may fit your bill.
However, if you like wide angle, but do not care for ultra wide, there is the canon 15-85. Its expensive, but pretty nice for a walkaround.
Then you have the Canon 17-85 which is cheaper, but not so wide, and Sigma 17-70(OS or non OS is your pick).

So basically if you want an all purpose landscape walk around lens, with decent telephoto lens, go for the 18-XXX lenses depending upon your budget.
If you want slightly wider then the 17-XXX is good.
If you want proper landscape capability(24mm in 35mm speak), 15-85 is your only option as far as walk around lenses go.

Last but no the least is the ultra wide angle lenses (Canon 10-22, Tamron 10-24 etc.,)
Remember, UWA is a specialized lens, take it only if you are a hard core landscape guy. It will do very bad as a "walkaround or potrait" lent.

Other than that, no matter what you get, make sure you have the 50 1.8 in your bag. This is one lens everybody must have. Best VFM potrail lens ever made, with stunning IQ and great low light capability.

If my post has confused you, do not worry, DSLR lenses is a confusing thing.
Old 19th April 2010, 17:07   #3644
BHPian

Quote:
Canon 18-200 / Sigma 18-200(all stabilized) or Tamron 18-270
tsk1979
Which is good for occasional bird photography?

Regards
Mohan.G
Old 19th April 2010, 17:09   #3645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 18-55 IS lens is a very good lens. However, a dedicated landscape photographer may find it too narrow(28mm in 35mm speak).
So what you replace this with is entire your choice.
Want a walk around lens
Canon 18-135 or Canon 18-200 or Sigma 18-200(all stabilized) or even the Tamron 18-270 may fit your bill.
However, if you like wide angle, but do not care for ultra wide, there is the canon 15-85. Its expensive, but pretty nice for a walkaround.
Then you have the Canon 17-85 which is cheaper, but not so wide, and Sigma 17-70(OS or non OS is your pick).

So basically if you want an all purpose landscape walk around lens, with decent telephoto lens, go for the 18-XXX lenses depending upon your budget.
If you want slightly wider then the 17-XXX is good.
If you want proper landscape capability(24mm in 35mm speak), 15-85 is your only option as far as walk around lenses go.

Last but no the least is the ultra wide angle lenses (Canon 10-22, Tamron 10-24 etc.,)
Remember, UWA is a specialized lens, take it only if you are a hard core landscape guy. It will do very bad as a "walkaround or potrait" lent.

Other than that, no matter what you get, make sure you have the 50 1.8 in your bag. This is one lens everybody must have. Best VFM potrail lens ever made, with stunning IQ and great low light capability.
Valuable post, Tanveer. I was trying to understand walkaround lenses from the web, but your posts puts it down easily.

Also, your reaffirmation of the 50mm 1.8 will probably push me to buy it before I intend to; I have a great opportunity to take lots of portraits of relatives and friends when I vacation this May.. This makes me think now..

Quote:
If my post has confused you, do not worry, DSLR lenses is a confusing thing.
True statement.. lol.

Most Viewed