Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 18:33   #3601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
NOTE: I logged on to smartshoppers.in and saw the canon 50mm f1.8 being sold at 5,100/-. I think that's a steal, considering I paid about that much 7-8 months back.
Had seen it earlier. But isn't it the older generation Canon 50mm 1.8? Newer EF 50mm 1.8 II has been available for long at jjmehta for a little more.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...50_1p8_ii_c16/
http://www.jjmehta.com/webshop/

Last edited by janitha : 16th April 2010 at 18:34.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:36   #3602
BHPian

Hi Guys

got this link as a forwarded mail from a friend

Really worth a watch .....
26-Gigapixel Photo Sets New World Record

Gigapixel-Dresden.de - Large Size Panoramas

Last edited by maverick555 : 16th April 2010 at 18:37. Reason: link correction
Old 16th April 2010, 19:11   #3603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
Hi Guys

@ maverick555 - Thanks for sharing this awesome piece of information.

Mind blowing. One can actually see the time in the clocks of those (approx 3) towers.
Old 16th April 2010, 19:16   #3604
Senior - BHPian

Query

HellWrath & Tanveer,

Thanks for your responses. Can you tell me if either of 18-55 IS kit lens or 50mm F1.8 lens can be used to shoot macros? I have understood by reading around that there are dedicated macros lenses, but my query if either of the two lenses I've mentioned can also be used to shoot macros?

[oh boy! I just planned to not spend any more than the 55-250 IS lens after a month but now I'm tempted to look at the 50mm F1.8 too and already!! this hobby is going to ensure I become bankrupt]!!!!!!!!

aK
Old 16th April 2010, 19:27   #3605
BHPian

Guys,

How much would a year old Nikon D80 with 18-55 lens cost ? Iam getting it from a friend and both of us are at sea on prices !

Thanks
Old 16th April 2010, 19:36   #3606
Senior - BHPian

2theMax, if he is a childhood friend, ask him to gift it as a momento of his true friendship !

On a serious note, I found a 1 year old D80 available for 27k on BPC classifieds section. Probably that is the present value. Please cross check with other photography classifieds.
Old 16th April 2010, 20:16   #3607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
2theMax, if he is a childhood friend, ask him to gift it as a momento of his true friendship !
..Dude are you reading ?

@Shaj : Thanks will do.
Old 16th April 2010, 21:24   #3608
BHPian

Tamron 17-50 VC is NOT as good as the non-VC version apparently.
many sites rate it inferior to the non-VC version.

Plus its almost $200 expensive, dont know if VC is worth that much !

Waiting for Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS to hit the streets.
Old 16th April 2010, 21:53   #3609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Tamron 17-50 VC is NOT as good as the non-VC version apparently. many sites rate it inferior to the non-VC version. Plus its almost $200 expensive, dont know if VC is worth that much ! Waiting for Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS to hit the streets.
Hi abhi, you are on the same road where I am scratching my head and standing !!

I finished reading atleast 5 reviews and few youtube video reviews on Tamron 17-50 2.8. Didnt feel like buying one, its quoted around 18.5k on smarshoppers. Next option is Sigma 18-50 2.8 which doesnt have OS. Next is Sigma 17-50 2.8 with every feature under the sky but may not come to market until mid of the year. Then there is Tokina 16-50 2.8 but will not autofocus on my Nikon D60 also its 45k+. Then we have Nikon 17-55 2.8 but I will have to sell my wife for paying up 95k+.

Atlast I am landing on my earlier shortlisted product, my dear Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 DC OS MACRO HSM. Still open to suggestions !

Not intending to sell anything for a lens.
Old 17th April 2010, 00:33   #3610
BHPian

Hi shajufx,

Yeah. I just realized that we both are essentially looking for same range of lens.

Do you really think stabilization will be such an issue at this range?
For trial, I switched off stabilization on my kit lens and shot for a day, and almost 90% images came out crisp.

So I am wondering whether to pay that much extra for stabilization.
Also, I went to B&H store in NYC (photographers' Mecca) and played with
following lenses for almost an hour.
1. Sigma 18-50 EX 2.8 Macro
2. Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 OS HSM Macro
3. Tamron 17-50 2.8

And the Tamron was distinctly sharper than both Sigmas.
Dont know if the store had a bad copy of Sigma, but I felt Sigma wasnt having that much contrast. Even my kit lens performed better than Sigma on contrast front.

So I am confused.
Amazon has Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS listed for $669, which throws it off my list, since I refuse to pay $200 more just to add stabilization.

Let me know how your search goes.

Being in NYC, I also have a fairly good chance of picking a used lens for a bargain price. I dont know how active used lens scene is, in India.

Abhijit

Last edited by abhijitaparadh : 17th April 2010 at 00:34.
Old 17th April 2010, 01:38   #3611
Senior - BHPian

@harjeev,

i strongly recommend the IS lens to go with your kit. please read the review at photozone.de

All Tests / Reviews

regards,
govigov
Old 17th April 2010, 02:05   #3612
BHPian

Folks - I want to mature from my prosumer P&S to a good DSLR. My Nikon 8700 has been giving me company for 6 years and I love it. Ofcourse I want to buy Nikon D300S as an upgrade but it is way too expensive.

I have limited choices as I want my camera's body to be alloy/steel. And so many of the entry level DSLR are out of scope - like Canon Rebel series and Nikon 3000/5000/D90. My P&S has a alloy body and and it has never gave up on me, even with lot of abuse. Not that I want to abuse but we live in an environment that is abuse prone.

After some analysis - I have zeroed on Canan 50D and Pentax K7. My heart is on Pentax. As Canon 50D is a compromise and I would rather like to go for 7D but like D300S, it is out of budget. Now my question is - If I decide to go with Pentax K7...

1. Pentax doesn't seem to have lot of choices in lenses. How good are after market lenses from Sigma or Tamron? Will I have to compromise with lenses if I decide to go with Pentax instead of Nikon or Canon?

2. How much does it help to have a IS built in the camera rather than lense - because K7 is like that. What happens if I buy a lense with IS/OS (Image Stabilization) feature and put on K7. Will camera's IS interfere with lense's IS and I will be able to use only one at a time.

3. How is service support for Pentax in India?

Thanks for reading this long post and for all your suggestions.

P.S.: I will be buying in the US

Last edited by akbaree : 17th April 2010 at 02:11.
Old 17th April 2010, 07:34   #3613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Here is how DSLR grows on you and rules your brain as days passby
How true!!!

I was successful in brainwashing my friend to buy my Nikon D50. Now i am considering buying used Canon 30D or 450D body under 20k or a new DSLR. Which one will be the better chioice a verry less used 450D (5000 count) or new 1000D? I need your help in deciding. My budget is around 30K including the kit lens.

OT - when did you visited Ranganatittu 10th and 11th of this month?

Regards
Mohan.G

Last edited by mohang_j : 17th April 2010 at 07:39.
Old 17th April 2010, 15:25   #3614

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
Hi Guys

Sorry to correct that but it got surpassed this year by Paris 26Gigapixel

Its not big by a huge margin but technically Paris26Gp is currently world's largest Digital Created Image.
Old 17th April 2010, 15:49   #3615
BHPian

Hey. Looks like we are having the same dilemma. Mine slightly different.
I am a sucker for underdog who perform well. Ex. Fiat Adventure (you have one too, I know)
I too am in a dilemma as whether to jump ship from Pentax to Nikon (No Canon, for now) or stick to Pentax. My bro and me share a K200D and have 3 lenses (18-55, Bigma & 50/1.7). I am looking to buy myself one. K-7 was the obvious body choice in the Pentax lineup. Or K-x, which IMO probably has better IQ (JPEG wise), but the body is entry level (to change focusing method or drive, you have to get into menu), which I don't like. I am so used to my previous Pentax PZ1-p (great film SLR) and its control, that K200D is missing.
If I wanted to jump, Nikon D300s it would be. Or some replacement as the nikonrumors are hinting. But then, to get equivalent lenses, I would have to sell my kidney
To answer your questions.
1. Lenses range (that are in production) is not comparable to C/N. But, you get a lot in the used market. Sigma/Tamron/Tokina has their lenses available in Pentax mount as well, but generally, they get released a bit later than C/N. All these lenses can take advantage of the in body stabilization though.
2. The in body stabilization is very useful. Particularly heavy lenses like Bigma. Just have to make sure the shutter speed is 1/250 above (means bright light conditions). The lenses with stabilization can also be used. You can choose to switch off either the body or that of lens. Internet, you can find, the effects of using both stabilizations together.
3. Pentax@India. This is the worst part of Pentax. I gather there is a service center (in Bangalore at least), but only paid service (no warranty repairs). This is what I heard.

There is a small but growing (thanks to the +ve reviews of K-x) users in India (pentaxforums is a good friend)

I am waiting a bit longer to see if Pentax releases a K-7 with lesser price (probably with K-x's 12MP sensor)

-Siva

PS: Sorry for the long post

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Folks - I want to mature from my prosumer P&S to a good DSLR. My Nikon 8700 has been giving me company for 6 years and I love it. Ofcourse I want to buy Nikon D300S as an upgrade but it is way too expensive.

I have limited choices as I want my camera's body to be alloy/steel. And so many of the entry level DSLR are out of scope - like Canon Rebel series and Nikon 3000/5000/D90. My P&S has a alloy body and and it has never gave up on me, even with lot of abuse. Not that I want to abuse but we live in an environment that is abuse prone.

After some analysis - I have zeroed on Canan 50D and Pentax K7. My heart is on Pentax. As Canon 50D is a compromise and I would rather like to go for 7D but like D300S, it is out of budget. Now my question is - If I decide to go with Pentax K7...

1. Pentax doesn't seem to have lot of choices in lenses. How good are after market lenses from Sigma or Tamron? Will I have to compromise with lenses if I decide to go with Pentax instead of Nikon or Canon?

2. How much does it help to have a IS built in the camera rather than lense - because K7 is like that. What happens if I buy a lense with IS/OS (Image Stabilization) feature and put on K7. Will camera's IS interfere with lense's IS and I will be able to use only one at a time.

3. How is service support for Pentax in India?

Thanks for reading this long post and for all your suggestions.

P.S.: I will be buying in the US

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks