Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 15:57   #3421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
I am a novice photography enthusiast using a Olympus PS 6.3-63 3.7 since 3 years. I would like to progress to a DSLR. My friend recently purchased a D5000 and I liked the feel and IQ of the camera. However reluctant to go for it due to lack of inbuilt IS. I believe Nikor IS lenses are expensive as compared to IS lenses from other reliable brands, please correct me if I am wrong here.
I am thinking of getting the D90 body from US/Japan and procuring a good non IS lens from India. I understand D90 is a semi pro camera, however I would like to invest in a good asset that will not need replacement for next 6-8 years.
Please advice whether this is a right approach.
Hey Icemanz:

The D5000 is a good cam, but does not offer anything radically different from D3000. Suggestion could be go to for D3000 or upgrade to D90. The kit lens that come with these camera bodies are Vibration reduction enabled.

Also, Canon 500 & Canon 550 are fantastic camera bodies to own as well. Their pricing is in between the Nikon models mentioned above. Once more the KIT lens are IS.

On the question of IS lenses, Canon and Nikkor lenses are indeed expensive but there are several third party lenses with IS (OS, VC depends on the brands) which you can look at.

In-camera stabilization or in-lens, well the jury is out. While the former offers lower cost of ownership, the later provides apparently better performance as the stabilization is optimized to the lens type. But IS/VR/OS/VC is definitely worth the money spent.

My 2 cents!

Cheers!
fatboyslim

P.S: While buying Nikon camera bodies abroad, please do pay heed to the warranty conditions. DSLR Camera bodies have a country specific warranty while Nikkor lenses have worldwide warranty
Old 1st April 2010, 17:55   #3422
BHPian

Fatboyslim, thanks for the quick response. So you are suggesting on buying the body in India and getting a good IS lens from abroad due to warranty advantage. This for sure is a good point to consider. With respect to lens, is there a considerable price difference in procuring from US in comparison to locally here?

A D90 with non IS lens from sigma or Tamron will the IQ suffer?
Old 1st April 2010, 18:04   #3423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If the lens does not come by first week of April, I may as well buy it from the US and save 1000rs or so!
Tanveer, whats the update?
Old 1st April 2010, 21:35   #3424
Senior - BHPian

I think tanveer has taken a flight to chennai to screw the happiness of smartchaps.in !
Old 1st April 2010, 23:27   #3425
BHPian

shaju - april fools joke eh?
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:21   #3426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Does anyone know if the Canon 1000D comes with IS lens or even as an option?
Me brought a 1000D on 27th March w/ IS - had to pay 1200 difference and the IS lens is not included in warranty. The Body is still in warrenty. Brought it from Angel Foto - Fort - Mumbai.
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:37   #3427
BHPian

Looks like the Nikon mount is available on ebay.in. The seller named Dream Gadgets is from Chennai which makes me wonder if it is the same guy.

eBay India: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens NEW nikon mount (item 320508166289 end time 03-Apr-2010 00:40:57 IST)
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:08   #3428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
Fatboyslim, thanks for the quick response. So you are suggesting on buying the body in India and getting a good IS lens from abroad due to warranty advantage. This for sure is a good point to consider. With respect to lens, is there a considerable price difference in procuring from US in comparison to locally here?

A D90 with non IS lens from sigma or Tamron will the IQ suffer?
Hey Icemanz:

Yeah, you can do, but again. You can even buy the body from abroad. D90 pricing has become quite attractive lately. Depends on your appetite for risk. There are several members on this forum who did that and are very happy.

On the lens, I am not sure about the IQ of these lenses (I am not an expert) but yes, the auto-focus is slower in third party lenses atleast the ones which i could lay my hands on. But again, that should not matter if your photographic interests does not lie with subjects which require that.

I suggest you go with IS/VR/OS/VC lenses because they do offer significant advantages. If you have a budget which is fixed, it is better to go ahead with a cheaper camera body and relatively more expensive lenses.

Cheers!
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:11   #3429
BHPian

HI Guys:

Anyone know of a similar program like Canon Edge offered by Nikon? Can one register for canon edge being a Nikon user? Well, without buying a Canon and without getting shot at.
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:56   #3430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
HI Guys:

Anyone know of a similar program like Canon Edge offered by Nikon? Can one register for canon edge being a Nikon user? Well, without buying a Canon and without getting shot at.
You need to have Canon cam DSLR or P&S to attend these camps, may be just borrow some P&S from friend and attend these session
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:28   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_sweat View Post
Me brought a 1000D on 27th March w/ IS - had to pay 1200 difference and the IS lens is not included in warranty. The Body is still in warrenty. Brought it from Angel Foto - Fort - Mumbai.
What was the total cost of the product? Where exactly is the shop located?
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:15   #3432
Team-BHP Support

Canon by Canon

Bought this yesterday. Currently in exploring mode.

The DSLR Thread-s90.jpg
Old 3rd April 2010, 22:02   #3433
BHPian

Guys this is DSLR thread, please post regarding DSLR cameras
Old 4th April 2010, 00:34   #3434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Guys this is DSLR thread, please post regarding DSLR cameras
But the camera He used to get this shot was Canon 1D Mark II,if I am not wrong!

Return of the pocket-sized power house

Sorry for being OT.

Last edited by abhishek_bmw : 4th April 2010 at 00:40.
Old 4th April 2010, 02:21   #3435
BHPian

I do have very little experience in film SLR With Pentax MZ 30.
I will shift to DSLR.
So,after reading some books,Forums (including our TBHP threads),reviews,I am thinking of Canon 500D for me.I am thinking to add a 70-300mm lens as well,need input in this regard as well.
I have time in hand before buying and need some guidance.
I am thinking to buy the body with kit lens from India.
From this forum's thread I got Smartshoppers address.Will I buy from them or pay more and buy from a shop?
I got some email from Ebay India and saw some sellers are giving huge rebate (like they are selling Canon 1000D for 20,800 INR).I have only two or three buying experience from them (and have some very bad experience as well).
So to sum up,
Is 500D a good choice (if not,please suggest) and from where to buy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks