Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:45   #3361
Team-BHP Support

boyslim, when you say birding/wildlife, you have to be really serious about it. One can talk about 50-500mm or 150-500mm, but they are soft at the extreme ends. You may spend $1000 on a lens and not be happy with your results because of softness. When it comes telezoom, even a $1000 lens is a budget lens. You need to really work your equipment to get good results. It is better to stick with telephoto than telezoom.
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:07   #3362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When it comes telezoom, even a $1000 lens is a budget lens. You need to really work your equipment to get good results.
Besides remember at 500mm you gotta be rock steady to get clear shots at that focal length without optical stabilization.

That said at shutter speeds of 1/1000 or faster you should be able to get good shots with the Tamron (if you get a good piece - 3rd party lenses are notorious with QC) most reviewers find it sharper than the other 3rd party long zooms (150mm+) and the Bigma.
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:36   #3363
BHPian

@Shaju: MAte! I am blown away. I guess the lens worked for you. For a rank amateur like me, I guess 70-300mm should be enough. I had the same logic train looking at the other options available. Too pricey and too big, I guess. Saw some pictures of the sigma 150-500 mm on the net-the thing is BIG-fully extended and with lens hood. Not sure if one can shoot handheld with that irrespective of OS.

Moreover, somewhere in one of your posts, I read about very few Nikon users being happy with the Sigma 150-500 mm OS.

@samurai: Thanks for the advice. Very valuable indeed. I know at this point of time, I am not so serious to plonk my cash on even a US $1000 lens. Maybe, I should consider Shaju's example and your advice to work my existing equipment. I only have 18-105mm now

On your advice on telezooms, I reckon your advice is to go for the 70-300 VR as well for good comprise between cost and performance especially for a rank amateur like me. Did I understood you correctly?

Thanks guys, realy appreciate your comments!
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:36   #3364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Hi friends:

Another query related to laluks question? Is the Nikkor 70-300mm VR any good for wildlife including acceptable birding.

I wanted to procure this lens as my 18-105 lens is definitely short for wildlife. The decision is primarily driven by cost factor, however if this lens is short for even basic wildlife and birding, I might save up for something more expensive later on.

Thanks!
Projjal
Yes I think 70-300 is good range in budget also you have got VR.
DSLR photography is different then film in a lot of ways .

I was not getting decent pics from my Sigma 70-300 APO DG earlier and if I tried increasing shutter to high speed shot was darker. Jacking up ISO fixed the issue which was not possible on the fly in film era.

See the flying eagle shot I have posted in non-auto thread, that is my day 2 of bird photo hand held with out any image stabilization and is quite good. I am sure Nikkor 70-300 VR will be better that this.
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:48   #3365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
On your advice on telezooms, I reckon your advice is to go for the 70-300 VR as well for good comprise between cost and performance especially for a rank amateur like me. Did I understood you correctly?
No, what I am saying is that you have to be really committed to birding before you invest in it. You may have to wait hours and hours to get a photo-op, let alone a good shot. Birding is a difficult discipline. If you have that, for a given budget telephoto will be cheaper than telezoom, although telezooms are constantly catching up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
See the flying eagle shot I have posted in non-auto thread, that is my day 2 of bird photo hand held with out any image stabilization and is quite good. I am sure Nikkor 70-300 VR will be better that this.
You may be happy with that now, but when you see these...

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1560377

...you will become unhappy. That is why I gave up birding. I neither have the patience nor the will to invest into the expensive/heavy lenses needed for birding.
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:51   #3366
BHPian

Nikon D3000

Got the Nikon D3000 last weekend here in Chennai. Bought it with B&W for 26,500. 4GB card and Nikon bag complimentary came with the kit lens. Got just a scratch guard for the screen as a freebie, nothing else. But I am not complaining. My DSLR journey starts now I guess.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 22nd March 2010 at 18:52.
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:31   #3367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
That said at shutter speeds of 1/1000 or faster you should be able to get good shots with the Tamron (if you get a good piece - 3rd party lenses are notorious with QC) most reviewers find it sharper than the other 3rd party long zooms (150mm+) and the Bigma.
I've chanced to get a Tamron 200-500 in hand now and doing a few tests. Seems like a good piece till now. Its too light at 1.25kg compared to the Prime ones. Not yet got a chance to test some serious shots yet.
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:56   #3368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

You may be happy with that now, but when you see these...

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1560377

...you will become unhappy. That is why I gave up birding. I neither have the patience nor the will to invest into the expensive/heavy lenses needed for birding.
Nope I am still happy at least with these pics I do see an element of post processing so my novice day 2 eagle shots with out PP still hold good.

But yes I agree to you and would not dare to compare any further.

It just that in battlefield you can't compare howitzers with an SLR rifle. Taking a howitzer to closed encounter may be counter productive

So for exclusive bird shots you need to spend moolah but be sure you will be utilizing the stuff.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:01   #3369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
It just that in battlefield you can't compare howitzers with an SLR rifle. Taking a howitzer to closed encounter may be counter productive

So for exclusive bird shots you need to spend moolah but be sure you will be utilizing the stuff.
Actually those shots by Sreeraj (in that link) was taken using the lowly Olympus E-500 + Bigma ($1000). But the guy is a committed birder, that makes the difference.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:59   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
BM-10 is the translucent LCD Cover.
I think its DK-5. Its Eyepiece cover.
Cheers
I think it's too late reply, but I came across this thread now only.
It is indeed the eye-piece cover, used when taking long exposures.

By the way, I wonder why I did not check for this thread earlier. I'm also into photography and my current equipment includes an F80 (yes, I still shoot film) and D200 (with MB-D200) with Nikon 18-200 DX VR, 28-80, 70-300 (non VR), 50mm f1.8 and a Sigma Flash.
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:55   #3371
Senior - BHPian

On the first impression on Tamron 200-500, like Samurai said its soft at the far end. But it was fast enough like the Nikkor 70-300 in focussing. Will have to try several combinations now to get this fellows sweet spot. Read on the net f8 is the sweet one for him. Will let you know as the test progress. Will have him for atleast another few weeks with me.

At 850$ so so, may be this is what you would get - if you are only interested in reach this fellow is good, but quality - I'm still testing. Did not yet get that WOW factor.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:38   #3372
Team-BHP Support

Okay, an update.
smartshoppers.in guys say that they cannot ship on 25th, i.e. tomorrow. Last week they had given a commitment to ship on the 25th March. Now its shifted to next week.
No dealer in NCR has the tamron 10-24, so I am currently not canceling my order, as it would mean trying to get it from somebody in US(the route I do not want to take).
Lets see what they say next week. My patience will wear out by 5th april, if the lens does not come before the second week of April. then its order cancellation time.
I was so hoping to use this lens on a weekend trip for the good friday weekend, but these dumbos have put a spanner in the wrench.
I guess its a lesson for next time.. Do not trust the Desi Amazon clones!
Old 24th March 2010, 21:43   #3373
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, sad to hear that, I lost count on the days. When did you make the payment ? Such retailers survive only because of the extra cost one has to bear when importing directly. So, we dont have much of a choice. I can check it for you here in Bangalore and courier it to you, which should reach you within 3 days. Let me know.

Has anyone used the close-up filters on zoom lenses ? I find a set of 4 sold for around 850 bucks in ebay.in eBay India: 67mm Close up Lens (+1,+2,+4, Macro+10 ) * NEW* (item 260571032933 end time 25-Mar-2010 18:32:32 IST) (67 mm for my 70-300 lens). Please comment if someone has similar filters.
Old 25th March 2010, 00:34   #3374
BHPian

shaju, I have one from Opteka, got it from the US, I use it with the Canon kit lens, it is good in bright light.

I posted a pic on the non-auto image thread or the theme thread, search for "fly" to get a sample pic with a close up filter.

I think it is very good VFM, you can get a feel of macro photography without spending too much.

I paid around 80$.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:32   #3375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Tanveer, sad to hear that, I lost count on the days. When did you make the payment ? Such retailers survive only because of the extra cost one has to bear when importing directly. So, we dont have much of a choice. I can check it for you here in Bangalore and courier it to you, which should reach you within 3 days. Let me know.

Has anyone used the close-up filters on zoom lenses ? I find a set of 4 sold for around 850 bucks in ebay.in eBay India: 67mm Close up Lens (+1,+2,+4, Macro+10 ) * NEW* (item 260571032933 end time 25-Mar-2010 18:32:32 IST) (67 mm for my 70-300 lens). Please comment if someone has similar filters.
Thanks for the offer Shaju! But I have called up many dealers including jjmehta and the likes for Tamron 10-24, and even the Distributor which is based in Delhi. None of them have it.
I guess when the shipment comes, everybody will have it at the same time.
Lets see, I have a friend coming back from US by end april or so. If the lens does not come by first week of April, I may as well buy it from the US and save 1000rs or so!

As for ebay filters, I suggest if you do have to buy, buy from the chinese dealers(with good feedback rating). I have often bought stuff worth upto 1500-2000rs, and it arrives within 20 days without custom issues.
They are more prompt and professional than smartshoppers any day!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks