Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 16:16   #3286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Although its bit off-topic, Bigbazar in bangalore never charged that extra on my credit card, and I always use my card for shopping every week as all our groceries are taken from bigbazar since 2 years.

Guys, gurus, masters, countrymen, I need another help now. As the lens of my choice is not yet available in the market, I am considering the Nikon 70-300 VR for an immediate buy (probably within 2 days).

At present I have a grey quote of 25k and there is also a 2 months used lens available. The guy is quoting 24k (he too bought it without bill). What would be the best decision here, if I want to bargain on the used lens, whats the reasonable figure I can discuss with him ?
Hey Shaju:

I think you should go for it. I have searched in various online shops the best rate in India with B&W is around 30K INR. So 25 w/o B&W seems reasonable.

In the US, I think the price with warranty is around 23 K INR, but I guess that option is out as you need it immedietly.

Also, Tamron has annouced the launch of their 70-300 mm VC lens and the pricing should be attractive, (price not announced as yet). But again, that could take some time.

Could you tell us which did you get the quote from in the grey market?
Old 11th March 2010, 16:46   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Its from Photocircle for 25k. But the used one is an individual seller which is just 2 months old. He was quoting 24k telling the MRP 30+, but he too got it in grey price. Now whats the best I could bargain on that, thats the confusion. There is no point saving 1k and going for a used one, rather go for a brand new piece from the shop. What say ?
Old 11th March 2010, 17:03   #3288
Team-BHP Support

Today I head over to chandni chowk and see what I can get.
Old 11th March 2010, 17:11   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Its from Photocircle for 25k. But the used one is an individual seller which is just 2 months old. He was quoting 24k telling the MRP 30+, but he too got it in grey price. Now whats the best I could bargain on that, thats the confusion. There is no point saving 1k and going for a used one, rather go for a brand new piece from the shop. What say ?
Saju this might not amuse you much, but here is what i have to say. Before i brought my gear there was a used d70s for sale with a kit lens and a 70-300(dont know if its a VR). The deal was up for 18k. The total acctuations was >30k, and the camera was with a marriage photographer so i let this go. After i picked up my cam i went back to this guy asking if he could get me some minolta glasses. He was upset with me not picking up his stuff. So we spoke for like 30-40 minutes finally he said i will let the 70-300 go for 2k. I was like . Then immediately i thought of all the names i had in my head how were interested in photography. And i found no one. After 2 days i realised JK was looking for a used cam so i told him of both the deals, And he was ready to pickup the lens alone, now when i went back he told me that his friend who runs a studio in Dubai had sent him a visa and he is leaving so he needs his cam and lens. but he also told me that 2 years back he brought the lens for 5k from somewhere in chennai. So the best option is to befriend a local studio guy and use him as a link for used lens, if you look for this lens with people who know the current price you will never get a deal. All minolta lenses used to go less than 50$ but now their prices are sky rocketing.

Recently me and clever went to a old duty paid market in TVM, this guy had a lot of old lenses(most of them were canon, dont know if they are EOS mount), There was a 50mm prime dont know the mount but you could pick all of them for 3k, this dude had no idea of the price.

My point is if you are going for a used one go find a deal like this one, else just to save couple of thousands here and there there is no point picking up a used lens.

Go to chennai and look as the south indias DSLR market started and flourished there. If you go there look for some minolta lenses for me as well .

Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today I head over to chandni chowk and see what I can get.
Saw your post after i posted, please see if you could find some minolta lenses for sony there, look for a 75-300 and a 50mm prime please

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 11th March 2010 at 17:12.
Old 11th March 2010, 18:00   #3290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
My point is if you are going for a used one go find a deal like this one, else just to save couple of thousands here and there there is no point picking up a used lens.
Pramod, I got your point. The 70-300 what you mentioned should be the non-vr verson, because I also find one for sale in bpc classifieds, on calling up the seller, he said it is non-vr and quoted 4k which is very reasonable. I dont want to carry around my tripod like a sports or wildlife professional. So VR is the way to go. Anyway I will see whats the final bargain and take a decision by saturday.
Old 11th March 2010, 18:24   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
Big showrooms will not charge this because they go by MRP.
Small shops often sell goods below MRP(esp for electronics), and they make sure that even after adding 2% the final price does not rise above MRP
The biggest PC shop owner at Trivandrum (who is known to me for nearly 15 years) asked for 2.5% and I refused and paid by cash. But never seen any shop of any sort here at Kollam (which is a smaller town) demand it.It was always less than MRP.
Old 11th March 2010, 22:57   #3292
BANNED

Finally picked up the Nikon D3000 VR today. Rs.27000/- with bill and warranty. Got a bag (see picture 3), 4GB Card and a filter with it. The camera came with one year warranty + one year extended warranty. I'm still getting familiarized with it.

Now I need a carrying case for it.The CF-DC1 SLR Camera Case looks good. However the price is Rs.2250/- as per the Nikon India website. Any alternatives? I need the same shape.
The first snap is of the original case. I got something like the rectangular one in the third picture. What I want is something similar to the original or the last one.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-nikond3000front.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-semisoft_case.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-41c6sngafyl._sl500_aa300_.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-41nuq3ogqal._ss400_.jpg  

Last edited by Live To Jive : 11th March 2010 at 23:01.
Old 11th March 2010, 23:12   #3293
Senior - BHPian

Hi buddy, dont get small correct fit bags if you have any plans to add another lens to your list anytime in the next 1 year, because you will end up buying a bigger bag very soon. I am facing that issue right now, I have to buy a bigger bag as soon as I get my 70-300, because present bag can not take anything more. Lowepro and Kata have many good models under 4k.
Old 11th March 2010, 23:15   #3294
Team-BHP Support

chandni chowk, and exercise in frustration

Went by metro. Wasted money and time.
Nobody there has an UWA lens. They say, pay now, get it after 10-15 days. I am not even sure whether they will sell a new one, or old refurbished as new.
I guess I need to look for friends returning from USA.
Perhaps they can help!
Old 12th March 2010, 13:01   #3295
BHPian

Quote:
Nobody there has an UWA lens. They say, pay now, get it after 10-15 days. I am not even sure whether they will sell a new one, or old refurbished as new.
Perhaps they can help!
Hey Tanveer:

Thanks for the update. I think the US thing is a good idea than buying grey in India as we lower price and adiitionally it would have atleast an US warranty. Also, the refurbished market is fairly robust there.

@Shaju: I am facing the same issue, the D90 from JJ mehta has the bag bundled in, I forgot to ask them if I can offload the bag for a discount. I did order the camera with the bag. They generated the order number but there has been no transaction it seems-might be account of the dicey payment gateway that they have.

I have a sneaking feeling that D90 is going to be discontinued soon. Oh well! what the hell! Checked G.K vale's website could not find the D90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Finally picked up the Nikon D3000 VR today. Rs.27000/- with bill and warranty. Got a bag (see picture 3), 4GB Card and a filter with it. The camera came with one year warranty + one year extended warranty. I'm still getting familiarized with it.

Now I need a carrying case for it.The CF-DC1 SLR Camera Case looks good. However the price is Rs.2250/- as per the Nikon India website. Any alternatives? I need the same shape.
The first snap is of the original case. I got something like the rectangular one in the third picture. What I want is something similar to the original or the last one.
Congratulations & celebrations . Have fun and which is the first place you are heading to reclaim your life.

Cheers!
Fatboyslim

Last edited by Dippy : 12th March 2010 at 13:09. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:29   #3296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
I have a sneaking feeling that D90 is going to be discontinued soon. Oh well! what the hell! Checked G.K vale's website could not find the D90.
How did you get the feel on the D90 getting discontinued ? Any mention of that anywhere ? I thought D90 is one of the favourite among the enthusiasts, thats perfectly placed between beginner and advanced.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:40   #3297
Senior - BHPian

D90 was launched in Aug'2008, it will be definitely in the market for next 2 - 3 years.
Besides, it is one of the hot selling prosumer cameras from Nikon.
Old 12th March 2010, 15:34   #3298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps they can help!
Hi Tanveer,

Were there any old M42 screw mount lenses available ( PRATRIKA , MIR , Yashinon , Pentax etc ) ? How about buying M42 to EF-S adapter from e-bay and buying old UWA lenses ?

Actually I found one such shop dealing specifically in old film lenses in Seoul in Nov 2009 but at that time I did not have DSLR but I am toying with this idea ever since.

The only disadvantage is it will be full manual but that should not be problem for a fixed focal length prime.

Regards
Old 12th March 2010, 15:51   #3299
Team-BHP Support

I think I will stick to canon mount lenses rather than go by adapters and stuff. I have mailed smartshoppers.in and they assure me stock will be available by monday. So monday I call them again, and check out if lens in stock, If it is I simply buy it from them!
Old 12th March 2010, 16:02   #3300
Team-BHP Support

Here is my chat transcript
Quote:
Tanveer Singh : Subject
Tokina 11-16 F2.8
sonam : Welcome to www.smart shoppers.in How May I help You?
Tanveer Singh : Hello Can you help me regarding http://smartshoppers.in/product/toki...urer-warranty/ for canon mount
sonam : hello good afternoon
Tanveer Singh : Our earlier chat had gotten disconnected
sonam : please wait a moment i will check and tell you
sonam : sorry it is not available now
Tanveer Singh : Is there any chance of it coming anytime soon?
sonam : it will be available by next week
Tanveer Singh : nullstring
Tanveer Singh : thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks