Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 13:21   #3271
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Only 1000D comes with the non IS 18-55 lens. 450D and 500D kit boxes from canon have the Is lens
EOS 450D Kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Digital Cameras - Canon India
EOS 500D Kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Digital Cameras - Canon India

If your dealer is selling you any of these 2 without IS lens, then it means he has opened the kit and cheating you.
I was actually referring to the 1000D. I got this info by email from Canon. The dealer is known to BHPian Rohan Fonseca and we met him yesterday. He showed us the sealed box with the Non IS lens. Untimately decided on the Nikon D3000. We will be picking up 3 pieces (Rohan, a former BHPian & Myself).
Old 10th March 2010, 14:10   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
they said it was out of stock and will take atleast 2 weeks. Eventually after around 20 days I received a shipment from Interfoto,Mumbai(Lowepro dealers) but the invoice indicated the price to be around 1000 bucks less than what i had paid to smartshoppers.in.
That doesnt sound fair at all. I used their live chat and realised lens what I wanted was out of stock, therefore saved the situation of worrying after making a payment. I have seen shetala ads in better photography mags. They seem to be higher priced than anybody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
If you are looking for good deal (on cameras and lenses) and could tolerate upto 2 weeks delivery time I guess you can go to them.
As posted above, what I want is out of stock with them, therefore I am checking with photocircle itself.

Quote:
I checked the customs website, it says duty for camera lenses is 10%. So with customs duty, price will come to 25000 approx. So guys, tell me, has anybody imported lenses from amazon.com and what was the customs duty.!
I got my nikon 35mm, f/1.8 prime from bhphotovideo US by UPS courier. Lens costed only $200, shipping $61 (4 days lens reached my desk), but the duty and VAT in India came to Rs.1800 (20% of the actual lens cost). Eventually I paid 14k, which is the same price in photocircle (jayesh) with warranty. So, that was a big mistake having a US warranty lens with me while I could get the same here with Indian warranty.

Later I analysed the cost and came to realise, customs value the product according to the Indian MRP or closer to it, in my case they valued it to 14k and then the 10% service tax, .20% education cess, .10% secondary and higher education cess, clearing charge etc, all of that to a total of 20% or more of the US price.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:18   #3273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
That doesnt sound fair at all. I used their live chat and realised lens what I wanted was out of stock, therefore saved the situation of worrying after making a payment. .
Well my experience with them was little wierd. Here is the chat log.
sonam: Welcome to www.smart shoppers.in How May I help You?

pramod: hi, i am looking for some lenses for my sony alpha cam

pramod: i want a 75-300 lens and a 50mm/1.8 prime lens

pramod: can you let me know the price

pramod: you there?

pramod: hello

sonam: please wait a moment i will check and tell you

pramod:ok, thought i lost you

sonam: please give your contact number my technical team will call you

pramod: i dont have a phone now, i lost it last day

pramod: can you email me?

sonam: yes the both lens is available

pramod: oh great

pramod: price please

pramod: ok

sonam: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Autofocus Lens ? Smart Shoppers - Digital Cameras, Camera Lenses | Buy Latest Laptops, MP3 Players, Ipods in India

sonam: which brand is 50mm/1.8 lens

pramod: madam, i need my lens for a sony cam

pramod: the link is for a canon cam

pramod:ok thanks

sonam: please give your mail id we will mail you

pramod: pramodXXXX@XXXX.com

pramod: thank you

sonam: Thank you

Pramod
Old 10th March 2010, 16:30   #3274
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate the Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Picked it up from Jayesh (Photo Circle). Got a cheap UV filter & screen guard from him.
The box contains 4Gb SDHC card.
After registering for canon edge, got a bag and one year extended warranty.

All the best for your purchase.
Jaguar, thanks for the information. Is PhotoCircle the same which everyone here refer to as Jayesh Mehta in Bangalore? If so, I'll give him a ring to see if he also deals with FujiFilm cameras. I'm a little distracted towards a bridge camera for now [FinePix HS10] since Canon announced the EOS 550D, so i'll wait to understand what the differences in features and price is and decide accordingly.

Also, do you know if Photo Circle accepts Debit/Credit card?

Thanks again. Cheers.
aK
Old 10th March 2010, 16:30   #3275
Team-BHP Support

That's the reason I am scared. I may order a Sigma 10-20 from them, and get a Nikon mount instead of canon mount!
Old 10th March 2010, 17:41   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Well my experience with them was little wierd. Here is the chat log.
sonam: Welcome to ......How May I help You?
Pramod, that was similar to what I went through. Its the same sonam, probably a computer name, who talked to me. One thing I realised is, the sigma 17-70 f/2.8 OS version is not available anywhere in bangalore as of yesterday (its launched in Jan 2010), but sonam said its available, but no clue about the price. When I said nikon mount, again there was a confusion and cross-checking. So, somehow I felt there is no gurantee on what I am getting finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Jayesh accepts credit cards according to my discussion with him over phone last week. What I want is not yet with him, so I am still waiting.

Quote:
That's the reason I am scared. I may order a Sigma 10-20 from them, and get a Nikon mount instead of canon mount!
If you meant smartguys, same fear went through my mind after a few minutes live chat with them. Once you receive the wrong mount, they may not even attend your calls nor replace without giving you a nightmare !
Old 10th March 2010, 19:30   #3277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Is PhotoCircle the same which everyone here refer to as Jayesh Mehta in Bangalore?
Yes, Jayesh = PhotoCircle

Quote:
I believe he charges 2-3% service charge for card transactions.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:38   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Jayesh = PhotoCircle

I believe he charges 2-3% service charge for card transactions.

Thats illegal how can he charge you for the service tax he has to pay the bank per transaction, the bank can cancel the payment gateway there. Tell him to adjust his MRP in such a way that your 3% gets adjusted in the billing. Else tell him you are reporting this to the bank. I am sure he will budge.

Pramod
Old 10th March 2010, 20:03   #3279
BHPian

Hi guys,
I have a question related to memory card. I am using Canon 400D DSLR with a 2 GB CF Card. I want to buy higher capacity CF card. As there are so many brands available and within them for a particular capacity (say 4 GB), you get different writing speed also (like 30MB/s, 60MB/s, 90MB/s). Just want to know, which brand is good and whether these speed really make a difference if we are taking multi shots?
Old 10th March 2010, 20:39   #3280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats illegal how can he charge you for the service tax he has to pay the bank per transaction, the bank can cancel the payment gateway there.
Pramod, its very common here. You go to a tire shop, home appliance shop or many other places, 2% is added to the amount and swiped. My cousine runs a home appliance shop and I bought few things there, being a relative I had no exemption from that 2%. I dont know the technicality behind this practice. Some people might adjust it in the total amount (usually higher margin products), others wont.
Old 11th March 2010, 00:21   #3281
Senior - BHPian

@Pramod, I don't know the legalities but as shaju said, its very common. Most of the small computer shops do charge the same. Don't tell me you haven't come across any shop which did the same.

OT: So far, I have not seen garment shops, major brand outlets, restaurants, supermarket chains (spensers, foodworld etc) charge extra, however small the amount may be.
Old 11th March 2010, 07:57   #3282
BHPian

Quote:
pramod: hi, i am looking for some lenses for my sony alpha cam
pramod: i want a 75-300 lens and a 50mm/1.8 prime lens
sonam: please give your contact number my technical team will call you
sonam: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Autofocus Lens ? Smart Shoppers - Digital Cameras, Camera Lenses | Buy Latest Laptops, MP3 Players, Ipods in India
pramod: madam, i need my lens for a sony cam
pramod: the link is for a canon cam
sonam: please give your mail id we will mail you

A super smart receptionist with "nothing" inside doing "chat" job.
Could have trained her a bit.
If someone is not sure of things and asks for contact details, provide at first instance. Its safe for you.
Old 11th March 2010, 09:10   #3283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Pramod, its very common here. You go to a tire shop, home appliance shop or many other places, 2% is added to the amount and swiped. My cousine runs a home appliance shop and I bought few things there, being a relative I had no exemption from that 2%. I dont know the technicality behind this practice. Some people might adjust it in the total amount (usually higher margin products), others wont.
I have come accross this scenario, when i was there in hyderabad, It was big bazar, you buy anything and you pay 3% if paid by cc. I used to pay up then i saw a consumer awarness add in the news paper, it said if the shop owner forces you to pay any amount more than the MRP you can report and the bank will cancel his liscence to use a payment gateway.

Quote:
@Pramod, I don't know the legalities but as shaju said, its very common. Most of the small computer shops do charge the same. Don't tell me you haven't come across any shop which did the same.

OT: So far, I have not seen garment shops, major brand outlets, restaurants, supermarket chains (spensers, foodworld etc) charge extra, however small the amount may be.
This 2-3% is the service charge charged by the bank to this guy for using their machine, it usually happens like if there is a HDFC machine and you use an ICICI card on it its quite obvious that there will be a service charge, its same as banks charging you for using other bank ATMs. Why should some one pay for this charge, its like you pay for the electricty bill because the shop you go in for 5 minutes shopping has an AC. Just be very stern and tell them that, you need a detailed bill with the breakup mentioning this credit card service charge and trust me they will not give you that, insist that you need it else you are not paying the amount. If they ask tell them its to report to the bank that they are charging extra over an above the MRP. Its a crime, the consumer court will be on your side. Please wake up, this is a serious scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
A super smart receptionist with "nothing" inside doing "chat" job.
Could have trained her a bit.
If someone is not sure of things and asks for contact details, provide at first instance. Its safe for you.

True, my intention of putting this here is to make people aware that they should be ready for a shock when they recive their stuff from them.

Pramod
Old 11th March 2010, 09:20   #3284
Team-BHP Support

Big showrooms will not charge this because they go by MRP.
Small shops often sell goods below MRP(esp for electronics), and they make sure that even after adding 2% the final price does not rise above MRP
Old 11th March 2010, 12:09   #3285
Senior - BHPian

Although its bit off-topic, Bigbazar in bangalore never charged that extra on my credit card, and I always use my card for shopping every week as all our groceries are taken from bigbazar since 2 years.

Guys, gurus, masters, countrymen, I need another help now. As the lens of my choice is not yet available in the market, I am considering the Nikon 70-300 VR for an immediate buy (probably within 2 days).

At present I have a grey quote of 25k and there is also a 2 months used lens available. The guy is quoting 24k (he too bought it without bill). What would be the best decision here, if I want to bargain on the used lens, whats the reasonable figure I can discuss with him ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks