Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 16th February 2010, 20:15   #3151

Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I already have a Olympus P&S which was bought after my Cybershot P&s got stolen last year and I have experienced their shitty warranty service. Also the picture quality especially the colour rendition is no where close to Cybershot or Canon Power Shot. So I don't think I'll buy an Olympus.
I wouldn't touch a Olympus P&S even with a barge pole, so we are in agreement. But please don't judge Olympus dSLR by their P&S models. There is no camparison actually. I have not used Olympus service in my 4 years of dSLR ownership, never needed it.

Still, in India Olympus system is not for the faint hearted. Their service and resale value is really bad.
Old 16th February 2010, 21:14   #3152

I wouldn't touch a Olympus P&S even with a barge pole, so we are in agreement. But please don't judge Olympus dSLR by their P&S models. There is no camparison actually. I have not used Olympus service in my 4 years of dSLR ownership, never needed it.

Still, in India Olympus system is not for the faint hearted. Their service and resale value is really bad.
My Olympus P&S's battery charger conked out in the first 3 months and the dealer (after a lot of finding) told me that it was not covered in warranty. Worse still the replacement charger was not available even on paid basis. Lot of screaming, shouting and finally threatening to the National Marketing Manager of Olympus India resulted in they giving me a replacement charger F.O.C.

Since then I have decided to stay away from any Olympus product.

But if you ever need those numbers, I'll be glad to help.
Old 16th February 2010, 22:05   #3153

My entire system: Olympus E3*, E500, 12-60mm*, 14-54mm*, 50-200mm*, 40-150mm, 50mm*, EC-14*, EX-25* (All bought from Amazon site)

Star (*) indicates items that are weather-proofed. So far I have neither needed sensor cleaning nor repair.
Old 16th February 2010, 22:12   #3154

Thanks. Will check it out. I went to the Reliance digital here and was told that 450D has been stopped and now there is only 500D available after the base 1000D. 1000D is for 26k odd while 500D is for 48k here. At the above prices it makes sense to go for 450D but am worried but getting warranty service here in India for a US bought piece which is discontinued here.

I saw a Sony A (alpha) 100 DSLR with image stabiliser and 18-70 mm at price point lower than the D1000.

Anybody got any firsthand feedback on this model?

Alpha 200 with kit lens cost approx 27-28k almost similar to 1000D and D3000.

There an offer for Canon models in India.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:25   #3155

Sony entry levels are not very good when it comes to high ISO performance. ITs the mid and high end range which is good.
If you want to try and alternate system, pentax is really good too. The cameras are all rounders, and good value for money.
But remember, in India, unless you are buying Canon or Nikon, getting lenses etc., is difficult, esp in the grey market.
Buy the 450D instead of 1000D. Its just 60$ more, and you won't regret the extra 60$ spent!
Old 17th February 2010, 10:44   #3156

Thanks. Will check it out. I went to the Reliance digital here and was told that 450D has been stopped and now there is only 500D available after the base 1000D. 1000D is for 26k odd while 500D is for 48k here. At the above prices it makes sense to go for 450D but am worried but getting warranty service here in India for a US bought piece which is discontinued here.
AB, I suggest to go for 450D instead of 1000D, reasons already listed by Tanveer, even if its discontinued you will get the warranty service. And if you can stretch a bit, 500D can be the friend for long time
Old 17th February 2010, 10:47   #3157

Sony entry levels are not very good when it comes to high ISO performance. ITs the mid and high end range which is good.
If you want to try and alternate system, pentax is really good too. The cameras are all rounders, and good value for money.
But remember, in India, unless you are buying Canon or Nikon, getting lenses etc., is difficult, esp in the grey market.
Buy the 450D instead of 1000D. Its just 60$ more, and you won't regret the extra 60$ spent!
Good thing about Pentax Kx is low light performance and K7 is a good alrounder weather sealed one.

If you master manual focus and OK with used lens then there is no issue of getting old K mount lenses ,Pentax was popular in India in film era.Low resale value also means cheap 2nd hand lens. I heard that people purchased Wide angle lenses for as little as 500 - 2500 Rs in India Calcutta is the hub for getting these lens. Also M42 ( screw mount) to K mount adopters are available which opens up a lots of avenues.

About 450D Check with some camera store like GK Vale it is very much there and going cheap with a dual lens kit ( 18-55 and 44-250 IS) at nearly same price point as 500D Kit.

One point Canon does not provide International warranty but still if you purchase from U.S.A you can get paid service in case you need for the money you saved. The only kind of service you may need initially is sensor cleaning which can be DIY if you are brave or may be adjustment if you have backfocussing issue with some lens

In case of Pentax there is a world wide unconditional warranty but only authorized service center in India is Thakral in Delhi and Camera shops in cities like Bangalore and Hydrabad send to Thakral .

So Pentax situation in India is similar to Fiat ( before tie up with Tata) good product but patchy service.

Last edited by amitk26 : 17th February 2010 at 11:00.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:55   #3158

Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Good thing about Pentax Kx is low light performance and if you master manual focus and OK with used lens then there is no issue of getting old K mount lenses ,Pentax was popular in India in film era.

Low resale value also means cheap 2nd hand lens. I heard that people purchased Wide angle lenses for as little as 500 - 2500 Rs in India. Also M42 ( screw mount) to K mount adopters are available.
But the question is how widely are these accessories available in India. I once had a Yashica SLR (Film Type) and getting lenses was a pain. I don't want to get stuck in that situation again.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:09   #3159

But the question is how widely are these accessories available in India. I once had a Yashica SLR (Film Type) and getting lenses was a pain. I don't want to get stuck in that situation again.
Yes you are right , That is why I chickened out and bought Canon 500D despite Kx beating it in almost every department including price.

In the internet era things have changed a lot and if you really need a lens then Pentax forums , Adorama , KEH , Ebay are places to look for.

There are lots of used manual K mount and M42 lens on internet

For other accessories ( hoods , caps , straps , cases) look at dealextreme and ebay.

Also if you are fond of hunting bargain at old photographic shops in cities like Delhi and Calcutta you can get 2nd hand lens.
But for used stuff you need to have some DIY knowledge to judge the quality and clean them if required yourself.( See lens cleaning pics from clevermax on this thread)

So my conclusion was if you have time to spare and DIY spirit then Pentax is good choice but if you need regular support from a service center such as getting sensor cleaned then stick to Canon.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:42   #3160

Basically they are different technologies.
CMOS is complementary metal oxide semiconductor, and CCD is Charge coupled device.
From a laymans terms think CCD to be analog
In the end, don't read too much into CCD/CMOS debate, and get a cam which suits your needs
Rightly said tsk.

As said above, CCD is the older technology, and CMOS was being envisaged as the new age replacement for CCD initially, because all believed that CMOS technology will produce cheaper, less complex and better image sensors, but wasn't really the case when CMOS technology matured to present day situation.

You can say that a Cmos sensor has the image processing integrated onto the chip while a CCD sensor needs another image processing chip to work in conjunction with that. By image processing, what I mean is getting the digital image data right out of the sensor.

I saw a Sony A (alpha) 100 DSLR with image stabiliser and 18-70 mm at price point lower than the D1000.
Anybody got any firsthand feedback on this model?
You saw new A100 in a shop? A100 is a discontinued model for long. Even the A200 is not available now as they sell the upgraded version as A230.

Last edited by clevermax : 17th February 2010 at 11:53.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:02   #3161

This is my first post in this section. As you must have guessed by now, I'm a complete newbie to DSLR's. Till now I've just been using the normal digital camera's. I wan't to upgrade to a DSLR. Since I'm new to this, I thought of going in for an entry level model. Kindly guide me on what to pick up. I gone through this thread and some of the stuff just went over my head. So when you reply, keep in mind that I have no knowledge on this subject and I'll be asking a lot of stupid questions.

BTW I just found this review on the net.
Olympus E-420 Review - Digital SLR Photography
Is this model suitable for me?
Old 17th February 2010, 15:00   #3162

Are lint free wipes similar to PEC-PAD available in local shops easily / cheaply or does it make sense to procure them from abroad ?

Same question goes to Eclipse sensor cleaning liquid.

I have no immediate cleaning needs but my wife is in US so she can bring back the stuff purchased on net for future
Old 17th February 2010, 15:08   #3163

Are lint free wipes similar to PEC-PAD available in local shops easily / cheaply or does it make sense to procure them from abroad ?

I have no immediate cleaning needs but my wife is in US so she can bring back the stuff purchased on net for future
Even if they are available here, the price wouldn't be cheap. So would make sense getting them from US.

: I get my Gillette Fusion blades from US/Europe as they are generally not available and when they are, cost double of what I would get them in US/Europe departmental stores.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:11   #3164

Amit, Lint free paper booklets are available in India, in most of the big camera shops. They come with lens cleaning kits as well. I got one with a lens cleaning kit. There's no need to procure that alone from abroad.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:16   #3165

Buy 99.9% pure ethanol from lab supplier shops. This is what eclipse is, pure ethanol. Make sure you do not get "denatured" or 99% pure(too high water content). To test whether you have pure ethanol, put on smooth aluminum foil, and set fire to it. Should not leave a mark or residue.