Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:07   #3046
Senior - BHPian

Need help in building a system

Guys,

I need some inputs:

I am getting the Nikon D90 + 18-105 kit lens from the US. I have shot extensively with my Canon S5IS (using Av, Tv and manual modes), but this is my first DSLR. I plan to build up my kit in phases because of obvious cash flow + learning curve issues.

Phase 1:
• David Busch D90 guide
• Bag(s):
o Kata DR 467 (for carrying equipment + laptop + other stuff) – mainly for travelling/hiking AND
o Lowepro Cirrus TLZ 25 (for walkaround)

Phase 2:
• Tripod: Not sure about how much I should spend, and whether the expensive option will be worth it:
o 486RC2 ballhead, 190X ProB Tripod (most expensive) OR a good Slik tripod with built in ball or pan head (middle of the road) or Vivitar 3XXX series (least expensive)
• Flash (perhaps SB 600)
• Filter set
• Remote

Phase 3:
• Prime 50/1.8 Nikon lens
• 70-300 VRII Nikon lens

Phase 4:
• TBD. I am sure I will get greedy once I have got the taste of blood

I have a few of questions:

1. Am I approaching ‘building up a DSLR system’ in the correct way? Is there anything I should include/remove?

2. What’s the Indian condition feedback about the Kata DR 467 bag? I was also looking at Lowepro Fastpack 350...(I have read the reviews on the net) – are durability and protection levels similar (for those who have seens/felt the bags)?

3. What tripod option should I go for, given that I want to combine quality with durability with VFM (wishful thinking)? Has anyone used Slik?

4. Is there another budget lens combo that you would like to suggest instead of what I have chosen? Keep in mind that:
• I have already bought the 18-105
• I want the 70-300 because I like taking long range shots e.g. of wildlife (4 & 2 legged), kids/sports etc. and want decent zoom. My S5IS with its 12X zoom did a pretty decent job given its limitations, except having noise issues.
• Didn’t want an 18-55 + 55-200 combo since there will be too much overlap with the 18-105. And I don’t want the 18-200 because of price (though I prefer a single lens for portability and ease of use), and lesser IQ compared to the above combo.

Thanks for reading the long post.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 3rd February 2010 at 17:14.
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:29   #3047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Canon service center reach is better in India than Nikon.
Thats a fact which I realised recently. Even the Nikon India website shows blank page for many months (try it from nikon global site or through the direct country site = both reach the same blank page) , I have no clue what they are smoking these days !!
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:40   #3048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thats a fact which I realised recently. Even the Nikon India website shows blank page for many months (try it from nikon global site or through the direct country site = both reach the same blank page) , I have no clue what they are smoking these days !!

Canon India honours foreign warranties (e.g. for a camera purchased in the US) - I have had a first hand experience with this, when Canon replaced a defective/damaged part at no cost for a compact digital purchased from Amazon. On the other hand, Nikon India honours only Indian warranties.

I did think long and hard before settling for Nikon, but from Nikon's press releases and recent market share increase, it seems that they will be improving their India focus.
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:03   #3049
Team-BHP Support

Nilanjanray, nice to see you have planned your moneypit in phases. But it hardly works that way. First, execute phase 1. Then enjoy it for few months. Most probably you'll rewrite the remaining phases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In 4/3 also, you will see that the sweet spot changes lens to lens.
I think the small sensor system has sweet spot for most lenses around F5.6 or so, rather than F-8
Here is a quote from Photozone: Please note that four-thirds cameras have a different diffraction characteristic than APS-C or full format cameras. The real-world sweet spot, the point of highest resolution, is generally around f/4. Therefore it's hardly possible to improve the performance by stopping down when using (such) slow speed lenses. Remember that f/8 on a four-thirds camera is comparable to f/16 on a full format camera.

Source: Olympus Digital Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6 ED Review / Test Report - Analysis
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:24   #3050
Senior - BHPian

DoF calculator for Symbian S60

the above link will take you to a page from where you can download the dof calculator for the phone, i was searching for this since tsk mentioned about the same.
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:36   #3051
BHPian

@Rudra
I second you in wanting to go for nothing other than a full frame. I was recently shooting with my friend's 7 d (which is a great camera ) and what i found most disturbing was, that I had to move farther from my subject when i wanted my composition to fit into the frame. That made me feel very disconnected from what i am clicking, as i believe in getting closest to your subject most of the time, as it creates an interaction which works when a viewer sees the final picture. This is especially true when i do street and portraits. Plus, once u taste the full frame view, i think its always tough to re adjust to crop sensors.
Why not the 5D Mark 2?
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:04   #3052
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Why not the 5D Mark 2?
You mean 5Ds Mark II. That's there and I mentioned here before too. I'm just thinking which way to go.
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:18   #3053
BHPian

5Ds mark II? There is no 5Ds Mark II right? Or am I way behind? I thought there is only 5D and 5D Mark II as of now.
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:38   #3054
Team-BHP Support

Ooops! my mistake. Forgive this old man. Navin asked me the same and I said 'S' as it stands for full frame.
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:39   #3055
Team-BHP Support

Rudra is overworked... there is no 5Ds. The 5D itself is full frame.
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:42   #3056
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need an urgent help. My order with adorama didnt go through, althogh the order number was generated. My credit card transaction was shown as approved, but I never saw the Mastercard Secure password page. Now adorama support mailed me to try again, but also revealing there is no 'gift' option for international shipping. Means it will invite customs duty here.

Is there any other way I could get the product here without duty ? My total order is only worth US$209. Please advise. I have seen someone posting their international shipping somewhere in our threads. Any suggestions welcome ! Thanks.

Last edited by shajufx : 3rd February 2010 at 21:44.
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:44   #3057
BHPian

@Rudra
Haha, I thought so. And yeah this young man here is very forgiving, especially to old men who take brilliant snaps
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:48   #3058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Is there any other way I could get the product here without duty ? My total order is only worth US$209. Please advise. I have seen someone posting their international shipping somewhere in our threads. Any suggestions welcome ! Thanks.
Try calling 20north.com, they will buy it and send that as Gift.
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:10   #3059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Rudra is overworked... there is no 5Ds. The 5D itself is full frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@Rudra
Haha, I thought so. And yeah this young man here is very forgiving, especially to old men who take brilliant snaps
No seriously guys, I'm really standing at the edge. Getting back from work and doing things like this is a killer..

The DSLR Thread-topblk.jpg

Trial lighting shot for a black car. Done with 1:18 model to know what all lights and numbers of white screen/reflector panels we need before working out any cost estimate.
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:16   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Try calling 20north.com, they will buy it and send that as Gift.
I tried 20north, but their estimation to buy from adorama and shipping comes over 16k which is higher than the product cost in Bangalore with warranty (14k)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Trial lighting shot for a black car..
You are like a magician to me, can not miss a chance to meet you anymore (team-bhp meets). !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks