Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:48   #3016
Team-BHP Support

So Rudra, try the blower method. Its safe, and will take care of normal not so stuck particles.
As for second body.. you looking FF or the 7D?
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:13   #3017
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Ok first off

Nikon 3000 :

1. Has lesser buttons and is more menu driven, this can be a irritating thing later on where u have to go through the menu for small things.

2. Has a bigger LCD

3. no DOF button

4. no front scroller.

5. no live view mode, if you really need it.

6. Has spot metering.

7. You get a VR lens in the kit.

8. Guide mode is easy for beginners.

9. CCD sensor

Canon 1000D

1. Non IS lens

2. NO spot metering

3. More button driven interface, independant button for iso. This is very usefull.

4. Live view mode present.

5. Smaller LCD

6. DOF button.

7. Battery pack / Vertical Grip available!

8. CMOS sensor

Other than that both cameras will perform similarly and you will get great results with both, recently one of my friends bought a 1000D for 24K with b/w! I had a 1000D myself but i've given it to my dad now. I'm looking for a Dslr too

happy shooting!

Last edited by aZa : 3rd February 2010 at 03:14.
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:50   #3018
BHPian

@Tanveer
I use the rocket blower, it really works most of the time. But there are some adamant dust particles, that still stay on my sensor no matter what I do! And for that, the most stress free method of cleaning for me it give it to the camera service guys.
@Rudra
How should one learn to light like that! Brilliant stuff.

Regards,
TG.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:46   #3019
BANNED

For a beginner it doesn't matter so the simple answer is- choose the one which costs lesser.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:50   #3020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I am looking to buy a basic DSLR and am stuck between Nikon and Canons 3000 and 1000. I am a bit inclined towards the Nikon, but I want experts opinion on the same.
Canon and Nikon are some of the best brands when it comes to DSLRS. Go with the one you like, they are both super capable DSLRs for someone coming new into the arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
However with Nikon, it is compatible only with Nikon lenses, hence in the longrun cost may go up very high
The Dealer doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. .

You can Tamron and Sigma your Nikon too, there are some minor caveats. D3000 doesn't have an inbuilt motor and is not compatible with some old lenses. Chances of you facing the issue (unless you have some legacy DSLR glasses) is minimal.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 3rd February 2010 at 08:54.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:54   #3021
BHPian

I don't think DSLR is for beginners, one gets in little serious photography then he buys a DSLR.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:59   #3022
Senior - BHPian

Hi dream,

You have told about the brands but did not mention about the Mega pixels. In my experience the prices of the Camera goes down from the initial price. Once a new model comes it is priced high and after a year it goes down same policy is applied for the Mobile phones too.
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:58   #3023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I had this dead-pixel/dust kind of problem with my pics. I couldn't clone it out using Photoshop either. Finally, I went totally low-tech. I used my finger and scratched on the computer screen. That fixed the problem, the dust particle went away.
I also employ such low-tech stuff sometimes - when internet is so slow and pages take ages to load, I just tap on both sides of the monitor - that's enough to make the stuck data packets flow to the screen smoothly and the page will get loaded.
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:40   #3024
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Camera goes to Canon next week.Need to get a fix on second body purchase before I leave for the mountains..
5D2? after all it is FF.

Quote:
I'm not comfortable with any method any more.
Same here. My niece sends her camera and lenses for service ever so often (every 6-8 months). She has the time and energy to go in person so I give my camera and lenses to her and since she is doing my work she gets to use my car and driver so it works for both of us.
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:49   #3025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
5D2? after all it is FF.
5Ds mark II is currently the only option as I see. Have no clue when they'll introduce 1Ds Mark IV and what kind of cost. I surely don't want to go for 1Ds Mark III. Alternatively If I can buy a 1st hand 1Ds Mark II. I really don't mind about 12 bit processing and Digic 2 chip. It's still perfectly all right for my kind of work.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd February 2010 at 10:50.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:00   #3026
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@Tanveer
I use the rocket blower, it really works most of the time. But there are some adamant dust particles, that still stay on my sensor no matter what I do! And for that, the most stress free method of cleaning for me it give it to the camera service guys.
I sent my cam just once, when canon was running a free service camp.
Otherwise I use the nylon makup brush. Blow air into the brush with rocket blower, lightly brush the sensor, and then simply use rocket blower on the sensor.
Done this many times, and I make sure that the battery is fully charged. when I put the camera in sensor clean mode

Quote:
5Ds mark II is currently the only option as I see. Have no clue when they'll introduce 1Ds Mark IV and what kind of cost. I surely don't want to go for 1Ds Mark III. Alternatively If I can buy a 1st hand 1Ds Mark II. I really don't mind about 12 bit processing and Digic 2 chip. It's still perfectly all right for my kind of work.
5D MKII is a great camera. But why aversion to crop bodies. I think 7D with its 18MPix will make an excellent backup camera. You could probably get the tokina 11-16 F2.8 lens as a wide angle lens for that body
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:06   #3027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
5D MKII is a great camera. But why aversion to crop bodies. I think 7D with its 18MPix will make an excellent backup camera. You could probably get the tokina 11-16 F2.8 lens as a wide angle lens for that body
Tanvir, I'm not too bothered about higher mega pixel but full frame. I know 7D is a great machine.

But I have a mental block about anything less than 24/36. I cannot give you a logical reason as why.

I don't have any idea about 3rd party lenses. I'm sure they are very good nowadays.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:08   #3028
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
5Ds mark II is currently the only option as I see. Have no clue when they'll introduce 1Ds Mark IV and what kind of cost. Alternatively If I can buy a 1st hand 1Ds Mark II..
1. 1st hand 1Ds II? where you going to find that? 2nd hand maybe but 1st hand?

2. Are you talking about the Mark V? because the Mark IV is already out.
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV announced: 16.1 megapixels, 45-point autofocus, and extreme ISO ranges of its own -- Engadget

Canon 1D Mark IV announced - links - SLR gear - Photography
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:27   #3029
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. 1st hand 1Ds II? where you going to find that? 2nd hand maybe but 1st hand?
According to Amazon 1st hand body is still available but the price is obnoxious at $4,499.95 See here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
2. Are you talking about the Mark V? because the Mark IV is already out.
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR
I'm talking about 1Ds Mark IV (S for full frame). Unless they launch that as Mark V.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:28   #3030
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tanvir, I'm not too bothered about higher mega pixel but full frame. I know 7D is a great machine.

But I have a mental block about anything less than 24/36. I cannot give you a logical reason as why.

I don't have any idea about 3rd party lenses. I'm sure they are very good nowadays.
You shoot mostly at F16, so unless you are shooting at F1.8 20mm, the wider DOF of the Crop sensor won't really matter.
I suggest, you atleast try to get your hands on 7D for a week or so, and see the image quality etc.,
You can download some RAW files online, and see them for quality and pixel peeping.

On an unrelated note, I see you shoot 20mm at F16?
Why so. Why not use a F8 etc., which is the sweet spot for lens, and you are atleast 8 feet away from the subject, it will give you everything between 4.5 feet to infinity in focus
This is the DOF calculator
Online Depth of Field Calculator

I am using the java version of this calculator in my phone. So when I take a shot, lets say 18mm, F4.5
The calculator tells me my hyperfocal distance is 12.5 feet.
So while doing star trail photography, I focus at any object(eg distance light) farther than 12.5 feet, and I will know that the stars will be in focus and I can just flick to MF and keep on shooting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks