Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 13:00   #2296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
Pardon my ignorance but is there any P&S except Casio EX-F1 that has shutter speed of 1/8000 ???

There is a lot to DSLR than just changing lenses, its about FLEXIBILITY and CONTROL than anything else.

Cheers
Well yes if you use a Canon and have space on SD card to load CHDK.

CHDK firmware usage/AllBest - CHDK Wiki

CHKDK is the reason to buy Canon P&S. I will try to post some of my pics from my Canon P&S with CHDK

Any way this is a DSLR thread so I wont go beyond this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If it was me i'd take the 500D kit. The 40D has a lot of features I never use except maybe for the faster fps. It really depends on your need if you need the weight and feel (and maybe better reliability) of the 40D get it if you are a casual family photographer then the 500D makes more sense.
Thanks for the sane Advice Navin-ji . I am weary of spending money on things which I may never use. Till now I could not locate what exactly I will miss if I buy 500D instead of 40D so I assume it is something which I will never use LOL .

As per ergonomics I am pretty much OK with bad ergonomics as probably I will never shoot for hours like pro and in case I do so for a day or two I guess I can live with a little sore hand.
My schedule will not leave me time to shoot whole day anyway.

I think my purchase can be postponed for one more month now as my project work will keep me extremely busy till 25th Dec and no point in buying a cam and keeping it at home,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Most importantly as you are still deciding or maybe have decided on Canon, it is always wise to do a comparison of the lenses that you will need and the relative price difference between similar lenses across systems..
Umm this leaves me confused again , I almost thought that I am decided on 500D but in case anyone has done some sort of comparative analysis which outweighs canon please do let me know.
As aforementioned I think I can postpone my decision easily for one month now due to my schedule.

Last edited by theMAG : 26th November 2009 at 15:49. Reason: Back-back posts
Old 26th November 2009, 13:16   #2297
Team-BHP Support

I think SPARKled is talking about third party lens manufacturers here.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:27   #2298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I might miss the canon-edge program. But I'm happy with the price.
Congrats. I am not sure about canon-edge, but you can join there workshops, I joined couple of them.

The DSLR Thread-nov-09-mailer.jpg
Old 26th November 2009, 13:44   #2299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Umm this leaves me confused again , I almost thought that I am decided on 500D but in case anyone has done some sort of comparative analysis which outweighs canon please do let me know.
As aforementioned I think I can postpone my decision easily for one month now due to my schedule.
Canon is a brilliant choice if you have set your eyes on it. You cant go wrong. I was talking of all your future lens choices and you inclination to shoot at particular focal lengths. For example I mostly shoot birds/wildlife so reach is most important for me. If I were to start again on a budget, I would have given Olympus a serious thought compared to my existing Nikon gear. the Oly 70-300 could have easily given me a decent 600 mm which is not possible on a budget with the Nikon without TCs. So my advice was to possibly identify focal lengths that are most important to you and then see what each system offers at those price points.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:02   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
Well yes if you use a Canon and have space on SD card to load CHDK.

CHDK firmware usage/AllBest - CHDK Wiki

CHKDK is the reason to buy Canon P&S. I will try to post some of my pics from my Canon P&S with CHDK

Any way this is a DSLR thread so I wont go beyond this.
And how many people do you suggest will use CHDK. BTW we discussed CHDK few pages back
Old 26th November 2009, 14:08   #2301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If it was me i'd take the 500D kit. The 40D has a lot of features I never use except maybe for the faster fps. It really depends on your need if you need the weight and feel (and maybe better reliability) of the 40D get it if you are a casual family photographer then the 500D makes more sense.
Few features that attracted me towards 40D: AF-ON button is something that i'll find useful on the 40D. 9 cross type AF sensors for faster focus and better response. Better lowlight high ISO quality. Second dedicated LCD screen to view settings is a boon and adds to userfriendliness. Second command wheel. Prism viewfinder with better coverage and magnification and brighter, xxxD all hae pentamirror. Better handling and ergo - the grip is thick and not slim like the xxxD, with 400D i had trouble holding the camera for long since my fingers would hurt trying to grip it well.

Apart from this a feel good factor (and maybe better durability) due to the magalloy body and fit 'n finish.

I have only listed what i found more attractive over the 500D.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:44   #2302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And how many people do you suggest will use CHDK. BTW we discussed CHDK few pages back
Quite a lot who want bang for buck and are little aware. There is a thread on T-BHp dedicated to CHDK itself and check CHDK site to find how popular it is.
Isn't it nice that you get features which are not available on entry level DSLR for instance 1/8000 shutter speed ?

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but is there any P&S except Casio EX-F1 that has shutter speed of 1/8000 ???

There is a lot to DSLR than just changing lenses, its about FLEXIBILITY and CONTROL than anything else.

Cheers
And how many entry level DSLR even have this 1/8000 ?
Nikon D60, D90 , D3000 and D5000 have 1/4000 as max.
Canon 500D and 1000D have 1/4000 max and Canon 40D and 50D have 1/8000 max shutter speed. similarly 1/8000 is in costlier Nikon 300 and 700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
Hi,

I having D90 with 18-105 & 55-200 lens, i
Old 26th November 2009, 16:12   #2303
Distinguished - BHPian

Sankar - which DSLR did you end up buying finally?
Old 26th November 2009, 16:50   #2304
BHPian

Chandini Chownk Purchases

Hey all

I was just wondering if anyone of the bhpians have experience of purchasing stuff from Chandini chownk. Tripods, lenses, flash etc.

Thanks
m2s
Old 26th November 2009, 16:52   #2305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Sankar - which DSLR did you end up buying finally?
Mahesh, i bought EOS 40D. Package yet to arrive.
Old 26th November 2009, 17:00   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just used it yesterday though not on a DSLR but on a P&S camera (canon a610). There are so many new additions, that I have to allocate a day to explore each of them. For now aperture is upto f16 (earlier it was only upto f8), Shutter speed increased to 1/64,000 from 1/2,500, un-believable!!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 26th November 2009 at 17:12.
Old 26th November 2009, 17:11   #2307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Hey all

I was just wondering if anyone of the bhpians have experience of purchasing stuff from Chandini chownk. Tripods, lenses, flash etc.

Thanks
m2s
Bought my Nikon D5000 from CC, last week
Old 26th November 2009, 17:13   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Quite a lot who want bang for buck and are little aware. There is a thread on T-BHp dedicated to CHDK itself and check CHDK site to find how popular it is.
Isn't it nice that you get features which are not available on entry level DSLR for instance 1/8000 shutter speed ?

And how many entry level DSLR even have this 1/8000 ?
Nikon D60, D90 , D3000 and D5000 have 1/4000 as max.
Canon 500D and 1000D have 1/4000 max and Canon 40D and 50D have 1/8000 max shutter speed. similarly 1/8000 is in costlier Nikon 300 and 700.
I have been involved in CHDK since 2006, so quite aware of it. I can rephrase my question and make a huge list but my point is not going to even come across since you have made your mind that CHDK will do fine with a P&S instead of a DSLR. So i give up.

And my point was how many P&S comes with 1/8000 shutter speed from manufacturer and not by added software. About budget/lower end DSLR`s well you didn`t suggested lower end budget P&S, you suggested higher end P&S, so lets please compare an apple to an apple and higher end P&S to higher end DSLR, it will make more sense to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I just used it yesterday though not on a DSLR but on a P&S camera (canon a610). There are so many new additions, that I have to allocate a day to explore each of them. For now aperture is upto f16 (earlier it was only upto f8), Shutter speed increased to 1/80,000 from 1/2,500, un-believable!!!
I know people use it, but the fact is, in the end P&S + CHDK is not going to fill the gap of a DSLR

But whatever i say, it really won`t make a difference so i am just going to leave CHDK`s topic alone. Remember if CHDK was such a good solution then Canon`s G series and Panasonic Lx3 would be a big failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
So this raises few genuine doubts in my mind.

Is shutter speed limited only by the software and not the hardware?
Shutter is a mechanical component and its designed to operate at a certain speed.
So when the firmware increase the shutter speed to much much more than its designed to operate at how does the mechanical components hold up?
Keeping in mind the original shutter speed of 1/2500; the firmware promises a shutter speed of 1/8000 but is the shutter motor capable of operating the shutter at that speed?
In a P&S Shutter is not mechanical and is limited by Software implementation. You can reach very high shutter speeds as long as sensor and cpu keeps up. One tiny overheating with the sensor and it will have permanent Hot pixels.

In a DSLR its more like a mix of Hardware and Software, since shutter is mechanical.

Thanks

Last edited by it_inspector : 26th November 2009 at 17:24.
Old 26th November 2009, 17:15   #2309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Shutter speed increased to 1/80,000 from 1/2,500, un-believable!!!

Shutter is a mechanical component and its designed to operate at a certain speed.
So when the firmware increase the shutter speed to much much more than its designed to operate at how does the mechanical components hold up?
Keeping in mind the original shutter speed of 1/2500; the firmware promises a shutter speed of 1/8000 but is the shutter motor capable of operating the shutter at that speed?
Old 26th November 2009, 17:23   #2310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Many P&S cameras have an electronic shutter. I.e no physical curtain like DSLRS, simply electronic gates firing. So 1/80000 is actually quite tame for a modern IC

Most Viewed