Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:56   #2206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hey Sankar, if you don't mind getting a 2nd hand camera then I would suggest you go for a used 30D (or 40D) as you'll get one within the price range of a new 500D. Much better ergonomics(similar level of the Nikons) and also a better camera.
I'm okay with that if i could get a good used 40D or 30D. 30D doesn't have dust shake off capability. Is it gonna be a headache if this feature is not available? I don't plan to change lenses in dusty environments.

But would that be safe if i buy a used cam? What do you say of buying a 'refurbished by dealer' camera if its from big stores like B&H or Adorama?
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:56   #2207
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@ IT inspector, what do you call the hardware () which is connected to the camera on your display picture ?? looks cool n i guess its helpful where one cannot use a tripod. have never seen anyone using though. how much will that cost ?
Old 23rd November 2009, 23:18   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Sankar,

I lusted over the Nikons before economics beat ergonomics and I got myself the 500D+twin lens in 42k from Japan. Other than that, the rest is frankly "mine is better than yours" syndrome!
Old 24th November 2009, 01:56   #2209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm okay with that if i could get a good used 40D or 30D. 30D doesn't have dust shake off capability. Is it gonna be a headache if this feature is not available? I don't plan to change lenses in dusty environments.

But would that be safe if i buy a used cam? What do you say of buying a 'refurbished by dealer' camera if its from big stores like B&H or Adorama?
I've used a camera without auto sensor cleaning facility for 3 long years. Didn't find much issue with dust. Dust was there but with a nice blow of air from a blower with the camera in sensor cleaning mode took care of the dust most of the time.
Do B&H still sells refurbished cameras? If so I think that'll be quite safe to get from them. I remember another TBHPian told me about another place called KEH who sells such stuff and reliable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sankar,

I lusted over the Nikons before economics beat ergonomics and I got myself the 500D+twin lens in 42k from Japan. Other than that, the rest is frankly "mine is better than yours" syndrome!
Having used both 350D and 40D and some amount 5D I can safely say that the ergonomics thing is not a hyped thing. It does feel good to hold a meaty grip and more comfortable for a longer shooting. Specially with a heavy lens like 70-200mm it feels much more comfortable with the 40D then it's with the 350D(with grip). I still use both the camera so I can say it safely from experience.
Regards,
Old 24th November 2009, 05:43   #2210
BHPian

Quote:

As said above. It isn't a big thing. Even the best dust shake off facility isn't that good. They remove dry particles of dust but more stubborn ones stay stuck. Blower is second best method and is the easiest method to remove dust. Best method is Cooperhill Wet/Dry kit. I am not sure if its available in INDIA but should be relatively easy to order over the Internet.

B&H and KEH are decent stores. I personally havn`t bought anything from them but few friends have bought rare lenses/cameras when they were available as second hand items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
@ IT inspector, what do you call the hardware () which is connected to the camera on your display picture ?? looks cool n i guess its helpful where one cannot use a tripod. have never seen anyone using though. how much will that cost ?
Its called Fotosnaiper (or Photosniper). Basically a gun stock + butt with camera and lens mounted on the top. This gave the ergonomics, steadiness, accuracy and ease of movement like a gun with heavy lenses, It was made by Zenit. It was a radical product but sold and marketed for the wrong reasons.

Photosniper was not a hit but now its a rare item and is valued a lot by bird shooters. Since it works best in extreme conditions. Panning is very easy with photosniper.

You can find long reviews of photosniper on google and pictures are available on flickr. Few people have tried to mimic it and get a DIY solution but have not been that successful.

Its not available anymore, but i believe Bushhawk Shoulder Mount is closest you can get. Just remember not to goto an airport with one specially if you keep silicon gels pieces to absorb moisture in your kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sankar,

I respectfully disagree. Like said above, there is a real difference in ergonomics and it cannot be experienced until you handhold few bodies. Best example i have is shooting portraits whole day long, it puts so much pressure on the wrist.

Cheers
Old 24th November 2009, 07:57   #2211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
As said above. It isn't a big thing. Even the best dust shake off facility isn't that good.
My experience says otherwise. I have used Olympus E-500 since March-2006 and E-3 since March-2008, I still use both of them regularly in dusty/rainy/humid conditions in offroad drives, often changing lenses. Yet to encounter sensor dust. I wouldn't know about Canon or Nikon since I haven't used them.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:25   #2212
BHPian

@Samurai
I have taken my camera everywhere from dusty windy conditions to moist(really moist due to foggy conditions where a lot of condensation happens on the camera and lens), watery and sometimes its been used while i was chest deep in water as well. So many a time, it was necessary to change lenses at places i would not really wanna do that. So over the course of use, I have had a few problems with dust. The sensor cleaning really didnt do much...it may shake the dust off, but its still inside the camera. Even the blower didnt do me much good as the stubborn dust particles refuse to come off! Finally i had to get a wet cleaning solution and cleaned it myself at home, after which it was fine.
Regards,
TG.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:37   #2213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. Like said above, there is a real difference in ergonomics and it cannot be experienced until you handhold few bodies.
Holding a camera and feeling it is important. But how much of that is deciding camera purchase is a question.
Quote:
Best example i have is shooting portraits whole day long, it puts so much pressure on the wrist.
Slightly exaggerated view. Few decades ago we didn't have cars with power steering. Nobody complained though.

I've done the same as you're saying here.. shooting at studio whole day with totally mechanical manual 35mm SLR handheld. Didn't have any problem.

More we get, more we complain. Human behaviour of course.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:38   #2214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would really like to know how much one benefits from having IS in less than 70mm range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have been in situations, when even on ISO 1600, the shutter speed was around 1/10(late evening)..
I think Tanveer answered your question. Besides I am an old senile man with shaky hands. It is nice to know IS will compensate for my shaky hands; now only if I could find a cure for my senility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Speaking of tripods. Can someone suggest one for my Canon 1000 D. Does the tripod have to be from the same manufacturer or can i use any tripod?
Canon does not make tripods. Companies like Velbon, Gitzo, Silk, Manfrottto do. I have a couple of Velbons but serisouly these are pretty basic. If I need a real tripod I borrow a Gitzo from my niece.

Trouble is if I go somewhere carrying the big white lenses and tripods she has I look like a greyed, faded, jaded version of John Rambo.

Quote:
I use Slik and Manfrotto. Brembo makes copies of Manfrotto and Slik and are fairly cheap.
Quote:
Is it gonna be a headache if this feature is not available? But would that be safe if i buy a used cam? What do you say of buying a 'refurbished by dealer' camera if its from big stores like B&H or Adorama?
Sensor cleaning is nice to have not really not often nesscary and as others have said it wonyl works for loose dry dust not the persistent kind. If I get the persistent dust (so far only once) I give my camera to a professional.

In the film days I got a N65 and some refurbished Nikkor prime lenses from KEH. I had no trouble with any of the stuff they sent. My N80 and zooms were bought from Adorama and they were very helpful and helped me choose the right combo of lenses to get me started. I can recommend both. I have visited the big B&H store (it gets bigger every few years) on 9th Av and 42nd street (a block west of Penn. St.) for various things like light meters, camera cases, etc.. and found them pretty rushed and they tend to serve the big ticket spenders better than us ordinary folk but they stuiff they have is good and genuine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Having used both 350D and 40D and some amount 5D I can safely say that the ergonomics thing is not a hyped thing. It does feel good to hold a meaty grip and more comfortable for a longer shooting.
you can always buy a grip. I use a BG-2EN with my 40D and found it helps with the balance and offers better grip as well.

Quote:
Best method is Cooperhill Wet/Dry kit.
and a set fo steady hands!
Old 24th November 2009, 10:50   #2215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
More we get, more we complain. Human behaviour of course.
Finally someone who sympathises with my line of thinking.
Old 24th November 2009, 11:20   #2216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@Samurai
I have taken my camera everywhere from dusty windy conditions to moist(really moist due to foggy conditions where a lot of condensation happens on the camera and lens), watery and sometimes its been used while i was chest deep in water as well. So many a time, it was necessary to change lenses at places i would not really wanna do that. So over the course of use, I have had a few problems with dust. The sensor cleaning really didnt do much...it may shake the dust off, but its still inside the camera. Even the blower didnt do me much good as the stubborn dust particles refuse to come off! Finally i had to get a wet cleaning solution and cleaned it myself at home, after which it was fine.
Regards,
TG.
Thanks TG, that takes care of Nikon. Now let's hear from somebody who has used Canon dSLR with anti-dust feature in really dusty condition.
Old 24th November 2009, 11:47   #2217
Senior - BHPian

Why & for what reason? I use this lens most of the times as my stock lens..Never had any issues. True, at its long end it has problems of vignetting, but that can be cropped in PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
PS1: I was told to avoid nikon 18-135!!!
Old 24th November 2009, 11:53   #2218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks TG, that takes care of Nikon. Now let's hear from somebody who has used Canon dSLR with anti-dust feature in really dusty condition.
I am sure Rudra-da has. I have tken my canon to dusty sports fields, the beach, and even parasailing and even changed lenses while on the beach and on the sports field. I had one issue with sticky dust at which point I sent the camera to a professional canon service center.
Old 24th November 2009, 11:56   #2219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I am sure Rudra-da has.
I doubt it, he doesn't use a Canon camera with anti-dust sensor feature.
Old 24th November 2009, 11:59   #2220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I am sure Rudra-da has.
Has what? In camera sensor cleaning? No my camera doesn't have that. And currently it's loaded with garbage. Dropping it next week to Canon Service Centre. It's a day job for them.

Most Viewed