Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 12:16   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Ok, now that make me feel, not to expect too much from entry level DSLR and take the best out of it.
I might sound really dumb, but can't I manage some landscape snaps with 18-55

Also my question about reliability of Grey market cams is still in grey.

Can the shutter actuation count be a reliable way to check if its new or used. In case of refurbished by manufacturer, do they reset shutter actuation count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Only you can judge if 105mm is long enough for you. It was certainly NOT long enough for me - I needed 400mm+ which is where the 1.6 crop of the APS-C sensor helped me.

For landscape you will need a 10-11mm lens which would work out to 16-17mm on a APS-C sensor. The Canon 10-22 is rather expensive (it will cost almost as much as your whole kit).

If Landscape/Scenery/Hills/Mountains are a priority FF DSLRs offer better options - a used Canon 5D with a 17-40/4L would be a entry level combo. Yikes! I know that looks expensive even if bought on KEH.com.

If UWA (ultra wide angle wider than 18mm in FF parlance) is a priority then the Tokina 12-24/4 is probably your cheapest option. I have not tried theis lens but when it came out it made a lot of noise on the nikon/canon forums - some even compared it favourably to the nikon 12-24 at the time. Still this lens will cost you more than your 18-55 and 55-250 combined!
Old 17th November 2009, 12:26   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Ok, now that make me feel, not to expect too much from entry level DSLR and take the best out of it.
RK,
Not too expect too much is a good way to look at it. I was really disappointed when I moved to a DSLR, the images were not even close to the P&S I had. Over time and with lots of understanding and practice, you will start making better photographs. It's just how much thought you put into composition, lighting etc. And, no matter how much you analyse and go nuts thinking what to buy and what not to buy, you will always end up wanting more.

And, I don't do landscapes that often, so I might not be able to answer your question. But yes, the 18-55 does serve my purpose of getting decent (very subjective, subject being me ) landscape photographs.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:31   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also my question about reliability of Grey market cams is still in grey.

Can the shutter actuation count be a reliable way to check if its new or used. In case of refurbished by manufacturer, do they reset shutter actuation count?
Yes shutter actuations can help but how are you going to check it in the camera itself. Going by filename nos is not accurate as I speak from personal experience when my D50 reset the file name numbering after about a year but it has not reset since. Expensive equipment with electronics should be avoided through the grey market route simply because you get peace of mind than anything else when purchased with full warranty and support. Cheaper stuff is fine. I would recommend getting the body with warranty and cheap lens without it if it saves some money. Refurb equipment is fine if buying through reputed stores. Cameta Auctions are pretty good for refurb stuff on ebay. Any Yes!! You can get excellent landscape shots with your 18-55 kit lens.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:40   #2119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
18x1.6 = 28mm not exactly wide angle. For landscapes you need wider. One option is to use photo stitch.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:47   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Yes shutter actuations can help but how are you going to check it in the camera itself
Will carry my Laptop and card adapter with me, will take the pic there and then and check on EXIF data. found this on net.

Quote:
I would recommend getting the body with warranty and cheap lens without it if it saves some money. Refurb equipment is fine if buying through reputed stores.
Actually I was thinking other way, buying body in grey and lens with warranty. Because I can buy lense from anywhere in the world with international warranty. But body outside india will not have India warranty, so that makes a buy outside India and a genuine buy in grey, equal, am I right?
Old 17th November 2009, 13:10   #2121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But body outside india will not have India warranty, so that makes a buy outside India and a genuine buy in grey, equal, am I right?
Atleast in Mumbai Canon offers very good service. When I sent my 40D for service they never asked if the body was bought inside or outside India. Since no parts were used they only charged a small nominal ammount for labour.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:21   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Atleast in Mumbai Canon offers very good service. When I sent my 40D for service they never asked if the body was bought inside or outside India. Since no parts were used they only charged a small nominal ammount for labour.
Exactly, that's what my assumptions is, they will not ask for country of origin, but without India warranty, they will charge for work or part accordingly.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:23   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will carry my Laptop and card adapter with me, will take the pic there and then and check on EXIF data. found this on net.

Actually I was thinking other way, buying body in grey and lens with warranty. Because I can buy lense from anywhere in the world with international warranty. But body outside india will not have India warranty, so that makes a buy outside India and a genuine buy in grey, equal, am I right?

I am not sure if normal exif data will have shutter actuation count. Atleast there is no such info in exif data of my shots. You may need some other software here.

You are right, you need to produce a local bill of your camera to avail warranty service. I am not sure what is the fine print of international warranty on lenses. Nikon will not accept lenses/bodies bought in the USA for warranty service however, Sigma I know carries international warranty if purchased from the States.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:35   #2124
Senior - BHPian

Here Shutter count from one sample D5000 pic from DPreview
The DSLR Thread-exif.jpg
Quote:
I am not sure if normal exif data will have shutter actuation count. Atleast there is no such info in exif data of my shots. You may need some other software here..
Old 17th November 2009, 13:41   #2125
Senior - BHPian

There thats what i said. You need a EXIF viewer software to get this info. Do you have one? Because I cant see the shutter actuation info in the EXIF info that I can see in most of my image editing/viweing software that are generally available.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:45   #2126
Senior - BHPian

I am using Opanda IEXIF Exif viewer : Opanda IExif - Professional EXIF / GPS / IPTC Viewer & Editor in Windows, IE & Firefox, as its freeware.

But then, is the count full proof, and can not be reset? Though many of the forums says, it can not be reset.

Quote:
There thats what i said. You need a EXIF viewer software to get this info. Do you have one? Because I cant see the shutter actuation info in the EXIF info that I can see in most of my image editing/viweing software that are generally available.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:58   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am using Opanda IEXIF Exif viewer : Opanda IExif - Professional EXIF / GPS / IPTC Viewer & Editor in Windows, IE & Firefox, as its freeware.

But then, is the count full proof, and can not be reset? Though many of the forums says, it can not be reset.
I am not sure if you can do that but even if you go with a camera with a low shuter actuation count you should be ok. Generally 50K is the limit of most prosumer cameras while professional ones have around 150k. This does not mean that the shutter cannot fail before or after these limits are reached.

Excellent then you are good to go. Also If you are going to take your laptop and card reader, I will suggest that you take photos with different cameras of same subjects and do an A/B comparison and then choose your camera. Take a day or two to study these closely if you want and then decide.
Old 17th November 2009, 14:41   #2128
Senior - BHPian

Spent full 3 hours at canon lounge, testing all body and lenses, and spent an hour at Nikon outlet testing D5000.

But I have to understand the way to identify the lens is genuinely new.

Though all this might sound too much, but I think its worth for saving almost 15-17K. And it definetly adds to knowledge

Quote:
Excellent then you are good to go. Also If you are going to take your laptop and card reader, I will suggest that you take photos with different cameras of same subjects and do an A/B comparison and then choose your camera. Take a day or two to study these closely if you want and then decide.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:07   #2129
BHPian

CHDK query

hi,

has anyone used CHDK for the RAW pics on P&S.
i know this question should have been in P&S camera section: but as it is related to RAW pics i thought 'll post it here.

can we have more information on this. i did search online and in this forum but could not get enough info.
i know that it is a firmware upgrade but has anyone tried it?
does it alter the standard UI of the camera?
how 'crash-prone' the camera after the upgrade?
does one has to be a coding geek to do the upgrade?
finally is it worth the pain?
experts please enlighten.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:26   #2130
Senior - BHPian

bhai mere rkb - it doesnt matter!!

get over it and get a dSLR. ASAP!

Ideally if you can invest - i'd say - buy body + 17-40 f4 L first if you go canon. or a tamron 17-50 f2.8 first.

the kit lenses are average - nothing more, nothing less

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks