Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2012, 19:18   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
This was one problem when I was flying in the Free Flight mode. I started a Mumbai to Goa flight () and I was expecting the ATC to give me runway and take off clearance and then guide me to the correct altitude. But I dint hear anything from the ATC and I had to totally rely on the GPS to get to Goa. Which took away half of the fun...
Next time in the "Flight Planner", select after selecting origin & destination airports, select "IFR"(Instrument Flight Rules) and click "Find Route". Save the Plan & Click OK. Also set the time you want to fly and weather you want. Then CLick "Fly Now".
PC & Console games - Discussion Thread-6flightplannerui.jpg

Once you are on the runway, ATC window should be visible. something like this( an example):
PC & Console games - Discussion Thread-missing-atc.jpg

Click on appropriate command to communicate with the ATC

Quote:
Also, whenever I fly in the missions, I see a small round heading indicator on the top left of the screen which shows the arrow to where I am supposed to head and the distance left to that checkpoint. Even that is missing in the free flight mode.
Those heading indicators show up only in Missions. In Free Flight, you don't get it.

Quote:
If I am in Autopilot, the joystick wont work. So you mean I have to set the heading in the Autopilot?
Yes, you need to. The default 737 2D pit. .:
PC & Console games - Discussion Thread-xcozea.jpg

I generally fly in the 3D pit view.

Quote:
I will learn about the ILS from Youtube. But dont you think ILS will be boring when compared to landing yourself?
Yes, ILS Autopilot landing makes it too easy. But on a dark rainy night, ILS landing on autopilot will be your best friend. Just watching the instruments & autopilot making corrections in the flight path will slowly help you learn how to use ILS and execute the landing on your own using ILS.

Quote:
Thank you very much for being patient with me and answering all my noob questions friends...
All of us were noobs at some point of time. When I started out, I just could not keep the aircraft level and aligned on the runway. Either I was too fast or too slow or too high or too low on approach. THe GPWS would keep on warning "Terrain...Too Low..Pull Up."
I slowly learnt the intricacies of the sim thanks to fellow flight simmers. It takes time but is a rewarding experience once you learn all the systems.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 26th May 2012 at 19:22.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:15   #377
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanations with screenshots mate. Very much appreciated.

Yesterday, I spent almost the whole day flying and trying to learn the game. In some cases, I was able to land successfully, in others, I just overshooted the runway and not by a small margin!

The steps I follow in free flight mode :

1) Use the flight planner as you mentioned - click on IFR (I see that in 'Routing', you have selected High Altitude airways, I always select Direct GPS. Anyways, the ATC commands do work, so I am happy.)

2) Once the game starts, talk to the ATC and get take off clearance.

3) Once in the air, raise the landing gear.

4) Turn auto pilot on (with heading set to off, altitude and speed control set to on) and then set the altitude as mentioned by ATC and speed to 330 knots.

5) Then when the ATC provides me the headings, turn the heading switch on and enter the headings and so on...

6) Then I go to MAPS and search for the ILS frequency of the airport and enter it in the Radio.

7) To judge to distance left to destination, I switch on the GPS. When the GPS nears around 25, landing preparations begin.

8) Speed control reduced to 200 knots and follow ATC commands to reduce altitude.

9) Finally when the ATC says to report runway in sight, I reduce speed to around 140 knots, engage the flaps by 1 notch and engage ILS. (I will come to this a bit later)

10) Now the ILS aligns me up with the runway and then I switch off 'Altitude HOLD' and start descending using joystick, engage flaps to full & lower the landing gear. I see the red an white lights on the runway to adjust altitude.

11) As I am just about to touch down, I switch off Autopilot (which was ON to control speed at 140), reduce throttle to IDLE. Then I raise the pitch a bit and brake after touch down.

Now I have just a couple of small queries -

1) ILS - I saw the videos on youtube but I have some doubts :

a) I am assuming ILS makes the plane land on its own, even touching down on the runway. We dont have to do anything except braking. But it does not happen in my case. The plane just does NOT descend slowly, infact it nose dives after I switch off Altitude hold, even though Approach hold and ILS is ON.

b) After entering the ILS frequency on the radio and selecting NAV1, I click on the 'Approach Hold' button and 'ILS' button. I do not deactivate Auto pilot after this to maintain flight level (say 3000) and speed (say 140). If I deactivate AP, then the plane nose dives (even though the altitude hold switch is kept to ON). But, if I dont deactivate altitude hold, then how will the plane land?

Normally, I keep AP on, I just switch off the heading. Later when I am close to the runway, I switch off the altitude hold switch keeping the speed control knob on at 140 and land manually as mentioned above.

b) What about heading hold switch? Do I have to switch it OFF or ON?

c) How to maintain speed while using ILS? Can we use Autopilot speed hold?

2) What is this Flight director?

3) How to engage reverse thrust while braking? Does it engage on it's own?

4) Sometimes I have heard the co-pilot asking me to engage cruise thrust. What is that?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 28th May 2012 at 11:18.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:15   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I have just a couple of small queries -

1) ILS - I saw the videos on Youtube but I have some doubts :

a) I am assuming ILS makes the plane land on its own, even touching down on the runway. We dont have to do anything except braking. But it does not happen in my case. The plane just does NOT descend slowly, infact it nose dives after I switch off Altitude hold, even though Approach hold and ILS is ON.
When the ILS is hit, the Altitude hold switch is deactivated by the auto pilot. You dont need to disable anything. Make sure your APP switch is on.

Quote:
b) After entering the ILS frequency on the radio and selecting NAV1, I click on the 'Approach Hold' button and 'ILS' button. I do not deactivate Auto pilot after this to maintain flight level (say 3000) and speed (say 140). If I deactivate AP, then the plane nose dives (even though the altitude hold switch is kept to ON). But, if I dont deactivate altitude hold, then how will the plane land?

Normally, I keep AP on, I just switch off the heading. Later when I am close to the runway, I switch off the altitude hold switch keeping the speed control knob on at 140 and land manually as mentioned above.
The nose diving might be because of the position of your stick.

Quote:
Heading hold switch is also deactivated automatically by the auto pilot when the ILS is hit.

Quote:
c) How to maintain speed while using ILS? Can we use Autopilot speed hold?
Yes.

Quote:
2) What is this Flight director?
Dont know, need to learn more on this.

Quote:
3) How to engage reverse thrust while braking? Does it engage on it's own?
Nope, it doesnt engage on its own. When the throttle is reduced to idle after landing when the plane is in motion, keep on pressing F2 (throttle reduction assignment) so that reverse thrust is engaged. It decelerates the plane at a higher rate, and as soon as the speed is down to taxing speed, return it to idle. You can/should engage spoilers too.

Quote:
4) Sometimes I have heard the co-pilot asking me to engage cruise thrust. What is that?
No idea, is it during cruising?

If you want more challenging landings, learn the VFR using VOR technique and try the Princess Juliana airport. Princess Juliana (St. Marteen) airport is very tricky and there is no ILS support for it. Its the best airport that I just LOVE to land in. Perfect landing gives a great satisfaction on that strip.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 28th May 2012 at 12:24.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:34   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
When the ILS is hit, the Altitude hold switch is deactivated by the auto pilot. You dont need to disable anything. Make sure your APP switch is on.

The nose diving might be because of the position of your stick.

Heading hold switch is also deactivated automatically by the auto pilot when the ILS is hit.
So that means when I press ILS and Approach Hold switch, the Altitude and Heading is deactivated.

So in short, just press ILS and AP hold and relax till the flight lands. I will try this.

Quote:
Nope, it doesnt engage on its own. When the throttle is reduced to idle after landing when the plane is in motion, keep on pressing F2 (throttle reduction assignment) so that reverse thrust is engaged. It decelerates the plane at a higher rate, and as soon as the speed is down to taxing speed, return it to idle. You can/should engage spoilers too.
Thanks. I never knew about Reverse thrust and spoilers. Guess will have to read more about them.

Quote:
No idea, is it during cruising?
Yes, just a few moments after take off, the co pilot asked me to engage cruise thrust.
Quote:
If you want more challenging landings, learn the VFR using VOR technique and try the Princess Juliana airport. Princess Juliana (St. Marteen) airport is very tricky and there is no ILS support for it. Its the best airport that I just LOVE to land in. Perfect landing gives a great satisfaction on that strip.
I am still learning. I need to get used to landing properly on normal airports first!

Thanks a lot bro.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 28th May 2012 at 12:36.
Old 28th May 2012, 13:53   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So that means when I press ILS and Approach Hold switch, the Altitude and Heading is deactivated.
What do you mean "Pressing ILS"? Also, with the APP hold switch activated, the altitude and heading will also be active. Its only when you hit the ILS (can be seen in the GPS, nearing the green arrow to the runway), that the autopilot deactivates the altitude switch (which indicates that the ILS is hit). Then the plane starts its descent towards the runway. The heading switch is deactivated before itself as soon it is nearing the ILS field.

Also learn more about the markers. Read it here:
Instrument landing system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

INSTRUMENT LANDING SYSTEM (ILS) | AviatorCentral.net

Name:  ILS.gif
Views: 1110
Size:  20.6 KB
Quote:
So in short, just press ILS and AP hold and relax till the flight lands. I will try this.
It is never recommended to do the plane land on its own, as it will come down hard on the runway. Hence, pilots deactivate the autopilot just before touch down, so that they can softly "touch" the ground.

Quote:
Yes, just a few moments after take off, the co pilot asked me to engage cruise thrust.
Still, no clue :(

Quote:
I am still learning. I need to get used to landing properly on normal airports first!
Its fine, but in the learning phase itself, try the VFR on cessna, you will enjoy it more than ILS.

Quote:
Thanks a lot bro.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 28th May 2012 at 13:59.
Old 28th May 2012, 15:52   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean "Pressing ILS"?
In certain aircrafts, I see a separate ILS switch on the main panel. After turning ON App hold switch, I switch ON the ILS button too, which turns green.

Quote:
Also, with the APP hold switch activated, the altitude and heading will also be active.
You mean the altitude and heading according to the ILS will be active (and not what I had manually set before).

After reading your post, I feel I am doing something wrong.

1) How to activate ILS?

Enter the ILS frequency on the radio on Nav1, hit the NAV1 button on the Radio and hit the Approach Hold button. Is that it? In some aircrafts, I see another ILS switch also, which I switch ON after the App hold button.

2) When to hit ILS?

I feel ILS wont activate when you are too far from the airport. I hit ILS when the ATC gives me the final heading and commands me to request airport in sight. That is when I activate ILS.

3) How to see runway orientation/direction?

Suppose I want to land manually (for some airports without ILS), after I reach very near the runway, I realize I am approaching it at a wrong angle and not straight in. And by that time, it is too late to swerve and re-align the aircraft. Before nearing the runway (or before the runway is in sight), how do we determine or align our aircraft properly with the runway?
Old 28th May 2012, 16:15   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) How to activate ILS?

Enter the ILS frequency on the radio on Nav1, hit the NAV1 button on the Radio and hit the Approach Hold button. Is that it? In some aircrafts, I see another ILS switch also, which I switch ON after the App hold button.
Can you paste a screenshot of this ILS switch? Its being quite a while since I have played.

Quote:
2) When to hit ILS?

I feel ILS wont activate when you are too far from the airport. I hit ILS when the ATC gives me the final heading and commands me to request airport in sight. That is when I activate ILS.
This is not true. I believe ILS can be tuned as far as 20 nm (nautical miles) from the airport, not sure about the exact range though. As soon as I am in the airspace, I turn on my NAV1, and the beeping starts. Just verify the beep pattern with the one given in the log book/map book. If it matches, then you are tuned in with the airport. Switch on the APP as soon as you get the clearance from the airport to land, and align your aircraft in such a way that it flies straight to the green arrow (as shown in GPS) of ILS (ATC will give direction for the same most of the times except for traffic patterns).

Quote:
3) How to see runway orientation/direction?

Suppose I want to land manually (for some airports without ILS), after I reach very near the runway, I realize I am approaching it at a wrong angle and not straight in. And by that time, it is too late to swerve and re-align the aircraft. Before nearing the runway (or before the runway is in sight), how do we determine or align our aircraft properly with the runway?
Always start small. Take a cessna and fly around the airport. For landing, align yourself at 1500 - 2000 feet in height and around 3 to 5 nm (personal preference) away from the runway. Be steady at 90 knots. Zoom in using the '+' key and judge the inclination and alignment of the runway. Make adjustments till you feel that that runway is almost looking like a '1'. Once you are confident, zoom out and when the runway is visible to you, start your descent in such a way that the PAPI lights are even for you i.e. 2 red and 2 white. All this time, make small adjustments so that your plane does not miss its alignment. Always go with spot landing. Decide on a spot (start of the runway) and make sure that your spot does not move in your view. It should remain in that position where you first saw it, and aim your nose for it.

If you feel that you are going to land wrong, report missed approach, fly around and try again Or save and reload the game You would need a lot of practise to get it right. Be patient.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 28th May 2012 at 16:32.
Old 28th May 2012, 18:30   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This was the video which I viewed to learn auto ILS landing(it took me a 2-3 attempts to get it right)

Once you have engaged the Approach switch( with autopilot on), the Autopilot takes control of you landing. It basically maneuvers the aircraft, sets the trim etc. Only thing you have to watch out for is your airspeed( even that you can set using Autopilot while landing). When App is switched on, the autopilot overrides the altitude ( if set) and may be the heading also( not sure).

Quote:
Thanks. I never knew about Reverse thrust and spoilers. Guess will have to read more about them.
Reverse thrust is a must while landing the heavies.
Thrust reversal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spoilers are speedbrakes. Spoilers deployed on my 9W 738
PC & Console games - Discussion Thread-40741_1636702871783_1063065637_1734030_5736423_n.jpg

PC & Console games - Discussion Thread-boeing_737_secondary_flight_controls.jpg
Old 29th May 2012, 11:53   #384
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone playing Uncharted series in here? Its one of the best (or probably, THE BEST) game I ever played. Awesome stunning visuals, accompanied by brilliant hollywood style scenes. I would highly and strongly recommend playing the series. Just about to be done with Uncharted 3. Its just not a game, its an experience!
Old 29th May 2012, 12:34   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004

Cruise thrust might be what the thrust at cruise altitude or yhe thrust required to get into cruise altitude.
Are the instructions given in the following order?
Take off thrust, ascend and maintain, then after that climb to cruise altitude with the cruise thrust?

Which mission in this? . it mostly will be 60% or 80% thrust. But at cruise altitude we mainly use the cruise speed as fixed and vary the thrust accordingly to maintain cruise altitude.
Skanchan will be able to explain this better i guess. Ive mostly flown online so cant seem to remember the mission.

Regarding runway visibility, you should be able to see the PAPI or precision approach path indicator or the red and yellow lights near the Runway. For landing you must align your plane to the glideslope using PAPI.

First in your NAV system you should be able to see how the runway is oriented. Align your plane according to the runway orientation using the cockpit displays so thaT you are well prepared even before you can actually see the runway.

When runway is visible you sgould also be able to see the PAPI. Ideally if you are aligned to the glideslope you'll only see two red and two yellow lights. If you are above or below the glideslope the number of red and yellow lights change accordingly.

Also keep your thrust close to idle and see that the plane will descend automatically if you have maintained correct speed for the landing according to the plane you are flying so that you dont stall or overshoot the runway.

You should apply gentle thrust changes while landing so that in case speed increases you can easily control it with the spoilers.

In rain fog etc always you should use ILS when the visibility is very less. And while landing manually switch off speed hold switch. And maintain landing speed manually. Once touched down set throttle to idle F1 key and engage reverse thrust. And also NOTE arm your spoilers before landing so that they deploy immediately on touchdown.
Regards.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 29th May 2012 at 12:46.
Old 29th May 2012, 12:45   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is anyone playing Uncharted series in here? Its one of the best (or probably, THE BEST) game I ever played. Awesome stunning visuals, accompanied by brilliant hollywood style scenes. I would highly and strongly recommend playing the series. Just about to be done with Uncharted 3. Its just not a game, its an experience!

I have played Uncharted 2. My brother has Uncharted 3. I also loved the game. Right now I am playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 online these days. Its addictive!!
Old 30th May 2012, 11:01   #387
Senior - BHPian

Thank you friends. I have finally mastered the art of using ILS.

But ILS, though convenient, takes away the fun of landing manually. What I normally do is -

1) Activate ILS so that the aircraft aligns well with the runway.
2) Once I see the runway and I am pretty close to it, I deactivate ILS and speed hold and reduce throttle manually to idle.
3) Then I try to touch down manually adjusting the throttle as necessary.
3) After touch down, I engage spoilers and brake and if necessary, engage reverse thrust using F2.

The above seems to work in most cases.

For airports without ILS, at about 25-30 NM away from the runway (as shown in GPS), I go to World -> Maps and see the runway orientation and try to align my aircraft accordingly. As I near the runway, it becomes visible in the GPS of the aircraft. This way, I dont land exactly in the centre line of the runway, but I guess with practice it would be possible.

Thanks a lot friends.

I have not yet started Multiplayer though.
Old 30th May 2012, 20:21   #388
BHPian

Guys, Any suggestions on good PS3 games? I just finished Resistance 3 and next on the list is CoD - MW3.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:37   #389
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a small issue -

While playing FS X, both the taskbar appears in the Window as shown in the pic below. It is a hindrance. Earlier it was not there. How can I remove it?
Attached Thumbnails
PC & Console games - Discussion Thread-123.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th June 2012 at 10:38.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:52   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
Guys, a small issue -

While playing FS X, both the taskbar appears in the Window as shown in the pic below. It is a hindrance. Earlier it was not there. How can I remove it?
To make it disappear press Alt+enter. If that doesnt do the trick then click options, click on window options and then it should disappear. Cant seem to remember it clearly though but that Alt + Enter should work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks