Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2024, 11:23   #6676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
I've read marrow bones should be avoided and also cooked bones as they can splinter. Best to ask a vet perhaps. Happy munching to your puppers. Wishing you and them a long and happy life of togetherness.
Raw bones are soft and cooked ones hard. So it is fine to give dogs raw bones. Our lab was brought up on raw bones - beef, mutton and chicken. He lapped all.

One advantage of raw meat is that the chewing keeps teeth sparkling white. Also chewing raw bones generates a lot of saliva that helps in digestion.

My lab was brought on home cooked mel. We bought a 12L Pressure cooker for his meals
. 1 kg parboiled rice. This has the most vitamins.
. 1-2 kg vegetable trimmings - cauliflower stems, radish leaves, pumpkin and other trimmings depending on season.
. 30-50g garlic
. One teaspoon turmeric
. 1 kg Boneless chicken, liver and gizzard. The bones were kept for chewing

All this was pressure cooked for 45 min or so. After cooling we packed it in medium sized take away boxes (around 500ml each). One box per meal, two meals a day.
Old 21st August 2024, 11:39   #6677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
30-50g garlic
Please No, Never for garlic and onions for dogs. It's toxic for them.

Garlic and other members of the allium family (including onions) contain thiosulfate, which is toxic to dogs but not to humans.

Quote:
Scientific studies have found it takes approximately 15 to 30 grams of garlic per kilogram of body weight to produce harmful changes in a dog’s blood. To put that into perspective, the average clove of supermarket garlic weighs between 3 and 7 grams, so your dog would have to eat a lot to get really sick. However, some dogs are more sensitive to garlic toxicity than others, and consumption of a toxic dose spread out over a few days could also cause problems.
AKC

Last edited by NomadSK : 21st August 2024 at 11:42.
Old 21st August 2024, 12:00   #6678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Haha. It has always been like this. Even the vets get confused sometimes. He just appears to be hefty due to his thick fur. Without it he'd look as skinny as the chintu-mintus roaming the streets.

Attachment 2644471
Your dog looks absolutely great. You are right it looks 25-30 kg weighted for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Raw bones are soft and cooked ones hard. So it is fine to give dogs raw bones. Our lab was brought up on raw bones - beef, mutton and chicken. He lapped all.

One advantage of raw meat is that the chewing keeps teeth sparkling white. Also chewing raw bones generates a lot of saliva that helps in digestion.

My lab was brought on home cooked mel. We bought a 12L Pressure cooker for his meals
. 1 kg parboiled rice. This has the most vitamins.
. 1-2 kg vegetable trimmings - cauliflower stems, radish leaves, pumpkin and other trimmings depending on season.
. 30-50g garlic
. One teaspoon turmeric
. 1 kg Boneless chicken, liver and gizzard. The bones were kept for chewing

All this was pressure cooked for 45 min or so. After cooling we packed it in medium sized take away boxes (around 500ml each). One box per meal, two meals a day.
Your recipe is superb. It is almost the way i do for my dog, sans the pressure cooker. I just have a very big pot in which i cook the chicken, rice & vegetables. I cook all of them separately though.

I then refrigerate the chicken and vegetables. After the vegetables are cooked, i put them in a mixer to make it a thick liquid. Morning, i serve deep freezed chicken. Lunch is that vegetable thick liquid with a lot of curd, sometimes topped up with a can of Tuna from market.

As you said, raw bones are very very beneficial for them.

But as NomadSK said, garlic is indeed toxic for dogs.

I wish the thanks button was still there. Now we'll need to reply to some posts in order to convey that the post was indeed useful.
Old 22nd August 2024, 08:27   #6679
Senior - BHPian

Garlic and onions are extremely toxic for dogs and cats. Please stay away from these. A pinch of turmeric is fine but large amounts of curcumin is also toxic to dogs and cats. One teaspoon is way too much.
Old 22nd August 2024, 15:36   #6680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
A pinch of turmeric is fine but large amounts of curcumin is also toxic to dogs and cats.
Thanks for that information.

I have not thought of feeding it to them, but I find that it works wonders when applied to wounds, and I'm aware that anything applied externally gets licked and ends up internal. But I apply a tiny pinch only, just a light dusting, and it really does seem to speed the healing considerably.

(We have an intruder thug cat, and I cannot find a way to stop him coming in so there will sometimes be fights.)
Old 22nd August 2024, 19:45   #6681
Team-BHP Support

The kittens now know the entire architecture of the house and wants to get inside from even a 1st floor window:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240822_121524.jpg

They do lots of stunts now like climbing up a tree or walking on the ledge. Incidentally, my car is permanently parked here, because it helps them scale up and down the 8 foot wall.

However, I found one of the kittens limping and I assume it fell. Immediately took him to a nearby vet hospital and got the x-ray done.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20240819-18.54.38_48400ee6.jpg

Apparently, the kitten is fine and his leg will heal in a couple of days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We have an intruder thug cat, and I cannot find a way to stop him coming in so there will sometimes be fights.
You need to have a more liberal immigration policy for cats and try to assimilate him into your household.

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd August 2024 at 19:48.
Old 23rd August 2024, 01:23   #6682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
You need to have a more liberal immigration policy for cats and try to assimilate him into your household.
I have granted asylum on full benefits to many a cat, including the male and the mother of the female, that we have now. Unfortunately, There are occasional demonstrations and protests by certain elements waving banners proclaiming "Stop the Cat People!" And there's not much I can do about that, because I am married to her .

Bottom line, though, is that my cats, even though they are immigrants and first-generation born in my garden cats, are not liberal towards incomers.

This case is complicated by the immigrant male having had romantic intentions towards my young female. Being refused, like all too many males, he thought that the answer was violence

His current attitude is that he wants the entire premises, so the rest of us, human or feline, had better just get out. Integration is the last thing on his mind. Instead of Intruder Cat I should start calling him Settler Cat!

PS: nobody should make the mistake that this post is political: it's a story about cats!

(I think that Intruder Cat is not a stray but lives across the road. However we are the place with a garden,)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd August 2024 at 01:25.
Old 23rd August 2024, 18:16   #6683
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

I like to share a rather strange experience with our Hycross.

Hycross came back from its last trip around end of July2024 and was parked in a secured, covered parking lot. We have also covered it with Toyota supplied car cover. We had to do a 700km round trip during 17-18Aug2024. On 17Aug, around 8am i removed the car cover, dusted the car thoroughly, topped up air and wiper fluid, started the trip around 11am. Parked at final destination at 7pm in an open space in front of our native home. Started again at 6am on 18Aug, no inspection was done at this time. We made more than 5 roadside stops during the return journey.

When i finally parked the car at 3pm, we heard some noise. Initially thought it was some animal nearby, but quickly realized that there was some damage to the front right of the car. Upon closer inspection, to our utter shock, we found a kitten hanging in a delicate position, with most of its body inside the car with only leg sticking out. Our immediate reaction was to take the kitten out, we did not take any photos. Once the kitten was taken out, we gave it some water and calmed it.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-pic1.jpg

It's a big puzzle as to how this kitten ended up inside the car. Noticed some teeth marks in the plastic cladding, but still does not explain how it ended up there.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-pic2.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-pic3.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-pic4.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-pic5.jpg

For now, we are keeping the kitten with us, looking for cat lovers who can take care of this kitten. My wife named her Survivor, apt name for this brave kitten. Any Coimbatore BHPians interested to adopt her?

I'm sure, i checked the car before starting the trip on 17Aug, kitten was not there. I did not hit anything while driving. No clue how it ended up here.
Old 24th August 2024, 09:04   #6684
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that information.

(We have an intruder thug cat, and I cannot find a way to stop him coming in so there will sometimes be fights.)
I recently had an intruder thug cat too few months ago, somehow he made his way up to the third floor terrace where my cattery is. Probably one of the females being in heat lured him there.
But on his third foray there he ran into one of the big males who was loose at that time and then all hell broke loose. I wasn't at home, but I found a large amount of grey and white fur everywhere and a few scratches on my boy's head. From then I have never seen that cat again. Bengal males are substantially larger and stronger than the average local housecat and I just hope the romeo survived.

Here is Mr.Boss the "enforcer"
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240824_090616.jpg

Last edited by pyrodrive : 24th August 2024 at 09:10.
Old 24th August 2024, 16:09   #6685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
What a wonderful looking cat!

Mine are just local domestics, but even so, the tom cat is very large. The trouble is that, like me, he's also a terrible coward! I keep telling him, you're big enough, all you need to do is sit on that intruder! But he doesn't listen.

He does not always succeed in avoiding the fights, so he gets hurt.

Intruder update: we still see it, and there are still occasional scuffles, but he seems to be spending less time here. Hope that continues.
Old 24th August 2024, 16:12   #6686
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you 100% sure he is a domestic cat, and not a Jaguar cub?
Old 24th August 2024, 16:28   #6687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... not a Jaguar cub?
He certainly has Jaguar attitude! It's amazing how our tiny friends echo their huge cousins in looks and ways.
Old 24th August 2024, 20:35   #6688
BHPian

Quote:
What a wonderful looking cat!
Thanks

Mine are just local domestics, but even so, the tom cat is very large. The trouble is that, like me, he's also a terrible coward! I keep telling him, you're big enough, all you need to do is sit on that intruder! But he doesn't listen.

He does not always succeed in avoiding the fights, so he gets hurt.

Intruder update: we still see it, and there are still occasional scuffles, but he seems to be spending less time here. Hope that continues.
Neutered male cats are the best cats to keep. I was hesitant initially to neuter cats but now strongly advocate it. No more fights, no howling at night, no spraying and temperament wise, they are the sweetest cats.

I currently have three neutered males and they get along with everyone else- the females, males, each other and humans. It is the tomcats that are trouble. If my three intact males happen to come face to face it will be a full-scale world war in d cattery.
In your case it you neuter the male and spay the female, the intruder won't have much motivation to come back and also there probably won't be much fighting even if he comes.

Quote:
Are you 100% sure he is a domestic cat, and not a Jaguar cub?

Here is his brother, prince Sherdil ,who actually have more of a jaguar pattern
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240824_203221.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th August 2024 at 21:06. Reason: Merged posts
Old 24th August 2024, 21:31   #6689
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc_rgs View Post
For now, we are keeping the kitten with us, looking for cat lovers who can take care of this kitten. My wife named her Survivor, apt name for this brave kitten. Any Coimbatore BHPians interested to adopt her?

I'm sure, i checked the car before starting the trip on 17Aug, kitten was not there. I did not hit anything while driving. No clue how it ended up here.
The kitten probably took shelter there when the car was parked overnight at your native place. Bite marks on the cladding suggest that dogs must've chased and tried to attack the poor thing. Do inform someone in your native to keep an eye out for other kittens or their mother. I have heard that juvenile cats depend a lot on their mother to learn basic skills. Hope she finds a forever home soon.
Old 25th August 2024, 00:09   #6690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In your case it you neuter the male and spay the female, the intruder won't have much motivation to come back and also there probably won't be much fighting even if he comes.
They are. They are father and daughter, and it was done for the whole family as soon as it could be.

I've noticed, though, that young, inexperienced toms often don't seem to realise that not only is a female not in season but she never will be. And they don't like to take "No! Not today, not tomorrow, not ever!" for an answer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks