Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 03:44   #5776
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
On the topic of "Travelling with pets", I was looking for recommendations on how to keep my fellow stable at the back of the car.

To elaborate - we have a medium sized Golden Retriever and an Innova. My 4-legged gets to use the entire 3rd Row+Boot for himself (luggage goes into the 2nd row and on the roof. In the large space, he can move, turn, lie down, stretch. We maintain lower speeds when we're travelling with him (say under 100kmph).

But since he isn't belted down like us up front, he does roll quite a bit - even when lying flat on his side.

Any advice here on how to keep him secured?
I've used the Sleepypod harness for my dog.

https://sleepypod.com/car-harnesses

Excellent quality and one of the few harnesses that is crash tested and passed (all videos and results on their website). A lot of other harnesses claim to be crash tested but what they don't tell you is how badly the harnesses did in the actual crash.

Last edited by khanak : 18th August 2021 at 03:48.
Old 19th August 2021, 08:56   #5777
BHPian

My little fella is growing up really fast ! I consulted a vet and got the de-worming done on him. Got him a bed, few toys to play with but he likes to play with garlic.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210819_081457_462.jpg.
His fur was infested with fleas and he'd keep scratching a lot. So I got the wiggles eraditch spot-on anti flea for him. Lot's of YouTube tutorials out there explaining how to apply this treatment, but they only work if your cat is calm. I did the treatment when he was asleep, so that he won't lick it off.
Weirdest thing about my cat - he loves to eat chapati ! And he doesn't drink plain water at all. I've tried various tricks and methods, but all in vain. So I add some water in his wet food, mix it well. He loves drinking chicken soup though. Man, these cats are weird !

I thought he would get calm as he grows up, but boy was I so wrong ! He's alright through out the day, sleeps most of the time, but starts getting zoomies around evening and makes all of us run for our lives
Since last week he's trying very hard to jump over my backyard wall to make escapes. I've kept him inside home for last two days, and I can see he's frustrated. Don't know how I will be able to keep him inside when he's all grown up in coming months !
A quick question to cat owners here - can I give him dog chew sticks to help him with teething ? Is there any harm in doing so?
PS don't get fooled by his innocent face !
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210819_081459_589.jpg  

Last edited by Akshay6988 : 19th August 2021 at 09:20. Reason: Added a question
Old 19th August 2021, 09:24   #5778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post

Since last week he's trying very hard to jump over my backyard wall to make escapes. I've kept him inside home for last two days, and I can see he's frustrated. Don't know how I will be able to keep him inside when he's all grown up in coming months !
That's not a bad thing to be honest. Neuter him and let him be the king of the area around your place. Unless you are keeping him completely indoors, I doubt you can escape that. He'll probably prefer that, having the best of both worlds (outdoor and domesticated).

My parents have two cats that were initially indoor. One got used to going out and very well settled wrt the area and other cats and dogs around. So much that the stray cats that would be fed by my parents started fearing her. She goes out everyday morning after having her morning feed and comes back later during the day as per her own schedule. There are days when she prefers to stay out the whole night and then there are days when she just sleeps off indoors all day.

The other one is the king of the house and is more or less happy in that state, although he likes to go around the garden once in a while.

Edit: My cats like to play with garlic too. The roundish shape is perfect for them to carry and roll it around. Till I read that garlic is poisonous for cats. Then we stopped that immediately.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th August 2021 at 09:26. Reason: note above
Old 19th August 2021, 10:24   #5779
BANNED

Quote:
And he doesn't drink plain water at all.
What kind of vessel did you try?

My cat won't drink from a plastic bowl, but will drink from a stainless steel bowl.
Old 19th August 2021, 12:34   #5780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What kind of vessel did you try?

My cat won't drink from a plastic bowl, but will drink from a stainless steel bowl.
I tried stainless steel vessel, shallow plates, specially designed for pets water bowls , even running water from a small pipe. I even put water bowls in different places around the house, still he won't drink water.
He drinks chicken broth though.
Old 19th August 2021, 13:01   #5781
BHPian

One of my cats i never see drinking water and other i can see him drinking and even demands water change if he is thirsty. I found a glass bowl to be most effective.
Old 21st August 2021, 13:02   #5782
BHPian

Quote:
I tried stainless steel vessel, shallow plates, specially designed for pets water bowls , even running water from a small pipe. I even put water bowls in different places around the house, still he won't drink water.
He drinks chicken broth though.
Cats are different from dogs. Cats have tongues which form a 'J' shape to lap water and it is not so efficient. It can take barely 3 ml of water each time. Another thing is their whiskers are sensitive which means that your plate needs to be shallow and wide.
Place the plate in a wide area so that cats don't feel trapped in confines.

Still if they don't drink 'enough' water in your eyes, give them broth. That is enough. My cats never drank from a bowl. I always gave them food dipped in broth. OTOH, my dogs drink about one liter on a normal day each.
Old 21st August 2021, 13:41   #5783
BHPian

Hey everyone. I'm new to the thread so I might as well introduce my two boys. The little one is Kuma(Japanese for Bear), appropriately named due to his appearance being similar to a bear cub. He can sleep through anything and eats more than his brother, and also He Loves Tomatoes . He is a proper Sheepdog(Bakarwali) by the way, known for their hyper aggressive temperament. He is being trained extensively at the moment and learning the rules of the household.

His elder brother is Neo, named so as he is my first ever pet. Although he loves rain, swimming in the pool, and playing fetch, he is the most timid and disciplined when it comes to the house rules. He's a German Shepherd and my companion for most of my outings.(Kuma is also being introduced into the outings in a phased manner)
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20210214_172439.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20210222_181125.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20210724_200537.jpg  

Old 1st September 2021, 23:34   #5784
Senior - BHPian

GUYS!!

The stray cat has spawned, probably. He brought his partner and kittens to our doorstep and has vanished for last 4 days. I am unsure when were they born but are tiny, able to fit on my large palm.

The mother is docile and doesn't mind us being around the kittens at all - a complete opposite of the (supposed) rowdy father.

There are three, and none of them have colors from dad. Two of them have some ~ resemblance to mother. Seem healthy and make sound as if birds are chirping We didn't feed them anything, while their mom got some chicken. She also caught a large-ish rat yesterday.

These are THE cutest things I have ever seen in real life bar none.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p8317833_dxo.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p8317840_dxo.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p9017884_dxo.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p9017901_dxo.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p9017914_dxo.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p9017922_dxo.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p9017943_dxo.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p9017951_dxo.jpg
Old 4th September 2021, 19:32   #5785
BHPian

Guys, I've situation at my home with a stray pregnant dog !
She stays in my society, I feed her leftover food occasionally, and she usually spends time sleeping in my parking. I noticed she's pregnant and could be due any day now. As for now I've given her temporary bed made using cardboard and a jute bag spread over it. I'm wondering how to help her when the puppies are here. With rains pouring down , how can she keep them warm. Please any suggestions are welcome. For a stray, she looks overall healthy and I'm now giving her little amount of food, 4-5 times a day, as she eats only little bit of food.
Old 6th September 2021, 10:29   #5786
BHPian

This is my pet, Sultan.
He's a pedigree Great Dane and is 10 months old. At this stage itself, he's 85cms tall and weighs 60kg. He's expected to grow for a further 8-10 months though not at this pace. One of my threads on this forum is to look for a new car to accommodate him on long trips.
Life with him is like living with a rockstar. It is said that having a Great Dane in your facility makes you famous. In the last 10 months, we have come to be identified as Sultan's parents and are stopped by almost every passer by wishing to pet him or her clicked with him. We have, therefore, suddenly witnessed an explosion of our friends' circle in a good way.
A docile and gentle breed, he's an ideal companion.
Any fellow Great Dane owner in Mumbai, would love to meet up.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-screenshot_2021090610281088_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg  

Last edited by handsofsteel : 6th September 2021 at 10:36.
Old 6th September 2021, 15:32   #5787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
One of my threads on this forum is to look for a new car to accommodate him on long trips.
If you are an SUV lover, you might want to explore ISUZU vCross!
With a canopy and an added air condition system paired together with some mods to have communication between the 2nd row and the large-boot, I think your dane is going to love it!

I saw one kept for display at a PetFed event in Bengaluru a couple of years ago and yeah, it was definitely droolworthy.
Old 6th September 2021, 15:49   #5788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
This is my pet, Sultan.
What a handsome looking fellow, apt name too. Looks like he knows, loves being photographed and being the centre of attention. Look at the pose, a genuine canine model.

Best wishes and love to Sultan

Cheers
Old 6th September 2021, 16:32   #5789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I've situation at my home with a stray pregnant dog !
She stays in my society, I feed her leftover food occasionally, and she usually spends time sleeping in my parking. I noticed she's pregnant and could be due any day now. As for now I've given her temporary bed made using cardboard and a jute bag spread over it. I'm wondering how to help her when the puppies are here. With rains pouring down , how can she keep them warm. Please any suggestions are welcome. For a stray, she looks overall healthy and I'm now giving her little amount of food, 4-5 times a day, as she eats only little bit of food.
Assuming your parking area isn't exposed to the elements, the current 'setup' is a good enough preperation. I'd suggest expanding on the space with one or more jute bags/old sheets as once the puppies are out, the space requirement might increase a bit. Maybe keep a bowl of water that you keep refilling every day.

Trust you don't have any complaining neighbors - that seems to be quite common these days even if they aren't really impacted.
Old 6th September 2021, 17:01   #5790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With rains pouring down , how can she keep them warm. Please any suggestions are welcome.
My suggestion - not to worry. It's us humans who have regressed in coping with weather. We cant even walk barefoot now. Animals are stronger than we think, and to add to that, the mother's maternal instincts will do the required.

Like they say (with us humans), a mother wraps her baby in that much wool as she herself feels cold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks