Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2009, 01:35   #556
Senior - BHPian

^^^I speak from long personal experience. And I did use the word "most" and not "all". There may be a rare good one somewhere. I don't have words to describe the ones I'v interacted with and heard of... any word I know will be far too mild.
Old 17th May 2009, 06:55   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Our pup was attacked by a street dog last evening, trying to grab him by the chest. There was a little bleeding & teeth marks at the spot. There's some swelling in the area. Had taken him to the vet soon after that.

The pup's been subdued since then ... seems a little shaken. Post the medicines, he looks ok : no temperature etc.

Any thing to watch out for ?

Quote:
chel : We came to know 10 months old golden retriever is up for adoption.
Alter_Ego : I am all game to adopt the golden retriever.
Chel & Alter Ego : are you guys set ?
Old 17th May 2009, 08:35   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Did not hear from Chel yet. Probably might have got busy.
Old 17th May 2009, 09:43   #559
Senior - BHPian

The pup's just gone through a harrowing experience. Since he has been treated by the vet and like you say, seems Ok and no temperature, should get back to it's naughtiful ways soon ! At that age, they tend to forget quite easily ! Do let us know how the fellow is in a couple of days.
Old 17th May 2009, 11:14   #560
BHPian

Quote:
The pup's been subdued since then ... seems a little shaken. Post the medicines, he looks ok : no temperature etc.

Any thing to watch out for ?
Its just the harrowing experience he went through. Give him a lot of care & a little more attention to make him regain his confidence. Is the puppy undergoing anti Rabies post bite therapy? If not plz do consult your vet for advice.
Old 17th May 2009, 11:18   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^I speak from long personal experience. And I did use the word "most" and not "all". There may be a rare good one somewhere. I don't have words to describe the ones I'v interacted with and heard of... any word I know will be far too mild.
Raccoon, I understand the causticity in your words have stemmed from certain unfortunate events. While I cannot go along with a statement that you have put up here, you are at liberty to hold on to your views. Sorry If I have hurt your sentiments. I apologize on behalf of the Vets community.
Old 17th May 2009, 15:28   #562
Senior - BHPian

^^^There are no grounds for you to apologize. Believe me, the ones I'm talking about are/were not the least bit apologetic.

I shall hope more vets would be like you.
Old 17th May 2009, 15:46   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
anilagdr : Its just the harrowing experience he went through. Give him a lot of care & a little more attention to make him regain his confidence. Is the puppy undergoing anti Rabies post bite therapy? If not plz do consult your vet for advice.
@Kannan & Anil, thanks : Will do. He looks to be coming out of it : has begun to eat & walk about.

He's got the Anti-Rabies injection yesterday itself. Also on Sporidex & Crocin currently.
Old 17th May 2009, 17:51   #564
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

sad - even when we lived in the Nilgiris in the 90's, my childhood companion Simba - a large grey wolf-like alsatian was lost to the local panther. However, since he was 14 years old, we felt that he had had a good life and went out in a blaze.
our other dogs at the time - 10 year old Rufus the Irish Setter and Simba 2, the baby half dober half alsatian were inconsolable for a while.
in a way im happy i live in bangalore now with my three pets, 2 Alsatians and a Labrador - where atleast there are no leopards.
But I ve always felt that all dogs are happiest when living in the Nilgiris and similar places - lovely clean air and green surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Interesting.
I had a couple of dogs.They were vulnerable to the other predators where I had used to stay before I have shifted to my new home in the town.
I had boxers,German Shepherds,Lhasa Apso,Pom,Boxer,Rajapalayam,Labs and Doberman.
The doberman was gobbled by a leopard and since I had decided not to have a pet unless I shift to my new home as this was the second dog I had lost.

Now I am planning to get a Neopolitan mastiff or probably a English bull mastiff.My parents are aghast with the idea of me wanting to spend on a dog what you can spend on 10 cows.Yet i have decided to go ahead and get one soon.
yes vkochar - I HATE the way people treat strays - indeed, I have in the past physically restrained people - sometimes in a violent manner to stop them harming poor cows, bulls, dogs and other creatures.
Man is a VIRUS - and frankly with all this Global Warming etc, Im sure it is Nature's way of getting rid of the wickedest virus ever created - MAN!

Yesterday Im glad to say I played a golf tournament at KGA in support of a first class Bangalore Charity called CUPA - Compassion Unlimited and POSITIVE ACTION. - they do fantastic work with abandoned animals.

Our labrador came from there - she was abandoned by her miserable filthy owner when she was 4 months old - and worst was, she was put out on the Street!!

If I see such a person, I will not be responsible for my actions I tell you.
If all of us - especially the Bangalore boys could be good enough to contribute a small amount towards CUPA, I believe it would go a long way to helping poor animals. They are located at the Vet College Hospital premises in Hebbal - if one visits them, one will see the quality of work they do. (Just a thought which I thought I would share)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I know this for a fact that Dogs do have a sixth sense or a sense of sniffing trouble & death. They Howl when they know death is near.

I have experienced this first hand. Will not state any example here.

I used to think it's only superstitious or only shown in Movies but beleive it or not - Dogs do sense death.

By the way Spitfire - I know many dogs who generally do not eat when their owner goes away or dies.

DOG is a Man's Best Friend as these creatures offer absolute unconditional love.

I just wish & pray that people in our country become a little more sympathetic towards animals. The way people treat stray dogs or stray animals is inhumane. Especially in states like Bihar & UP.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th May 2009 at 12:11. Reason: Please use multiquote option instead of making back to back posts
Old 17th May 2009, 18:42   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

I go to cupa to donate all my old news papers. Even in donations in kind is a fantastic start. And i echo shankars views about man
Old 18th May 2009, 15:29   #566
BHPian

Hi Condor, Alter_ego,
I have sent you folks the contact details thru private message about the Golden retriever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Old 18th May 2009, 16:14   #567
Senior - BHPian

[quote=chel;1309001]Hi Condor, Alter_ego,
I have sent you folks the contact details thru private message about the Golden retriever.

Chel,
How old are the golden retrievers that are up for adoption. Are there any more available? I would be interested in one, if any are available.
Send me a pm of the contact details.

Cheers,
Old 18th May 2009, 17:46   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

@Benny, that particular retriever is no longer available.
Old 18th May 2009, 21:47   #569
BHPian

Quote:
@Benny, that particular retriever is no longer available.
Thanks Parwath for the quick follow up.

But I got a bit confused here.I guess we were talking about a particular GR whose pic was posted here.
From where did the pups coming into the discussion.I guess i was so engrosed with the GR adoption that I missed the posts on the pups.
Old 18th May 2009, 22:31   #570
BHPian

I want to share with you all my poodle Bailey. I think you will like him! He loves to bark at his reflection. This is very funny, check out the video below. Does anyone else have poodles that do this? The poodle is a very energetic dog, I enjoy them very much.

Most Viewed