Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2021, 17:01   #5611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Update: the person says he also has a female Rottweiler and Golden Retriever.

He is a farmer, so I dont think he is a professional breeder - though the number of breeds !

Those who want to buy, do make your checks. I am only sharing info. DM me for his number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Does anyone know of a reputable dog breeder in Lucknow please? A relative wants to purchase a Labrador retriever dog.
Always adopt and never shop.
If you know people looking to get dogs, direct them to a shelter and not to a breeder. A true dog lover will cherish the idea of giving a forever home to a shelter dog.
Old 8th April 2021, 17:51   #5612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Gorgeous pup @Behemoth lots of love to Milo and the squirrels (they need names too!). Good on you for adopting

Does anyone know of a reputable dog breeder in Lucknow please? A relative wants to purchase a Labrador retriever dog.
Thanks! Yes I have named the squirrels too - they are named Chip and Dale after the famous Chipmunks show that used to come in my childhood
Though getting them trained to listen is impossible.
For the Labrador retriever even I would recommend adopting instead - you can get some nice part lab puppies for adoption. The problem with labs is at old age most of them get hip dysplasia and it is really painful to see them suffer so much. Our Lab started getting hip dysplasia at 10 years and he could not walk after he was 12 years and we had to carry him and even had a wheelchair for him. But it is really heartbreaking. He passed away at 13.5 years and we were really sad. Seeing your beloved pets in this condition is really difficult.
Indian dogs are generally better adapted and less disease prone than pedigree dogs who belong to other regions and climates.
There is a good website for dog adoption which I know : dogwithblog.in
Do check there

Last edited by Behemoth : 8th April 2021 at 17:54.
Old 8th April 2021, 18:33   #5613
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, we plan to keep a dog in our farm house and want to keep a local breed dog. We had a GS 10 years back, so not new to keeping pets, but have no knowledge of breeds. Is there a specific breed that i should look at, or should i pick a street dog litter and raise it as our pet?

Also one observation. Around my area ( i stay in Jalandhar), i now see 2 huskies going about their round in the evening with their master. Can these dogs survive our climate, isnt our weather cruel on them? The dogs themselves look quite healthy and seem to be enjoying their time.
Old 8th April 2021, 19:06   #5614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi guys, we plan to keep a dog in our farm house and want to keep a local breed dog. We had a GS 10 years back, so not new to keeping pets, but have no knowledge of breeds. Is there a specific breed that i should look at, or should i pick a street dog litter and raise it as our pet?

Also one observation. Around my area ( i stay in Jalandhar), i now see 2 huskies going about their round in the evening with their master. Can these dogs survive our climate, isnt our weather cruel on them? The dogs themselves look quite healthy and seem to be enjoying their time.
My wife's maternal uncles have a farm house & have been served by a number of generations of a single female local breed dog. She was picked when she was a puppy and she & her kids have been serving the family quite well. They are no nonsense, don't need any special care, are loving, loyal & can survive in harsh conditions. I would say pick a cute puppy from around your surroundings & you won't regret. Don't go looking for breed, it defeats the purpose of adoption, I think.

As for Huskies, they are not built to survive in our weather, it is just cruel. The owners must have made some special arrangements, I hope.

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 8th April 2021 at 19:09.
Old 8th April 2021, 19:29   #5615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
My wife's maternal uncles have a farm house & have been served by a number of generations of a single female local breed dog.
Thank you! Just the experience I wanted to hear! One question to you and others, once I find the puppy, how should it be vaccinated and what initial precautions should I take, given I have two small kids at home.
Old 8th April 2021, 19:47   #5616
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Just the experience I wanted to hear! One question to you and others, once I find the puppy, how should it be vaccinated and what initial precautions should I take, given I have two small kids at home.
Nothing different from any other puppy!
When you identify a good litter of Indie dogs try to pick one which is friendly and healthy. However be very careful of their mom! They can sense that you are trying to take a puppy and will get aggressive.
Get them dewormed at 4 weeks (by giving them deworming syrup) and then first vaccinations will start at 6 weeks.
If they are from a known pair of dogs (owned by someone) they should be fine before that. But if they are strays (not owned by anyone), take them at around 6 weeks and take them to a vet for deworming and vaccination first before taking them home.
Old 8th April 2021, 20:49   #5617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Always adopt and never shop.
If you know people looking to get dogs, direct them to a shelter and not to a breeder. A true dog lover will cherish the idea of giving a forever home to a shelter dog.
They had two dogs in the past and wish to buy one. Not my choice and I agree with what you say. But I need a reference of a trusted breeder for them. A backyard breeder who doesn't follow protocols and take care of their pets is worse.
Old 9th April 2021, 09:40   #5618
BHPian

Quote:

Also one observation. Around my area ( i stay in Jalandhar), i now see 2 huskies going about their round in the evening with their master. Can these dogs survive our climate, isnt our weather cruel on them?
I saw an Alaskan Malamute, a rare type of dog which resembles a Siberian Husky, in Kalakshetra colony some time back. I chatted up with the owner and noted some interesting information: Malamutes are large dogs like pure bred GSD, but docile in nature. Only issue is they need to be in air-conditioned room almost all the time.
They will shed copious amount of fur if left in normal Madras weather. But this is not restricted to Malamute/Huskies, even GSDs suffer shedding in warm weather.
Even their temperament is affected if left in non-ac environment. I personally know that GSDs become irritable and lose appetite in summers unless kept in an airconditioned room.
Old 9th April 2021, 11:26   #5619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
But if they are strays (not owned by anyone), take them at around 6 weeks and take them to a vet for deworming and vaccination first before taking them home.
Hi. It will most likely be a stray litter or litters. In which case, I am slightly confused. Are you saying :
a) pick them up only when they are 6 weeks old? If yes, why is that and how do I guess the puppy's age?
b) to get them dewormed and vaccinated before taking them home?
Old 9th April 2021, 11:42   #5620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi. It will most likely be a stray litter or litters. In which case, I am slightly confused. Are you saying :
a) pick them up only when they are 6 weeks old? If yes, why is that and how do I guess the puppy's age?
b) to get them dewormed and vaccinated before taking them home?
Yes, In this case it is ideal to pick them up around 6 weeks of age and get them checked and vaccinated before taking them home.
A 4 week old puppy is generally quite small, but able to walk and run about on its own (see the pic of my 4 week old puppy which I shared a few posts back). A six week old puppy is able to run fast and also jump a little bit.
If you have any doubts, what you can do is take your chosen puppy to the Vet and let them check him/ her - they will tell you the age correctly. Then if they are old enough to be vaccinated, get them vaccinated then and there.
Second option (better) is if you call the Vet to your area (where the pups are) and get the whole litter vaccinated - this way the whole litter and the area will also be safer.
Old 15th April 2021, 01:07   #5621
BHPian

Hey Guy’s!

My Brother in law has been admitted to hospital due to covid 19 today, my sister who has tested negative now but has all the symptoms of covid.

Her children can go to grandparents house if at all my sister also has to get admitted.

The issue is they have a pet with them a labrador around 3 years old full grown who has to be taken care of, I can’t get him to my place as my wife is paranoid about dogs.

Is there any place where we can keep pets for a week? Something like a day care preferably in Navi Mumbai or Mumbai?

I googled around and found some pet boarding, not sure how good and reliable they are.

Appreciate any inputs!

Last edited by firstdrive : 15th April 2021 at 01:16. Reason: Pet boarding added
Old 15th April 2021, 01:27   #5622
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
Hey Guy’s!

My Brother in law has been admitted to hospital due to covid 19 today, my sister who has tested negative now but has all the symptoms of covid.

Her children can go to grandparents house if at all my sister also has to get admitted.

The issue is they have a pet with them a labrador around 3 years old full grown who has to be taken care of, I can’t get him to my place as my wife is paranoid about dogs.

Is there any place where we can keep pets for a week? Something like a day care preferably in Navi Mumbai or Mumbai?

I googled around and found some pet boarding, not sure how good and reliable they are.

Appreciate any inputs!
Have heard good reviews for- Pawfect Life, Andheri East, from a friend in Malad.

You should avoid the centres in Navi Mumbai IMO. Haven't heard any good reviews so far from a couple of pet owning families I know.
Old 18th April 2021, 02:42   #5623
BHPian

What is the opinion on Bhotia/ Gaddi / Bakarwal dogs ? Want to get one in Chennai and we will be spending time in both Chennai and Kodaikanal.

The weather shouldn't be an issue as other furry breeds like German shepherds do okay in Chennai weather albeit indoors. Generally quite scared of dogs but the dogs in Ladakh and Spiti were super friendly. Probably the first time I had petted a dog which wasn't known to me. Love their giant size, calm demeanor and their fiercely protective and brave nature.

Any breeders who breed these dogs in Chennai or Bangalore ? The other option is to pickup one when we go on vacation to the Himalayas next time .
Old 18th April 2021, 06:39   #5624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
What is the opinion on Bhotia/ Gaddi / Bakarwal dogs ? Want to get one in Chennai and we will be spending time in both Chennai and Kodaikanal.

The weather shouldn't be an issue as other furry breeds like German shepherds do okay in Chennai weather albeit indoors. Generally quite scared of dogs but the dogs in Ladakh and Spiti were super friendly. Probably the first time I had petted a dog which wasn't known to me. Love their giant size, calm demeanor and their fiercely protective and brave nature.

Any breeders who breed these dogs in Chennai or Bangalore ? The other option is to pickup one when we go on vacation to the Himalayas next time .
These breeds of dogs are native to the Hilly terrain and generally found only in Himachal and Uttarakhand, J&K and some other hilly states.
They have a very heavy coat as they have evolved over the years to adjust to snowy terrain and extreme cold. They are mild mannered but very powerful and can get aggressive if cranky.

https://pawsindia.com/blogs/news/bhu...betian-mastiff

They will not adjust well to Chennai climate and will have problems adjusting. Their physical adjustment issues can also lead to crankiness and bad behaviour.
For Chennai, I would recommend getting a desi dog who is better adjusted to hot climate - Like a pariah or a Greater Indian spitz. They will have no issues in hot climates.

Last edited by Behemoth : 18th April 2021 at 06:55.
Old 25th April 2021, 08:11   #5625
BHPian

My bunnies (Jerry and Reddish) in India. My parents are taking care of them. Both are around 2 years old. I don’t have any pet in Canada yet.
And we used to have a female dog named Boxy (picture attached). She expired last year on 22 October. She was around 13.5 years old that time. When she became part of our family in 2007, she was around 1 month old that time.
After coming to Canada on 13 December 2019, I used to talk to her on video call. When I got news about her demise, I was in complete shock. Still missing my Doll every single moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-7f96c9a5c5a741d0874d4c4640b8a1ab.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-09340eb55d47440b8e139ab68b38feca.jpeg  

Last edited by Bhalla : 25th April 2021 at 08:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks