Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 16:56   #5596
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
He's gonna go under proper grooming sesh this weekend.
Doggie detailing, eh?

He does look great... with or without the detailing.

(doggie detailing: not to be confused with doggie de-tailing. Which is bad)
Old 7th January 2021, 16:57   #5597
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha. I read that fast and i thought his name was sesh. As in Seshadri lol
Old 7th January 2021, 23:54   #5598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
...Whenever society members try to request the pet owner to not to leave the cat unattended, the owner more or less threatens with legal action.
Note that nobody is saying that the owner shouldn't keep the pet, but the only ask is to take the responsibility...
Thanks!
What crap! If someone has a pet, they need to ensure its not a nuisance for others. If the pet damages anyone's property, the owner SHOULD be held liable for damages. I think its the 'request' which is not working here and the guy has understood his 'threats' are working.

1. Get the association to take a strong stand on the owner not letting the cat off his flat when he is not around.

2. Get the association to hold him liable for damages and make him pay for it

3. If he throws tantrums, get the flat owner to ask the guy to leave.

Considering that most residents (if not all) have trouble, shouldn't be difficult to get him under control if you all work together.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th January 2021 at 23:55.
Old 8th January 2021, 06:52   #5599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post my query - MODs, please feel free to move to other threads.

TL;DR: Is it legal to ask the pet owners to not to leave their pets unattended in an apartment building (common areas)?

So, the questions are - is it legal to ask the pet owner to not leave the pets unattended?
With the right to keep the pet in an apartment, there will be certain responsibilities too?

Please share your thoughts on the above.
Thanks!
@Thad E Ginathom has mentioned most of the relevant points so I won't repeat.

PET cats fall into two buckets - those that are completely indoor and those that are free to go outside. The above cat is a free animal in this case - much more different that the completely indoor pet cats that many have. And with that the owner's control options are limited to what it does when it is roaming outside. And having tasted the freedom to go outside, even if he tried to keep it at home, it won't work, the cat will escape at the first option available.

Also cats are territorial animals - your society is its territory of dominance (wrt to other cats). I'd say even if you jointly kick out the owner, there could be a possibility that the cat might still prefer to stay around this area, especially if it has multiple food source options (say others also feeding the cat).

I don't think the owner can do a lot (to prevent) wrt the seat scratching and cat prints on the car. Wrt the danger to kids, domesticated cats (like this one) don't really attack humans unless they are troubled/attacked first. So he's kinda right when he's saying there's no danger.

Wrt legality, there is no case (IMO). I'm sure that pet hasn't been registered to him, so it will be kind of labeled a stray.

The owner is kind of being an ass if he's completely washing his hands off wrt the damage the cat is doing, especially if there is valid proof of the cat being the cause of the damage. I'd say it's a tricky situation - could have been easier to work it out if the owner was more ready to discuss the situation.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 8th January 2021 at 07:00.
Old 8th January 2021, 13:24   #5600
BHPian

Quote:

is it legal to ask the pet owner to not leave the pets unattended?
With the right to keep the pet in an apartment, there will be certain responsibilities too?
It is complicated. The cat owner is also the apartment owner and there is little chance of evicting him because of his pet if the society rules permit him to have a pet. Coming to the Cat issue, you can't control him/her to live inside your house. If they can find a way out, they will. They can walk on 3 inch wide parapet above a high rise building without batting an eyelid.
If the cat is elderly, it can attack/scratch children/adults if provoked. If it is a stray cat it can carry the parasite toxoplasmosis which will affect humans.
But for well cared cats, it is easy enough to ward them off from your own personal area. Use a water gun which is filled with diluted vinegar (no need to go for expensive Apple Cider Vinegar, just get the chemical vinegar) on them. They don't like vinegar and they will avoid your area. You can shoo them with harsh expressions on your face. Trust me they will sense your murderous rage when you make faces.
My neighbor had dozens of stray cats. They attacked birds and squirrels in my trees. I used many such tricks upon them. I gently prevailed upon the neighbor to pack these stray cats to Blue Cross.

Last option - many will kill me for saying this: catch the cat and deposit it in your neighborhood Blue Cross. Or send it to a fish market. Traditionally people used to dump their unwanted stray cats in a fish market. They survive with the readily available fish food there. And there are no predators there.
Old 8th January 2021, 13:46   #5601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It is complicated. The cat owner is also the apartment owner and there is little chance of evicting him because of his pet if the society rules permit him to have a pet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
3. If he throws tantrums, get the flat owner to ask the guy to leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I'd say even if you jointly kick out the owner, there could be a possibility that the cat might still prefer to stay around this area, especially if it has multiple food source options (say others also feeding the cat).

Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

One thing I want to reiterate - no one wants to evict the cat or the owner. We all respect the right to keep the pets.
The only ask is to look after the pets or not to keep them unattended - it was kind of okay till the cat was wandering in common areas, but off late the cat was found to be sitting in someone's private balcony. Not to mention seat covers of bikes being damaged.

Many folks either don't like the pets or have some allergies - something we thought the owner must respect, that's all.

Quote:
I don't think the owner can do a lot (to prevent) wrt the seat scratching and cat prints on the car. Wrt the danger to kids, domesticated cats (like this one) don't really attack humans unless they are troubled/attacked first. So he's kinda right when he's saying there's no danger.
A couple of days back, almost every member from the apartment jumped in to the discussion & the cat owner had to back off. Since then, the cat has been in their house & wasn't seen unattended in the common areas.
This means, it was very much in control of the owner - it's just that the owner chose to fight instead of taking the responsibility.
Old 8th January 2021, 16:39   #5602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106
A couple of days back, almost every member from the apartment jumped in to the discussion & the cat owner had to back off. Since then, the cat has been in their house & wasn't seen unattended in the common areas.
This means, it was very much in control of the owner - it's just that the owner chose to fight instead of taking the responsibility.
I'm glad things are working out.

Quote:
If it is a stray cat it can carry the parasite toxoplasmosis which will affect humans.
I may be a decade or three out of date on this, but, if I remember correctly, the danger of toxoplasmosis is to pregnant women. IIRC, the disease is transmitted via the crap. Combination of indoor litter trays and pregnancy is a huge no-no. But if you don't get pregnant, and you avoid close contact with the excrement, not much to worry about. Correct if wrong. But don't tell my wife!
Quote:
But for well cared cats, it is easy enough to ward them off from your own personal area. Use a water gun which is filled with diluted vinegar (no need to go for expensive Apple Cider Vinegar, just get the chemical vinegar) on them. They don't like vinegar and they will avoid your area. You can shoo them with harsh expressions on your face. Trust me they will sense your murderous rage when you make faces.
I've tried supersoakers, vinegar, cheap-perfume sprays, all sorts. A determined tom cat is not so easily put off. Sadly, my tom cat, although very large, is also a coward, and they all get old, my last tom cat was a great fighter, but, eventually died from fight injuries.

One intruder cat, I used to fight off with a broom. It just fought back, attacking my broom!

Quote:
Last option - many will kill me for saying this: catch the cat and deposit it in your neighborhood Blue Cross. Or send it to a fish market. Traditionally people used to dump their unwanted stray cats in a fish market. They survive with the readily available fish food there. And there are no predators there.
I can understand the frustration leading to extreme action, but, leaving aside any emotional aspects, this would amount to theft of the cat.

There are predators near fish markets: street dogs.

Speaking of extreme action: a roaming dog might help others who find themselves with a cat nuisance. But don't tell my cats I said that!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th January 2021 at 16:40.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:35   #5603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
if I remember correctly, the danger of toxoplasmosis is to pregnant women. IIRC, the disease is transmitted via the crap. Combination of indoor litter trays and pregnancy is a huge no-no. But if you don't get pregnant, and you avoid close contact with the excrement, not much to worry about. Correct if wrong. But don't tell my wife!
Sorry Thad. Toxoplasmosis can spread through:
  • Directly from cat feces
  • From contaminated water, from soil or water with toxo from kitty litter or feces - feral cats or trash disposal may be responsible.
The parasite exists in feces and mostly found in feces of cat. This means, it can be found in some unwashed produce contaminated with manure.
Amongst other things these dormant parasites can affect the neuron connectivity in the brain resulting in strange behaviors which include increased suicidal tendencies. Another effect is lowered reaction time, increase in irritation which combine to increase the rate of road accidents. Rats infected with the parasite exhibit poor self preservation as they appear fearless against their predator - cats, an effect dubbed as fatal feline attraction. It affects men in a negative way while having no similar effects in women.

Source: https://athena.targetwoman.com/cats

Quote:
Speaking of extreme action: a roaming dog might help others who find themselves with a cat nuisance. But don't tell my cats I said that!
Heard of gypsies (nari kuravas in Tamil)? They eat cats. Please don't tell anyone I said this.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th January 2021 at 10:54. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 9th January 2021, 23:33   #5604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Thad.
OK, I'll do some new research. I did say I was probably out of date
Quote:
Heard of gypsies (nari kuravas in Tamil)? They eat cats. Please don't tell anyone I said this.
Indeed I have. I believe that they have eaten two of mine.
Old 10th January 2021, 22:49   #5605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your neighbour’s hormonally excited cats, therefore, are cleverly exploiting a loophole in the law as they disport themselves on your balcony
Dear Agony Akka,
We live in a very posh area and we are from a respectable family. But we are having no mental peace and no sleep for many nights because of a somewhat delicate matter concerning our new neighbours. They are a high society family: their house help told our house help that the man of the house is related to one Union Minister. We can see his SPG security. And he wears gem-rings on eight fingers. They have two imported cars and hold a satsang every week. But we are not bothered: we also have a posh car and our son works in a multinational bank. The problem is this: ever since they moved in, we are having a cat problem. How to say this? At night, their cats come to our balcony, our bedroom balcony, and make an infernal noise. It sounds like many infants shrieking in agony. There is so much noise that my husband and I are unable to sleep. I am getting migraine headache. So, we asked our house help to tell their house help to tell the wife of the relative of the Union Minister to keep their cats indoors. But they sent a reply back saying, sorry, cats have minds of their own, they cannot be controlled, we can’t do anything. How to deal with this situation?
— Moderately Enraged Woman
Quote:
Dear MEW,

The burden of hailing from a respectable family is a heavy cross to bear. And clearly you bear it with great efficiency. But face it, the cats belonging to your well-connected neighbour are in season. In other words, their extra-territorial — and noisy — catty carnal congress is unavoidable. To do justice to your query, I scoured the Indian Penal Code (and the Feline Penile Code) to see which section of that spectacularly illiberal document may cover this peculiar contingency.
But it appears that the keen and incisive minds of those who frame our laws have overlooked this everyday situation. Mind you, these are the same luminaries who drafted the law that makes kite-flying a violation of the provisions of the Aircraft Act, 1934, punishable with up to two years in jail. So, it’s not like they haven’t been thorough, just not thorough enough.
Your neighbour’s hormonally excited cats, therefore, are cleverly exploiting a loophole in the law as they disport themselves on your balcony. In any case, given your neighbour’s day job, I am guessing you have no intention of proceeding against them in any legal sense. Discretion is arguably the better part of valour. Far easier to deal with amorous cats than with Black Cats.
What then are your options? First, convert complaint to boast. Clearly, these sensitive creatures have picked your balcony over your neighbour’s posh interiors and exteriors for their l’affaires.
You can discreetly drop this fact at your next bridge party.
Second, drown the noise. You are an unusual woman. Other, cavalier people might have objected to their eardrums being assaulted by shrill satsinging but you’re disturbed only by cat-calls. Why not host louder all-night satsangs that frighten the felines away?
Third, you could consider buying a dog. I am sure an expensive purebred with too much fur that makes it entirely unsuitable for this city would be right up your street. A disapproving upmarket dog would decrease the cats’ enthusiasm and increase your poshness quotient.
But frankly, MEW, I wouldn’t recommend any of the above. Your daily life, however stylish, sounds vacuous. The nocturnal cat visits seem to provide the only frisson of excitement. Embrace the experience: your life will be the richer for it.
— AA
agony.akka@gmail.com
https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/who...le33528582.ece
Old 16th March 2021, 01:08   #5606
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the story of two of my indie (or maybe mixes) puppies. Brownie and Snowie

Brownie

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210222_184226.jpg

Found her in a litter of four 2 month old pups when I was on my way to school. I would feed them daily (and still do). Unfortunately, two lost their lives during the lockdown and the third one (named Cookie) died of distemper in September, 2020.

The void Cookie left was and still is unfilled if I am to be honest. She had major behavioural issues. Would never let anyone touch her, and was very sensitive to the slightest of sounds. However, she was fiercely loyal and seeing her tail wagging aggressively when she would catch sight of me would make my day. It took 6 days for us to capture her and it was too late by then She died 2 days later at a dog shelter undergoing treatment.

Brownie continues to live near to my house. She has grown up and is a year and 2-3 months old now.

Snowie

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210314_184157.jpg

The runt who dropped out of nowhere. I was out on a leisure drive when I found him wailing by the side of the road. He had two wounds and his mother was nowhere in sight either. I put him in the Spark and took him to the nearest dog shelter in December, 2020.

My mom was not ready to adopt him initially, but I simply brought him home one fine morning. Needless to say, she has developed an even stronger sense of affection towards him than even me or my dad could.

Both Snowie and Brownie don't stay with me. Brownie still stays on the street (she has grown accustomed to the enviroment) while Snowie stays with my househelp in a village. She has a 6 year old Labrador and a couple of puppies so she knows how to take care of him.

My new home is under construction and I will be taking both Snowie and Brownie with me once its built (around 3-4 months is the estimated time for completion).

One query I have about both is that they seem to be mixed breeds to me. Neither looks like an Indian Pariah (plenty of them in my area). Could someone shed light on what breed or mix they could be ? (Snowie especially)

Last edited by vishy76 : 16th March 2021 at 01:10.
Old 19th March 2021, 18:08   #5607
Distinguished - BHPian

If any one looking for GSD / pitbull pups,

Got a message in one of my groups for about 4 GSD pups. Location Chikmagalur. The pups will be give after they are 45 days old.
Old 20th March 2021, 22:10   #5608
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: the person says he also has a female Rottweiler and Golden Retriever.

He is a farmer, so I dont think he is a professional breeder - though the number of breeds !

Those who want to buy, do make your checks. I am only sharing info. DM me for his number.
Old 5th April 2021, 16:16   #5609
Distinguished - BHPian

Pleased to welcome the newest members of our family. After almost 2 years of our Lab passing away (at 13.5 years) we finally wanted to get another pup. Though we were initially keen for a Lab, we thought it will be better to adopt an Indie dog instead this time.
So please welcome Milo - he is a 4 week old Indie pup born in a Village in Rajasthan (Nimbhor, near Anantpura).
He is a bundle of joy and very naughty already.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210404_094006.jpg

Also at the same time I am hand rearing two baby squirrels who I rescued from street dogs. I found them at 3 weeks old and now they are 5 weeks old. I plan to release them by the time they are 9 weeks old.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210326_211940.jpg

I keep the squirrels on a separate floor and we have an enclosed balcony area where they live currently.
Old 8th April 2021, 15:13   #5610
BHPian

Gorgeous pup @Behemoth lots of love to Milo and the squirrels (they need names too!). Good on you for adopting

Does anyone know of a reputable dog breeder in Lucknow please? A relative wants to purchase a Labrador retriever dog.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks