Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2020, 21:52   #5326
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Can you share any writeups related to this?
Just this afternoon a friend was telling that his 3-year-old lab is in heat and causing troubles. And, since it is too late to get him neutered, there is no option but to trudge ahead. I want to pass this info if my friend is indeed misinformed.

Here you go! https://pets.webmd.com/reasons-spay-neuter-pet

My canine behaviorist is super busy with the dog feeding program so couldn't help me out.
Old 21st April 2020, 22:38   #5327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
My canine behaviorist is super busy with the dog feeding program so couldn't help me out.
Where I live, unless one is a professional breeder, it is hard to find a responsible pet owner who has not neutered or spayed before its first birthday. At all the rescue organizations they spay or neuter pups, they do not wait till they reach adulthood. Once they develop bad habits like jumping the fence to go look for a mate, that behavior may stay even after they are fixed. Rescue organizations do not trust everyone who adopt to spay/neuter responsibly. There used to be a time when rescue orgs would take a spay/neuter deposit and return it after the pet was fixed. These days, most big rescues do it right away when they are pups.

We have had a purebred, and we waited 9 months to get him neutered. By the 7th month he was a big pain at the dog parks and dog beach. We held back for another month (because of the hormone reasoning), after which our vet talked us out of waiting any longer.
Old 21st April 2020, 22:41   #5328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
We have had a purebred, and we waited 9 months to get him neutered. By the 7th month he was a big pain at the dog parks and dog beach. We held back for another month (because of the hormone reasoning), after which our vet talked us out of waiting any longer.
What breed is it, may I ask? Ideally it is important for dogs to reach full maturity before they are spayed/neutered.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st April 2020 at 23:12. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 21st April 2020, 23:11   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, but this doesn't talk about whether adult dogs can be neutered or not. My friend says they can't be.
Old 21st April 2020, 23:13   #5330
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but this doesn't talk about whether adult dogs can be neutered or not. My friend says they can't be.
Well, then have him/her speak to their vet.
Old 22nd April 2020, 00:01   #5331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Where I live, unless one is a professional breeder, it is hard to find a responsible pet owner who has not neutered or spayed before its first birthday.
This is a good thing! I mean neutering before the first birthday; that's being very responsible IMO; unless you meant something else.

Quote:
At all the rescue organizations they spay or neuter pups, they do not wait till they reach adulthood. .... These days, most big rescues do it right away when they are pups.
Yup, easier for them for multiple reasons when one considers the volume of animals they deal with. And also helps avoid giving dogs to potential breeders.

Quote:
We have had a purebred, and we waited 9 months to get him neutered.
Sorry, but why?

Quote:
What breed is it, may I ask? Ideally it is important for dogs to reach full maturity before they are spayed/neutered.
No; the ideal time is to get them spayed/neutered before they reach their sexual maturity; which generally is around the 6 month mark or a few months later.
But neutering them by 4-5 months is also preferred nowadays and considered pretty safe for the pet. Generally, rescue organizations do around that period; as puppies are more easily adopted than dogs (I guess).

I am not fully aware if there are breed-related benefits of neutering later, but the above point is more from what I have understood from my vet(s) and connect with people in that industry over the last 2 decades.

Quote:
What I understood from my vet is that they can be done; but there are complications/risks as the age goes up. I'll agree with @vishwasvr - your friend's vet is the right person to give the correct answer.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd April 2020 at 00:12.
Old 22nd April 2020, 01:43   #5332
BHPian

Quote:
It is the English Lab in the picture below. He is 12 years old now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sorry, but why?
No good reason. Perhaps misguided. There are lots of claims that neutering early increase the risk of Hip Dysplasia, and we bought into some of these theories then.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...ysplasia-dogs/

We should have neutered him when he was 6 or 7 months old. We waited another month, and it took some more time for the schedules to work out. I think, we got it done in his 9th month. While we waited for the scheduled vet visit, he would go nuts if he sniffed something that caught his fancy. Rescue organizations in the US do it anytime after 8 weeks.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 22nd April 2020 at 01:48.
Old 22nd April 2020, 04:54   #5333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Surely it is never too late for us guys to get neutered (instead of forcing the much more serious "family planning" operation on the wives) so I wonder why there should be any maximum age for a dog.

Looking forward to vet-informed information on this one.
Old 22nd April 2020, 05:14   #5334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Surely it is never too late for us guys to get neutered (instead of forcing the much more serious "family planning" operation on the wives) so I wonder why there should be any maximum age for a dog.
Don't get me started on this. After seeing my wife go through child birth twice, I did not have the heart to let her go through Hysterectomy that involves a major surgery. Vasectomy on the other hand is an outpatient procedure that requires a 24 hour rest. Yet, I know several friends who talk about feminism and what not, slip away at this opportunity to shoulder the pain. A good friend once said, she is already in the hospital for child birth, so Hysterectomy is convenient. I was like "yeah for you!!"

From what I have learned, it is only risky for dogs that are very old and obese to go through neutering. For other adult dogs it should help with well being. With things like enlarged prostrate, and testicular cancer. It should be very fine for a healthy dog in its midlife.
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/gener...euter-your-pet
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:59   #5335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
WHAT???! Tell your grandma before you leave that it's highly critical to put absolutely nothing than feed it bread and biscuits. Milk is fine for kittens but not necessary after 3/4 months when they become adult.

That seems to be an adult cat now, right time to change the diet.. they will suffer kidney enlargement and blindness in later stages if they don't eat proper meat soon, processed or raw.

Thanks for the advise. The current status is that the kitten gets various flavors of Whiskas Kitten, and once in two or three days whiskas adult(1+) years. I am feeding this with water. It seems to absolutely love the food. Now the next question is for the long run, I am planning to switch to solid food, which I can procure in bigger quantities and is easier to dispense. What do you guys think about this, since I am a complete noob when it comes to cat food or anything to do with cats.

Along with dry food, how can the water intake be managed? Is the dry food supposed to be served dry or mixed with some water? And going by my granys account, the kitten is around 4 months old. Is it a good time to slowly switch to dry food or stick to the Whiskas 85gm sachet?
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:07   #5336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thanks for the advise. The current status is that the kitten gets various flavors of Whiskas Kitten, and once in two or three days whiskas adult(1+) years. I am feeding this with water. It seems to absolutely love the food. Now the next question is for the long run, I am planning to switch to solid food, which I can procure in bigger quantities and is easier to dispense. What do you guys think about this, since I am a complete noob when it comes to cat food or anything to do with cats.

Along with dry food, how can the water intake be managed? Is the dry food supposed to be served dry or mixed with some water? And going by my granys account, the kitten is around 4 months old. Is it a good time to slowly switch to dry food or stick to the Whiskas 85gm sachet?
Try and stick to wet food always. You have a huge variety to choose from. I use sheba. Dry food is only for overnight, when the kitty might want to snack and you dont want wet food left overnight which might attract bugs. Keep dry food to the minimum. No need to mix with water. And in terms of dry food, stick to whiskas since she loves it. Don't change the brand and do not touch drools or purepet.

Curd is excellent for cats and their tummies. Regular curd everyday helps regulate the bowels and also bring in moisture. Change her water every other day atleast,and make sure its filled to the brim. Have two or three containers are different places, so she drinks as she sees them.
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:15   #5337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Only dry food is not advisable. Either fully wet food or at least 50% wet food. Dry food can be given as is, no need to mix it in water. But always keep water for drinking. Change it twice a day. Keep water in a stainless steel vessel not plastic. Keep the water far away from the food.
Old 24th April 2020, 09:53   #5338
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a precautionary shoutout to all pet owners / stray feeders - Two pet cats in New York state have tested positive for the coronavirus, marking the first confirmed cases in companion animals in the United States (worldwide - there was a dog in Hong Kong who got infected). Putting this here instead of the virus threads as the target bhpians are more likely to see this post here than this post getting lost in the arguments in those threads.

- Both the cats have had mild respiratory illnesses
- Both cats are expected to have a full recovery
- CDC's view is they got the infection from humans
- CDC's 100% sure they cats don't transmit to humans

In case you (or anyone in your house) has an infection detected in your household, suggest treating your pets as you would do to a family member. I know this probably is too early for most of us, but just to keep aware of the situation.

Source: NY Times
Old 7th May 2020, 12:00   #5339
BHPian

Hello, we have adopted a kitten last week who is not doing very good in health. Vet has diagnosed it as a case of feline hpv and skin problems (loss of hair etc). While we are taking care of him as advised by vet and will get a second opinion too, I need suggestions on wet kitten food. How is whiskas junior tuna or chicken food or any other brand? General reviews seem to be good on internet, any feedback from members here is welcome. Thanks.
Old 7th May 2020, 12:19   #5340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Hello, we have adopted a kitten last week who is not doing very good in health. Vet has diagnosed it as a case of feline hpv and skin problems (loss of hair etc). While we are taking care of him as advised by vet and will get a second opinion too, I need suggestions on wet kitten food. How is whiskas junior tuna or chicken food or any other brand? General reviews seem to be good on internet, any feedback from members here is welcome. Thanks.
Sheba and whiskas are both good

This loss of hair, is it fungal in nature? If yes, I can suggest something that’s been evidenced online and recommended by my vet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks