Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2020, 00:33   #5296
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
Hi

Newbie to this... Hence please pardon my noob question

Considering getting a pet dog.. Am a first time pet owner. Main requirements - small size , suitable for apartment living, not prone to too much barking, and low on maintenance grooming/ shorter hair

Have 2 kids aged 4 and 10. They wanted a pug or shuh tsu.. Any other brand suitable for the humid climate that we have? French Bulldog, beagle

PS - i am also looking at adoptions, but Indian pariah or spitz right now doesn't seem to be their choice

The Indian pariah is best suited for the requirements mentioned. There are many of them seeking good homes yet get never adopted as most people want breeds (or 'brands' like you mentioned). Keeping a pet is a big commitment. I suggest you foster a dog (belonging to a friend or neighbor) for a few days before you actually get one.
Old 11th April 2020, 01:57   #5297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
The Indian pariah is best suited for the requirements mentioned. There are many of them seeking good homes yet get never adopted as most people want breeds (or 'brands' like you mentioned). Keeping a pet is a big commitment. I suggest you foster a dog (belonging to a friend or neighbor) for a few days before you actually get one.
Thanks for the reply.

I agree wholeheartedly to this. However i have a smaller sized apartment and hence wanted a small size dog

Indian pariah while having its advantages would grow to be medium to largish sized.

Hence need suggestions for a small sized / toy breed for apartment,while the convincing for adoption of a pariah continues in the backdrop
Old 11th April 2020, 08:56   #5298
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians in Delhi NCR (specifically in Noida), how are you ordering dog food?

We have a slight situation here. My landlord's sister (she is 75) has a St. Bernard (Max) and she has exhausted all her stock.

Max is 8 years old and it is becoming difficult for her to feed him home cooked food everyday. They have tried every other grocery but no one is delivering till April end/ May beginning.

Any leads would help.

Last edited by Pancham : 11th April 2020 at 08:58.
Old 11th April 2020, 11:07   #5299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post

We have a slight situation here. My landlord's sister (she is 75) has a St. Bernard (Max) and she has exhausted all her stock.

Max is 8 years old and it is becoming difficult for her to feed him home cooked food everyday. They have tried every other grocery but no one is delivering till April end/ May beginning.

Any leads would help.
It seems that mutton and beef is not available due to ban on interstate traffic, hence cattle are not entering. The only recourse is to get chicken and there are a few online retailers who deliver around NOIDA.

As far as home cooked food is concerned, it is best to cook for a few days at a time. For our Lab I had invested in a 12L pressure cooker. I make a Khicdi of parboiled rice, dal and vegetables, and add meat pieces. For one week batch (around 10L) I use
. Rice - 700g
. Dal - 250g
. Vegetables - 2.5kg
. Garlic - 25g
. Turmeric - 1TBS
. Chicken - 750g

I guess a St Bernard will need at least twice as much, so my batch should last it 3 days.

It is best to search online for deliveries of Groceries and meat in your area.
Old 11th April 2020, 13:22   #5300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. Vegetables - 2.5kg
. Garlic - 25g
Please don't feed onions or garlic to the dog.

A bit of pepper and some coconut oil would be ideal for this.

Try this chap in Delhi - www.kennelkitchen.in - they have canned dog food and kibble and should be hopefully able to deliver to Noida.
Old 11th April 2020, 15:57   #5301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hence need suggestions for a small sized / toy breed for apartment,while the convincing for adoption of a pariah continues in the backdrop
Poodles are highly intelligent. Do not believe the idea that they are just a fashion accessory, despite the topiary furcuts that the poor things get given. Because of the nature of poodle fur (some call it wool), you will also have less problem with the dog moulting.
Old 11th April 2020, 16:57   #5302
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Poodles
Recommending Poodle "BRAND" to a new dog owner would be like asking a novice (who can't even ride a bicycle) to start his riding on a HD Fat boy or a BMW GS1200

But agree, poodle is a highly intelligent dog and can be easily trained to be the ideal companion.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 11th April 2020, 17:47   #5303
BHPian

Quote:

Any leads would help.
Ask her to check with local chemists. All of them are stocking dog/ cat food popular brands. I have seen at several chemists in Gurgaon, should be same in Noida too. For home delivery you can talk to the store itself, they might help.
Old 11th April 2020, 17:52   #5304
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I agree wholeheartedly to this. However i have a smaller sized apartment and hence wanted a small size dog

Indian pariah while having its advantages would grow to be medium to largish sized.

Girls are smaller in size. You might also consider taking the runt of the litter (the smallest one). Honestly, an Indie is best suited for your requirements.

Failing that, go for a beagle and if possible consider adopting a freagle.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...OfIndia/posts/
Old 11th April 2020, 18:53   #5305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Recommending Poodle "BRAND" to a new dog owner would be like asking a novice (who can't even ride a bicycle) to start his riding on a HD Fat boy or a BMW GS1200
Do you think they are really difficult to handle? I can say that my wife's daughter has one, and this dog could be described kindly as excentric, and unkindly as weird. She (the dog) has funny ways, like responding to words with the letter "B" by howling. Nice natured though, and never caused any problems with the arrival of a human baby.

My mother had a poodle (a rescue dog) late in life. In fact, up to her death at 90. Whilst she was highly experienced with dogs, at that time in her life she was looking for one that would not be hard work.
Old 11th April 2020, 19:18   #5306
BHPian

Thank you so much for the views guys

As of now in leading positions are these (family's choices)

1 - shih tzu
2 - french bulldog
3 - pug
4 - pariah ( my choice)
5. beagles

beagles - look good, but i have heard some may have temperamental issues and are prone to barking - which annoys my neighbours.
Old 11th April 2020, 22:07   #5307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any leads would help.
Guys many thanks for the help. Bhpian Predatorwheelz helped me out in the morning. He shared the number of one Manish (+91 78999 18916) of Xoxotails. He did not have the exact brand that Max eats so we got a smaller packet of something else. Payment was made by UPI and delivery was within 4 hours. Overall a good experience.
Old 11th April 2020, 23:24   #5308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for the views guys

As of now in leading positions are these (family's choices)

1 - shih tzu
2 - french bulldog
3 - pug
4 - pariah ( my choice)
5. beagles

beagles - look good, but i have heard some may have temperamental issues and are prone to barking - which annoys my neighbours.
As a first timer, I would ask you to keep in mind the following things:
  • Snub nosed dog breeds (shih tzu, french bulldog, pug) have a lot of respiratory issues. Please google. I would not recommend them to first timers.
  • Pugs were bred like crazy by puppy mills and backyard breeders after the hutch ad took everyone by storm. Thus chances of getting an inbred, diseased or one with poor health is very high.
  • Beagles are excellent scenthounds, and can be stubborn once they pick up a scent and start following it. Due to this reason, quite a few cases happen where beagles run away following a scent. They also require good amount of exercise else have a tendency of gaining weight.
  • First timers should not start with pups in my opinion - housebreaking, nibbling, and other growing up behaviors may be too much to handle for a first timer. Ideally a housebroken adult dog who's good with the family should be adopted, preferably from a shelter.
Old 11th April 2020, 23:45   #5309
Distinguished - BHPian

This stray kitten used to visit my granys house with its mum earlier but unfortunately the mum is no longer visiting, not sure what happened to it. Now the kitten loiters around my granny's house alone and is used to getting fed. My grany as usual is feeding it regular house food and milk while I am not sure what else it eats apart from that. Since I stay close by I visit her often and started feeding the kitten Whiskas kitten food(tuna) since I wanted if to get good nutrition. However there are some limitations currently. One my grany is a pure vegetarian and I am not sure if she will be comfortable to manage the Whiskas packets on her own especially if I mention that its meat. Second, I am not currently in a position to keep the kitten full time with me in our house. Hence, I am worried that if I start feeding it on a daily basis, it might not be able to find food on its own if I dont go and feed it. Of course my grany continues feeding it milk, biscuits and bread stuff but I dont think thats the right diet. Hence, what best can be done in this scenario? I currently feed it only once a day and around 1/2 packet of whiskas along with some water, bread. It completely enjoys the food but I am not sure how regularly I can do this once I get back to work. I thought of some adoption ad but the kitten isnt so human friendly as of now. Also if someone can tell me its approximate age - Its fur coat is the best I have come across in any stray cat :
Team-BHPians and their Pets-a08e745f0c59410686c7d091bd74e1f6.jpeg
Old 12th April 2020, 01:44   #5310
BHPian

I personally favour neutering or spaying pets for a few reasons.

-Their hormones are a little more “manageable” so to speak post surgery. My dog would be in heat every other month and it would attract all the male indies nearby. It was always a challenge keeping them away!

-Their temperament is slightly better post surgery as well.

-A little strange way of thinking, but, worst case scenario, if they do get lost/dognapped (touch wood), then they will at least not be abused for breeding (mostly by illegal breeders).

Most Viewed