Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 08:33   #5011
BANNED

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
What can we possibly do to solve this problem assuming other fellow residents are not bothered?
Someone or the other will be bothered. There is no good solution to this. In one of the places I lived in someone even made a police complaint on the basis of cruelty to animals when someone tried to move a stray dog. People shouldn't be feeding stray dogs - they should be adopting them if they are so concerned - but very few people agree with this view point.

Last edited by carboy : 31st July 2019 at 08:34.
Old 31st July 2019, 08:50   #5012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
She is friendly with most other residents who feed it and pet it except my family especially our 10 year old Labrador Cleo (we don't feed it). There have been a few occasions in the last couple of months where she has growled and shown her teeth at Cleo.
Sorry to hear about this. But we have to understand that animals have territorial constraints that are natural to them. So even though this stray has no problems with people and possibly other strays/pets, he probably has some issue with your dog at a dog-to-dog territory basis. Wrt to moving him away, as @carboy pointed out, clearly someone else will be bothered as considering he's being fed well, there are one or more well-wishers for that dog.

Also moving a stray from a locality he's been to a new place could be very dangerous for him; generally they don't last very long in new areas (as a stray) unless he's being taken care off, as the local strays in that area would consider him a target.

I'd suggest you/your family making an attempt to befriend the dog by feeding and playing with him (without your dog around) and let him get his smell on your bodies. Chances are slowly your dog would get used to smelling him and visa versa; so they can acknowledge and reduce the threat factor. It's not a fool-proof solution but it could work without any drastic actions to be taken. Give it a try.
Old 31st July 2019, 09:42   #5013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to all suggestions.
Please check the details on handling and feeding stray dogs as per court ruling here: http://www.awbi.org/awbi-pdf/pet_dog..._26_2_2015.pdf

It has every detail you would need.

Few pointers that may come in handy is that if some residents are feeding the stray dogs, they are fully allowed to do so, but at a place avoiding crowded areas, and not littering in the process. Also they should come forward and get the dog vaccinated & sterilized.

Also it is strictly not allowed to relocate / shift / drive away stray dogs from their natural habitat.
Old 31st July 2019, 09:56   #5014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Someone or the other will be bothered. There is no good solution to this. In one of the places I lived in someone even made a police complaint on the basis of cruelty to animals when someone tried to move a stray dog. People shouldn't be feeding stray dogs - they should be adopting them if they are so concerned - but very few people agree with this view point.
Well moving strays is a sure shot death warrant for them. And at the risk of disagreement I'd say it is far better to feed, vaccinate and neuter/spay strays as a responsible citizen instead of seeing them malnourished and unhealthy and having them breed, only to lose pups to preventable diseases / being run over. They don't have a control on whether they were born in a breeder's kennel or in the streets.

The responsibility lies with society at large to slowly remove dangerous strays from the streets - and interactions, vaccination, and neutering are the only way forward.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:08   #5015
BHPian

Hugo, our family member. Perished after a fitting fight with a leopard. He was just 4 years.This one is a 20 year old photograph!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-38175_426140596408_7248024_n.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-316059_426140601408_6617924_n.jpg  

Old 31st July 2019, 11:18   #5016
BHPian

He is absolutely majestic. Hugo lives on in your hearts
Old 31st July 2019, 11:21   #5017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
Hugo, our family member. Perished after a fitting fight with a leopard. He was just 4 years.This one is a 20 year old photograph!
It's really difficult to loose a pet, they are family and loosing a family member is devastating.

This is my second grievance post on this thread. Lost my 15 year old Spitz last Friday.

'He came into our lives hiding in papa's jacket way back in 2004. I was 9 then so it's safe to say we grew up together and he was a brother, though to outward appearances, with a bushy tail, high temperament, but a hustler! I called him snoop dog. Rest in peace snoopy.'
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1564552256816.jpg  

Old 31st July 2019, 11:40   #5018
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
The responsibility lies with society at large to slowly remove dangerous strays from the streets - and interactions, vaccination, and neutering are the only way forward.
The number of strays is too high. There are no resources for a state sponsored program to neuter them. Neutering cannot be done by an unskilled worker but needs a trained medical professional. So overall the costs become too high in the aggregate. And even if it's possible, it's a very long term solution, what is the short term solution for the problem OP is facing?
Old 31st July 2019, 11:48   #5019
BHPian

Sorry to hear that Ashkait. Snoopy is beautiful. Hopefully you will meet him again.
Old 31st July 2019, 11:50   #5020
BHPian

@carboy I don't know for sure but arranging for a pickup to an animal shelter / NGO is the best solution in the short term. There would be some donation / cost associated as the NGOs run on donations, but this way at least the dog would be safe.
Old 31st July 2019, 12:01   #5021
BANNED

Quote:
@carboy I don't know for sure but arranging for a pickup to an animal shelter / NGO is the best solution in the short term. There would be some donation / cost associated as the NGOs run on donations, but this way at least the dog would be safe.
This is a solution for one person but this problem is far too widespread for it to be an actual solution. And I am not even sure if it would be a solution for one person - if one stray dog is picked up, 2 more will take it's place the next day.
Old 31st July 2019, 12:05   #5022
BHPian

Quote:
This is a solution for one person but this problem is far too widespread for it to be an actual solution. And I am not even sure if it would be a solution for one person - if one stray dog is picked up, 2 more will take it's place the next day.
We're going round in circles here. There is only one viable long term solution which doesn't involve culling. I've already mentioned that earlier.

You asked for a short term solution for this specific case. I have now given one and you point out it is specific. This conversation is going nowhere so I'm out after this post.

There is no one size fits all solution. We need to understand the root cause is our apathy towards animal welfare as a society. It is no wonder that developed western societies don't have strays.

Anyway for people who don't like strays and are ok with killing them perhaps brutally beating or shooting with air rifles or guns is the viable solution
Old 31st July 2019, 12:09   #5023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although, we love all dogs, one stray female is terrorising us
That's bad. Hope Cleo recovers soon.

Is that stray dog sterilized? If not, that should be the first step to bring down its aggressive behaviour.

If you do not want to feed it, you can try petting and befriending the stray instead of trying to scare/shoo it away. In a few weeks, this will solve the problem and the stray will start to mind her own business even when Cleo is near.

Also, try to park your car away from the usual spot where that stray takes shelter. Some dogs are territorial. It is possible that Cleo might be interpreted as a threat when it goes near that stray's "territory" which could be some area around your car.

I faced a similar problem when we moved to a new location a few years ago. There was an old stray dog who would growl at my pet dog (also an adopted stray) when out for a walk. When in heat, she used to become very aggressive towards unfamiliar male dogs. Got her sterilized and started feeding her on & off. It took some time but now, 2 years later, she never misses to accompany my dog for the evening walk.

Last edited by self_driven : 31st July 2019 at 12:20.
Old 31st July 2019, 12:18   #5024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The number of strays is too high. There are no resources for a state sponsored program to neuter them. Neutering cannot be done by an unskilled worker but needs a trained medical professional. So overall the costs become too high in the aggregate. And even if it's possible, it's a very long term solution, what is the short term solution for the problem OP is facing?
Quote:
The number of strays is too high - agree

There are no resources for a state sponsored program to neuter them. - Disagree. I had a stray operated at my home. Planning for more to keep the numbers of stray dogs in check. The cost was about Rs 3000 for doctor and 1 assistant (home visit fees + all consumables). It costs almost half of that if done at a clinic / NGO. State wastes truckloads of taxpayer money on a lot of causes. It should spend some towards this cause too.

Neutering cannot be done by an unskilled worker but needs a trained medical professional. So overall the costs become too high in the aggregate. - see point 2

And even if it's possible, it's a very long term solution - this is the only solution

what is the short term solution for the problem OP is facing? - elaborated in my earlier post. Separate the path and territory of the 2 dogs.

arranging for a pickup to an animal shelter / NGO is the best solution in the short term. - that's illegal.

but this way at least the dog would be safe. - that's a pipe dream. Most NGOs take the money and kill the dog. That's the harsh truth.

Last edited by blackasta : 31st July 2019 at 12:19.
Old 31st July 2019, 13:43   #5025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
I'm confused now. I've previously posted photos of my pet Hunter, and to say he's overweight would be an understatement. He's a 4.5 year old Labrador and weighs 50kgs.
Hello,

I have posted the meal schedule here sometime back which helped our dog loose around 13kgs over a period of time. You may refer to that incase you find it helpful.

Regards,
Pradeep.

Most Viewed