Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2017, 17:05   #4591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Caesar had an attraction to the alcohol in the plastic glasses thrown on the streets by drunks. Which, more than anything, was embarrassing to a family of teetotalers. Alcohol isn't good for dogs and so I made sure to tell him very sternly that it was bad behaviour and he hasn't been having that problem anymore. With your case, it might not be the garbage as such and it might even be the urine from other dogs that they find attractive! Or else, it must be the food!
I doff my hat to Caesar's refined taste buds!. An earlier family member - Darth, also a boxer - had the same craving. And after one memorable occasion (a family re-union) when he kept everyone awake for the better part of the night with his antics, we were very careful to keep him away from the bottle!
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:04   #4592
Distinguished - BHPian

In a first, desi dogs to get into Army

Thanks to TBHP-ian @Nitrous for sharing this on FB. An excellent move. The GSD's and Labs are part of Brit practice. We must promote our native breeds, which are as good as any other

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...=show&from=mdr
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:16   #4593
Team-BHP Support

Re: In a first, desi dogs to get into Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
We must promote our native breeds, which are as good as any other
My only question is, these are hot weather breed from the flat plains. Can they handle high altitude and the cold weather of J&K?
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:02   #4594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My only question is, these are hot weather breed from the flat plains. Can they handle high altitude and the cold weather of J&K?
When the army means desi breeds, it also probably means the dogs found in their natural habitat in the upper himalayas.

Have you seen the dogs there up close? They are built like yaks, are an ally of sheep herders who herd 100+ sheep at a time in the high mountains, and can probably chew both our heads off like a big mac.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:45   #4595
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of pics of our Mudhol here:
Quote:
It is a hunter. Very Strong, ferocious. Always on the alert. You should see how ! Whether when curled up or just relaxing like in the 2nd pic here above. That posture is such that it is ready to run in a split-second. They never pant /breathe through their mouth.

Quote:
The article says it is well thought out move. What gives the impression that their natural habitat has not been considered ? Where is it said that this breed is being deployed in the Himalayas ?
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:59   #4596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
When the army means desi breeds, it also probably means the dogs found in their natural habitat in the upper himalayas.
Mudhol is a Karnataka breed. Let's not compare it with Himalayan native breeds.

Quote:
The article says it is well thought out move. What gives the impression that their natural habitat has not been considered ? Where is it said that this breed is being deployed in the Himalayas ?
I thought you read the article before posting it...

This is from the article:
Quote:
Sources said that the Army's Remount and Veterinary Corps (RVC) centre in Meerut has almost completed training six dogs of the desi breed Mudhol hounds and they are likely to be inducted by the end of this year and posted in Jammu & Kashmir.
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:30   #4597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mudhol is a Karnataka breed. Let's not compare it with Himalayan native breeds.

I thought you read the article before posting it...

This is from the article:
Fools... (includes them and me).

They should recruit dogs from the local area - that would make more sense.
Old 3rd November 2017, 16:20   #4598
Distinguished - BHPian

Had created an instagram profile of my cats - keep updating in once a while. Please feel free to have a look

https://www.instagram.com/life.of.r2d2/
Old 3rd November 2017, 17:59   #4599
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll wait for post deployment updates about their deployment in J&K. Most of the reports say "operational areas like J&K", but one news agency firmly says J&K.

Even if it is J&K, I dont think it will be in winter / snow. The breed can take summers well, and the RVC cannot have missed such basic points. In snowy conditions, breeds familiar with snow should fare far better.

Last edited by condor : 3rd November 2017 at 18:00.
Old 4th November 2017, 08:24   #4600
BHPian

Aari, turned 1, yesterday 🙂.

Cheers.
Pradeep.
Old 4th November 2017, 13:30   #4601
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Had created an instagram profile of my cats - keep updating in once a while. Please feel free to have a look

https://www.instagram.com/life.of.r2d2/
Where did you buy this from - https://www.instagram.com/p/BZVGiUHA...y=life.of.r2d2 - how much did it cost?

What else do cats like to play with - is a small stuffed toy something they would like to play with?

My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat - i.e. he spends at least 8 hours out everyday. So I don't need to have too many toys for him to play with in the house. Just a cardboard box or a string or a feather is usually good enough. But he seems have got bored with feathers & has stopped playing with feathers. I was wondering what I should get him.

My cat (1 year old) is almost identical to you cat in the tunnel.
Old 4th November 2017, 15:56   #4602
Distinguished - BHPian

Some cats do get less playful as they get older. About the most expensive thing I ever "bought" for my cats is string. I make a monkey's fist in one end, but some of them prefer the other anyway.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-maxresdefault.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Aari, turned 1, yesterday 🙂.
That's lovely!
Old 4th November 2017, 16:09   #4603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Where did you buy this from - https://www.instagram.com/p/BZVGiUHA...y=life.of.r2d2 - how much did it cost?
I ordered my stuff either from Shakehands or Amazon. The former site is a Mumbai based setup which has a pretty decent catalog.

Quote:
What else do cats like to play with - is a small stuffed toy something they would like to play with?

My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat - i.e. he spends at least 8 hours out everyday. So I don't need to have too many toys for him to play with in the house. Just a cardboard box or a string or a feather is usually good enough. But he seems have got bored with feathers & has stopped playing with feathers. I was wondering what I should get him.

My cat (1 year old) is almost identical to you cat in the tunnel.
Every cat has its preferences although cardboard boxes are a hit for all of them. Get a laser - nothing like that to get them running around.

As kittens, R2 and D2 loved anything that is hanging and be pulled, chewed or just played around with - curtain threads, toilet rolls, mobile / laptop cables, etc. I later got them a tree-house which they loved to run up and down; although later it just became a resting place.

If you have only one cat, get another one. That's the best 'toy' for him. They go better in pairs. Your cat probably has 'friends' outside but nothing like a partner within the house. I'll suggest you to think on that line of thought if it is feasible.
Old 4th November 2017, 17:32   #4604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
... ... ... If you have only one cat, get another one. That's the best 'toy' for him. They go better in pairs. Your cat probably has 'friends' outside but nothing like a partner within the house. I'll suggest you to think on that line of thought if it is feasible.
But... it is impossible to predict whether they will be best of friends or detest each other for life!
Old 8th November 2017, 01:16   #4605
BANNED

Is flea infestation probable with Pets in India. I have an indoor/outdoor cat who spends the day out but is home in the night. Should I be worried about a possible flea infestation in the home?
The cat has been with me for a year now, I haven't noticed anything till now - I don't even know what a flea looks like.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks