Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2017, 12:25   #4381
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Cleo is going to turn 8 in August! Still very active, went on a road trip to Jaipur recently too and ran around like an energetic puppy.

Two things on which I wanted views on :-

1) I have heard from some people that when your dog is 7-8 years old it's a good time get kidney/ renal checkup done as a precaution. Is it required and how does one go about it? ( She neutered at 1.5 years if it matters)

2) Her paws get pretty dry and slightly cracked very frequently, I'm having to put Vaseline/ Boroline on them at least once in three weeks. This never happened till she was 7 years old.
1) Large dogs are prone to kidney problems and like humans with age the chances of kidney problems increase. In case the dog has had only home made food and not taken substances that are harmful for dogs (), then there should be no problems.
http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-...ey-toxins-dogs
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...idney-failure/
https://www.medicanimal.com/The-trut...se/a/ART111532

2) Labrador skin secretes oil, so they are insulated from cold waters where they were initially used to bring in fish nets. To produce oilm they do require fat or oil in their diet. In your case if you are a non vegetarian, feed her animal fat, around 200g/week either raw or mixed in food. If vegetarian, mix coconut/groundnut/mustard oil in the food. With this the oil secretion from the skin will increase an paws would not crack.
Old 30th April 2017, 13:11   #4382
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1) . In case the dog has had only home made food and not taken substances that are harmful for dogs (), then there should be no problems.

2) Labrador skin secretes oil, so they are insulated from cold waters where they were initially used to bring in fish nets..
She has been eating a very similar version of a home cooked meal as explained by you here
Quote:
For those who have queries about home cooked food for Dogs, I have taken a step-by-step pictures of the food we prepare for our Lab.
For breakfast. And in the evening, for dinner she eats Pedigree. Diet has been same for the past 7 years. Oil does go into the home cooked meal so I'm still confused about the paw issue as it never occurred until recently.

Very strict about her diet, hasn't eaten anything not meant for dogs. So would you still recommend a kidney test based on the daily Pedigree dinner?
Old 30th April 2017, 13:34   #4383
Distinguished - BHPian

My cat is an orphan cat, found and adopted by our previous cat which since died.

Now this cat has got a small companion, who follows him everywhere. It is another male, so don't know if they will still be friends when it grows up, but, if it is around, I think they will be.

It currently has the probably-temporary name of Small

As yet, it is not officially adopted to our household. It has not been in the house. We do not give it its own food --- but our maid says that, when she feeds him outside, our cat shares his food with it.

My wife asked, why don't I feed it. I said... that's like marriage. Once you feed a cat, it's your cat!

Anyway, it doesn't look short of food, and may well have another home somewhere else.

No pics yet. It is not very scared, but a bit shy. Will take when I can.

I didn't want one cat...
Old 30th April 2017, 17:49   #4384
BHPian

Quote:
2) Labrador skin secretes oil, so they are insulated from cold waters where they were initially used to bring in fish nets. To produce oilm they do require fat or oil in their diet. In your case if you are a non vegetarian, feed her animal fat, around 200g/week either raw or mixed in food. If vegetarian, mix coconut/groundnut/mustard oil in the food. With this the oil secretion from the skin will increase an paws would not crack.
Now, this is something that my pet has been having from the day we adopted her. We tried paw butter but she licks them off immediately. she is fed raw coconut oil and she licks that up as well. Eggs are a daily things and chicken occasional. But, the condition of her paws hasn't improved. My friend's lab stays in similar conditions but his paws are soft and smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Now this cat has got a small companion, who follows him everywhere. It is another male, so don't know if they will still be friends when it grows up, but, if it is around, I think they will be.
I think they will be fine even after the young one grows up as he will be used to the elder cat by then.

Quote:
Anyway, it doesn't look short of food, and may well have another home somewhere else.
Cats are usually smart when it comes to food, even if they grow inside a house, unlike dogs, who have to be fed.
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:16   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
He is such a darling. I just LOVE Dogs! Cant live without them.
Sadly, my two elderly ones are ageing frighteningly fast.
I know what you mean! Caesar's face is going white day by day, and as a dog who didn't enjoy the best health as a puppy, I am dreading all the things he will have to face when he gets older! But just enjoying every second of his presence in my life, right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRebel View Post
I just got back from 1300 kms trip to Ooty with my lab. Places other than ooty are really hot and your destination is already hitting some high temperatures. I would suggest the following to ensure that your pet is comfortable:
Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip with your pet and PM me if you need anything specific.
Thanks for your valuable pointers, but unfortunately I turned chicken the day before the trip and decided to leave him with a relative, and was glad about the decision as it was seriously hot over there!
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:53   #4386
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone in recent times carried a pet (cat) from US to India? I have two that I would have to transport from NY to India later this year.

Any guidance/personal experiences (or from your circle) on this is most appreciated; I'll be researching the same online.
Old 3rd May 2017, 18:39   #4387
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Cleo is going to turn 8 in August!
Hello There,

I loved that sticker on your car, where did you get it from .

Cheers,
Pradeep.
Old 3rd May 2017, 18:44   #4388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Has anyone in recent times carried a pet (cat) from US to India? I have two that I would have to transport from NY to India later this year.

Any guidance/personal experiences (or from your circle) on this is most appreciated; I'll be researching the same online.
You might find something useful in the IndiaMike pet section
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:30   #4389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You might find something useful in the IndiaMike pet section
Thank you! This will be useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Hello There,

I loved that sticker on your car, where did you get it from .

Cheers,
Pradeep.
I'm guessing Hyundai service center?
Old 11th May 2017, 14:35   #4390
BHPian

Hello all!

I would like introduce Chloe! I found this little girl on the way to my office, running on a very busy road, darting among cars with a huge dog bite. I picked her up and after nearly three weeks in hospital, she is completely alright. I am looking for someone in Chennai to adopt this lovely girl and give her a home. She appears to be a Labrador/Mongrel cross.

Her Rabies vaccines are done, and just Parvo/Distemper vaccines remain. I will have that done in my own expense as well, and when the time is right, she will be spayed, and I will bear the expenses.

Please DM me if you are interested in adopting this bundle of joy!

P.S. She is toilet trained, i.e., if you put out a sheet of newspaper, she will only do her business on it. She doesn't wail at night like most puppies do, but she does bark for attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-18301112_1710652845616632_4096455548231158367_n.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-18341758_1710653085616608_1589450290166327158_n.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-18342346_1710652888949961_214222512087960676_n.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-18423751_1710652925616624_6561452557343165620_n.jpg  

Old 11th May 2017, 15:25   #4391
BHPian

Here is my tom cat Kitkat with his new friend for the day!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-kitkatsfrnd.jpg  

Old 11th May 2017, 15:39   #4392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Whoa!

Is that a pet squirrel? Or a very bold squirrel? Or a dead squirrel?
Old 11th May 2017, 15:42   #4393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Whoa!

A pet with his pet?
Then your cat is extremely mild mannered - the ones we got in our home would have used their claws and teeth and made a mess of things !
Old 11th May 2017, 15:45   #4394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Whoa!

It's not a pet, he played with him the entire day & the little fellow was still alive in the end.
In the evening I got Kitkat inside(much to his disappointment!)
Squirrel wasn't there when I checked later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
A pet with his pet?
Then your cat is extremely mild mannered - the ones we got in our home would have used their claws and teeth and made a mess of things !
@Blackasta it could have been my pet's pet if they continued their friendship.

Last edited by raihan : 11th May 2017 at 15:49.
Old 11th May 2017, 18:48   #4395
BHPian

One urgent query but I am not sure if this is the appropriate thread. We have a bad stray dog menace in society. It is gated layout in Bangalore not fully fenced on boundaries. Who can help? Any govt agencies?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks