Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2016, 19:41   #4126
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Mine is 12 years old now and from last 4 months now has this constant dry hackling cough with occasional colorless sputum. Have given a course of antibiotics and the cough has stayed put. The vet has ruled out any infection and says it's just throat congestion which I do not understand. He refuses to take any form of cough syrups. I need a second opinion as the cough is making him miserable. His otherwise activity level and appetite had remain unchanged.
My Labrador too had issues like this. Do you have a feeling that he is trying to clear the throat? Mostly the trouble may be with the stomach. May be a case of Gastric Reflux, where in the gastric juices reaches his throat and causes a burning sensation. A course of antacid helped. Also please rule out cardiac anomalies as Labradors have a high incidence. Please let us know.
Old 15th April 2016, 21:44   #4127
Senior - BHPian

My 9 year old Cassie on my lap. And my dear 11 year old Daisy peering up. She's a bit large to sit on my lap though.
Lovely kind hearted good natured pets.
God has been kind to give me their companionship.
No one quite like a doggy woggy as a friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_4176.jpg  

Old 15th April 2016, 23:11   #4128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
RIP wbc, he is beautiful. He will be waiting on the rainbow bridge Thad
Fighting the other cats probably!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Don't know what to say, have been through this stage multiple times in my life.
Guess there is some comfort in the fact that there is another one in the house to demand your love n care.
I would be perfectly happy to be catless, but cats don't seem to see that as an option, so yes!

Nature, once again, was kind to me. If I had had to have WBC put down, I would be full of grief and guilt, however much I knew it would be the right thing to do. I knew that he could not survive, but never expected that he would pass away that very night. He did, and I am comfortable with that: feeling more peaceful about him since his injury over two weeks ago.

But that doesn't mean that I don't miss him.
Old 16th April 2016, 10:23   #4129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Any one can recommend a good vet in Delhi for a Labrador? Mine is 12 years old now and from last 4 months now has this constant dry hackling cough with occasional colorless sputum. Have given a course of antibiotics and the cough has stayed put. The vet has ruled out any infection and says it's just throat congestion which I do not understand. He refuses to take any form of cough syrups. I need a second opinion as the cough is making him miserable. His otherwise activity level and appetite had remain unchanged.
We go to Dr. Rana in Niti Bag.

Dr Pradeep Rana
Where | Shop No 5, DDA Market, Neeti Bagh, New Delhi; Contact | 9811037401
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:26   #4130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
R I P WBC WBC died in the night. It is sad, but it is a great relief. I can live with death, but I was so unhappy and heavy hearted in the night knowing that I must go there with the instruction to take his life away. He has passed of his own accord and will be buried in his garden within the next hour. The grave is dug and ready.
Hello Thad, I was out of station and off the net for the past few days and have just touched base. I agree that it is always a great relief when someone close, like WBC, is finally relieved of so much pain. He had put up a great fight, but as always, the Great Referee had the final word. And as you said, I too feel he must be a pain in the rear to all the other blokes up there! I am very happy that he is being buried in the garden. Darth & Daisy too are right here in our backyard (it cannot really be called a garden!) & I am certain I'll meet them when I cross the divide!
And good luck with Ginger too!
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:46   #4131
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you shashanka.

Poor WBC. There was such a difference from his avidly devouring food to completely refusing even the fresh-cooked tuna a couple of days later.

Fierce old cat... he was actually quite sweet towards the end. At least, with me... with the vet, not so much.
Old 22nd April 2016, 17:54   #4132
BHPian

Quote:
R I P WBC

WBC died in the night.

It is sad, but it is a great relief. I can live with death, but I was so unhappy and heavy hearted in the night knowing that I must go there with the instruction to take his life away.
I am sorry for your loss. I can feel the pain as I lost my kitten a month ago. He didn't return after a night. I still wait for him with the hope that one day he might come home.
Old 22nd April 2016, 22:45   #4133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I am sorry for your loss. I can feel the pain as I lost my kitten a month ago. He didn't return after a night. I still wait for him with the hope that one day he might come home.
Somehow it is even sadder when you loose them so young.
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:45   #4134
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow it is even sadder when you loose them so young.
Yes. My earlier Blackie lived to his ripe old age - 11 years. He became a sourpuss in his old days (in this picture here) probably due to cancer.

My childhood companion - another cat, lived for 14 years. My German Shepherd dogs lived up to 14,11 and 7 (yes 3 of them). Earlier I was lucky enough to cherish all my animals to their full lives.

I seem to have lost that luck these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-cat2.jpg  

Old 24th April 2016, 08:46   #4135
BHPian

My 2 year old Kanna. It's my first time owning a pet and I love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1507335_10200368851544074_533315659_o-1.jpg  

Old 24th April 2016, 09:30   #4136
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
Kanna is so adorable, he is able to give an expression too! Stay healthy my friend.
Old 24th April 2016, 12:56   #4137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. My earlier Blackie lived to his ripe old age - 11 years. He became a sourpuss in his old days (in this picture here) probably due to cancer.

My childhood companion - another cat, lived for 14 years.
Your Blackie looks a biy like my WBC, only more B and less W.

I think that double figures is a ripe old age for an Indian cat, but in UK 20-plus is not that unusual, and cats can even reach 30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
Looks like a good friend
Old 24th April 2016, 15:09   #4138
BHPian

Quote:
Your Blackie looks a biy like my WBC, only more B and less W.

I think that double figures is a ripe old age for an Indian cat, but in UK 20-plus is not that unusual, and cats can even reach 30!
Really ? 30 years. Must be the combination of temperate climate and the breed. In India most stray cats hardly reach double digits (from anecdotal evidence and there is no serious study on their longevity) though 'domesticated' cats live longer - but not to the extent of UK.

Sadly cats and GSDs hardly last more than a decade. Every time we lose one, it leaves a vacuum. I will make a confession here - last time it happened, I had to take antidepressants for some time.
Old 24th April 2016, 16:27   #4139
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know the answer, except that life is harder for many creatures in India, including a lot of the humans!
Old 24th April 2016, 18:19   #4140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really ? 30 years. Must be the combination of temperate climate and the breed. In India most stray cats hardly reach double digits (from anecdotal evidence and there is no serious study on their longevity) though 'domesticated' cats live longer - but not to the extent of UK.

Sadly cats and GSDs hardly last more than a decade. Every time we lose one, it leaves a vacuum. I will make a confession here - last time it happened, I had to take antidepressants for some time.
In this climate of India, these large furry breeds typically don't manage more than a decade.
Bangalore used to be heaven for dogs. Sadly, no longer, with the weather changes and the attitudinal changes of the more narrow minded parochial sorts of chaps that abound these days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks