Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2008, 05:30   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

@Spawn: I would suggest a German Shepard. We have one and it really does scare people with its barking but at other times he is really very friendly and possessive.
He is even ferocious if need be but if you introduce him to the right people with care, he wouldn't do anything to them. Outsiders however is a completely different story.
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:11   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@Spawn: I would suggest a German Shepard. We have one and it really does scare people with its barking but at other times he is really very friendly and possessive.
He is even ferocious if need be but if you introduce him to the right people with care, he wouldn't do anything to them. Outsiders however is a completely different story.
Possessiveness is quite a bad thing sometimes.I have experienced that myself.I was once playing with my neighbors pit bull and the moment I addressed the owner that dog just snapped at me.That dog really scared me to death.
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:19   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Thanks for your reply Vinay. I am feeding her Eukanuba Toy breed puppy food with ragi, rice, wheat malt and 4 full spoons of Cerelac 4 times a day. Egg is also added for 2 meals. I am giving her toy breed puppy dry food as she is too young (47 days old) and was advised so by the vet. Once she is 2 or 2 and a half months old i am planning to give her minced beef with ragi, rice, wheat mixed malt for one meal. And Egg with rice and bread for other 2 meals.

Are you giving any calcium, vitamin supplements? From what age can i start giving these to the puppies? I dont want her to put on too much of weight when she is young as it will effect her bone structure as these huge breeds are prone to hip dysplasia.

Also do you know any good dog trainer in Bangalore. I want her to start getting trained once she is 4 or 5 months old.

I would not suggest you to give beef at anytime to your dog, it will make dog lazy.

You should be feeding some calcium, vitamin drops by now. What type of training are you planning for your puppy?

The normal behavior training can be give by you or any one in your family as you people will be around it and you can keep a watch on it and make it understand what is wrong and right immediately.

If you want to train it for walking in the show and how to behave in show, then I will PM you the details. I have got trained my dog for show, the way they should walk in the ring and some basic show discipline.

Keep a watch on the back leg of the St, some times it will bend due to the lack of calcium and vitamin.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:54   #379
Senior - BHPian

Jayabusa, I've sent you a PM. Please revert. Would like to see some photos of your lil Lovely Dog.
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:56   #380
BHPian

Thanks Vinay. I want her to be trained for shows and walking etc. It would be great if you can PM the details of the trainer to me. Starting this week i am giving her Calcium and Vitamin tablets.

Last edited by Torque123 : 22nd October 2008 at 20:57.
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:46   #381
BHPian

Thanks guys for the input, I was googling a few places to find breeders in India and I found a few. Seems like most of them are in the south. Any suggestions or recommendations for a breeder? Ideally close to Bombay or Gujarat, but if I have to travel for the right person I will. Thanks.
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:02   #382
Senior - BHPian

Well i got 2 pets cum guard dogs. Both are not pure breeds. This is austin which had a boxer dad and a dalmation mother. He is my favorite bundle of joy
Team-BHPians and their Pets-austin2.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-austin69.jpg
Old 23rd October 2008, 23:36   #383
BHPian

My son and our bullmastiff

Our bullmastiff - Triksy when she was 6 months old
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00291.jpg  

Old 4th November 2008, 22:55   #384
BHPian

Hey guys. Can anyone tell me where can i get Eukanuba dog feed in and around Malleshwaram, Rajajinagar, Sheshadripuram, R T Nagar? I have a tough time sourcing it.
Old 5th November 2008, 00:07   #385
BHPian

Goto Glenand's on . 48, CHURCH STREET, KSFC BUILDING he is the Eukanuba dealer for karnataka, you can get good discount too. There is one guy in rajajinagar, but he will charge you normal price.
Old 5th November 2008, 00:18   #386
BHPian

Thanks Vinay. Also i have one more question for you. Is it better to feed Eukanuba medium breed puppy feed or Giant breed puppy feed for a Saint Bernard puppy? She is 9 weeks old.
Old 24th November 2008, 11:12   #387
BANNED

After dillydallying for 10 years, we finally got a purebred lab pup. He is awesome..... very active, and a lot of fun. Here's a pic to share.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3419.jpg
Old 13th January 2009, 22:46   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, need inputs on Doberman's..

* Maintenance
* Food & health
* Ease of training
* Requirements - what do they need ?
* Anything to watch out for when getting one home, after getting one home ?
* Dog or bitch ? (I know that the selection is going to be an emotional decision, not a logical one)

It's just parents (60/67) & me. Space is not a problem in the house. The vet says there are a couple of pups, so need to decide fast.

--------------------------------------------
Once a Pet(rol)head, always a Pet(rol)head ..

Last edited by condor : 13th January 2009 at 23:01.
Old 13th January 2009, 23:30   #389
Senior - BHPian

Prasad, thats one adorable pup! What have you named him?
(I've send this thread to my wife..she absolutely loves white labs!).
Old 14th January 2009, 09:36   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, need inputs on Doberman's..

* Maintenance
* Food & health
* Ease of training
* Requirements - what do they need ?
* Anything to watch out for when getting one home, after getting one home ?
* Dog or bitch ? (I know that the selection is going to be an emotional decision, not a logical one)

It's just parents (60/67) & me. Space is not a problem in the house. The vet says there are a couple of pups, so need to decide fast.

--------------------------------------------
Once a Pet(rol)head, always a Pet(rol)head ..
Get it. We have a male. 45kg it was once. Need lot of exercise when it grows up atleast. We also give Pedigree now and then. Injections for rabbies should be taken every 6 month so. Think we use 'Pentadog'. You also get injection for ticks etc. We deworm him once in a while. Watch out for cuts if he roams around, under his paws. Easy to inject as he doesnt feel it

Would love to play for sometime daily. A walk with him him will make him very happy. May love to bit/chew on big stuff (coconut/brick if he cant find a coconut ).

It bark is very bassy! Dont tell I warned about this. Can be very loud.

Will chase anything when left to roam on his own. Had instances of him killing mongoose, owl, cat, rat and attacking small stray dogs.

Last edited by jkdas : 14th January 2009 at 09:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks