Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 20:46   #3841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Thanks glenmz for inputs on aquarium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys and vets, need some urgent info

It then started rolling over the floor and I felt it was suffering from some irritation or itching. It scratched its body wherever it could and also started groaning a bit. Later I took a soft plastic brush and scrubbed its body a bit which it welcomed and stopped groaning. Later as I left the place it repeated the same and I dont know what is to be done. Is this okay with cats? I thought it had some insects up the fur but it was clean.

I could take it to a vet but I am pretty sure it will freak out if I try to put it into the car. Any pointers about what can be done in this situation? Or is this just an invitation to a male cat?
I guess its the the usual "nakhra" that cat does. Currently at native I have around 6 stray ctas/kittens visiting home for free food (And probably on a conservative calculation, we had almost 40-50 cats having stays at our locality for last 4 years. Some stay for several months and some for few days and disappear). When ever they are hungry they come have food and again disappear. Most of them run when we go near but couple of brave ones stay back and do this nakhra. Initially I was confused what it is looking for later once we started pampering, it has become habit for it now. Starts rolling over floor once it sees us and expect us to scratch its back or show some affection
Old 19th November 2014, 21:28   #3842
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the experience. Guess its normal and she's just demanding some attention like girls as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post

What was the setup cost? I want to have some regular fish with less maintenance with some elegant lighting and nice setup inside aquarium, any suggestions?
When you purchase the tank, dont skimp on size and glass since you will always want to upgrade to a bigger tank. Hence, even if you are starting, do get a tank of decent size and avoid the small tanks kept on display at shops as a package. I would suggest at least 2ft*1ft*1.5ft or something of that volume. Here is my tank with an earlier setup. Had Cichlids in them with some tetras.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03789.jpg

The size is 2.5ft*1ft*1.5ft. Now in the process of upgrading the tank to a bigger one to fit my oscars once they breach the 1ft length(currently at 9 inches). Once I shift the oscars to the bigger tank, this tank will be setup as a planted tank. Also, its not always difficult to maintain a bigger tank compared to a smaller one. Hence, dont be afraid to go in for a bigger tank. You could always add equipment and fish later.
Old 27th November 2014, 10:55   #3843
BHPian

Finally got my aquarium build. Its 3x1.5x1.5 ft. Its just a bare aquarium as of now and i am in the plans of adding things to it. As of now it houses my 2 Oscars and an air pump with a layer of stones and a big rock. I am getting my Eheim pickup 160 filter next week. Planning to get a heater too. Other plans are, adding some plants, decorative items and stones. To finish off, a cover and led lighting.

Please let me know if i am right on track for these,

1. Eheim pickup 160 is ok
2. Any brand or watts for heater i need to procure
3. Artificial or live plants

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th November 2014, 11:43   #3844
BHPian

short Stays for Cats in Bangalore

Urgent help needed !!

I need to be away for a week or so. Is there any recommended boarding place for 2 kittens in Bangalore ?
Old 27th November 2014, 11:51   #3845
BHPian

Here is my cute cat Joy! She is 6 years old and a female. She is overweight but luckily doesn't have any diseases or illness. A very active cat and it is a joy to have her at our home.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-533300_377123182402071_175478895_n.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-537014_609896665690975_1153924692_n.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1013084_682542151759759_559399314_n.jpg
Old 30th November 2014, 08:52   #3846
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

People, can someone recommend a good vet and boarding services in Noida area ?
Old 3rd December 2014, 21:20   #3847
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone here grown Java moss in their tank or outdoors? I happened to order a small patch of it on Ebay without an idea of how it will arrive from Malaysia to my Doorstep successfully Suppose this thing comes, dead or alive, I have two options at my disposal. First is to directly put it into the tank and wish it would spread, and second is to leave it outdoors in a huge Pot with some fish in it. I have this pot as shown:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-169728_500037508395_259067_o.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-149188_464977268395_169404_n.jpg

My question is will average sunlight be okay and not harmful for it? I havent come across any site talking about indian conditions. The place where this pot is has been an excellent place for any plant I put. They have grown tremendously. Hence thinking of this option.
Old 27th December 2014, 18:41   #3848
Senior - BHPian

BHPians in Bangalore - can you help? these puppies need foster homes for 2months: https://www.facebook.com/strays.in/p...966550?fref=nf.

please help if you can and also spread the word.
Old 28th December 2014, 21:06   #3849
Distinguished - BHPian

I had ordered some Christmas moss from Malay and since they arrived in good condition and pretty quickly, it tempted my to revamp my entire aquarium

Had grown a bunch of eel-grass outside in a pond and as I lifted it out, I realised that they had grown to monstrous proportions:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-wp_20141228_20_54_51_pro.jpg

Now waiting for neon tetras and some more other random fish to arrive. The moss needs to bloom to get a bright green colour and christmas tree shaped branches.
Old 30th December 2014, 12:02   #3850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now waiting for neon tetras and some more other random fish to arrive. The moss needs to bloom to get a bright green colour and christmas tree shaped branches.
Good looking tank. In my opinion, taking out the internal filter and keeping an overhead filter or an external canister filter would be better in terms of visual appeal
Old 30th December 2014, 13:19   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
People, can someone recommend a good vet and boarding services in Noida area ?
try Dr. Rappai in Sector 37. Take the road from BP to Ganga Shopping Complex and keep on going straight. The market on the left in sector 37 has his clinic. He is expensive but good. You can check with him on boarding services as well.

rohan
Old 30th December 2014, 13:46   #3852
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
try Dr. Rappai in Sector 37. Take the road from BP to Ganga Shopping Complex and keep on going straight. The market on the left in sector 37 has his clinic. He is expensive but good. You can check with him on boarding services as well.

rohan
Ya Rohan, I already consulted him. He is very expensive. Charged me 1000 Rs per visit for a very basic dressing with no concrete results.
Old 1st January 2015, 19:28   #3853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Good looking tank. In my opinion, taking out the internal filter and keeping an overhead filter or an external canister filter would be better in terms of visual appeal
Yes that would be nice, but I just got this filter a month back and that time I had no plans of setting up this one Hence stuck with this for now. Hence I will bear the filter sitting at the corner for now. As of now I am thinking of routing the filter outlet to above the tank and create a top discharge. Searching for that accessory as I dont know where I put it some time back.

In the pipeline is an external filter, some more wood or rocks and plants as appropriate.
Old 1st January 2015, 19:53   #3854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had ordered some Christmas moss from Malay and since they arrived in good condition and pretty quickly, it tempted my to revamp my entire aquarium
Nice tank there what's the strip you have on the right top corner of your tank with temperature markings ? Is it a thermometer ? Curious to know how it works.
Old 1st January 2015, 20:10   #3855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Nice tank there what's the strip you have on the right top corner of your tank with temperature markings ? Is it a thermometer ? Curious to know how it works.
Hey thanks. This strip is indeed a thermometer. I got it from EBay. It is a liquid crystal strip in which there are temperature sensitive crystals that emit a colour when the corresponding temperature is reached. Not sure how accurate it is since it will show the temperature of the glass. Just brought it to try it out and moreover the glass thermometer would be vandalised by my oscars so had got this.

Here it is: Green indicates current temperature and blue is the next trend. There is another red indication which indicates past temperature. But here it is not seen since 25deg is maintained from a long time. It will turn red once the temperature reaches 24deg.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-aq1.jpg

This is the current status. Cant get those tetras stationary for a second also
Team-BHPians and their Pets-aq2.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 1st January 2015 at 20:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks