Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2012, 12:29   #2851
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
5) 4x2x2: Planted tank [big failure]
What happened with the planted tank? Can you give more details on it?
Old 17th July 2012, 12:32   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Well worked for a while with barbs and loaches. then i got a puppy who decided plants were meant to be on the ground rather than inside water suffice to say i never found the time and patience to set up a planted tank again. Oh yes, the tank was at ground level.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:12   #2853
Senior - BHPian

this one below is one great link i found which talks about compatibility and the site also offers online fishes if one is looking for

Welcome to JAVED fisheris
Old 19th July 2012, 10:29   #2854
BHPian

Few pics of my Lab:

First day
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1.jpg

Moody
Team-BHPians and their Pets-4.jpg

Month old
Team-BHPians and their Pets-5.jpg

Lazy beauty
Team-BHPians and their Pets-6.jpg

Grown up boy
Team-BHPians and their Pets-9.jpg

@Guhagar
Team-BHPians and their Pets-11.jpg

@Kashid beach
Team-BHPians and their Pets-10.jpg
Old 19th July 2012, 12:09   #2855
BHPian

@ rahul_sinha
Nice pictures!! The first one is sooo cute.
Old 21st July 2012, 11:02   #2856
Senior - BHPian

I have added some new marine pets like blood red parrots, asiatic (Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark), tinfoil, rainbow shark, snails. kissing gourami, a pair of gar which i have kept separate in a partition with flowerhorn.
I have also bought a silver arowana who sadly did not survived a day

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 21st July 2012 at 11:06.
Old 21st July 2012, 12:06   #2857
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is my share of the fish I have kept and have been keeping:
This was a planted tank I 'Tried' to set up. I love plants in the fishtank with lots of small fish. However, maintenance is difficult and some fish eat them up, uproot them and dirty the tank in a few days. Gave up that idea.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03790.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03772.jpg

This was a lovely green terror I had. I bought it when it was a mere two inches long with pale coloration and grew it up till six inches before I gave it.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03645.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-75146_470589668395_6437064_n.jpg

I had another one too, here it is but not clear:
Team-BHPians and their Pets-287950_10150272449323396_6468037_o.jpg

Here is my jewel cichlid:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-28278_408089433395_2227832_n.jpg

This is my three year old tiger oscar. He was the showfish of my tank. He used to respond to my actions, scare kids away if they came too close to the tank, and eat whatever that entered the tank. His diet included cockroaches, feeders, some wild fish that I had caught, and not to forget the daily feed of high-red. I had to give him as he was getting too big for my tank and I felt he needed more space.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03639.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-204442_10150132645983396_3897569_o.jpg

After giving the oscar, green terror and the jewel fish, I set up the tank as shown in the first pic, however, folks missed the fun of having an oscar in the house. So I returned these and bought four oscars. However, as usual, once they started growing up, I had to lose two of them. Kept a Tiger oscar and a copper oscar with me, of which the copper died three days ago. I was not in station and they seem to have fought badly. Quite a surprise for me a they were very friendly and I thought they would grow up together.

But an Oscar is a real terror. Please do not keep other fish with them as they will rip them off if required. I have been able to keep suckerfish, rainbow shark by providing adequate hiding spaces.

Apart from this, I have two outdoor setups, made out of large flowerpots having loads of mollies, carps and platys in them. Lately havent given much attention to it and will plant a lotus in it soon. Here is a picture of it:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-169728_500037508395_259067_o.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 21st July 2012 at 12:15.
Old 21st July 2012, 19:23   #2858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I have added some new marine pets like blood red parrots, asiatic (Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark), tinfoil, rainbow shark, snails. kissing gourami, a pair of gar which i have kept separate in a partition with flowerhorn.
I have also bought a silver arowana who sadly did not survived a day
dude seriously what is wrong with you? please do not add more fishes. What on earth made you buy an arowana? It grows to more than 3ft. Buy fishes what you can keep for a lifetime and not just as a timepass. Asiatic loaches are very sensitive not to mention expensive. But they do not belong in a cichlid tank.

A gar?! why oh why? Avoid partitioned tanks. fishes need space too. Imagine if in your room suddenly it is all partitioned and you get a bare minimum space how would you feel?

The gar grows to 2ft and is very aggressive. If you have bough the alligator gar then it grows to more than 5ft.

Fishes like that need lots of room to move. At least minimum of their maximum size should be the tank width and thrice that the tank length.

I know its tempting to try it out even when others tell you not to. But please do not. Read up more and more listen to other hobbyists and then go for it.

Please spare your fishes from a lot of unwanted trouble.

@audioholic: nice fishes dude. Green terrors are awesome fishes to have. But it is getting very tough to find A grade specimens these days. Oscars in my opinion are big bullies. Throw in a red devil or a flowerhorn and see the Oscar running for cover I would love to have owned a Wolf Cichlid or a Red Terror but never could find them here. Right now deciding whether to trade in my 10" Red Texas for a 6" Indonesian Datnoid

Last edited by deathwalkr : 21st July 2012 at 19:26.
Old 21st July 2012, 20:39   #2859
Distinguished - BHPian

@Deathwalkr, thanks, and also agree with your advise. Ruchir seems to have crowded the tank. Oscars, parrots, arowanas and similar fish grow huge within a year or so and they will start fighting for space. Personally, I have observed that my oscar wants a free tank to move around. It does not even tolerate plants, rock formations etc. Someone asked my on what basis I set the tank, and I replied, leave a pile of what all you want in the tank, and the oscar will set it up in a day or two.

The problem with the oscars is their size. When I buy one, it will be around one or two inch long. Within a year, it would have gone up to 6-8inches or even more. And the size makes them attack whatever they find, even smaller oscars. One of my oscars was smaller than the other, and it was ripped to its bones when I had been out of station for two days.

The green terror was the most beautiful fish I had, and yes, I am not finding a good pair to buy. Probably I have to buy a small one and feed it with color enhancing food. My green terror initially did not have the bright colouration nor the orange band. Only after around six months it developed the color. By the time I sold it, it was also developing a bulged head. Currently in my tank of 3*1.5*2 ft, I have an oscar, two huge suckerfish and a rainbow shark.

Does anyone know what breed is the fish found in ponds and lakes(not guppies). They are similar to the green terror, but they breed ultra fast, and have a similar body shape and coloration. I had put around 30 in my private pond and now after two months, I can see babies everywhere. If its a worthy breed then I can make good cash out of it Three of the adults look EXACTLY like green terrors I have posted above. They were found in a quarry-turned lake next to my apartment. I had got around fifty of them in small size, and had fed 20 to my oscars, the remaining were taken to my native and released into the pond. Now they have grown upto six inches and have bred.

Last edited by audioholic : 21st July 2012 at 20:56.
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:58   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
dude seriously what is wrong with you? please do not add more fishes. What on earth made you buy an arowana? It grows to more than 3ft. Buy fishes what you can keep for a lifetime and not just as a timepass. Asiatic loaches are very sensitive not to mention expensive. But they do not belong in a cichlid tank.
I know this my friend, these all are not in the same tank, i have two different aquariums to take care of all fishes. my flowerhorn is short body one and will not grow big enough and secondly gar are very small size one and once they grow big, i will set a big aquarium for them or donate it to a gar lover

The other aquarium is quite pleasant and calm with all fishes in harmony

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 23rd July 2012 at 09:03.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:05   #2861
Senior - BHPian

My friend's family is looking for a golden retriever puppy (40-45 days old atleast). Where in south Bangalore they can find one? They did some online searches but not able to find a good breeder.
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:50   #2862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My friend's family is looking for a golden retriever puppy (40-45 days old atleast). Where in south Bangalore they can find one? They did some online searches but not able to find a good breeder.
Refer to this site. They are all good registered breeders here with guaranteed quality.

Golden Retriever

There are no reputed breeders in South Bangalore. There are some in north Bangalore, and 1 chap in Mangalore is by far, one of the best in India from what I have seen of him in the dog show arena. Don't bother about the breeder location, since you will not be making too many visits to their place, maybe max 2-3 times to see the pup, collect the pup and the papers. Many outstation breeders will even send the pup to your home with a person if you cannot go there.

Last edited by KarthikK : 3rd August 2012 at 09:56.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:42   #2863
Senior - BHPian

Added a pair of black ghost knife, they are kind of shy fishes who tends to hide themselves behind plants, rocks and toys and comes out often in dark but they look really good
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:09   #2864
Senior - BHPian

into which tank? hopefully not into your cichlid tank as they would harass the heck out of those poor ghosties.

ghosts are beautiful fishes to watch but are nocturnal and love to snack on little fishes. if properly taken care of they can grow quite big hope you are prepared for that. but why am i not confident of that?

ah well enjoy
Old 4th August 2012, 10:41   #2865
Senior - BHPian

it is into my new one only but its no more a specific cichilid tank, it houses only 2 pair of 3" parrot and a 4" firemouth wherein BGK are around 5"

lets see if they grow up that big, I do have Plan B

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks