Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 19:21   #2836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
I have a 5 month old persian male kitten. He is not neutered yet. I just got another 3 months old female kitten home. They don't get along. Male kitten attacks her at every chance. Although sometimes he even licks her. I know all about introducing them slowly but my bigger worry is if he gets her pregnant. Should I keep them separate until male is neutered to prevent any chance of he getting her pregnant?

Also any recommended place to get him neutered in Bangalore?
Check with the vet first. Suggest you wait a bit before subjecting the poor little chap to neutering. He is a bit young yet. I think he needs to be at least 9 months old before you should neuter him.
Neutering can be done at Dr Pampapathi's clinic in JP Nagar. It will be expensive but the animals get treated like humans. First class equipment and care.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th July 2012 at 19:22.
Old 14th July 2012, 10:15   #2837
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

My small flowerhorn has started showing signs of her traits and I have lost a pair of oscar, green terror, severum and sucker fish
now i have kept them in a different tank and my modular one is left only with pair of parrot, firemouth, gourami and shark,
Please suggest what kind of a fishes i can keep in my aquarium, how about putting a 8" silver arowana?
Old 14th July 2012, 11:47   #2838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt
My small flowerhorn has started showing signs of her traits and I have lost a pair of oscar, green terror, severum and sucker fish
now i have kept them in a different tank and my modular one is left only with pair of parrot, firemouth, gourami and shark,
Please suggest what kind of a fishes i can keep in my aquarium, how about putting a 8" silver arowana?
Arowana s grow very fast and need a 5 footer atleast. Silver s are the fastest growing aros and I wouldn't keep them in a tank less than 6 feet in length. The general rule in arowana keeping is the tank should be 3 times the length of the fish.

Like your fh, arowana will be territorial so its safe to have only a sucker fish in the same tank,though some aros may accept other fishes like parrots,green terror etc
Old 14th July 2012, 13:03   #2839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Arowana s grow very fast and need a 5 footer atleast. Silver s are the fastest growing aros and I wouldn't keep them in a tank less than 6 feet in length. The general rule in arowana keeping is the tank should be 3 times the length of the fish.

Like your fh, arowana will be territorial so its safe to have only a sucker fish in the same tank,though some aros may accept other fishes like parrots,green terror etc
My tank size is 40X20X20 inches which is almost 5 times in length to the 8" aros, but is it good enough size in future too
Old 14th July 2012, 13:17   #2840
BHPian

We have a tank size 30''*1'*1' and lately I buy young gold fishes by dozens(ones used as food for arowana) and grow them, love them seeing them grow.

I also have three snails which have laid eggs on inside tank cover, but they have not fertilised, wonder why they are not releasing young ones.
Old 14th July 2012, 16:21   #2841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
My tank size is 40X20X20 inches which is almost 5 times in length to the 8" aros, but is it good enough size in future too
Hey i think your tank is slightly more than 3ft in length! 36"=3ft, yours is 40" so its not even a 4 footer.

An 8" silver may be good in your tank for a max of 4 months, provided you have a barebottom with no other fish in it. I'd also recommend you run a canister to maintain pristine water quality.

However, please don't buy an Arowana if you're unsure on a 6 footer. Apart from the money, it needs a lot of space and more time to maintain.
Old 14th July 2012, 16:51   #2842
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the update. then i will look for some other cichilids who works well with parrots and fire mouths.

Can anybody tried ordering fishes online or knows any store who delivers it across India at some wholesale prices.
Old 15th July 2012, 19:57   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
dont say we did not warn you!

really wish guys like you who do not bother at all to even read about the type of fishes you have and just blindly put them all in a soup and hope they co-exist spend more time in forums learning and then taking the plunge

For your tank size i would recommend this since you are keen on cichlids.

1) Just keep the one FH for life.
2) Give away the FH and keep semi-aggressive cichlids like parrots, GTs and Firemouths, Convicts which generally do not grow big. 1 each should do just fine.
3) Get into African cichlids like haps and mbunas which do not grow big and which are not very aggressive like their american cousins.

Arrowana??!! Please stay far far away from them. Start thinking about them when you have a 6x2x2 tank. Please do not make the mistake of thinking it is only 6-8"inches now i will buy a bigger tank when it needs it. Trust me it wont work. If you are planning on keeping monsterfishes then get monstertanks and moster equipments.

For your kind information Silver arowanas and Blacks grow more than 3ft in length so you would need a 6x3x2 tank as bare minimum.

And please don't keep dividers. Fishes need their space. Plan your tank with species which can co-exist or just keep the one monster!

I have a 4x2x2 tank with only a Red Texas and a 6x2x2 tank with an asian arowana with a pleco in it.

Sorry if i came across as aggressive like a Red Texas but i sure wish you could have been more careful especially these days when information is so easily available.

As for ordering online i would not recommend unless they show actual pix of the fish you buy rather than putting up a common photo from google. try india pet store . com without the spaces. you could also try finding nemo on facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
We have a tank size 30''*1'*1' and lately I buy young gold fishes by dozens(ones used as food for arowana) and grow them, love them seeing them grow.

I also have three snails which have laid eggs on inside tank cover, but they have not fertilised, wonder why they are not releasing young ones.
Hi, nice to hear this. How lucky are you with those goldies? Usually the feeder goldies are bred in very unhealthy conditions and carry a lot of parasites in them.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2012 at 22:54. Reason: Please avoid putting-up consecutive posts. use the 'Edit' and 'Multi-Quote' functions henceforth. Thanks :)
Old 15th July 2012, 22:24   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Hi, nice to hear this. How lucky are you with those goldies? Usually the feeder goldies are bred in very unhealthy conditions and carry a lot of parasites in them.
Hi mate,
Goldfish tend to grow fast and feed a lot, hence started with young ones.
Bought two batches at Rs 80 & 60 a dozen, month back.
Only first batch lost two.
They all are in excellent shape.
Old 15th July 2012, 22:33   #2845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 4x2x2 tank with only a Red Texas and a 6x2x2 tank with an asian arowana with a pleco in it.
Wow! An asian arowana is awesome! Its every aquarists dream fish, atleast for those who like Aro's. Would you mind sharing a pic and the setup details ? Also, what type of Arowana do you have.

If you don't mind, can you please PM the landing cost of the fish ?
Old 15th July 2012, 23:31   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
I have a 5 month old persian male kitten. He is not neutered yet. I just got another 3 months old female kitten home. They don't get along. Male kitten attacks her at every chance. Although sometimes he even licks her. I know all about introducing them slowly but my bigger worry is if he gets her pregnant. Should I keep them separate until male is neutered to prevent any chance of he getting her pregnant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Check with the vet first. Suggest you wait a bit before subjecting the poor little chap to neutering. He is a bit young yet. I think he needs to be at least 9 months old before you should neuter him.
I think its the right time to neuter him - from my personal experience. My male cat - Tabby was 5 months old when I got him neutered. It might surprise you if I say one of my 2 female cats - Sweety was only 4 months old when she became pregnant (because of a roadside romeo) and we got her neutered. Tabby, when he was around 5 months old was showing signs of getting along with my another female cat - Sony.

From what I have heard from my vet and also have seen, neutering a male cat is not as much painful as it is for a female cat. The next day after the procedure, he would come back to normal and start moving around freely whereas in case of females, it would take at least 3-5 days time.
Old 16th July 2012, 08:52   #2847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dont say we did not warn you!

really wish guys like you who do not bother at all to even read about the type of fishes you have and just blindly put them all in a soup and hope they co-exist spend more time in forums learning and then taking the plunge

As for ordering online i would not recommend unless they show actual pix of the fish you buy rather than putting up a common photo from google. try india pet store . com without the spaces. you could also try finding nemo on facebook.
thanks friend for the update, i have gone through post to post and that is why kept a small size flowerhorn compared to GT, parrots, oscars and firemouth, but still it did not work (it was mentioned in various forums that small size FH tends to work with big size cichilids)

Yesterday i came across a marine aquarium, fishes are really more attractive than fresh water ones, the shopkeeper told me it is around 10k investment to convert my 40X20X20 inches modular aquarium to marine.
the water will never need to be changed and fishes will also be available at some what the same prices like fresh water. any inputs
Old 16th July 2012, 10:24   #2848
Senior - BHPian

@ruchirtnt: I would avoid Marine setups as they require a whole different level of knowledge, time and investment. The LFS will set you up with a bare bone setup which might work for a few days but a 10k setup will not suffice in the long run.

I have been in the hobby seriously for the past 10yrs now and i'm still contemplating stepping into marine. I was not boasting i was just giving you an idea how hard it will be.

Stick to freshwater for now.

And if you are looking for attraction, then check out african cichlid tanks. they can be as colourful as marine fishes and you can stock up more than american cichlids in your tank.

Fishes like FH, Red Texas, Red Devil, Wolf Cichlids are best kept alone in a regular tank. if you have a monster tank like 6x3x2 or bigger then you could try mixing them up in a proper amazon setup

Before marriage and a daughter now, i had these following setups in my terrace:
1) 6x2x2: Banjar Red Aro, 3 Bichirs, 6 Clown Loaches
2) 4x2x2: Red Texas
3) 6x1x1: Assorted plecos and miss keralas
4) 5x2x2: African Cichlid setup
5) 4x2x2: Planted tank [big failure]
6) 4x2x2: Oscar and Jaguar
7) one cement tank with assorted cichlids

I could dedicate time and money then to maintain and take care of them. Now i have just the aro tank and my red texas.

Start slow, learn what fishes you really want to keep. understand their needs and requirements and then invest in them. Fishes are also like dogs requiring constant care and attention and most importantly love.

@ shashank: The banjar red was around 16k 6inches when i got it 3yrs back. Shall put up some pics
Old 16th July 2012, 11:46   #2849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ruchirtnt: I would avoid Marine setups as they require a whole different level of knowledge, time and investment. The LFS will set you up with a bare bone setup which might work for a few days but a 10k setup will not suffice in the long run.

I have been in the hobby seriously for the past 10yrs now and i'm still contemplating stepping into marine. I was not boasting i was just giving you an idea how hard it will be.
It is good to get updates from you who owns a fleet of aquariums once

I am too keeping & maintaining aquariums from as long as about 17+ years but always stick around guppies, gold fishes and sharks. it is only this year that i bought a rather expensive modular aquarium and looking for some new species and that is why some mistakes happened

Can you please give me more insights on African cichilid Tank and its setup

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 16th July 2012 at 12:00.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:18   #2850
Senior - BHPian

Sure

Africans are mainly divided into Malawi cichlids and Tanganyika Cichlids. Then within them there are haps and mbunas. Generally haps are more peaceful and prefer open water with a sandy substrate. Mbunas are a bit more aggressive and prefer rocky settings with sandy subtsrates.

Go through this for more info
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/haps_vs_mbuna.php

you can always check out tanks on youtube or google. Have fun

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks