Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 19:44   #2266
Team-BHP Support

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
A few questions for the pet lovers here, I hope someone can clarify my doubts

I will move shortly to a 2 bed apartment in a housing society with only parking space around the building compund. There are enough pavements outside for a walk and open spaces are within a 30 minute drive. I would like to adopt a dog/ pup, but dont know the legal issues involved.

Is the space enough for a pet?
Where can I adopt from?
What precautions are to be taken? My son is 5 years old but no idea if he is allergic to fur/ hair
Any vaccinations to be given to the pet or us?
Is a licence/ tag required for the pet?
Is it safe/ legal to transport pets in a car once in a while? I was thinking I could fold off one of the rear seats of my Jazz for this and put in a makeshift barrier.
Adding to sidkun's reply,

Space may not be the issue if it is a 2 bedroom apartment. You would need to check if the housing society has any objections towards dogs. Some apartment associations are known to be quite rigid in their policy of not allowing dogs. You could check with them before bringing the dog home

What precautions are to be taken? My son is 5 years old but no idea if he is allergic to fur/ hair
No one can say for sure whether a person is going to get allergic reactions to a dog's fur or not. The good news is, generally, 90% of the people manage fine without any allergies.

Nothing needed for you. For the dog, vaccinations are given - one for Rabies, and another set for Parvo, kennel cough, canine distemper. Schedules would be like this - first one when you adopt him (since you don't know his/her history) and annually once from then on. De-worming is also done once in 3-4 months (vets differ in this approach so please check). Don't worry if this sounds like greek and latin. The first time you pay a visit to vet, he will explain everything to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post

Technically, yes, although most owners are not aware of that fact. The Bangalore Municipal Corporation (BBMP) issues licenses here which need to be renewed every year.
True. My 2 cents about this whole thing - they tried to mandate the dog license rule but the whole idea is a planning disaster. No one knows where to get it done (including BBMP staff themselves), and BBMP has no way to check who doesn't have a license/fine them.

Kennel Club of India (KCI) issues papers for dogs with identifications, mother's and father's side lineage upto 3 generations upwards, and a microchip for that particular dog. This registration is mostly done for pedigreed puppies by breeders, which is then transferred to the new owner's name. Where this method fails is in identifying adopted strays.

I do not believe in BBMP's idea of mandating it for ALL dogs because it simply tries to duplicate what KCI is doing, and thus creates more confusion. In addition, KCI papers are valid throughout India, in fact can even be used to take the dog overseas. BBMP's 'license' papers are worthless outside bangalore city limits, and I would hardly care about what they (BBMP) scream about.

As far as I know, KCI registration is the way to go for pedigreed dog owners, it is the more authentic one. BBMP license can be taken if the dog is an adopted stray / non-pedigreed mongrel (and if the owner resides in Bangalore)

P.S - BBMP has made it mandatory to update the license once every year. Definitely seems like another scam to make money. They claim this whole license thing will make stray dog population come under control, but in reality educating pet owners about the benefits of neutering/spaying would turn out to be much more effective in preventing unwanted litters.

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st September 2011 at 19:59.
Old 21st September 2011, 20:28   #2267
Senior - BHPian

I sincerely would not suggest that anyone living in an apartment or building complex adopts a pet. Also unless one has help or someone at home all the time 24 hours a day please dont adopt a pet.
they are like children and need to be taken care of constantly. Cannot and should not be left alone at all - its not fair on them.
Life in an apartment is stultifying for any pet unless they have plenty of space to run about etc.
Hence, I entreat you, PLEASE, in the interests of the pet, dont adopt one as long as you live in an apartment and more so in case you dont have full time resident help who are trustworthy enough and who love pets themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
A few questions for the pet lovers here, I hope someone can clarify my doubts

I will move shortly to a 2 bed apartment in a housing society with only parking space around the building compund. There are enough pavements outside for a walk and open spaces are within a 30 minute drive. I would like to adopt a dog/ pup, but dont know the legal issues involved.

Where can I adopt from?
Is it safe/ legal to transport pets in a car once in a while? I was thinking I could fold off one of the rear seats of my Jazz for this and put in a makeshift barrier.
well done!
the picture speaks a thousand words
I wish that there were more people like you in this wicked world.
its heartbreaking to see poor dogs like this, hurt, unloved and harmed by bl***y human beings for no fault of theirs.
I salute your good work on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
My wife and my son rescued a stray puppy that someone left in front of our gate a few months ago. She was extremely ill. Almost paralysed and could not stand up or even raise her head to eat the food. We started treating her. After 7 days she could stand up a little. And with continued treatment she is fit and fine now.

She is extremely naughty and playful. She runs with such a speed that we get amazed (we didn't think that she could even stand up one day). Loves to eat and play.

When she greets me when I return home after office fills my heart with joy. She is like the daughter to us that we never had.

We named her "Bhuku" - seems strange? It originated because when she was small she used to bark with the sound "bhuk" "bhuk" - so the name .

Here are some of her pictures:

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd September 2011 at 04:41.
Old 21st September 2011, 21:17   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
well done!
the picture speaks a thousand words
I wish that there were more people like you in this wicked world.
its heartbreaking to see poor dogs like this, hurt, unloved and harmed by bl***y human beings for no fault of theirs.
I salute your good work on this!
Thanks!!
But all the credit goes to my wife for rescuing her from the roadside. I actually showed a bit of resistance at first taking into account my son's allergic nature.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:52   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Thanks sidkun, KarthikK and shankar.balan for your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I sincerely would not suggest that anyone living in an apartment or building complex adopts a pet. Also unless one has help or someone at home all the time 24 hours a day please dont adopt a pet.
they are like children and need to be taken care of constantly. Cannot and should not be left alone at all - its not fair on them.
Life in an apartment is stultifying for any pet unless they have plenty of space to run about etc.
Hence, I entreat you, PLEASE, in the interests of the pet, dont adopt one as long as you live in an apartment and more so in case you dont have full time resident help who are trustworthy enough and who love pets themselves.
Your opinion makes complete sense to me. In fact this was the main reason not to bring home a dog till date. Unfortunately, I do not see how I can afford to have a bigger place in the immediate future. Also would it not be better for a stray dog to be safe than running around on the streets?
I will certainly reconsider. In which case my other pet options are pretty limited
- I dont like cats, rabbits or hamsters
- I am likely to set any birds free; cannot tolerate to see them in cages
- My son doesnt want a fish tank

To cut it short, though technically I cannot afford a dog spacewise I dont know which pet would fill the void. I appreciate all suggestions

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd September 2011 at 10:57.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:04   #2270
Distinguished - BHPian

Soon, No more cutting the tail or cropping the ears ?

A welcome step ?
Saw this in ToI yesterday, and found the following link too ..

Dog’s world indeed: Can’t cut a pooch’s tail - Bangalore - DNA
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:21   #2271
jp1
BHPian

Recent photos. He has grown old, he is around 9 or 10 yrs now

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
^
Yes! your dog seems to be my pupy's big brother .Post a recent picture of him pls.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscn23001.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscn23141.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2011, 18:43   #2272
BHPian

just got a german shepherd pup which is 1.5 months old..it had been given de-worm medicine..what other vaccines must be given and when?
when do you start training the pup?
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:59   #2273
Distinguished - BHPian

@ariendj, reg the training, I suggest you start off with simple commands, in another month, & at home itself. My prev exp is that the dogs will definitely obey the trainer. but they need to obey us first. Have seen some videos on youtube where 3 month old pups are already trained to wait instead of diving for the food.
Old 24th September 2011, 10:39   #2274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
just got a german shepherd pup which is 1.5 months old..it had been given de-worm medicine..what other vaccines must be given and when?
Congratulations on your pet! Wish you many many years of companionship with your GSD

regarding vaccinations, I'm quoting myself from a previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

For the dog, vaccinations are given - one for Rabies, and another one for Parvo, kennel cough, canine distemper (totally 2 vaccines). Schedules would be like this - first one at 2 months of age, and annually once (boosters) from then on. De-worming is also done once in 3-4 months (vets differ in this approach so please check). Don't worry if this sounds like greek and latin. The first time you pay a visit to a vet, he will explain everything to you
Try to find out who is the best veterinarian in your area, and take your pup the very next day after you bring him/her home.
Old 24th September 2011, 11:40   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Formal training is generally advised after six months. At 1-2 months you have to train the pup the in basics - where to relieve, sit, wait for the food etc. Advanced commands - fetch, roll, heel etc come later.

For vaccination, please visit a couple of Vets near you, and get a chart from them. My vet has a chart, and gives a card with all the vaccination dates on them, on the first visit. He even sends reminder for the vaccination by SMS as well as by post!
Old 25th September 2011, 14:47   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
Please upload some pics of your puppy.
Old 25th September 2011, 16:54   #2277
BHPian

well here is a short video..

Old 25th September 2011, 16:59   #2278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
well here is a short video..
cute video! rocky looks very cute.

On a more serious note, since you were asking about training - try to discourage him biting old slippers. Get him some toys from the pet shop that he can bite instead. Trouble about slippers is, if you let him bite old slippers, he won't know old slippers from new and as he develops more strength in the next few months (trust me, juvenile GSDs' teeth strength can be devastating), the end result - you would soon need to replace all the footwear in your shoe rack

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th September 2011 at 17:01.
Old 25th September 2011, 17:15   #2279
BHPian

thanks for all your comments..
what toys would be better? chew-able edible stuff or just artificial.

he is not that much into milk but likes biscuits and im wondering what else to be given?
Old 25th September 2011, 17:25   #2280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thanks for all your comments..
what toys would be better? chew-able edible stuff or just artificial.

he is not that much into milk but likes biscuits and im wondering what else to be given?
artificial rubber toys in the shape of bones/balls/sticks would do great. Get them from a pet store. A word of caution - don't ever give tennis balls. The green paint/dye on the fuzz covering contains some toxic paint and can cause some nasty stomach upsets

Biscuits you can use as treats occasionally, maybe max 5-6 per day. Too many biscuits and you will have a plump dog Stick to the dogfood that is recommended by the vet. Which one did he tell you to use? Eggs are also great for puppies to get some protein, check if he likes them. You can mix a boiled egg with his food also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks