Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 20:35   #1726
BANNED

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
And no, he is not hurt, he is still very playful and cheerful but gets aggressive when somebody tries to pick him up or even just hold him.
That actually confirms it... Take him to a vet and get him checked.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:41   #1727
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, good point. An animal may well snap if touching somewhere hurts. May be totally unrelated to this incident.
Quote:
Love the attitude , Thad. Respect \m/
. If the neighbours, etc, think he is completely mad --- it means he's doing it right! And hey, the whole family should be joining in.
Old 9th January 2011, 12:00   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Guys!
I need some advice here.
Actually, a few days back while my Lhasa Apso pup who is 1 year 5 Months old was sleeping, my mother was petting him. At that moment, he bit my mum 3 times without any warning. Although, the bites weren't very deep but it was still scary!
Now, after this happened, he looked a bit confused and after a lot of "drama (which includes my mum and dad shrieking and me running to the scene to check)" he rushed and sat beneath our center table and looked at us with moist eyes, as if crying.
After that, he came up on my bed, that was when my mum showed me the bite marks and I was so infuriated that I picked up my pillow and gave my dog three tight whacks right on the bed! Even at this point in time he was growling (out of fear maybe?)
Since that day, he has turned a bit aggressive and growls and snaps aggressively if anybody tries to pick him up. What's wrong?
The only thing out of routine I can find is that due to intense winter at our place, we are unable to take him out for walks but instead, let him roam around our terrace in the afternoon where he plays fetch with us.
How do I win back the trust and respect?
I read about it on the Net and am now doing this-
"I hold him up face to face with my hands and try to stare him in the eye without blinking or anything to give him a sense of "who is the boss". At this moment, he stares for a second and then looks somewhere else and then just refuses to look me in the eye. Also, he yawns quite a bit while I go about this exercise."

Just today, he snapped and growled at my cousin who kind of "accidently" held him by his front legs while he was jumping all over here in joy! Fortunately, no damage was done.

He is a good dog and learnt Sit, Lay Down, Stay, Fetch and Shake-a-Paw almost instantly! It is just this behaviour of his in the recent days which has me worried.

Please help me out.
Many dogs still retain their wild ancestor's instincts. If they are asleep then any contact indicates possible attack hence, their first reaction is to bite, and then think (preservation instinct!). He is confused as he reacted to his instinct and feels that no wrong was done. That the bites are shallow show that it was instinctive and not deliberate action. Just showing him the bitten hand would have worked wonders. Couple that with a sad face and regret at what he has done would ensure that he realises his folly. Of course ensure that he is not petted while asleep as the reaction to it is inbuilt and cannot be cured.

Dogs have as many different personalities as humans. Some males are born aggressive - they have traits of "Alpha Male" that is, they are born to rule the pack. You seem to have got one. My lab is exactly the same, Here is my experience

. If he does not like petting, don't. My lab does not like being petted on the head, but does not mind rough play and rough petting at other places. My lab loves rough games of tackle, pulling and general horse play.

. A dog gets used to routine very soon. So if you feed him at the same time every day, he will make life miserable for every one at that time. Vary the meal timings. Similarly if you take him for walks, vary the routine, else he will be expecting the walk at the same time for exactly the same duration!

. To win his trust you do not have to do much. Just act normal and treat him as your friend (not as a play thing). Take him on walk regularly, and do not inter act with him if he does not want to. Soon you will be able to read his mood. There will be times when he would be aloof, and times when he will sidle up to you for no rhyme or reason. Give his space and he will give you love, but at his terms.

Please warn every one of his behaviour, and play with him by his rules. Our lab is exactly of same temperament, we play a lot with him but know the rules - no petting on head, no lifting, every thing else is a fair game - pulling tail, catching by scruff an giving a good shake, banging him in the rump, scratching every where except head. But only when he wants it, else you try any thing and he will growl, show teeth and act as though he will eat you up.
Old 13th January 2011, 19:57   #1729

Pet

Pals,
My doggy a Labrador 9 year old Appu has a problem - he`s got stones in the urinary bladder and had a tough time, until we diagonised the problem thru an x ray and scan and used a catheter to empty his bladder. He is ok now, but the doctors have recommended that we have a surgery done to remove the sediments and clean the bladder. Quite apprehensive about this.... cud somebody help pls..... is there a way we cud deal with the situation without surgery.
Any advice or suggestion in this regard, wud be great help to us.
Than-X
Binesh

Note from Support: Please search and post in appropriate thread / section.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th January 2011 at 20:12. Reason: Note inline
Old 14th January 2011, 10:17   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Binesh Kumaar View Post
Pals,
My doggy a Labrador 9 year old Appu has a problem - he`s got stones in the urinary bladder and had a tough time, until we diagonised the problem thru an x ray and scan and used a catheter to empty his bladder. He is ok now, but the doctors have recommended that we have a surgery done to remove the sediments and clean the bladder. Quite apprehensive about this.... cud somebody help pls..... is there a way we cud deal with the situation without surgery.
Any advice or suggestion in this regard, wud be great help to us.
Than-X
Binesh

Note from Support: Please search and post in appropriate thread / section.
Stones in bladder generally travel from kidneys, hence the good news is that they are mobile. Some Homeopathic drugs may dissolve them.
Else try non surgical stone removal methods used on humans - ultrasonic treatment.
Recently I have come across a lot of pets who have suffered Kidney failure. So I advise owners to check the diet and consult vets to reduce its incidence.
Old 14th January 2011, 14:29   #1731
BHPian

Guys.. do let me know if someone can help me get a good puppy within the range of 10K in Bangalore. It can be of any breed.
Old 14th January 2011, 15:53   #1732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Guys.. do let me know if someone can help me get a good puppy within the range of 10K in Bangalore. It can be of any breed.
Why dont you just visit CUPA and adopt a pup? There are so many which deserve a good and loving home. It doesnt seem like you are looking at any breed, so how does it matter?

CUPA will sterilise the pup and give you a nice healthy one. And Stray's are right up in the value chain thanks to Darwin.
Old 14th January 2011, 19:08   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why dont you just visit CUPA and adopt a pup? There are so many which deserve a good and loving home. It doesnt seem like you are looking at any breed, so how does it matter?

CUPA will sterilise the pup and give you a nice healthy one. And Stray's are right up in the value chain thanks to Darwin.
Am not looking for the ones we find on streets. Why would I go to Cupa to adopt a stray, I have hundreds in my street itself.
Old 14th January 2011, 20:55   #1734
OEM
BHPian

For all those who have been asking for the photographs of the pups, here goes

Parentage: Bitch (my dog) is the daughter of 2008 kerala state champion and stud was imported from UK

That's just 6 of them. the remaining 3 were being fed by the mother. Total of 9.

5 fox red, 3 fawn and 1 white

All to be vaccinated, registered and microchipped. Currently in perfect health as certified by the vet.

How about some help with naming them........

they are 5 females and 4 males in all.........just to jump start the naming ceremony ;-)

OEM
Attached Images

Last edited by OEM : 14th January 2011 at 21:01.
Old 14th January 2011, 20:59   #1735
OEM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------
I am selling, in case you are looking. I already have a buyer from bangalore.
Give me a tinkle at 9840926523
Old 21st January 2011, 20:28   #1736
BHPian

From my twitter feed:

36 beagles in Bbay for adoption, rscud from an animal testing cntr.Will be put to sleep if don't find safe home 9810054077
Old 21st January 2011, 20:32   #1737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_horizon View Post
From my twitter feed:

36 beagles in Bbay for adoption, rscud from an animal testing cntr.Will be put to sleep if don't find safe home 9810054077

Is there a way i can get one? I heard jet transports pets, my sister just lost her dog so was looking for one, need a female please let me know if you can help me get one i will pay the airfare in advance.

Pramod
Old 21st January 2011, 22:01   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Is there a way i can get one? I heard jet transports pets, my sister just lost her dog so was looking for one, need a female please let me know if you can help me get one i will pay the airfare in advance.

Pramod
I would be glad to help, but I got nothing to do with it. It just appeared on my twitter feed, and I thought to share it on T-BHP. Call on the number listed in the post, and check if its possible. Since it is 'rescue' case, handled by a govt agency or an NGO, i doubt they will will take the pains to jet transport anyone of them.
Old 27th January 2011, 23:56   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Guys need some help. My Little Lab is eating her own poop, Please let me know what we can do to prevent this.

Pramod
Old 28th January 2011, 01:42   #1740
Distinguished - BHPian

Just... dogs can be disgusting.

Be glad she isn't eating somebody else's

Among the family dogs I gew up with, the Golden Retriever was the worst at this sort of thing and I had to sit in the back of the car with her on the way home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks