Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2024, 11:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata ordered to refund Rs 16.95 lakh after Nexon EV catches fire

Incidents like these will only tarnish the image of an already burning Tata reliability scenario. People will slowly keep moving away from Tata EV's if they are not able to instill confidence of the otherwise safe cars which Tata promises.

Appreciation to other manufacturers like MG and Mahindra who are turning out to be much more reliable and *safe* products with proper experiences for people.
Old 28th September 2024, 12:14   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Good day all!

I am the Advocate who appeared for Mr. Brainard in this case. I've been a Team BHP member for many years now. I also received some calls from other Tata owners after this case was reported who are facing issues with their cars.

I'll be happy to answer any queries anyone has on this topic.
Congratulations on the verdict!!

I need your legal opinion for the problems I'm facing after purchasing my car. Could you let me know how i can contact you. Thank you ..
Old 28th September 2024, 12:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzybala View Post
Out of curiosity,
Could the Tata motors failure to sufficiently address the HV critical faults and subsequent battery warranty claims rejection be filed as a PIL?
Possibly. There's other data available on similar incidents occuring across the country and a statutory body under the consumer protection act has already issued some notice in this regard. I can't recall the specifics at this time, but you'll find it if you search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
I would love to understand on how this was won? Was it won on the technicality of the refurbished battery?
I can't comment on that at the moment, you'll have to read the entire judgment to understand the reasoning of the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Attachment 2660314

The vehicle did not have valid own damage insurance, which might be one of the reasons the owner was motivated to approach this legally. Otherwise majority would just claim the own damage insurance and get the insurance payout even if its with some depreciation.
This is partly true. Many consumers would be ok to cut their losses, get as much of their money back from the losses incurred and move on. However, just for everyone's knowledge, even if there was a comprehensive policy active at the time of the incident, you can claim the insurance and sue in the consumer court. The two pecuniary claims operate in different fields. The court may take note of the insurance claim and may choose to set off the amount awarded in the court for deficiency of service.
ByDesign is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th September 2024, 23:03   #19
BHPian

I am glad the owner and the biker got the compensation but the sheer amount of trauma and time wasted can't be recovered.

With so many niggles reported with TATA, I must salute the brave souls who still buy a TATA. There needs to be a strict consumer protection law else OEMs will just focus on selling inferior products.

Compared to TATA, Mahindra does listen and overall quality is better but still not on par with global products. I fully support MAKE IN INDIA but let's just stop making inferior products and stop buying these in the name of Vocal for Local. This is why "Made in Japan" has a meaning and everyone respects it. Heck even Chinese are way better now.
newenergy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2024, 00:44   #20
BHPian

Why close to 50000 people put faith in this brand every month is beyond me. Tata is the micromax of automotive brands. Id never buy one even if it was the cheapest, most feature loaded, 7 star safety rated car.
siren373 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th September 2024, 18:53   #21
BHPian

An Electric Vehicle catching fire and attributed to a thermal runaway event in the battery pack is only obvious . I wonder if there is any diagnosis for such an event as it happens often without any warning. Anyone has information that conclusively states that this isn't always true?
Old 30th September 2024, 10:39   #22
BHPian

This case has been rightly won, Tata should be penalized for not looking into into such customer issues, it is really frustrating for an owner who has put his time and energy in buying a home grown product. Tata should learn a thing or two on how to pacify customers the way other brands do. Having said that, some of the criticism I see for this fire incident as a critical fire issue with Tata EVs is not right.

Hypocrisy is at its best when people blame Tata as though if all their cars are catching fire, many of those had turned a blind eye when it came to other brands issues like the Hyundai Kona fire case which was actually a global problem/ fault. Also even other incidents which have been pacified by giving an extended warranty or a free car polish ! Small or big issues should be brought to public domain.

Tata has its shortcomings in terms of customer service and poor ASC reception which they seriously need to retrospect, but they also have the largest fleet of EVs on the road in India which are being used and abused by cab operators on a daily basis and there are no significant case of fire/ breakdown that is brought to notice, I guess that proves a lot about their EV platform. Data is money and on Indian roads Tata has that edge with respect to EVs, Tata will continue to sell EVs and lead the market because accept it or not the majority of the owners are happy with their products the same way people are happy with unsafe build quality cars made for India by the so called premium manufacturers. Tata can retrospect and become the best or have deaf ears and loose it all.

Finally its purely at our discretion what to buy or not, while some are happy maintaining a decades old oil guzzling Pajero, some others get easily frustrated and run to the SVC when their air purifiers touch button has a slow response. I'm sure there will be many such people who will betray their tongue by investing in the same dreaded Tata EVs IPO.
skyocean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2024, 15:33   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
This case has been rightly won, Tata should be penalized for not looking into into such customer issues, it is really frustrating for an owner who has put his time and energy in buying a home grown product. Tata should learn a thing or two on how to pacify customers the way other brands do. Having said that, some of the criticism I see for this fire incident as a critical fire issue with Tata EVs is not right.

Hypocrisy is at its best when people blame Tata as though if all their cars are catching fire, many of those had turned a blind eye when it came to other brands issues like the Hyundai Kona fire case which was actually a global problem/ fault. Also even other incidents which have been pacified by giving an extended warranty or a free car polish ! Small or big issues should be brought to public domain.

Tata has its shortcomings in terms of customer service and poor ASC reception which they seriously need to retrospect, but they also have the largest fleet of EVs on the road in India which are being used and abused by cab operators on a daily basis and there are no significant case of fire/ breakdown that is brought to notice, I guess that proves a lot about their EV platform.
I dont think the point here is that Tatas are inherently unsafe. The problem is that there response to issues and complaints are inadequate even years after receiving complaints. Even in this case, the fact there problems with the car, had the battery changed and still ended up failing rightfully instills fears in people because while faults happen, we expect that the manufacturer will properly investigate and provide a solution that works.

Manufactures these days seem weirdly dismissive to complaints relating to fundamental issues with their vehicles and as consumers we have to keep holding them responsible to ensure that future products are better.

What mahindra did in a far less serious case of fire is the perfect example of how to take responsibility and provide the customer with the support needed. Hell even hyundai recalled the Konas (though i guess that was because of the threat of litigation) and changed the potentially faulty batteries. Somehow going on past experience, I dont see Tata standing by their customer in a similar way.
Sentau is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2024, 19:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentau View Post
I dont think the point here is that Tatas are inherently unsafe. The problem is that there response to issues and complaints are inadequate even years after receiving complaints. Even in this case, the fact there problems with the car, had the battery changed and still ended up failing rightfully instills fears in people because while faults happen, we expect that the manufacturer will properly investigate and provide a solution that works.

Manufactures these days seem weirdly dismissive to complaints relating to fundamental issues with their vehicles and as consumers we have to keep holding them responsible to ensure that future products are better.

What mahindra did in a far less serious case of fire is the perfect example of how to take responsibility and provide the customer with the support needed. Hell even hyundai recalled the Konas (though i guess that was because of the threat of litigation) and changed the potentially faulty batteries. Somehow going on past experience, I dont see Tata standing by their customer in a similar way.
Agree here. The repeated complaints about the battery issue, refusing to enter drive mode under 18% charge and then getting a refurbished battery. That's why I referred to it in the court as the very heart and soul of an EV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks