Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2024, 12:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal

Tesla had previously announced that they were working on an autonomous Robotaxi.

Ahead of its global unveil sometime next month, the upcoming Robotaxi has been spotted testing for the first time. The Robotaxi prototype can be seen covered in heavy camouflage and even fitted with blocks behind the cabin to disguise its true shape. Reports state that the upcoming Tesla Robotaxi could feature Cybertruck-inspired styling, a full-width LED tail light, Scissor doors, and a minimalistic two-seater cabin with a large screen in the centre.

Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal-teslarobotaxi.jpg

Reports also state that the Robotaxi will be the first Tesla vehicle without a steering wheel or pedals. Instead, the vehicle will rely on a series of high-resolution cameras and the brand's FSD (Full Self-Driving) software to drive itself around.

Tesla is also reportedly working on its own ride-sharing app, which will operate a fleet of Robotaxis alongside regular Tesla cars, which will come fitted with FSD and driven without a human behind the steering wheel.

The Tesla Robotaxi will be underpinned by the brand's 'next-generation' platform, which could help reduce Tesla's manufacturing costs significantly.

The Tesla Robotaxi is scheduled to be unveiled on October 10, 2024 - a delay from its original unveil date of August 8, 2024.

Source: Drive.au

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 19:56   #2

Re: Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal

Automotive world seems like a joke at this point. Literal toy cars are now a reality, 90 percent of the roads are riddled with boxes on wheels, sedans are dead, manuals are dead, aesthetic & timeless designs are DEAD, RIP ICE, so-called "off-road" vehicles spend the majority of their life on paved roads, interiors are iPads galore, it's getting difficult to tell which car is which since the all look pretty much the same now.

Future isn't really all that cool. I wanna go back :(
Attached Images

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th September 2024 at 19:59.
thebateman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2024, 12:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal

Tesla Robotaxi reveal on Oct 10.

Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal-20240926_123801.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 26th September 2024 at 12:40.
Old 9th October 2024, 13:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am really looking forward to the event tomorrow. I am sure there will be a lot of promises and unrealistic timelines.

In my opinion, Tesla still has a lot of work to do to achieve Full Self-Driving (FSD). The current hardware in their vehicles is only suitable for ‘supervised’ FSD, a term coined by Tesla to avoid admitting they haven’t yet delivered on their promise of full autonomy.

There are many limitations to relying solely on a vision-based system. To handle all the edge cases, there needs to be redundancy in the sensor system. Radar and ultrasonic sensors can help achieve this. It will be interesting to see what hardware changes are introduced to the Robotaxi.
Old 10th October 2024, 06:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I am invited for this event and i might go if i go to work tomorrow as its pretty close from my work place.

What is expected to be announced?

1. Tesla Robo Taxi

2. Tesla Mini Van ( 10-12 Seater)

3. Tesla Model 2 ( $25k Entry Level EV)

Hope all of above is announced and EM doesn’t spring any new timeline surprises.

Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal-img_4760.jpeg

Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal-img_4761.jpeg
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2024, 08:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla CyberCab is a Robotaxi for less than $30,000 claims Elon Musk.

Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal-screenshot-20241011-085624.png

Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal-screenshot-20241011-090008.png

Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal-screenshot-20241011-085940.png

Tesla Robotaxi prototype spotted undergoing testing ahead of its global reveal-screenshot-20241011-090103.png

Quote:
The EV has been designed without a steering wheel or pedals and should reach production in 2026.
Tesla expects to begin rolling out unsupervised versions of its Full-Self Driving system next year.
The car manufacturer has not yet revealed details about the car’s powertrain
The EV is equipped with Tesla’s latest autonomous driving systems and approximately 50 examples have already been built. The car manufacturer’s eccentric billionaire boss Elon Musk claims production will start in 2026, although during the car’s live unveiling, warned that he can be optimistic with timelines. He went on to clarify that production will begin before 2027.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th October 2024 at 09:04.
Old 11th October 2024, 16:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

The event was absolutely lackluster for me, with very few details on the actual specifications of the robotaxi.

It seems like this event was just to keep Tesla relevant. Elon knows he hasn’t delivered the full autonomy he promised since 2019. I’m not buying any of the promises they made this time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks