Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2024, 18:31   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata Curvv EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevator View Post
Thanks, Current load allowed on my connection is 4kw. Do I need to increase the load for my connection or the charger will be auto adjusted to available load?

In your existing connection, at what speed it gets charged?
It is better, but 7.2KW will work. The technician who will come down to install it will advise you to upgrade to 7KW load but you can skip.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 18:38   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
Even I use a 7.2KW charger on a single phase 3kw meter. I have been charging my Nexon EV MAX since 2022. It takes 5.5 hours for a full charge from 10-100%. No issues at all. You can use it.
Electricity bills have a fixed charge component for sanctioned load, which is proportional to the load value. If you draw more power than sanctioned continuously beyond a certain time period (which is of the order of 15min or 30min), then meter is supposed to record it and electricity providers typically charge that extra load at a higher rate as a penalty. At least this is how it works in Bangalore. Additionally, they may demand additional deposit which you will never get back because chances of you surrendering your connection are practically next to nil. Have you checked your bills for such additional charges? If you haven't, I suggest you to check.

I do have a 3-phase connection for my house. Do they have chargers with 3-phase input? I would prefer it if available because it should divide the total load among 3 phases rather than all 7+ kw on a single line, which is high for typical wiring. How thick wires do you use for your charger? Are they 4-6 mm2 or more by any chance?

Another couple of related queries to everyone-
1. Is it better to use existing connection to charge EV vehicle or should we get a new meter? By the way, I plan to add a 3-5kw solar power system in near future.
2. I have heard of FAME-II (expired in March this year) and FAME-III (upcoming) subsidies but don't really know what exactly it is. Does it benefit EV buyers directly or indirectly via manufacturers? One of the Tata officials had mentioned (during a Curvv launch related interview) that he really wants the government to re-introduce it soon and that it is going to benefit EVs a lot. Just wondering, would it be wise to wait for it in that case?
santosh.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 18:44   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Electricity bills have a fixed charge component for sanctioned load, which is proportional to the load value. If you draw more power than sanctioned continuously beyond a certain time period (which is of the order of 15min or 30min), then meter is supposed to record it and electricity providers typically charge that extra load at a higher rate as a penalty. At least this is how it works in Bangalore. Additionally, they may demand additional deposit which you will never get back because chances of you surrendering your connection are practically next to nil. Have you checked your bills for such additional charges? If you haven't, I suggest you to check
Agreed that they may bill extra for load factor. I asked for a new meter, but here in Hyderabad, they don't sanction a separate meter for EV owners. You have to apply another meter for a separate portion as upto 4 meters can be applied for a single plot.
Old 18th August 2024, 21:23   #94

Went to showroom today (Vision Tata - Panchkula)
I had a bad experience with the showroom!
I called them before going and the reception person told me that Curvv.ev is available for display as well as a test drive.

When I reached there, the bad experience started right there:
- Curvv.ev was not there and I was initially told that is in service and being charged. It will be available in the evening.
- Later I was told that the boot of the car had malfunctioned because someone tried to close the powered booth manually, and now it is stuck and not opening.
- Only Curvv Petrol was on display. The battery of the display Curvv was down and it was a dead unit. I mean what are they doing? Keeping the display unit dead! What a joke!

Regarding the boot issue they told me, this makes me wonder, is it that easy to break the powered tailgate? If someone mistakenly tries to close it manually, will it get stuck? Shouldn't it automatically start closing the way CD/DVD player tray used to do in the old days?

To add on to the bad experience:
- The Punch.ev which was on display was not the top model and I could not experience features like 360 camera, sunroof, etc.
- Nexon.ev was not on display.

So, overall I wasted my time visiting such a bad showroom. Not going there again.

Coming to the Curvv petrol (regarding space and overall looks):
- I found it dominating.
- The car is really well built and looks premium.
- I'm 5'11" and I adjusted the front seats for my comfort. I then sat in the rear seat and found it comfortable. I had enough legroom and headroom. Most of the YouTubers have shown a lack of headroom only when they're sitting upright with a straight back. But in real life/long drives, you don't sit like that. You sit in a relaxed position and then there is enough headroom.
- For healthy people with wider body frame, the front seats might feel a bit tight. But for me, it was comfortable.
- Even the legroom was quite there and the seats were quite comfortable.

Could not test any features of the car because the display unit (Curvv petrol) was dead.
pranavjindal999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 09:12   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the details. The same point really bothering me for some days. I also have some queries as follows:
In my apartment, I have single phase connection. I am thinking to use 15A slow charger for Curvv. As slow charging takes around 21 hrs from 0 to 100%, I thought it's okay to charge EV in multiple session. e.g. charge till 75% and then in next day from 75% to 100%.

1, Is it okay to do charging in multiple sessions using slow charger like above, would it affect battery like?
I think so. Battery (top) balancing starts I guess some where around 90% SoC. However there is a lack of details at least in the manual. Currently it says the recommended option is to charge till 100% SoC. But one need to get too worked up on this follow the idea that whenever possible get to 100% SoC on slow charging but dont worry if you could not do it on a particular session because for example power went of in between.

Quote:

2. 7.5kw charger is included with Car and they do not waive off the charger price like Punch EV. I have to upgrade my electricity connection to 3 Phase(it may take additional Rs 30000-35000 in Pune). If I regularly charge EV with 7.5kw charger, would it affect battery life in long term?
The 7.2 Kw charge is also a slow charger and with a large battery pack of Curvv it will be bad not to have it. I have it with my nexon ev max and regularly use it so no problem at all here. The point is that even with the battery pack of nexon EV max it takes about 14 hrs to charge from say 15% SoC to 100%SoC on the 16 amp charger. This is often slow if you have to go for a longer drive the very next day. Also the 7.2 Kw charger is often installed with proper wiring and the technician from Tata Power who visited our premise before the installation did a through check of the service wire and earthing which is always good.

My home had a 3 phase connection already but the 7.2 kw charger only uses a single phase (it is connected to the Blue phase at my home). So even if you have a single phase connection it should be fine. However you will need to upgrade your load requirements with the DISCOM and possibly get a thicker service wire for your home (mine was also changed). Despite all these I would suggest that you go for the 7.2 Kw charger particularly if you are buying Curvv. The reduced charging time and the overall safety is worth it. I am a bit surprised though that they are insisting on the 7.2 charger because in my case (Nexon) I asked specifically for it.

Last edited by electric_eel : 19th August 2024 at 09:17.
electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 09:58   #96
BHPian

Quote:
2, 7.5kw charger is included with Car and they do not waive off the charger price like Punch EV. I have to upgrade my electricity connection to 3 Phase(it may take additional Rs 30000-35000 in Pune). If I regularly charge EV with 7.5kw charger, would it affect battery life in long term?
1) You don't need three phase connection for 7.5kw load.
2)Increasing sanction load to 7.5kw should not take 30-35k.
3) Few weeks back I got dedicated ev meter costing 12k (includes everything) with 7.5kw sanction load on single phase. And that too in Pune.
4)However, if you are going to use 7.5kw charger, it's better to get dedicated meter because you might exhaust sanction load since it will be used for residential and ev charging purposes.
5)For portable charger, I don't think you need to increase the sanction load. On your existing sanction load, a 16-amp socket should do the work.
linuxworld is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 13:28   #97

I was discussing Curvv EV with a few of my friends and it turned towards the prospective segments who would be owning Curvv EV. It was quite an interesting discussion and I wanted to see what the distinguished folks here think. A car seems like a single identity when we're looking at it from an enthusiast's perspective. But when we talk about the success or failure for a mass market, then of course, a single model can be used in multiple ways.

Please keep in mind, that an EV has two types of charging needs. One is the DC Fast Charging, when you're on outstation trips and want a quick boost from 15-20% to 80-85%, while you're on a short break for 30-40 minutes. And another is the Slow Charging, where you want to slow charge the vehicle from 70-75% upto 100% using a slow AC charger to help the cell balancing and henceforth, its battery life. Different customer segments would be handling these in different manner, as per their convenience.

Segment 1: Multicar Garage
A big fraction of the EV owners today, already have an ICE car in their garage. They use their EV for city trips and use the ICE car for longer / outstation trips. They also have sufficient infra to install dedicated AC charger for their EVs and hence, slow charging or fast charging isn't an issue for them.

Segment 2: House owners who are first Time EV Buyer or One-Car Household
For those considering their first EV or relying on single car for all their needs, this car presents an interesting proposition. With its 350+ km realistic range and all the bells and whistles on offer, it seems to cover all the bases. Handling daily commutes, weekend getaways as well as longer cross country trips. Given that they also have a house or their own office where they can get the chargers installed, they don't have to worry about their slow charging needs.

Segment 3: New age population segments such as Young Professionals, New Couples, Aspiring Middle Class or Urban DINKs
I think they would form the major chunk of Curvv EV's target base. They are typically budget minded and want all the latest features at the lowest costs. With mushrooming charging stations in many cities, they can definitely manage their nominal charging needs by using the DC fast chargers. However, as they don't have their own place and many RWAs don't allow / resist installing chargers, their slow charging needs isn't met. Additionally, if you're living in a rented apartment, you wouldn't want to invest 50-60k capital in upgrading the owner's allocated load and installing the charger there.

Segment 4: Resourceful version of Segment 3
Same as above, though there could be a jugaad type solution where a high quality extension cord type solution can be used to draw power from their household. I have seen quite a few solutions on ecommerce websites already, though not sure about their safety or effectiveness.

Of course, the opulent segments can easily enjoy the Curvv EV. However, what options do the aspiring middle class have? Are the hacky solutions offered on ecommerce websites reliable enough to make Curvv EV the first mainstream product for the masses?
vippul4friends is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 16:00   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippul4friends View Post
Segment 3: New age population segments such as Young Professionals, New Couples, Aspiring Middle Class or Urban DINKs
Segment 4: Resourceful version of Segment 3
This has to be resolved for EVs to really take off in India, one or more of the following things need to happen:

1) Apartment and office parking will need to have common AC chargers with reasonable rates (i.e. Rs 8 to 12 per unit) and in sufficient numbers.

2) Road side chargers, like in Kerala and western countries.

3) EVs that can mostly be fast charged from 20% to 80%, in less than 30 minutes and places like malls and smaller shops/shopping complexes with parking should have such chargers.

A podcast on solving this in the west: How to cram EV fast chargers into tight urban spaces
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 16:04   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
This has to be resolved for EVs to really take off in India, one or more of the following things need to happen:

1) Apartment and office parking will need to have common AC chargers with reasonable rates (i.e. Rs 8 to 12 per unit) and in sufficient numbers.

2) Road side chargers, like in Kerala and western countries.

3) EVs that can mostly be fast charged from 20% to 80%, in less than 30 minutes and places like malls and smaller shops/shopping complexes with parking should have such chargers.

A podcast on solving this in the west: How to cram EV fast chargers into tight urban spaces
I believe these solutions are the next set of steps that should be taken. Not by anyone entity individually, but by us consumers in general. The precursor to this step, namely providing a car within realistic budget with a realistic range has already been taken by TAMO.
vippul4friends is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 08:20   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
2. I have heard of FAME-II (expired in March this year) and FAME-III (upcoming) subsidies but don't really know what exactly it is. Does it benefit EV buyers directly or indirectly via manufacturers? One of the Tata officials had mentioned (during a Curvv launch related interview) that he really wants the government to re-introduce it soon and that it is going to benefit EVs a lot. Just wondering, would it be wise to wait for it in that case?
I have the exact same question. Will FAME-III bring in any benefits for EV car buyers? If yes, will the benefits be applicable to the relatively larger battery capacity EVs like curvv or would only be available for smaller battery capacity EVs like Tiago and Punch?
Old 20th August 2024, 10:54   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
**Warning long post**

I disagree here for a few reasons -

Cruvv.EV 55KW - Assumed AEC- 7 kms per km or 143wh/km. Total range expected - 385 kms. Assumed range before requiring a stop - 340 kms.

Nexon.EV 40KW - Assumed AEC- 7 kms per km or 143wh/km. Total range expected - 280 kms. Assumed range before requiring a stop - 250 kms
Actually I do not think we disagree except that I would think Curvv should give worse efficiency figures due to its heavier battery pack. The loss of efficiency will be more dramatic in hills (substantial difference) than in the plains (Theoretically no difference). But any way that is not the point.

I think both of us see the same things and arrive at different conclusions due to our differing needs/requirements. I should admit that I too would go for the Curvv if it was my first EV by preferring range over other things. With an ownership of 2 years I have got a better understanding of my requirements and Curvv is not an automatic choice. Disclaimer I have not seen the Curvv in person nor done a test drive and might still be tempted if the Sales team is good . My sole point is do not just look at the battery pack when deciding which to go for.

Curvv would also be good to use on fast expressways, a point that I think has not been mentioned. We all know that on fast expressways, where one can reach the upper speed limit consistently, EVs drain their battery faster. A larger battery can then make a difference once support for faster chargers become common.

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th August 2024 at 12:35. Reason: Typo correction
electric_eel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 17:27   #102
BHPian

Had a look at the Curvv just today.

The car looks wow and the proportions look brilliant in real. Quality feels very good but Creta definitely felt a little better to me. Front space is exactly like the Nexon and one negative is the front seats are too narrow for someone having a wider body frame. Heck, the punch definitely has wider front seats. The ingress at the rear is extremely difficult and my parents found it very hard and even I felt the same. Seats are very comfortable but the floor is high. Head room was good for me and the recline angle was very good. The door handle design felt unnecessary with it not being either there nor here. This definitely cannot command a very huge premium to the Nexon if you ask me as other than the design and some features, it feels exactly like a Nexon.

Also checked out the Basalt and woah, they are surely not in the same segment. Basalt immediately felt to be a segment lower other than the rear seat factor.
freakmuzik is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 00:45   #103

Hello all

Has anyone managed to sneak a look at the adventure variant (either 45 or 55)?
I ask because I noticed something odd. In the ICE version, where Adventure is the top trim, the rear seats have 60:40 split while in the EVs the adventure does not (according to the brochure and website). They otherwise have the same interiors, in terms of colour, seats, etc.

I find it a bit odd that a company would go to the lengths to manufacture and assemble a single seat with two subtypes, just for variant differentiation. On the other hand, this is Tata, with 100+ variant combos for the Nexon...
Old 21st August 2024, 09:01   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Actually I do not think we disagree except that I would think Curvv should give worse efficiency figures due to its heavier battery pack. The loss of efficiency will be more dramatic in hills (substantial difference) than in the plains (Theoretically no difference). But any way that is not the point.

I think both of us see the same things and arrive at different conclusions due to our differing needs/requirements. I should admit that I too would go for the Curvv if it was my first EV by preferring range over other things. With an ownership of 2 years I have got a better understanding of my requirements and Curvv is not an automatic choice. Disclaimer I have not seen the Curvv in person nor done a test drive and might still be tempted if the Sales team is good . My sole point is do not just look at the battery pack when deciding which to go for.

Curvv would also be good to use on fast expressways, a point that I think has not been mentioned. We all know that on fast expressways, where one can reach the upper speed limit consistently, EVs drain their battery faster. A larger battery can then make a difference once support for faster chargers become common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
The MG ZS EV charge curve, as you can see the different stages of charge speed. The first 20 minutes it add around 40% of charge to the battery, in the second 20 minutes its add close to another 30% of charge and in the final 22.5 minutes it adds only 17% charge.

So a car with a bigger battery will always charge faster, in the case of the Curvv EV it has a 1.2C charge capable battery which is still slower then the MG ZS EV 1.37C charge capable battery. But higher then the Nexon 0.7C charge capable battery.
A 30kw charger would supply max 30 ke in an hour irrespective of the speed of charging supported by the car. It would take about two hours to charge curvv ev in 30 kw charger.

I think the point we are trying to make is, please be aware of your requirements and reality. When I bought ev max I did not know anything except it gives about 300 + range in highways. After using it for 70000 kms, across India, I have a better understanding on many aspects.

On paper curvv is a better car. But your needs may be better satisfied with Nexon ev and you might save some money as well.

Also it is misconception that ev max charges at 11 ke post 82 percent. Mostly in Zeon and jio and tata new chargers we get 28 ke till 92 percent, I have also got 22 kw till 96 percent. Depends on charger environment etc

Last edited by sumannandy : 21st August 2024 at 09:03.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 17:06   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
A 30kw charger would supply max 30 ke in an hour irrespective of the speed of charging supported by the car. It would take about two hours to charge curvv ev in 30 kw charger.

On paper curvv is a better car. But your needs may be better satisfied with Nexon ev and you might save some money as well.

Also it is misconception that ev max charges at 11 ke post 82 percent. Mostly in Zeon and jio and tata new chargers we get 28 ke till 92 percent, I have also got 22 kw till 96 percent. Depends on charger environment etc
Power as in motor power. Watt = Volt x Ampere.

When a battery SOC drops, it's voltage also drops and in order for the motor to maintain the same power level to sustain the same vehicle speed, it will compensate the voltage drop by pulling in more current. So when this happens the voltage further drops in the battery.

That is why when it enters a tortoise mode, you may floor the throttle but the car is not going any faster.

A bigger battery will always have lower voltage sag under load and produces less heat. This is also the reason many EV be it with two or four wheeler have higher power/torque figures for variants with bigger battery than with a variant with same motor but that has a lower capacity battery.

Zeon charging curve for Nexon Max peaks the 30kW charger but drops to 22kW from 84% till 92% SOC, it then further drops to around 12kW at 93% SOC and drops to 5kW at 97% SOC.

Also note that at the final phase of charging, the BMS is wasting energy by trying to balance cells by either discharging the cell with higher voltage with a bleed resistor or by discharging from cell with higher voltage and transferring power to the cell with lower voltage and in most cases it's doing the latter when its doing cell balancing within the same battery module.

Where as until approximately 80 to 85% SOC, the charging power is actually going to charging the battery and not wasting power during cell balancing.

So unless a person doesn't have the budget for Curvv or hates the rear ingress and egress, a Curvv EV is a better vehicle in every single way compared to a Nexon EV.

Vast majority of the informed buyers will prefer the Curvv EV over a Nexon EV mainly because of the faster charging speed and even if they drive within the max range of a Nexon.
DIY410 is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks