Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2024, 16:26   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Curvv EV Review

The MG ZS EV charge curve, as you can see the different stages of charge speed. The first 20 minutes it add around 40% of charge to the battery, in the second 20 minutes its add close to another 30% of charge and in the final 22.5 minutes it adds only 17% charge.

So a car with a bigger battery will always charge faster, in the case of the Curvv EV it has a 1.2C charge capable battery which is still slower then the MG ZS EV 1.37C charge capable battery. But higher then the Nexon 0.7C charge capable battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Curvv EV Review-img20240812wa0006.jpg  

Tata Curvv EV Review-img20240812wa0005.jpg  

Last edited by DIY410 : 16th August 2024 at 16:54.
DIY410 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 17:12   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu77 View Post
3. No chance as the battery architecture and the electrical architecture as a whole would be different.
Charging speed of the battery is a manufacturer choice and in Nexon.EV it is not limited by the physical architecture. Will Tata increase it in Nexon in future? I don't think so because the battery warranty is to be provided and they want to play it safe with the batteries being used in Tiago, Tigor, Punch and Nexon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I have driven 800 kms also in one day in MAX. A higher range and higher charging speed definitely helps, only if you have access to higher capacity dedicated chargers.

Otherwise, considering you stop for breakfast, lunch evening snacks and dinner, you would manage almost same time in max or curvv.

Depends on your route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
2. As @sumannandy brilliantly demonstrated, you might end up spending more time charging the bigger EV than the smaller EV. Together with the fact that slow charging to 100% (a must for LFP batteries) is going to take more time you really need to see if the tradeoff is worth taking.
**Warning long post**

I disagree here for a few reasons -

Cruvv.EV 55KW - Assumed AEC- 7 kms per km or 143wh/km. Total range expected - 385 kms. Assumed range before requiring a stop - 340 kms.

Nexon.EV 40KW - Assumed AEC- 7 kms per km or 143wh/km. Total range expected - 280 kms. Assumed range before requiring a stop - 250 kms

1. High capacity chargers are coming up thick and fast on major highways. I am not buying the car keeping in mind today's use. I am buying it for minimum 5 years of use.
Example - Say i was going from Faridabad to Amritsar for a weekend trip, Distance is 488 kms. This route has numerous 120 KW chargers even 180KW and 360 KW chargers.
Cruvv.EV LR-
1. I would stop at Karnal/Kurukshetra (multiple high speed chargers) at around 220 kms, I stop for a food or tea break. I am done with my charging to reach Amritsar. I reach Amritsar with near 15% charge left with 40% charging break(43% to 83%) on the way. Time taken for break - 30 mins.
Next I have three options
1. Slow charge 3.3 KW - I put it on charger at 10 PM in the night by 9AM in the morning. The car will be charged by 55% bringing total charge to 70%
2. Slow charge 7.2 KW - I put it on charger at 10 PM and it is charged 100% by the morning.
3. Fast charge 30 KW - It will take max 2 hrs to charge to 100%
2. Option 2 is ideal but say I use option 3, 150 kms of local driving takes 40%. Now the day before I head back, I put the car on slow charge from 60% to 100% overnight.

3. ON the way back, I take the same approach as I used from coming to Amritsar.
Total FC sessions - 3. Continuous FC sessions - 2. Total time taken for breaks on the way - 1 hour

Nexon.EV LR-
1. I would stop at Karnal/Kurukshetra at 240 kms, I stop for a food. I am done with my charging to reach Amritsar. I reach Amritsar with near 15% charge left with 85% charging break(15% to 100%) on the way. Time taken for break - 1 hour 15 mins.
1. Slow charge 3.3 KW - I put it on charger at 10 PM in the night by 9AM in the morning. The car will be charged by 74% bringing total charge to 89%
2. Slow charge 7.2 KW - I put it on charger at 10 PM and it is charged 100% by the morning.
2. Option 2 is ideal but say I use option 1, 150 kms of local driving takes 54%. Now the day before I head back, I put the car on slow charge from 35% to 100% overnight.

3. On the way back, I take the same approach as I used from coming to Amritsar.

Total FC sessions - 2. Continuous FC sessions - 0. Total time taken for breaks on the way - 2.5 hour

Summary - Cruvv.EV saves on the way charging time and doesn't breach the 4 continuous FC limit. Nexon.EV uses less FC sessions but takes much more time for on the way charging
2. If I at routes where I am stuck with charging at 30 KW still I am better off.
Example - Say I am travelling from Faridabad to Jhansi for a weekend trip. Total distance - 405 kms
Cruvv.EV LR-
1. I would stop at Statiq Dholpur or GO EC at around 195 - 220 kms, I stop for a food or tea break. I am done with my charging to reach Jhansi. I reach Jhansi with near 28% charge left with 37% charging break(43% to 80%) on the way. Time taken for break - 40 mins.
1. Slow charge 3.3 KW - I put it on charger at 10 PM in the night by 9AM in the morning. The car will be charged by 55% bringing total charge to 83%
2. Option 2 is ideal but say I use option 1, 150 kms of local driving takes 40%. Now the day before I head back, I put the car on slow charge from 43% to 100% overnight.

3. I start back, I take the same approach as I used from coming to Jhansi.
Total FC sessions - 2. Continuous FC sessions - 0. Total time taken for breaks on the way - 1 hour 20 mins

Nexon.EV LR -
1. I would stop at Statiq Dholpur or GO EC at around 195 - 220 kms, I stop for a food or tea break. I am done with my charging to reach Jhansi. I reach Jhansi with near 24% charge left with 68% charging break(22% to 90%) on the way. Time taken for break - 1 hr.
1. Slow charge 3.3 KW - I put it on charger at 10 PM in the night by 9AM in the morning. The car will be charged by 76% bringing total charge to 100%
2. Option 2 is ideal but say I use option 1, 150 kms of local driving takes 54%. Now the day before I head back, I put the car on slow charge from 43% to 100% overnight.

3. I start back, I take the same approach as I used from coming to Jhansi.
Total FC sessions - 2. Continuous FC sessions - 0. Total time taken for breaks on the way - 2 hours

Summary - Cruvv.EV saves on the way charging time and doesn't breach the 4 continuous FC limit. Nexon.EV takes much more time for on the way charging
3. Cities which are 280 to 300 kms, Curvv.EV will not need a stop. Nexon.EV will need a stop.

4. Driving more than 500 kms a day. Nexon.EV will need multiple charge breaks. Cruvv.EV can do 700 kms in 1 charge break.
Nexon.EV slows down charging after 80-85% on 30KW charger but Cruvv.EV may take the full 30 KW capacity of the charger post 80 -85% as well due to its higher charging speeds

Please note:
1. I have not taken examples of going to hills as the discharge varies from car to car on elevation change.
2. I have not taken one off examples like taking car to remote places as that requires specific planning.
3. As per the manual, 1 slow charge to 100% after 4 DC sessions is advisable. There is a difference between mandatory and advisable. They are not voiding warranty if you don't do so.

Disclaimer - All the calculations above are approximations. The real world performance should be close.
ferrarirules is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 18:25   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post

2. As @sumannandy brilliantly demonstrated, you might end up spending more time charging the bigger EV than the smaller EV. Together with the fact that slow charging to 100% (a must for LFP batteries) is going to take more time you really need to see if the tradeoff is worth taking.
Thanks for the details. The same point really bothering me for some days. I also have some queries as follows:
In my apartment, I have single phase connection. I am thinking to use 15A slow charger for Curvv. As slow charging takes around 21 hrs from 0 to 100%, I thought it's okay to charge EV in multiple session. e.g. charge till 75% and then in next day from 75% to 100%.

1, Is it okay to do charging in multiple sessions using slow charger like above, would it affect battery like?

2, 7.5kw charger is included with Car and they do not waive off the charger price like Punch EV. I have to upgrade my electricity connection to 3 Phase(it may take additional Rs 30000-35000 in Pune). If I regularly charge EV with 7.5kw charger, would it affect battery life in long term?
Old 16th August 2024, 20:20   #79
BHPian

To the Admins:

Can you please include a comparison with closest competitors like the one in this thread: At least, the first two tables will be very helpful in the review itself.

https://eventreg.oracle.com/profile/...t:::ForumsPage
Old 16th August 2024, 21:05   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevator View Post
Thanks for the details. The same point really bothering me for some days. I also have some queries as follows:
In my apartment, I have single phase connection. I am thinking to use 15A slow charger for Curvv. As slow charging takes around 21 hrs from 0 to 100%, I thought it's okay to charge EV in multiple session. e.g. charge till 75% and then in next day from 75% to 100%.

1, Is it okay to do charging in multiple sessions using slow charger like above, would it affect battery like?

2, 7.5kw charger is included with Car and they do not waive off the charger price like Punch EV. I have to upgrade my electricity connection to 3 Phase(it may take additional Rs 30000-35000 in Pune). If I regularly charge EV with 7.5kw charger, would it affect battery life in long term?
1. Yes you can charge it the next day. I am pretty sure the BMS would not have even started to balance at low SOC. It's only when the cell bank starts to go over a certain voltage will it then start balancing.

2. The supplied Exicom charger can be set to charge at 16A or 3.3kW by the installation team. This is still faster then the portable charger. Typically in efficiency, the 3.3kW or 7kW charge speed will be more efficient in terms of AC to DC energy loss in the On Board Charger or OBC than when charging at a reduced rate via the portable charger.

Remember the On Board Charger for most Tata vehicles is 7kW.
The wall box unit and portable charger are nothing but a safety protection device with features like ELCB, pilot signal circuit, High/Low voltage cut off etc. It does not alter the AC main voltage in any way what's so ever. There is also no reason to not make the wall box charger the same size as portable charger albeit with thicker cables. Its a absolute waste of plastics and space to make wall box chargers.

The biggest profit margin for EV manufacturers or dealers in India is by bundling the wall box charger and the dealers selling them at astronomical price.

Last edited by DIY410 : 16th August 2024 at 21:18.
DIY410 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 22:57   #81
BHPian

Quote:
I have to upgrade my electricity connection to 3 Phase(it may take additional Rs 30000-35000 in Pune). If I regularly charge EV with 7.5kw charger, would it affect battery life in long term?
There is no imapct of charging with a 7.2 KW charger on a long term. Also the 7.2 charger provided by Tata is not a 3 phase charger, it runs on only 1 phase.
ferrarirules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 15:48   #82
BHPian

Looks crap in my personal opinion.

Tata has been underperforming for decades now.

They inherited a fantastic platform in the Original Harrier.

They absolutely destroyed it, by just adding features, touch everywhere.

The touch sensitive gear levers are horrendous, as well as the horrendous, unreliable electrical seat Butrons.

Apart from the Punch, and their quick action on EVs, They have gotten everything wrong over the last 2 decades.

Too many Bosses, burecracy maybe.

They gotta learn from Mahindra, Kia, Hyundai

Tata is one of the few with a diesel engine, They should have been printing money right now

Last edited by Nucliomaniac : 17th August 2024 at 15:50. Reason: Grammar
Old 17th August 2024, 15:57   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucliomaniac View Post

They inherited a fantastic platform in the Original Harrier.

They absolutely destroyed it, by just adding features, touch everywhere.

The touch sensitive gear levers are horrendous, as well as the horrendous, unreliable electrical seat Butrons.

Apart from the Punch, and their quick action on EVs, They have gotten everything wrong over the last 2 decades.

Too many Bosses, burecracy maybe.

They gotta learn from Mahindra, Kia, Hyundai

Tata is one of the few with a diesel engine, They should have been printing money right now

Underperforming?

Everything wrong in the last 2 decades except for Punch?

I wonder how a company can be that and still sell over 40000 cars every month consistently for years now.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 18:14   #84
BHPian

Quote:
They should have been printing money right now
While I also don't like some of their decisions, this point seems so strange in your rant especially since they do seem to be printing money.
https://www.business-standard.com/co...1001050_1.html
Jekyl87 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 00:09   #85
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Also, one-liner posts are best avoided.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 19th August 2024 at 13:47.
michellrikot is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th August 2024, 07:48   #86
BHPian

Quote:

underperforming?? Are you trying to say that they had the potential to sell 80k cars instead of just 45k cars per month? Or is there something else?

Could you please elaborate on that point?
Nano45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 12:58   #87
BHPian

So much said about the Curvv being based NOT on Nexon's but an all new platform and only (not all) the body panels and interior trim etc being shared, I wonder how different is it to drive the Curvv compared to how the Nexon felt. I found Nexon to ride pretty well but then it has never been like a driver's car and it felt heavy in a way I can't explain in words. Comparatively, the Punch EV felt lighter and tighter. How does the Curvv fair in all these aspects?
Old 18th August 2024, 15:37   #88
BHPian

Quote:
In my apartment, I have single phase connection. I am thinking to use 15A slow charger for Curvv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
There is no imapct of charging with a 7.2 KW charger on a long term. Also the 7.2 charger provided by Tata is not a 3 phase charger, it runs on only 1 phase.
Even I use a 7.2KW charger on a single phase 3kw meter. I have been charging my Nexon EV MAX since 2022. It takes 5.5 hours for a full charge from 10-100%. No issues at all. You can use it.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 16:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
So much said about the Curvv being based NOT on Nexon's but an all new platform and only (not all) the body panels and interior trim etc being shared, I wonder how different is it to drive the Curvv compared to how the Nexon felt. I found Nexon to ride pretty well but then it has never been like a driver's car and it felt heavy in a way I can't explain in words. Comparatively, the Punch EV felt lighter and tighter. How does the Curvv fair in all these aspects?
Curvv like Punch relies on Tata's Acti.ev architecture, one of its key advantages is that the battery pack functions as a structural component, enhancing the chassis's torsional stiffness—reportedly by 30% as mentioned during the Punch EV launch. A stiffer chassis is highly desirable, as it enables optimized damper settings for improved ride comfort while maintaining excellent body control.

Here's the snip from Team Bhp's official review:
Quote:
Handling & Dynamics
In a straight line, the Curvv EV is quite stable and you or your passengers won’t even notice that you are doing triple-digit speeds. At highway speeds, the Curvv EV is stable and there’s no unnecessary vertical movement. The stiffer suspension, 50:50 weight distribution and lower centre of gravity of the Curvv EV give it good handling characteristics. On twisty roads, the car feels composed through the corners. At times, the traction control kicks in when you’re getting out of corners. It also tries to regulate the wheel spin of the low rolling resistance tyres. They do squeal in protest when you’re pushing hard in corners. There is a hint of body roll, but it is well in check.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 17:30   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
Even I use a 7.2KW charger on a single phase 3kw meter. I have been charging my Nexon EV MAX since 2022. It takes 5.5 hours for a full charge from 10-100%. No issues at all. You can use it.
Thanks, Current load allowed on my connection is 4kw. Do I need to increase the load for my connection or the charger will be auto adjusted to available load?

In your existing connection, at what speed it gets charged?

Last edited by elevator : 18th August 2024 at 17:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks