Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2024, 09:12   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Curvv EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishekk View Post
Not able to get it. Why would that be so? For reference Citroen C4 and Basalt have longer wheebase and shorter height then Curvv. And I am not talking about coupes from Mercedes & BMW.
I should keep my mouth shut when it comes to design but here we go.

One needs to also account for the battery pack in the case of Curvv. For example the ground clearance of Nexon Petrol is 208 mm where as in Nexon EV Max 190 mm which a close to 2cm difference. Even with this difference the latter has a higher floor than the former. This double whammy is what kills the headroom. There is not much one can do with the GC for otherwise the coupe SUV would suddenly become the much maligned sedan . And finally sprinkle the most sought after yet completely useless feature, i.e sunroof, that too panoramic, whatever headroom is left disappears like thin air.

Having said all this, being an owner of Nexon EV Max myself, one of my biggest reservation is its (Nexon's) coupe form factor as well as the busy rear styling. In the styling department my biggest problem with Curvv is its piano black wheel wells (reminds me of the ceramic strip of Nexon).

Of the three Punch EV, Nexon EV facelift and Curvv, I would have opted for the Punch because of these ergonomic issues and would have saved a bit in the process (hopefully discounts are coming). The fact that it is a smaller car (I am a small car person) would have been a feature instead of bug for me and I think the range would have been fine for my usage. Also the slower DC charging would not be such a problem for me as most of my charging is home charging (A total of 6 Fast charging so far in my 2 years of ownership).

This is my opinion others might prefer the curvv for their purpose with its longer range and faster DC charging and hopefully better BMS.

Last edited by electric_eel : 15th August 2024 at 09:14.
electric_eel is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 11:44   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
I should keep my mouth shut when it comes to design but here we go.

One needs to also account for the battery pack in the case of Curvv. For example the ground clearance of Nexon Petrol is 208 mm where as in Nexon EV Max 190 mm which a close to 2cm difference. Even with this difference the latter has a higher floor than the former. This double whammy is what kills the headroom. There is not much one can do with the GC for otherwise the coupe SUV would suddenly become the much maligned sedan . And finally sprinkle the most sought after yet completely useless feature, i.e sunroof, that too panoramic, whatever headroom is left disappears like thin air.

Having said all this, being an owner of Nexon EV Max myself, one of my biggest reservation is its (Nexon's) coupe form factor as well as the busy rear styling. In the styling department my biggest problem with Curvv is its piano black wheel wells (reminds me of the ceramic strip of Nexon).

Of the three Punch EV, Nexon EV facelift and Curvv, I would have opted for the Punch because of these ergonomic issues and would have saved a bit in the process (hopefully discounts are coming). The fact that it is a smaller car (I am a small car person) would have been a feature instead of bug for me and I think the range would have been fine for my usage. Also the slower DC charging would not be such a problem for me as most of my charging is home charging (A total of 6 Fast charging so far in my 2 years of ownership).

This is my opinion others might prefer the curvv for their purpose with its longer range and faster DC charging and hopefully better BMS.
I agree with your opinion. We have Punch EV in our family, its a good city car with better visibility and sitting comfort (incl rear passenger). In last 6 months of ownership, we have charged the car using 3.3kw home charger.

The Curvv can be a primary car for most buyers for Intra-city and Highway trips. As per my opinion, its best suited for buyers with height 5.3ft to 5.8 ft.
Gurudatta Nayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 13:25   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippul4friends View Post
I finally managed a chance to visit a TAMO showroom near my office and checked out Curvv EV as well as ICE models on display. Though, I must admit, I spent disproportionately more time drooling over the EV.
Thanks for sharing the brochure.

Slow charging 55kwh after every four fast charges will seriously limit the highway usage for really long drives. MAX works with static and TATA AC chargers, Xeon also, but it did not work with JIO AC charger. Not sure about curvv. Regular 3.3 KW would take even more time to completely charge the battery and may not be feasible if you are taking long trip.

Most of the YouTube reviewers are quoting 360kms to 400 kms range. So real world 400+ kms range would be possible when driven properly.

Also considering most of the highway chargers are limited to 30 KW or 60KW/2 if there are two vehicles, effectively in one hour it would add up to 240 kms of range whereas for Nexon or punch in one hour it would add much more range.

We would start realizing the benefit once we have more dedicated 70kw and higher capacity chargers

Consider this while buying this vehicle.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th August 2024 at 06:20. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
sumannandy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 15:33   #64
BHPian

Checked out Curvv Ev and ICE versions and here’s the observations from a Taigun user.

1. Car does look good in person, pictures and videos doesn’t do justice to this car. Meanwhile I never liked Nexon styling ev for many reason, especially due to rear quarter and rear end styling. Curvv somehow looks more proportional and coupe rear end matches well with the raising window line.

2. Its not a spacious car! Especially at rear. Rear legroom is limited due to the shorter wheelbase and lacks under thigh support due to the raised floor . Due to slopping roof I was expecting a compromised headroom but the lack of knee room and lack of space to stretch your leg underneath the front seat makes it uncomfortable for long rides for a 6 feet tall person like me.
All the extra length of this car went on to the coupe styling and boot which surprisingly is quite good.

3. The dashboard is straight up lifted from nexon, the layout, textures and colors are used tastefully. But there are some scope of improvements in fit and finish, but Tata had improved there game by a huge margin from their previous generation cars.
The plastics used are good but not great, could have used some soft touch plastics on the touch points of door and dashboard which would have definitely improved the cabin experience. The red wine color combination needs a shout out, it’s tastefully done. ❤️

4. Ingress and egress is bit difficult in rear due to the high floor, it becomes especially difficult when the front seat is at its rearmost position.

5. Range on paper looks good, seems adequate for the price but it depends on the use case.

6. Some Quality and Ergonomics issues.
The HVAC control is not great, its very inconsistent in operation, steering wheel looks impressive but the controls are not properly placed IMHO.
On to the exterior, the black claddings are gonna bring huge sales to PPF folks, and potential customers should take your Curvv ev to a PPF shop soon after you are out of showroom.

Overall I liked the car, it’s good. But unfortunately the lack of rear legroom is something I cannot accept in a C segment car, I can live with the slopping roof and compromised headroom but legroom is something very much important for a long distance comfortable travel in my personal opinion.

But apart from this shortcomings Curvv is a promising product and may be even can become one of Tata’s hot sellers in no time.

Last edited by Adam : 15th August 2024 at 15:39. Reason: Typo corrected
Adam is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 17:59   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Thanks for sharing the brochure.

Slow charging 55kwh after every four fast charges will seriously limit the highway usage for really long drives. MAX works with static and TATA AC chargers, Xeon also, but it did not work with JIO AC charger. Not sure about curvv. Regular 3.3 KW would take even more time to completely charge the battery and may not be feasible if you are taking long trip.

Most of the YouTube reviewers are quoting 360kms to 400 kms range. So real world 400+ kms range would be possible when driven properly.

Also considering most of the highway chargers are limited to 30 KW or 60KW/2 if there are two vehicles, effectively in one hour it would add up to 240 kms of range whereas for Nexon or punch in one hour it would add much more range.

We would start realizing the benefit once we have more dedicated 70kw and higher capacity chargers

Consider this while buying this vehicle.
This is just my opinion, but using 3.3 kW charger for a large battery like in Curvv EV would only be feasible on weekends, that too, for folks who use it like a city car during the week.

If you assume average of 50 KM drive per day (including office to and fro, late night dhaba drive and what nots), then it would make more sense. Which bolsters my thought that TAMO designed this car specifically for the nuclear families staying in T1 / T2 cities who are looking for a good looking disctinct car, which is 'cool' as per their standard definitions.

Regarding the rear seat and height, I agree, I was bummed out. However, I checked out this page, and realized a few things. First of all, I'm at 98%ile of height amongst Indian males. Secondly, with a height of 5'8", my colleague was able to enjoy the rear seat properly. His head didn't brush, his knees were comfortable and the window area was right next to his face. As per the same link, 5'8" is around 85%ile height in India.

So I guess, TAMO did actually go by the 80th percentile cutoff.

Also, does anyone know if we can get a combination of the Accomplished interiors in the Empowered Trim? Don't know why TAMO didn't give us options to choose the interiors. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.
vippul4friends is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 20:36   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Please help me understand, how Nexon or Punch will be able to get more range during fast charging compared to Tata Curvv?
elevator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 22:37   #67
BHPian

Three questions

1. Will 45 kw have better leg room in rear seat compared to 55 kw?
2. Variants without sunroof will have better head room?
3. Any chance of Tata raising the 30 kw dc fast charging limit in Nexon through sw patch?

Last edited by BlueGod : 15th August 2024 at 22:46.
Old 16th August 2024, 01:05   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The rear seats don’t fold completely flat:
Attachment 2640018
I recollect watching a short clip wherein the seat base can be flipped forward, the rear seats might still not fold completely flat, but a bit more flat?

Request if anyone going to a showroom can check for credibility of the seat base flipping forward.
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 04:50   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGod View Post
Three questions

1. Will 45 kw have better leg room in rear seat compared to 55 kw?
2. Variants without sunroof will have better head room?
3. Any chance of Tata raising the 30 kw dc fast charging limit in Nexon through sw patch?
As far as I know
1. Same legroom. Zigwheels confirmed there is no difference in floor height between 45 and 55 , hence knees up position is also similar.
2. It would improve the sense of headroom being bigger in front of your head. Above the head would remain the same with or without it as your head would anyway would be in the scooped out area.
3. No chance as the battery architecture and the electrical architecture as a whole would be different.
Pikachu77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 07:44   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevator View Post
Please help me understand, how Nexon or Punch will be able to get more range during fast charging compared to Tata Curvv?
This is from my experience of extensively driving the ev across India. From Leh to Kanyakumari and east.

Most of the Tata and BPCL chargers are 30 KW fast chargers. 60KW chargers form Jio and others usually have two charging slots, if one vehicle is there then it would charge at 60 KW, if there are two vehicles it would split to 30 KW each.

Only Zeon has dedicated 50KW chargers. Chargezone also has few.

There are only few dedicated chargers of 70KW or higher.

Even if you get 60 KW charging, chances are there that another vehicle would join and start charging in between.

Tata Curve real world mileage is about 400 kms. Reviewed got 360-390, so careful driving would give 400+.

Assuming 55kwh gives 400 kms, for 100 percent, we would get 4kms per 1 percent.

If we are charging at say 30 KW charger, in one hour we would top up 30/55 * 100 or 54 percent. That would provide about 220 kms of range.

In same 30 KW charger, you would be able to charge EV max or punch ev lr to almost 100 percent. EV max would provide 300-320 kms of highway range, punch ev may provide 270+ kms of range.

Curvv ev is definitely a much better product with higher charging speed and battery capacity. However at the moment highway infrastructure is not there to realise the full benefit.

So please consider this while making your purchase. As per your use case.

I have driven 800 kms also in one day in MAX. A higher range and higher charging speed definitely helps, only if you have access to higher capacity dedicated chargers.

Otherwise, considering you stop for breakfast, lunch evening snacks and dinner, you would manage almost same time in max or curvv.

Depends on your route.

Entire J&K we have 30 KW chargers.
Leh has a DC charger but limited time. Else it is 15A charging everywhere.

Entire east difficult to find higher capacity chargers. There are many 25KW chargers also.

All 60 KW chargers except a few works with load sharing everywhere else.

Zeon has some dedicated 50 KW chargers. 50 KW charging would also take about an hour and half to fully charge.
sumannandy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 09:23   #71
BHPian

Quote:
This is from my experience of extensively driving the ev across India. From Leh to Kanyakumari and east.

Most of the Tata and BPCL chargers are 30 KW fast chargers. 60KW chargers form Jio and others usually have two charging slots, if one vehicle is there then it would charge at 60 KW, if there are two vehicles it would split to 30 KW each.
Very well put. I would say people should really evaluate their running before committing to the larger battery pack (and therefore larger car). When planning to get an Nexon EV Max (we did not have much options at that time), we went for it because 300 Kms of effective range should workout for about a week of travel for us (unless we do a long trip). Which effectively means a charging cycle per week. Being in Kerala most of our intercity travel is also of that range. Our social visits for example PKD-Kozhikode-PKD can all be dealt with with a single slow charging at home.

The longest I did was a PKD-TVM-Kanyakumari-TVM-palakkad with a halt at my sisters place in TVM. This meant a single FC between PKD-TVM and and a slow charging at TVM that takes care of the TVM-Kanyakumari-TVM trip (few people were amused to see a KL-09 EV in Kanyakumari actually).

If you are planning for an EV do evaluate these very carefully because

1. You are compromising on other things like ergonomics

2. As @sumannandy brilliantly demonstrated, you might end up spending more time charging the bigger EV than the smaller EV. Together with the fact that slow charging to 100% (a must for LFP batteries) is going to take more time you really need to see if the tradeoff is worth taking.

Last edited by electric_eel : 16th August 2024 at 09:26.
electric_eel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 09:49   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
If the "knees up" position is because of the battery does it mean the ICE Curvv will be better? Or is the floor height common for both?
Most likely the ICE will be better.
Reason: It’s based on altogether a different platform.
The .ev cars (Punch and now Curvv) are based on a new “born EV” platform, while the older Nexon EV and the ICE Curvv are based on the continually updated Indica platform.
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 11:50   #73
BHPian

I think there is an issue with the calculation.

Larger batteries and batteries in general dont charge in a linear fashion as you have calculated. There is a parabolic curve. Slower in first 10..15% .. super fast around 30 to 70 and very slow 90 ..100%

So 30/55 x 100 logic wont work. Curvv will still charge faster with more range in the same time with the same charger charger, as punch etc. will hit that 85%..100% band and charge drearily slow, while Curvv would be charging at full throttle being in the band range.

Quote:

Only Zeon has dedicated 50KW chargers. Chargezone also has few.

There are only few dedicated chargers of 70KW or higher.

Even if you get 60 KW charging, chances are there that another vehicle would join and start charging in between.

Tata Curve real world mileage is about 400 kms. Reviewed got 360-390, so careful driving would give 400+.

Assuming 55kwh gives 400 kms, for 100 percent, we would get 4kms per 1 percent.

If we are charging at say 30 KW charger, in one hour we would top up 30/55 * 100 or 54 percent. That would provide about 220 kms of range.

In same 30 KW charger, you would be able to charge EV max or punch ev lr to almost 100 percent. EV max would provide 300-320 kms of highway range, punch ev may provide 270+ kms of range.

Curvv ev is definitely a much better product with higher charging speed and battery capacity. However at the moment highway infrastructure is not there to realise the full benefit.

I have driven 800 kms also in one day in MAX. A higher range and higher charging speed definitely helps, only if you have access to higher capacity dedicated chargers.

Otherwise, considering you stop for breakfast, lunch evening snacks and dinner, you would manage almost same time in max or curvv.

Depends on your route.

Entire J&K we have 30 KW chargers.
Leh has a DC charger but limited time. Else it is 15A charging everywhere.

Entire east difficult to find higher capacity chargers. There are many 25KW chargers also.

All 60 KW chargers except a few works with load sharing everywhere else.

Zeon has some dedicated 50 KW chargers. 50 KW charging would also take about an hour and half to fully charge.
-xplora- is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 13:01   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the Tata and BPCL chargers are 30 KW fast chargers. 60KW chargers form Jio and others usually have two charging slots, if one vehicle is there then it would charge at 60 KW, if there are two vehicles it would split to 30 KW each. Only Zeon has dedicated 50KW chargers. Chargezone also has few. There are only few dedicated chargers of 70KW or higher.

Having a larger battery and faster charging speeds is always better than a car with a smaller battery and slower charging speeds, especially when they are priced so close to each other. Any car charging curve starts to taper down after 80 to 85% state of charge (SoC). For example, Nexon EV max maintains 30KW charging only till 83% and comes down to 22% after that. At 92% it goes down to just 11%. With bigger batteries in Currv EV, the capacity and range from 10% to 85% will be larger than the ones in Nexon EV max.

Current highway EV chargers may not be good enough but it's improving rapidly. Many of the new charging hubs are all using 50KW+ chargers and many of them have multiple chargers. So, the chances of all of them being occupied at the same time will be less, enabling cars like Currv EV to get full 60KW charging speed. If anything, its the Tata that has kept the industry backwards by sticking with low charging speeds in Nexon and Punch. Also, most of the 30KW chargers are also their own tata power chargers or BPCL. All other major operators like JIO BP, Statiq, Chargezone, Zeon, etc... are installing faster chargers and setting up multiple chargers at the same location. So, the charging infra will be much better in the next 2-3 years and most of them will be faster and higher in number.

If anyone is in the market for a TATA EV for > Rs 15 lakhs, then Currv EV is a no-brainer.
sri_tesla is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 15:20   #75
BHPian

There is also the initial drive advantage from home. With Nexon you might need to start looking for charger after 250 km while in Curvv you can go another 70 odd km before looking out for charger.
DC fast chargers > 45 kw from plug share. Situation is improving slowly.

Tata Curvv EV Review-img_6365.jpeg

Still many may find Nexon VFM with the current discounts and if the price stays the same or goes lower.
BlueGod is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks