Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2024, 12:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Curvv EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The biggest bummer I see is the rear seat space, but my garage includes cars with a poor rear seat experience (530d, Thar) and an awesome one (Superb, Sunny), so I could manage it. This is the only true dealbreaker I see if the Curvv were to be the single car in a family with tall people.
What about HV critical error issue, a serious flaw affecting many Tata EV cars (HV Critical Alert in Tata EVs)? Do you have any insights or thoughts on it?

Rear seat space and comfort may not be a dealbreaker for me personally because my family doesn't have tall people (I am the tallest at 5'-7"/171cm). So it may be acceptable, though I would have liked it to be better. HV error is the biggest concern before I take the plunge unless Tata officially declares it as fixed, and it is corroborated by users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Isn’t it a funny twist of fate that most..........

It’s like our journalistic heroes are the living embodiment of ‘bigger is better’ while slowly pushing the auto industry towards international standards—one cushy seat at a time!
Funnier part is that seats suitable for tall people can possibly be outright uncomfortable to others with a much shorter/smaller physique.
santosh.s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 12:28   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
What about HV critical error issue, a serious flaw affecting many Tata EV cars (HV Critical Alert in Tata EVs)? Do you have any insights or thoughts on it?
I think Tata is not going to put out a press release regarding the hv critical alert, I think people have to have faith in the brand and buy the car. Similar to how people are buying the same dry clutch DSG which caused so many issues in the Polo and Vento but has since been relatively problem free. Hopefully they have solved it.

The worrying factor is that each service center fixed the hv critical alert using different means, so there isn't one magic fix for it.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 12:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Creta is 2 cm longer and has 5 cm longer wheelbase. So ideally they should have liberated 3cm more wheel base. Why they couldn't, is due to the coupe design.
Tata could have extended the wheelbase and the coupe design factor is irrelevant. The sloping starts above the rear wheel so it would have also got pushed back.

Quote:
As you increase the wheelbase, you will have to increase the height of the car as well so that the head room remains the same.
Not able to get it. Why would that be so? For reference Citroen C4 and Basalt have longer wheebase and shorter height then Curvv. And I am not talking about coupes from Mercedes & BMW.

Quote:
1. How much does a rear seat comfort matter in today's age of nuclear families until unless you are driven around by a chauffeur?
If you are buying the car just for you then rear seats comfort doesn't matter. But in case of family it matters. Within few years children grow in size and would ask to sit on front seat. Then someone will have to sit on rear seat. It also depends upon the average height of the family.

Quote:
I have sat for a countable 2-3 times in rear seat of each car that i owned.
The same argument can be made for the big boot. Who needs it. One can manage in 380 litres of boot space most of the time.

Personally I think the idea of going for 4 meters+ car by paying extra tax is to get better interior space and is one of the prime reasons for the success of the Creta. Otherwise sub 4 meters car are also fine.
When a customer goes to the showroom he spends most of the time inside the car and do not keeps looking into the boot.

I would say when Tata decided to go for Coupe design then it should have also decided to go for longer wheelbase but instead it went for shorter. This would have also allowed it to make longer battery pack thus not raising the floor height too much.
ishekk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 12:35   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
What's that extra length of beading doing flailing beyond the edge of that door?
And those two holes with peeping yellow insulation foam?
Could've been done cleaner, yes, but the beading itself is very functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
Does the Curvv also have the problem of not charging more than 4 consecutive DC Fast Charges?...
Quote:
What about HV critical error issue, a serious flaw affecting many Tata EV cars (HV Critical Alert in Tata EVs)? Do you have any insights or thoughts on it?...
We asked that question at the product briefing, and were told this shouldn't be an issue. They do recommend an occasional slow charge to 100% so the battery has a chance to maintain calibration. I'd still wait to see the user manual, and real-world user experiences to validate the claim.

Here's a good explainer from a media colleague:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-m_nDaMEZp/

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th August 2024 at 12:37.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 12:44   #50

Quote:

Rear seat space and comfort may not be a dealbreaker for me personally because my family doesn't have tall people (I am the tallest at 5'-7"/171cm). So it may be acceptable, though I would have liked it to be better. HV error is the biggest concern before I take the plunge unless Tata officially declares it as fixed, and it is corroborated by users.

Funnier part is that seats suitable for tall people can possibly be outright uncomfortable to others with a much shorter/smaller physique.

HVC errors are basically nothing but core battery issues.
There are hundreds of cells and with time the deterioration in each of them keeps going out of balance.
Few deteriorate more than others.

The best way to avoid HVC errors in the long term is to stick to charging cycles as much as possible.

Let's say, the fresh battery has 100 cells.
Each of them at the start is at 100% SOH.
With time they will deteriorate and some will deteriorate more than others.
Now while driving, you are at 50% SOC, but that does not mean that each cell is at 50% SOC.
There might be few cells at 40% SOC and few at 60% SOC (due to different levels of individual cell SOH), and now when you keep on going and reach a lower overall SOC, the cells that were at 40% SOC might reach 0% SOC and that's when you get HVC errors.

The more you stick to charging cycles, the more you keep the cells in balance and the less likely you are to get HVC errors.
Always charge to 100% with a slow charger whenever possible.
Discharge to < 10% only when you're near your home.

This is my understanding of HVC errors. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
pranavjindal999 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 13:02   #51
BHPian

"High Voltage Critical Error" in Tata's world is equivalent to the ubiquitous "Check Engine Light" in ICE world. It could mean any of the components in the High Voltage circuitry is misbehaving and not necessarily the battery pack. Yes, we are seeing considerable battery pack replacements with Tata EVs but we are also seeing other issues reported like motor, DC converter, BMS etc going bad in few occasions.

Overall I think first gen Nexon Prime and Max were/are just beta testers for TaMo's EV software testing. I think their firmwares etc were not fully QA tested, and subsequent SW releases have been fixing the issues. In the meantime, HW issues are cropping up due to bad software.

High Voltage Components of EV

Tata Curvv EV Review-highvoltagecomponentsofev.jpg

Last edited by Comrade : 14th August 2024 at 13:07.
Comrade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 13:34   #52

Quote:
• Suspension has a firm edge to it due to 18-inch wheels (top variant). Ride is liveable, but you do feel the bad roads. 17” wheel lower variants could ride better
Larger wheels ride better, smaller wheels make the vehicle more nimble.
Did you mean to say that due to the 18" wheels, the suspension has less travel to dampen the jerks?
Old 14th August 2024, 14:28   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I think Tata is not going to put out a press release regarding the hv critical alert, I think people have to have faith in the brand and buy the car. Similar to how people are buying the same dry clutch DSG which caused so many issues in the Polo and Vento but has since been relatively problem free. Hopefully they have solved it.
There should be laws requiring disclosure of issues affecting more than a specified % of vehicles, so HV critical, DSG failure, AC issues will be quantified. Then buyers will know if they are major issues or minor issues being blown out of proportion, they can then make informed purchase decisions.

I am not sure what is a reasonable % to force this disclosure, but it should be low single digits or even lower?
wocanak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 14:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anay3000 View Post
Larger wheels ride better, smaller wheels make the vehicle more nimble.
Did you mean to say that due to the 18" wheels, the suspension has less travel to dampen the jerks?
It's the other way round. Larger the rim size, usually lower the sidewall of tyre. This results in inferior low speed ride quality.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 15:31   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
It's the other way round. Larger the rim size, usually lower the sidewall of tyre. This results in inferior low speed ride quality.
You are correct in that statement, however, OP mentioned 17" rims and 18" rims, I should have known that the sidewall height was what they were referring to.

An 18" rim should ride better than a 17" rim, provided the sidewall is of the same height. I understand that the final drive ratio, ride height and steering geometry changes with change in wheel diameter at the tread. This is why the current trend to change sidewall height to keep overall diameter at the tread relatively constant, for nearer rim size changes, is such a L. It makes larger rims ornamental, rather than making them actual functional elements in improving ride quality and stability.
anay3000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 18:04   #56

I finally managed a chance to visit a TAMO showroom near my office and checked out Curvv EV as well as ICE models on display. Though, I must admit, I spent disproportionately more time drooling over the EV.

At the risk of overstating it, pictures don't to it justice. Do try if you can manage and check out any show piece in person.

Clicked a few images which answers a few questions as well as left me puzzled.

1. For starters, why this hump in the EV's rear seat..?
Tata Curvv EV Review-b12680b03856487c9573d3b3aaa07e97.jpg

2. I didn't find much of QC issues. Of course, this was a display piece and the electronics were disconnected. So only got to check out fitting and alignment.

I wasn't able to spot the color difference between the metal and plastic bumper parts, which was called out by Chetan. Neither did I get to see any panel misalignment either. Of course, this was just a showpiece, so I'll hold my judgement on this for now.

Tata Curvv EV Review-d8810651c75743c5aaa9f895774ef6f8.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-e28c9e8ceb004c13927bab3edf81d662.jpg

I did see one of the plastic aero insert on FL wheel to be slightly loose. Seems like an issue with only this piece, as others were snug and didn't budge.
Tata Curvv EV Review-237a272f7ea74802b17aeef2b858098c.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-917ad6c0a0ce496a9a3af1b727cfe0f1.jpg

3. Sadly, no rear wipers. Not sure how much of a pain point this will be. I'll wait for the user reviews.
Tata Curvv EV Review-a6b4d2edc1344c9da368845a6931a3af.jpg

4. This is a pet peeve of mine. You may or may not be bothered by the wiper sticking out on the windscreen, when looking from head on.
Tata Curvv EV Review-cd527ac4a6ff4e429df2a347a3a08418.jpg

5. For those who are wondering if ICE variant has better leg space and headroom, hope these images answer your questions. For reference, I'm 5-11 and overall of 'fluffy' size.

Tata Curvv EV Review-7f771a20e60c4de6947dda3b864df4fc.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-13c523e1ee1445afb4f82ac6f47ff27b.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-53acecbe881a4fffac92168ce8924925.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-7077ef371c2a480cb7c2c5da7e19505f.jpg

There are two positions, one where I'm tilting forward and my head is touching the scooped out area's starting. And other where I'm tilted back and my head is still hitting the scooped out area.

The head room in ICE and EV are similar. Though, in EV, my knees were higher up, albeit slightly.

6. And now, a few snaps from the user manual which I managed. It was quite busy, so had to be quick.

These could give the prospective buyers a bit of idea about what to expect during their ownership tenure.

Tata Curvv EV Review-1a08c7b58a3f49f084aa6994a8285707.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-21b6cf6516184871bba86d299aee6669.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-28177a00f30541b2a2cf1425cfa204e4.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-cd830449d7d9495db52966a8ba477124.jpg

Manual quotes : "After a maximum of four fast charging cycles, the battery pack you must use Normal charging to 100% State of Charge for the optimum performance of the high voltage battery pack."

The service intervals seem quite evenly spread out. Can someone confirm if it is same as Nexon EV or different?

# 1st Service : At 1k-2k km or 2 months (whichever is earlier)
# 2nd Service : At 7k-8k km or 6 months (whichever is earlier)
# 3rd Service : At 14.5 -15.5k km or 12 months (whichever is earlier)

Post that, the manual has intervals at 7.5k km or 6 months.
Tata Curvv EV Review-3e71efbf801943a096c7c09914f57a10.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-8cd8a962bd464e53a8aa5ab9befeaa26.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-839efad5e6004dd189eb2dfa9d939c91.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-d5366adb018c493c960912c078ccb5d4.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-e358dbd864ef47949d7a21a8268b4daf.jpg
Tata Curvv EV Review-f383532d14084c759cb6f79c191490a6.jpg

7. I liked that they have kept a clean and protected underbody. No orange HV wires or whatsoever hanging out.
Tata Curvv EV Review-deb593cfb20a466ab2e0bd013596db16.jpg

I wasn't able to do any TD, though, I'm looking forward to that.
vippul4friends is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 21:41   #57

Tata Curvv ADAS in action

https://x.com/TorqueIndia/status/1823420125892239458
Old 14th August 2024, 21:48   #58

Quote:
Here you go, you meet one owner who hasn't had it after driving 33k kms in 1.5 yrs. Touchwood!!

I am not saying that it is not a problem. Just saying that not everyone has it. Also the problem seems to be reducing with newer models like Punch.EV and Nexon.EV. Hopefully the new BMS, VECU and IPC update addresses things for the older models as well.
I whole heartedly hope it stays that way for you. I followed what Tata says are the best charging patterns and my issues started from 40k Km's. It only took me 4 service visits to convince them to change the battery, mind you after a lot of arguments and talking to several managers higher up. They changed it last week. Fingers crossed that it will be a issue free motoring with this car at least for the next 5 years, because I am done dealing with Tata's nonsense service centers
NexEvOwner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 22:58   #59

Really disappointed with the rear seat space. It is worse than Nexon EV. The sales rep immediately understood my disappointment when I opened the rear door. It is like you see a promising trailer and the expectations are sky rocketing then when you go to the real movie it turns out be boring.

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th August 2024 at 23:04.
BlueGod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 00:48   #60
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

As per Tata Motors, The Curvv ev and Punch ev is based on Acti.ev platform and Nexon ev on X1 Platform.

The battery pack design of Currv ev and Nexon ev looks identical and centrally mounted. Where as, the Punch ev has well distributed battery pack.

Need expert opinion on this topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Curvv EV Review-screenshot_20240815_003151_youtube.jpg  

Tata Curvv EV Review-screenshot_20240815_003250_youtube.jpg  

Gurudatta Nayak is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks