Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2024, 00:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Curvv EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Curvv.ev has a lot going for it.

The beading on the door's bottom edge, that ensures the running board doesn't collect muck (esp. in rainy season) and mess up your clothes getting in & out. Nifty!

Attachment 2641171
This is what I say is a wonderful thought. I am frustrated with my Gen 1 Creta that spoils all my pants as the plastic board often rubs against the bottom of my pants especially when it rains and soils the lower ends of my Trousers. This way it will be a saviour to keep my pants clean!!

Tata Curvv EV Review-2020hyundaicretafaceliftrussia61068x601.jpg
DRPSREDDY is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 01:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
I have sat for a countable 2-3 times in rear seat of each car that i owned. Currently I drive a Nexon Max. 70% percent of my drive is solo, 20% is with 2 adults + 1 kid and rest 10% is with 3/4 adults and a kid. My parents (Dad is 5'9'') have never complained about the rear seat being uncomfortable over long distances, we have travelled 300 kms in a day with 4 adults + 1 kid.
Thanks for sharing your experience, this will really help prospective buyers! Also, the coupe rear legroom photo you shared, cleared my doubts!

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th August 2024 at 05:13. Reason: Trimming the quoted post to the relevant portions for better readability. Thanks!
elevator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 06:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Having said that I had a question to all those who are talking about lack of rear space

1. How much does a rear seat comfort matter in today's age of nuclear families until unless you are driven around by a chauffeur?
That should not be an excuse for a lacuna in design. I felt the same issue in the Punch EV. But when you are making a 4m plus car, you expect good legroom and rear seat comfort. The similarly shaped Basalt doesnt seem to have such issues, so hopefully Curvv.ICE may be a bit better.
Its all about design. Recently when I was shopping for my new hatchback, the Exter seemed to be perfect in terms of space, wide doors etc. But when I realised that the door sill in the rear is pretty high for parents to lift the leg and then step out, I knew this was not the car for me. On the other hand, the perceptibly cozier Swift turned out to be more efficient !
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 07:27   #34
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
I am seriously interested in Curvv EV and have been just reading up about it on the internet. Just randomly searched about Curvv on Twitter now "X.com" and this is the first thing that popped up. The car is @99% Soc and limp/creep mode function activated.

Source:- https://x.com/ExpWithEVs/status/1822194012196835705

There is video link in the Twitter post as well. https://t.co/598gq4Xghy
Ah, the noise on social media. You can just ignore sir and spend your 20 lakhs on this. For every unhappy customer with HV critical error there are a 100 happy ones with no error.
harikrishnansp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 08:18   #35

Quote:
I am seriously interested in Curvv EV and have been just reading up about it on the internet. Just randomly searched about Curvv on Twitter now "X.com" and this is the first thing that popped up. The car is @99% Soc and limp/creep mode function activated.

Source:- https://x.com/ExpWithEVs/status/1822194012196835705

There is video link in the Twitter post as well. https://t.co/598gq4Xghy
I'm a Nexon EV owner of 3 years and did 56K Km's on it, and this is a very real issue. For me it cropped up below 10 percent multiple times and twice above 10 percent. The worst part is the apathy of the service center, so much so that i had to fight with them to change my battery. Another highlight is the GM of this particular service center(Tejaswi Tata, Madhapur) in Hyderabad had the audacity to tell me that i should never go below 20% charge and this is written in the service manual.

Quote:
Ah, the noise on social media. You can just ignore sir and spend your 20 lakhs on this. For every unhappy customer with HV critical error there are a 100 happy ones with no error.
The high voltage critical error is a real issue that Tata refuses to acknowledge and its not just social media rage. Every owner of a Nexon EV I ever met has or had this this issue at some point.
NexEvOwner is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 08:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
That should not be an excuse for a lacuna in design. I felt the same issue in the Punch EV. But when you are making a 4m plus car, you expect good legroom and rear seat comfort. The similarly shaped Basalt doesnt seem to have such issues, so hopefully Curvv.ICE may be a bit better.
Its all about design.
Basalt is not an SUV coupe, it is more of a notch back. It's length is 4352 mm. 2.2 cm longer than even Creta so it is more a sedan on stilts. The observation from teambhp review. Image link

Quote:
Viewed from the side, the Basalt appears more like a notchback than an SUV Coupe. Wheels look small for the metal on top:
Moving to rear seat comfort. The seating of Basalt is more like a Sedan (lower than SUVs) hence leaving more headroom despite the sloping roof. The under thigh support is non existent, top model gets the moving cushion that will help. Teambhp review observation - Image link

Quote:
At 6’, seated behind his driving position, Ajmat had about more than enough knee room and headroom. The backrest angle is comfortable. The window area is good, and you don’t feel claustrophobic. The seat is placed on the lower side and the seat base does not stretch out much which means that the under-thigh support is inadequate:
Quote:
Recently when I was shopping for my new hatchback, the Exter seemed to be perfect in terms of space, wide doors etc.
Sorry to say Exter is not a hatchback, It is a mini suv. There is no comparison of egress and ingress between the Exter and Swift

Lastly my 91 year old grand mother travels in my Nexon Max as well. She has never had issues in egress or ingress into rear seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexEvOwner View Post
The high voltage critical error is a real issue that Tata refuses to acknowledge and its not just social media rage. Every owner of a Nexon EV I ever met has or had this this issue at some point.
Here you go, you meet one owner who hasn't had it after driving 33k kms in 1.5 yrs. Touchwood!!

I am not saying that it is not a problem. Just saying that not everyone has it. Also the problem seems to be reducing with newer models like Punch.EV and Nexon.EV. Hopefully the new BMS, VECU and IPC update addresses things for the older models as well.

Last edited by ferrarirules : 14th August 2024 at 09:10.
ferrarirules is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 08:59   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Lastly my 91 year old grand mother travels in my Nexon Max as well. She has never had issues in egress or ingress into rear seat.
As I said in my comments, ergonomics (and preferences) aren't the same for any two people, even similarly sized. Only a restricted mobility person can actually tell you how a specific design impacts them.

For reviews, we have to look at it from a 'what would an average Joe customer look for?' perspective, and I always recommend people NOT make purchase decisions based on someone else's opinion.

What might work for 99/100 people is still no good for the ONE it doesn't, so 'try before buying' applies. Always.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
On the "Rear Space" - Yes, the rear space is less. Yes, the floor is raised due to battery. If you compare the dimensions of the car with segment leader Creta, the difference is quite obvious.

snip
Having said that I had a question to all those who are talking about lack of rear space

1. How much does a rear seat comfort matter in today's age of nuclear families until unless you are driven around by a chauffeur?

I have sat for a countable 2-3 times in rear seat of each car that i owned. Currently I drive a Nexon Max. 70% percent of my drive is solo, 20% is with 2 adults + 1 kid and rest 10% is with 3/4 adults and a kid. My parents (Dad is 5'9'') have never complained about the rear seat being uncomfortable over long distances, we have travelled 300 kms in a day with 4 adults + 1 kid.
Well I agree to most of what you are saying but having less rear space or rather bad ingress-egress is a tradeoff that one should consciously make. My parents and in-laws are not very tall and being elder citizens the raised floor (not the height of the ceiling) makes it complicated. Similarly I had a bout of back pain (trap muscle) for about 1 month when getting into the driver/front seat was painful (back seat was marginally better). I am about 5 feet 8 inches and one has to bend ones neck to get into the seat and it gets uncomfortable.

The battery pack and the coupe design actually makes things difficult and there is very little room to play around with but the ingres-egress issue is real (at least in Nexon EV max). It is a trade off that we made considering the other aspects of the car but I can very well see people not willing to make this tradeoff.
electric_eel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What might work for 99/100 people is still no good for the ONE it doesn't, so 'try before buying' applies. Always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
It is a trade off that we made considering the other aspects of the car but I can very well see people not willing to make this tradeoff.
I agree. It is not one size fits all. As people said rear space was not good and it is a deal breaker but for my use case it is not. That is why I gave my perspective citing the reasons.

Rest lets see the sales number in September and the reception the car gets.
ferrarirules is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:41   #40

Quote:
I recently encountered this issue on my TATA Nexon EV Max. The most frustrating part is that despite contacting TATA customer care two weeks ago, no one has followed up to discuss the next steps. As long as the car runs smoothly, everything is fine, but dealing with TATA service is a nightmare when problems arise.

The Curvv EV looks like a good car at an attractive price and I am seriously considering it but my experience with TATA Service, the HV critical error, and poor fit and finish gives me second thoughts. 2025 should see a lot of EV's being launched from different manufactures so will wait and see what happens.

On the Curvv EV, I wonder if the 17 inch (vs the 18 inch) wheels will be better for Indian roads; smoother drive and better efficiency.
rogues is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 10:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogues View Post
On the Curvv EV, I wonder if the 17 inch (vs the 18 inch) wheels will be better for Indian roads; smoother drive and better efficiency.
Definitely on my mind in case I go for it. I would be willing to exchange 18” wheels/tires with 17” if any fellow buyer of lower EV variant in Bangalore is willing to do so. By the way, are wheel designs same (within EV models, I didn’t like ICE alloys)?

I agree with your other thoughts too.
santosh.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 10:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Was there any other color on display was this issue in that color as well?

On the "Rear Space" - Yes, the rear space is less. Yes, the floor is raised due to battery. If you compare the dimensions of the car with segment leader Creta, the difference is quite obvious.

Creta dimensions - 4330x1790x1635 Wheelbase - 2610
Cruvv dimensions - 4310x1810x1637 Wheelbase - 2560

Creta is 2 cm longer and has 5 cm longer wheelbase. So ideally they should have liberated 3cm more wheel base. Why they couldn't, is due to the coupe design. As you increase the wheelbase, you will have to increase the height of the car as well so that the head room remains the same. This might have stopped the designers from taking it too far.

In the recent review of GLC 43, teambhp had the similar observation when comparing it with GLC300 - Image link

THANK YOU for spelling it out for everyone whining about rear space. This is aimed at younger, nuclear families who want something stylish which will make them unique and stand out amongst the Cretas and Seltoses and Nexons.

This is purely aimed at the city-dweller who takes it to office 5-6 days a week and goes for an outing at night and outskirts in the weekend. This is not for a family of 5 fully grown adults, the word "coupe" should tell people that clearly. If you are 6'2" and buying the car, why are you sitting in the back anyway? This is not a chauffer driven car. And they've loaded it with all kinds of tech.
The only fly in the ointment is the servicing. If that's sorted, this will be a rage in Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities.

Edit: Look at the BW X4/X6 versus the X3/X5. People with old people in the family who have limited mobility will not buy an X4 or X6, it doesn't make sense for them. The main reason is the (polarizing) looks. Even a car like the Mercedes CLA or CLS, with 4 doors, the rear headroom is extremely limited.

Last edited by HartBandit : 14th August 2024 at 10:21. Reason: Added text.
HartBandit is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 11:38   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I generally hate the look of coupe-styled 4 door cars, be it the BMW 3GT, 6GT or the high-end Coupe SUVs from German carmakers. Strangely though, the Currv EV got my attention and I actually like the design. Tata is proving that its design team is far bigger than Pratap Bose, after churning out so many beautiful cars (Safari Facelift, Punch EV etc.). In fact, Tata seems to be doing just fine without the gifted designer.

Have driven the Punch EV & Nexon EV Facelift - loved both. I have to admit, if I were looking at an EV in the segment, I'd be a bit confused between the Nexon Long Range & Curvv EV. But I'd go with the Curvv because of the latest tech, more features, 400+ km driving range, large boot...and who can argue with 165 horses for 20 odd lakhs ? The biggest bummer I see is the rear seat space, but my garage includes cars with a poor rear seat experience (530d, Thar) and an awesome one (Superb, Sunny), so I could manage it. This is the no.1 dealbreaker I see if the Curvv were to be the single car in a family with tall people. 2nd dealbreaker would be the niggles & issues with Tata cars. Whenever I recommend a Tata EV to anyone in my circle (and I do a lot of them), the accompanying comment usually is "great car, just be prepared to deal with niggles & headaches from time to time".

Why Coupe styling? Is Tata worried about cannibalization? Sharing a related post from the pre-launch days:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Such car designs will always be polarizing. Tata knows that 50% of the market will love it, 25% will dislike it and 25% will absolutely hate it.

Doesn't matter. That is the intention. You'd rather have a bold design that stands out in the market, rather than something boring that sinks (e.g. Honda Elevate).

We have to understand Tata's aspirations here. They want more volumes & increased market-share. For that, they need more & more products in the hot SUV / Crossover segments. The Punch, Nexon, Harrier & Safari nicely cover the SUV / Crossover market from the 10-lakh segment, all the way to 30-lakhs. But there is room for more products, in particular something more premium & modern feeling than the Nexon. This is similar to Mahindra planning the 4-door Thar, despite overlaps with the 2-door Thar, Scorpio-N, XUV700 etc. If you have the R&D capability & marketing bandwidth, by all means, carpet-bomb the hot market segments! Maruti does this in the cheap hatchback market.

It's going to have an EV version, Diesel AT (no lousy AMT, apparently), Petrol AT etc. Tata is clearly going all out. I, for one, am greatly looking forward to the Curvv and what it does to the market, even though I personally don't like this Coupe SUV body styling.

Recent Tata cars all drive well, in particular the Punch EV, Safari Facelift, Altroz Racer etc. I'm very hopeful that trend continues with the Curvv.

Two additional points:

- This is the kind of car that market leader Maruti-Suzuki simply doesn't have the capability to build - Related Thread (Maruti-Suzuki suffering an "Intel Chip-Like" situation? Out of tune with emerging market preferences).

- Got to respect how Tata puts up the toughest fight to the formidable Hyundai-Kia duo. Maruti doesn't know how to, Mahindra smartly avoids direct confrontations with its large body-on-frame SUVs (rare exceptions like the XUV 3XO) while Honda, Toyota are shadows of their yesteryear forms.

Last edited by GTO : 14th August 2024 at 12:03.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 11:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
Does the Curvv also have the problem of not charging more than 4 consecutive DC Fast Charges?
This is the only problem that have been having with my Nexon EV.
Would love to upgrade to Curvv mainly due to the enhanced range but it won’t be of much use if the battery tech is the same.
I have this exact same question. As per a sales guy the deliveries are starting from 23rd and I would like to check the manual before I make any decision. Windsor EV is being launched on Sept 11 so I would be taking a decision only after checking out the deal + FC guidelines applicable on Curvv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishnansp View Post
I am an existing TM customer. I have a Nexon EV XM from TATA Motors already.

Although I agree that there may be a 1:100 ratio but I know first hand how difficult it is to get things done at TM service centres if I am the chosen one.

Quote:
I went for a hike one morning and the car was parked in direct sunlight for less than an hour. I come back from the hike and the dreaded HV issue popped up. I was lucky that it went away after restarting the car but it still gave me a scare.

I dont see check engine light popping up randomly on other cars that I own.

Also that red light on car charger is not linked to poor earthing at all. I got a replacement charger and it worked fine even during peak summer and the faulty one used to give away within 15 minutes.
psbali is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 11:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Isn’t it a funny twist of fate that most mainstream Indian auto journalists seem to be of robust build or on the plusser size of measurements, than your average desi mango man?

It's almost like a covert plot to ensure car manufacturers step up their ergonomic game—after all, if your car seats can comfortably accommodate a well-blessed journalist, they’ll surely fit the rest of us! It’s like our journalistic heroes are the living embodiment of ‘bigger is better’ while slowly pushing the auto industry towards international standards—one cushy seat at a time!

(PS: light hearted humour, no offence meant to anyone!)

Last edited by shortbread : 14th August 2024 at 11:56.
shortbread is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks