Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2024, 21:25   #1
BHPian

Did the unthinkable - Ran my EV to 0% charge level

So I was on my way back from Udupi to Bangalore yesterday, and did my usual stop at Hotel skybirds near Hassan. A 40 min charge here is good enough to get me home. For some strange reason, I stopped charging after 25 mins, thinking I will stop for chai at Paakshala Yediyur and charge for another 15 mins while sipping chai and taking a restroom break. As I got closer to Yediyur I felt over confident that I will reach Bangalore without taking the second charging break. As I touched Hebbal I was at 13% and 20 km more to go. Not bad I thought. When I crossed KR Puram the SoC had dropped to 8% with 8 KM to go. When I reached Rainbow children’s hospital I was at 5% and had 6 km to go. That’s when fear gripped me that my calculations were going awry. The SoC was plummeting fast and the usual math of ~3km for a percentage was not holding good. Just managed to reach Bagmane Solarium and reversed into a shell recharge bay and the battery went 0%. I was just 2 km away from home but would’ve got stranded if I did not make this stop.

Moral of the story: Don’t be overconfident or stupid. Charge when you can

For the interested, here’s how the bottom fell off the last 5% where all math fails!
Attached Thumbnails
Did the unthinkable - Ran my EV to 0% charge level-img_1992.jpeg  

navinmra is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 21:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Did the unthinkable - Ran my EV to 0% charge level

Yeah, there is no bravado in running the battery down to the last %. Just avoidable stress. It is for good reason that the car goes into tortoise mode at 10%. The calculation should be to reach home without going that low.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 22:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
Moral of the story: Don’t be overconfident or stupid. Charge when you can.
Just curious, had you run out of juice fully and the car stopped on the road, what would you have done?

Tow it to the nearest charging point or home? Flatbed it? Portable generator?
Geo_Ipe is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 22:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Just curious, had you run out of juice fully and the car stopped on the road, what would you have done?

If it's in the city, and you are a few meters away from a charging station, switch it to neutral while the electronics is still powered up. If the car has a tow hook, you can tow it with the help of a friend's car. Or, get someone to push the car, or get someone to drive, and you push the car. It's important to do all this while you are still at 1% charge, and not wait till electronics also go off, where you cant switch drive modes, power steering, brakes etc. On a Tesla at 0% limp mode, main batteries and AC does not work. But in dash electronics keeps working for you to put the car in tow mode.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 5th August 2024 at 22:28.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 23:10   #5
BHPian

I think you have the Punch.ev the range drop at the last few % is not normal. At the limp mode even my humble Tiago does 2.7-3% per charge I’ve reached home with 1% battery and the range has always been super predicable. Please report your issue to Tata motors.
mally2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 23:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The SoC was plummeting fast and the usual math of ~3km for a percentage was not holding good. Just managed to reach Bagmane Solarium and reversed into a shell recharge bay and the battery went 0%. I was just 2 km away from home but would’ve got stranded if I did not make this stop.

Moral of the story: Don’t be overconfident or stupid. Charge when you can

For the interested, here’s how the bottom fell off the last 5% where all math fails!
People who know me can vouch for how boring (in a good way is how I would like to think about it) a driver I am, yet even I cannot tolerate the tortoise mode on Nexon EV Max. I have gone below 10 % SoC a few times due to that Anand Kulkarni video which says it is a good thing to do but hated it every single times. I do not understand the rational for (bottom balancing ?) this suggestion. But what I understand is that bottom balancing is almost impossible to do without discharging the battery to 0% SoC.

So for me 10% is the new 0% SoC.
electric_eel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 09:27   #7
BHPian

Re: Did the unthinkable - Ran my EV to 0% charge level

Thank you for sharing this experience.

I live in an apartment in Bangalore. If I plan to buy an EV Car, do I need any special connection from BESCOM or is it simply extending a wire from my Electricity meter and arrange a plug point at my parking ?
Please share your views on this.
Old 6th August 2024, 09:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1815 View Post
If I plan to buy an EV Car, do I need any special connection from BESCOM or is it simply extending a wire from my Electricity meter and arrange a plug point at my parking?
No separate BESCOM connection required. A simple line from your meter to your parking lot will do. Tata Motors will set it up complementary for you (if the line is not too long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
So for me 10% is the new 0% SoC.
I couldn’t agree more. That said, I quickly went to TaMo service to do a battery health check. Thankfully no insulation voltage breakdown and SoH still at 100%. I have learnt my lesson!

Did the unthinkable - Ran my EV to 0% charge level-img_2286.jpeg

Quote:

At 10% I actually stopped to see how far away from home I was and what chargers are on the way. But out of pure stupidity and over confidence I thought I will make it home based on the 3km for 1% rule.

Going forward, here’s what I will do:
  1. Don’t count on the last 10% at all, as @electric_eel says
  2. Review all chargers on PlugShare when I am at 20% especially on the highway
  3. Call the charging station to see if they are online
  4. Stop driving and pull over at 5% at a safe spot and look for help instead of getting stranded at 0% smack in the middle of traffic
  5. Get the car into neutral, turn off auto hold and turn off the car. Turn on when it’s time to load it into a flatbed truck. I don’t think it makes sense to tow this car on rear wheels because I feel the auto brake may apply and that will be a disaster.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 7th August 2024 at 09:08. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Edit/Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
navinmra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 11:10   #9
BHPian

I agree with the last statement. Once you reach 10% limp mode, charge at the next possible option.

One question, at 0% was the electronics of the car working? Were you able to switch N -> D or was the cluster turned on?
sharathkamath04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 11:19   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Unfortunately, towing is not an option for EV's. The Eddy Currents generated will damage the motor if towed. It has to be flat bedded. Portable Generator also is an option.

This is in EV's which doesn't support towing, which is most of them.
dhanushs is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 11:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1815 View Post
Thank you for sharing this experience.

I live in an apartment in Bangalore. If I plan to buy an EV Car, do I need any special connection from BESCOM or is it simply extending a wire from my Electricity meter and arrange a plug point at my parking ?
Please share your views on this.
I live in an apartment and have setup a plug point in my parking spot by extending the wire from my meter.

Please refer to the BESCOM guidelines on this, they have created this website to provide all regulatory guidance on this meter: link

BESCOM also provides a special LT-6 EV tariff which is cheaper than regular LT2 supply in energy price but the fixed charges will mean that for most regular consumers, it won't make sense financially.
shyampsunder is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 12:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Unfortunately, towing is not an option for EV's. The Eddy Currents generated will damage the motor if towed. It has to be flat bedded. Portable Generator also is an option.

Motor is in the front axle, TATA EVs can be towed with the front wheels hooked up and the rear wheels to provide ground traction.
mally2 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 12:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

My belief was that one can tow, and it actually uses regen to recharge battery. I have seen some videos in youtube to this effect. But an extensive analysis from experts is welcome.
privin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 12:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I couldn’t agree more. That said, I quickly went to TaMo service to do a battery health check. Thankfully no insulation voltage breakdown and SoH still at 100%. I have learnt my lesson!
Looks like you are agreeing with an ignorant fool. Be warned

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5817581 (Nexon EV Max: My first niggle after 32K kilometers)
Old 6th August 2024, 12:58   #15

I own a Punch EV LR which has a failed battery in the first week after 500km of ownership. Based on my experience, the best way to carry an EV is flat bed truck.

Let me share what i have done in the four instances, the car failed on me.

Instance 1: we were very near our home and thankfully a plain road. Put the car in nuetral and pushed it home.

Instance 2: I was away around 15km from home and had to call an RSA. The tow-truck managed to tow it on front wheels with rear wheels lifted, as the elctronic parking brake has locked the rear wheels.

Instance 3: Again battery lost charge shortly from home and pushed it keeping in nuetral.

Instance 4: This time the HV critical error has popped up and the car failed 90kms away from home. This time called an RSA and they have sent the flat-bed. Car some-how managed to start and climbed the flat-bed with its own power, with charge dropping rapidly from around 35% to 28% and sent to the service station.
Battery replaced in 10 days time and the vehicle is normal from then.

Now, i make sure to find a charging spot before it reaches 20% on SOC and never really went below that.

Last edited by Eddy : 6th August 2024 at 13:06. Reason: Spacing and capitalisation corrections
dvskhh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks