Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2024, 14:35   #1
BHPian

Nexon EV Max: My first niggle after 32K kilometers

We got our Nexon EV Max in the month of Dec 2022 and have driven it for about 32K kilometers so far and the ownership has been problem free. The first niggle has popped up now, with the charging gun refusing to unlock (home charging).

Now we all know that the Nexon EV Prime (the first generation Nexon EV) has this silly design of the charging port where dirt accumulates in the wheel well and prevents the unlocking mechanism from working. But I thought the problem was solved in Max (or so they said) and they have added a button on the driver console to unlock the gun. Tt looks like it has not been workout fully. The solution of course is to manually unlock by pulling a "ring" in the rear wheel well. After cleaning the wheel arch I took it to the service center and everything worked well there.

I charged the car up to 100%SoC yesterday but it was flashing some error (intermittently) but otherwise charged fine. For unlocking I had to again do things manually. Looks like the lock/unlock mechanism has some problem and I need to fix this.

1. Any one else faced this problem ?

2. How does one clean this part of the wheel well ? Do not want to pressure wash this area due to the location of the charging port.

Last edited by electric_eel : 5th August 2024 at 14:49.
electric_eel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 15:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nexon EV Max: My first niggle after 32K kilometers

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
I charged the car up to 100%SoC yesterday but it was flashing some error (intermittently) but otherwise charged fine. For unlocking I had to again do things manually. Looks like the lock/unlock mechanism has some problem and I need to fix this.
I think it is all to do with the charging port getting accumulation of dust and grime in the monsoon season. I think the wash should remove the same.
Old 5th August 2024, 15:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
I think it is all to do with the charging port getting accumulation of dust and grime in the monsoon season. I think the wash should remove the same.
I hope so. But it is a bad design. In any case how safe is it to do this manual unlocking particularly when you cannot really see what you are doing. A normal 230 volt AC shock is bad but there is a hope of surviving. I would not want to do this manual unlocking when connected to a DC fast charger.
Old 5th August 2024, 16:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope so. But it is a bad design. In any case how safe is it to do this manual unlocking particularly when you cannot really see what you are doing. A normal 230 volt AC shock is bad but there is a hope of surviving. I would not want to do this manual unlocking when connected to a DC fast charger.
There is no active current when charging is over. There is no possibility of reverse current as this car is not capable of the same.

From a design standpoint, they should have used a wheel arch lining for the rear as well. With the charging ports moving to the front, this problem is going to be reduced.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 19:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:

1. Any one else faced this problem ?
Facing the same issue with my Nexon.EV 2023. Visited SC yesterday, they said actuator will be replaced under warranty and the part will take ~10 days to arrive.
Old 5th August 2024, 21:02   #6
BHPian

I had this in my first few months. I had become a pro at unlocking with the ring! It miraculously disappeared later. Perhaps, the actuator started working smoothly after a couple of lock/unlock actions
Old 5th August 2024, 22:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
I had this in my first few months. I had become a pro at unlocking with the ring! It miraculously disappeared later. Perhaps, the actuator started working smoothly after a couple of lock/unlock actions
God knows what other features hide behind the "ring".
Old 6th August 2024, 09:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
God knows what other features hide behind the "ring".
I spoke too quickly. The "ring" has struck back. Today the SoC dropped from 38 to 22 in a matter of approx 10 km with Wh/km still showing 103 Wh/km. Based on the calculation
I seem to have about 1 Kwh for 15 % SoC which is terrible. Let us see how Tata handles this. KVR Palakkad is my service centre; so far when the car had no problems they have been good.
Old 6th August 2024, 13:26   #9

Quote:
I spoke too quickly. The "ring" has struck back. Today the SoC dropped from 38 to 22 in a matter of approx 10 km with Wh/km still showing 103 Wh/km. Based on the calculation
I seem to have about 1 Kwh for 15 % SoC which is terrible. Let us see how Tata handles this. KVR Palakkad is my service centre; so far when the car had no problems they have been good.
I have faced this issue twice, it generally happens when I seldom charge my vehicle above 35% (FC/SC does not matter), i guess the bms's cell balancing logic needs to be adaptive.
Old 6th August 2024, 13:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedapproach View Post
I have faced this issue twice, it generally happens when I seldom charge my vehicle above 35% (FC/SC does not matter), i guess the bms's cell balancing logic needs to be adaptive.
Baring once or twice I have always charge to 100% SoC. So usually it is <20% Soc all the way up to 100%Soc. I do not think that is the problem (let us see what the Service center says) but my best guess is that it has got to do with the gun locking not working properly.
Old 6th August 2024, 14:02   #11
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I have been facing this trouble for last two weeks, this morning also unlocked getting my hands dirty under in the wheel well & the muck. Sent the car yesterday Puneet Auto (Mumbai) & they said part will take 5 days to arrive.

The reason for sending is that earlier it used to only "not disconnect" the actuator gun but last two charges I've seen it doesn't always engage either. One time I put the car for charging all night, as usual the 3rd light blinking of the 3 lights on the home charger. Woke up next morning to find the car not charged at all!

Also, cleaned the wheel well with pressure washer around the ring but it made no difference. Next time with the clean well, the actuator still didn't disconnect

So I've enquired about extended warranty for the car, ours is a Sept'22 car with 45k kms on the clock. The price they quote is attached, doesn't it look high?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Nexon EV Max: My first niggle after 32K kilometers-whatsapp-image-20240805-12.43.26.jpeg  

RJK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 16:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
I have been facing this trouble for last two weeks, this morning also unlocked getting my hands dirty under in the wheel well & the muck. Sent the car yesterday Puneet Auto (Mumbai) & they said part will take 5 days to arrive.

The reason for sending is that earlier it used to only "not disconnect" the actuator gun but last two charges I've seen it doesn't always engage either. One time I put the car for charging all night, as usual the 3rd light blinking of the 3 lights on the home charger. Woke up next morning to find the car not charged at all!

Cheers
Yes it started with not disconnecting, then not connecting while charging with intermittent error message. Now I have a SoC drop (The 10 Km office ride usually gets done with about 3 % SoC; today it saw a drop of 16%). Did you have an SoC Drop as well ?
Old 6th August 2024, 22:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi are you saying that your SOC drop, and a steep one at that has something to do with the gun getting stuck? I’m not sure if I am following this. Could you please elaborate the issue? Also what model of car this is?
Old 6th August 2024, 23:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
Hi are you saying that your SOC drop, and a steep one at that has something to do with the gun getting stuck? I’m not sure if I am following this. Could you please elaborate the issue? Also what model of car this is?
My car is Nexon EV Max (Dec 2022).

Today had an SoC drop from 38-22% in a matter of 10 kms (marked in red in the zconnect graph). I charged the car till 48 % SoC at my office and dropped it off at the Service center on my way back home (Service center is a walking distance from my home). The drive back to the service center was normal (only a drop of about 2% SoC as expected as marked in green).
Attached Thumbnails
Nexon EV Max: My first niggle after 32K kilometers-curve1.jpg  

Old 6th August 2024, 23:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
My car is Nexon EV Max (Dec 2022).

Today had an SoC drop from 38-22% in a matter of 10 kms (marked in red in the zconnect graph).
The graph looks odd especially when you look at the corresponding speed graph showing it go up linearly over 10 km. Even more odd when you say that AEC on the dashboard did not go up through this time. Points to some leak. Definitely worth investigating through a diagnostic report.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks