Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2024, 14:02   #481
BHPian

Re: MG Cloud spotted testing in India. EDIT: Named Windsor

Not in the market for an EV, but I absolutely love how chic it looks. Stands out without 'seeming-to-try'.
The BaaS calculations assume a minimum usage of 1500km, which does put off people with limited city-only usage. For instance, covering 1500km in Bangalore will take me 2-3 months, if not more :-D

I do wish there's an option of buying the car outright as well, albeit at a higher cost, even for 17-20 big ones, this looks the part
Deamon0508 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 14:09   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
How does it fare in terms of build quality/crash safety against Tata cars? For other aspects, I do tend to agree.
It's difficult to comment on cars whose safety ratings haven't been tested yet. Simply extrapolating the ICE Tiago's crash rating to that of its EV version is not as straightforward as some people make it out to be. But generally speaking, both MG and Tata have cars in their portfolios that are quite safe.
MotoBlip is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 14:29   #483
BHPian

Hi, BaaS model is not acceptable till we know how long a person has to pay for BaaS. It has been 7 days since launch, but there is no clarity on the tenure of BaaS rental. Beside this, someone has to tell us is it possible to have two different finance companies for one vehicle i.e. loan on Windsor by X bank and loan on battery by Bajaj or Vidyut.

JSW started the joint venture with MG with a wrong business model. They should correct it asap by launching full price of the Windsor EV and clarity on BaaS tenure.
Old 18th September 2024, 15:04   #484
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Direct buy option is a welcome move and a course correction for them. Hope they announce the real ex-showroom prices soon so that we can go back and focus on discussing the car rather than baas confusions.
I think avoid buy will be the best option right now. Let the company get some innocent test mules to shell out the money and wait to see the results. If they get screwed up, we avoid buying the car. If things work out fine we think of going for it. Let us not become the sacrificial goats for MG.
White bird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 15:28   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Atleast one financer's terms looked so restrictive with a curt 'No' for additional kms. In such a situation will the car just roll to a halt ?
I have said this before and will say it again. That particular financier's terms say no charge for additional kms (maybe at a relatively higher rate of Interest compared to the other plans), not no additional kms

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...913-130457.png

Last edited by handsofsteel : 18th September 2024 at 15:31.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 15:28   #486
BHPian

Disguising a loan as a subscription is very unfair on the end client who doesn’t read the fine print. This is a very sad move by MG and looks like they haven’t learned their lesson from the edtech major who did similar.
Old 18th September 2024, 15:52   #487
BHPian

Had a chat with MG representatives regarding Windsor. Here are some points which he mentioned. If true, I might change my decision of buying an i10 grand nios and go with Windsor. At least a segment up and more than double the boot space along with 50 more bhp.

1. The 60% buyback value will be provided as Cash as well. You don’t need to buy an MG Car if you decide to get rid of this.

2. This 60% value will be provided on the basis of kms driven and on the ex showroom price. Even a badly scratched car will fetch 6L (10L ex showroom base model)

3. 3.5 rs per km is GST included.

4. No minimum driving limit if financer is Vidyut. You need a good CIBIL for that. If its above 700, you’re fine.

5. Base model is 16L on road if purchased with battery.

edit : nothing is written or announced. This is just one telephonic conversation I had with them.

Last edited by mayank4823 : 18th September 2024 at 15:56.
mayank4823 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 16:20   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
I have said this before and will say it again. That particular financier's terms say no charge for additional kms (maybe at a relatively higher rate of Interest compared to the other plans), not no additional kms

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...913-130457.png
Very clear after your reiteration but a layman (me) should not be required to derive it. I wonder how one chooses a financier over another with such varying terms. Cryptic is good as a brain teaser but not for a curious onlooker

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 18th September 2024 at 16:22.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 17:02   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Very clear after your reiteration but a layman (me) should not be required to derive it. I wonder how one chooses a financier over another with such varying terms. Cryptic is good as a brain teaser but not for a curious onlooker
Which is why I felt that the substantial Tata price cut on the eve of this launch caught these guys by total surprise. This is definitely a rushed launch with no attention to detail on any of the promotional material or the fine print etc. Things will crystallise soon and the bean counters at MG must be working overtime till the detailed reveal on 03 Oct.

If I were Tata/ Mahindra or any of the other competitors, I would be planning another startling price cut on Gandhi Jayanti. Maybe announce a BaaS for Nexon/ Punch with a sticker price of 6.99L?
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 17:05   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank4823 View Post
5. Base model is 16L on road if purchased with battery.
This is the exact reason why the hubla hoo of Rs 9.99 lakh + BaaS was done by MG. If the price of Rs.16 lakh for base model is true, it is too pricey for 38 KW car.

Today top model Tata Nexon is lower than 16 lakh ex-showroom.
ferrarirules is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 17:19   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Maybe announce a BaaS for Nexon/ Punch with a sticker price of 6.99L?
It has been 20 pages since the price was announced and I can count the number of posts about the car on my fingertips. Unless MG clears the air quickly or some automaker gets a magic idea, I have a feeling the rest of the industry are going to be pretty cautious about this kind of service at least in the immediate future.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 17:48   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
It has been 20 pages since the price was announced and I can count the number of posts about the car on my fingertips. Unless MG clears the air quickly or some automaker gets a magic idea, I have a feeling the rest of the industry are going to be pretty cautious about this kind of service at least in the immediate future.
Oh! But they do not need to sell anything as a service at all. They already have the standard/conventional all inclusive product and price advertised. Such an announcement will serve only one purpose - scuttle any prospects that the Windsor may have had. Imagine, the Nexon EV will undercut the Windsor in both forms of sticker prices. This will take away any hopes of a disruption JSW may have hoped to cause, making it yet another normal launch with the added disadvantage of having confused the hell out of themselves and everyone else. That is a handicap few recover from.
handsofsteel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2024, 22:02   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
MG India has shared an estimated ownership calculation over 3/5 years.
I think they want all of us to go and buy an ICE SUV now. Not sure what is the intention of sharing this . MG dug themselves into a hole with this launch and can't seem to find a way to come out of it.

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th September 2024 at 22:06. Reason: Trimmed the quoted post to the relevant portions for better readability. Thanks!
Old 19th September 2024, 08:30   #494
BHPian

MG Windsor EV - Cost of Ownership compared against Sonet, Venue, 3XO, Brezza and Nexon

MG Windsor EV really created turbulence in the market for EVs.

I know it is been weeks after the launch of the Windsor EV and I decided to write only when we have some decent information to pen down that can help people decide/know better about the Windsor.

What's in favor of Windsor amidst the ICE competition?
To me, its biggest plus is its ~4.3m length, wheelbase (2.7m) which is more than Creta (which is 2.61m) which is 3L costlier, spacious interior, premium interior finish, tech-packed infotainment units, aero lounge comfy seats, and of course the attractive "introductory" pricing of 9.99L without the cost of the battery.

What does the 9.99L variant offers customers:
MG has three variants - Excite, Exclusive & Essence.
It is the Ex-Showroom price of Excite that is becoming the talk of the town.

Let us see what it offers:
1. 136ps and 200Nm Electric Motor,
2. Spacious cabin that is a byproduct of the 4.3m length, 2,1m width and 2.7m wheelbase,
3. LED automatic Headlamps (cornering LEDs are reserved for the higher variants) & LED Tail lamps,
4. R17 Steel Wheels with Wheel Covers,
5. Flush Door handles,
6. Plastic Dashboards with arm-rest alone covered in leather,
7. Fabric Seats with adjustable headrests for both front and back(Honda City are you hearing!!) & ISO Fix Mounts along with 60:40 for the rear,
8. 7" LCD Digtal instrument cluster and the 10.1" infotainment unit (what we see in the media drives are 8.8" LCD cluster and 15.4" infotainment FYR)
9. Tilt and telescopic steering with Cruise Control and E-Shifter,
10. Smart Entry System & PEPS,
11. All power windows with one-touch up and down,
12. Fully automatic climatic control.
13. Rain Sensing Wipers

Above all, what excites me in this Excite variant is the 6Airbags, ESP, Hill Start Assist, Hill Decent Control, 3-point seat belts, seat belt reminder for all seats, ISO Fix mounts, disc brakes on all 4 wheels, EPB and Indirect TPMS.

The only downside about Windsor is its Chinese stakes in the brand, the Chinese car (Cloud EV) it is based as it does bring a polarising front looks and a bit of a Crossover + MPV styling. JSW partnership is boiling down the Chinese aversion that customers towards the brand. Hope this continues to improve.

I have made a small video on the quick walkaround collage and the cost of owning a Windsor EV compared to the traditional ICE cars.
Here is the link to the video -

Let us look at the financing options shared by MG first (thanks to V3Cars for this):

Here is a quick byte on the financing options:
MG Cloud spotted testing in India. EDIT: Named Windsor-whatsapp-image-20240919-7.12.39-am.jpeg

So for anybody who is going to drive >1,500kms, it makes sense for them to choose, Hero or Vidyut. I am skeptical about that 9% interest rate that these financial vendors are mentioning (if it is a fluctuating Rate of Interest or a fixed one). Moreover, what is the tenure for which this rental will be applicable is unknown as well.

MG needs to clarify the above along with the option for the customers to buy Windsor with the cost of battery packaged in their ex-showroom. I assume the base 9.99L pricing will go up to 12.99-13.49L including the cost of battery.

Below is a quick workout made comparing MG Windsor EV's cost of ownership against the ICE in the same price bracket.

Straight-up, if the running is <1.5k km a month and your drives are highway dependent, Windsor may not be the apt vehicle for you.

Points considered are below:
For Windsor EV:
1. A Loan Amount of 6L is considered for a 5-year tenure. This brings out to be costing 12.7k/month or 1.52L/year for the owner
2. Battery Rental: 3.5rs/km is considered for 2,000kms of running. That equates to 84k/year.
3. Maintainance Cost: 0.3p/km is considered since this is an EV that equates to 7.2k/year (for 24k km running). This has disc brakes on all four wheels. We can expect a 5k for brake pads every 25k km.
4. Charging Cost: Even though MG has announced a 1year free charging in their connected network, I decided to account for the charging cost from the first year. Considered an 11rs/unit and range of 230kms. This brings it to 43.6k/year for the 24k running. (Of course, yes, we will be charging at 20%, and our full charge will take 33 units around but still decided to go with this).
5. An added advantage is these EVs do not come with a Manual. For comparison any ICE compact cross-over (well! They are not true SUVs isn't it, hope it does not hurt anybody's feelings) that has a DCT, iMT, and TC retails at a price of 13.5Lks.

All this sums up to 2.80lks/year for running MG Windsor 24k km.

Now let us see the cost of owning an ICE car in the same price bracket:
1. Loan Amount of 6L is considered for 5 years tenure. This brings out to be costing 12.7k/month or 1.52L/year for the owner.
3. Maintainance Cost: 0.6p/km is considered since this is an EV that equates to 14.4k/year (for 24k km running). Few cars like 3XO have disc brakes on all four wheels. We can expect a 5k for brake pads every 25k km.
4. Fuel Cost: Considered an optimistic 16kmpl with the Petrol Price of 101.17 (TN). This lands to 12.6k/month or 1.51Lks for the owner.

All this sums up to 3.18lks/year for running an ICE car for 24k km.

MG Cloud spotted testing in India. EDIT: Named Windsor-whatsapp-image-20240919-7.56.50-am.jpeg

With this, the owner gets a ~40k advantage of owning an EV like Windsor every year with the luxury of owning a 4.3m larger car with an unlimited battery warranty.

40k/year is a decent saving for anybody who is looking for a car in that price bracket provided their usage is within the city mostly and do occasional planned highway drives.

Also, there will be considerations where we can show the interest paid for the purchase of an EV under 80EEB in the tax filing

Notably, What adds more cost to owning an ICE is the spending on the engine, clutch+gearbox, transmission fluids, and other ICE-related wear and tear over long-term ownership of an ICE car.

Bhpians hope the comparison that I have made makes sense. Do share your thoughts on the thread.

Last edited by rudra_shiv : 19th September 2024 at 08:34.
rudra_shiv is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 19th September 2024, 11:29   #495
BHPian

Re: MG Windsor EV - Cost of Ownership compared against Sonet, Venue, 3XO, Brezza and Nexon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudra_shiv View Post

MG Windsor EV really created turbulence in the market for EVs.

Bhpians hope the comparison that I have made makes sense. Do share your thoughts on the thread.
Hi, can you please consider cost of changing all 4 tyres every 30K km (each tyre would cost close to 9000 per tyre for 17 inches wheels) as against changing all 4 tyres after 60K km in ICE SUV, then the whole idea of cost saving will vanish.

Beside, the biggest deciding factory to go for an EV is low running cost (not low acquisition cost). If a user need to pay almost same amount, which user spend on ICE, for running the EV, then buying ICE will be default choice to avoid so many ifs & buts associated with EVs.
GoBabyGo is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks