Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2024, 10:59   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Cloud spotted testing in India. EDIT: Named Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
MG Windsor will have a 604-litre boot space. In the variants, which get the subwoofer, the boot space will be 579 litres.
How did they manage to fit a 604 or 579 liter boot in a car that is 4295x1850 mm, am curious to know.

My S-Cross was 4300x1785 mm and offered 360 liter boot.

What is the catch here?

Am guessing lack of spare wheel for sure. But is that going to free up so much space?

Last thing I want to see is counter intuitive decisions like prioritizing boot space over cabin in an EV Tata did exactly that with Curvv, am hoping MG/SAIC doesn't do that with Windsor
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 12:30   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
How did they manage to fit a 604 or 579 liter boot in a car that is 4295x1850 mm, am curious to know.
The magic probably lies in how you measure the boot space.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4819030 (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)
electric_eel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 12:36   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
I knew the battery capacity well in advance, thanks to my internal sources. This is a missed opportunity by MG to not get the 50 KWh version to India. A battery smaller than Nexon EV if priced any more than 17.5 lakhs ex-showroom will be a non starter.

For the range estimation, it is always good to assume that one will get 7km/kwh blended AEC which imputes 0-100% range of around 270kms
Hi, I think MG is targeting to compete with Punch EV LR and Nexon EV with pricing of Windsor EV between 12.99 lacs to 14.99 lacs ex showroom.

In my view, with only 37.9kWh, despite the very good space management and more knee room than the competition at the back, Windsor EV will not sell more than 400 to 500 units a month, even if they price it as low as 12.99 lacs to 14.99 lacs.
GoBabyGo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 13:01   #154
BHPian

MG motors is not reading the market correctly if they don't offer the 50 kilowatts battery pack. They did the same with the comet by not offering the 25 kilowatts battery pack.

A shame!
KeepItSimple is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 13:04   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The first few minutes in the video shared in the post#137 makes it abundantly clear please. They clearly spell out in the video that the boot space is calculated after the boot cover is removed and the back bench kept upright. The spare wheel is of course missing in the shot in that image. I can already imagine Mat Watson and his animated struggle to remove the luggage from the luggage space so deep.

But to be fair to the manufacturer, we need to be mindful.
Monobox design does it have its share of benefits compared to 2 box designs.
Also in comparison to near Monobox designs like Innova, you cannot package it well enough because of the lump of engine in the front which this one doesnt have.

The masterclass of packaging in cars like the Tesla Model S and the Lucid air are well document. Lucid air has been able to liberate space more than S class inside with an external dimension closer to E Class.
rohitoasis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 13:04   #156
BHPian

Yet another teaser for MG Windsor ::

Link ::

Attached Thumbnails
MG Cloud spotted testing in India. EDIT: Named Windsor-img_1671.jpeg  

MG Cloud spotted testing in India. EDIT: Named Windsor-img_1672.jpeg  

MG Cloud spotted testing in India. EDIT: Named Windsor-img_1673.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 14:40   #157
BHPian

It is hard for me to believe that they are offering such features (great rear seats, 18inch wheels, panoramic sunroof) and yet are launching only 40kwh battery version.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 16:37   #158
BHPian

Quote:
MG Windsor EV will not get ADAS.

In the Indian market, MG have chosen to offer a 37.9kWh battery pack for the Windsor EV. This version has a claimed range of 360km on CLTC (Chinese test cycle/China Light-duty Test Cycle).

Link:
Missing full L2 ADAS is OK, especially if you can still do Adaptive Cruise and AEB on the top version. You can always brand it as intelligent safety or something like that. But, Come on MG! You cannot be blind to the fact that range anxiety is the biggest challenge for EVs in India, as our public charging infra is still developing. And the additional 12KWH to go from 38 to 50 KWH will cost less than a lac!

JSW-MG will end up losing the market by underserving the Indian consumer. Too many foreign car makers have learnt this the hard way. The 38KWH Windsor may not even beat the Punch LR on real range, hurting the positioning of the Windsor!

If JSW-MG want to offer a single battery size, bring the 50KWH. If they are worried about ZSEV with a similar 50KWH battery, well the ZS EV will get replaced soon. So, worrying about that is useless. The new ZSEV should go up to ~60KWH to compete with the brilliant BYD Atto3. Its petrol counsin, Astor, could go hybrid to fix the one major problem with MG cars in India, that they are petrol guzzlers.

MG already failed with the Comet. JSW-MG have a window to achieve scale in EVs in India, and they have this opportunity only because the govt stalled BYD's expansion in India. With Chinese investment approvals now starting to come through, JSW-MG might not get another chance at it so easily.

Last edited by guptad42 : 3rd September 2024 at 16:39. Reason: typo
guptad42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 16:48   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the Indian market, MG have chosen to offer a 37.9kWh battery pack for the Windsor EV. This version has a claimed range of 360km on CLTC (Chinese test cycle/China Light-duty Test Cycle).
Unless MG is planning to price this against the Punch EV, Windsor will be DOA with just a 38kwh battery pack. The game has moved forward, and the Curvv’s 55kwh battery and 70kw charging speed is the new baseline for the Indian mass market EVs against which all new entrants will be measured.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 18:44   #160
BHPian

Well, this is looking like anticlimactic at the moment. The rumors of getting launched in only sub 40kwh pack is such a buzz kill. I hope MG has other plans or is listening to the feedbacks and taking amends.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 09:55   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
offering such features (great rear seats, 18inch wheels, panoramic sunroof)
I hear tons and tons of complaints on sidewall bulges with R18 shod on the Platinum and Signature trims of Alcazar, when compared the R17s in the Prestige trim I own. Here is another example with Hector tyre bursts (2 tyres of my MG Hector burst on the Samriddhi Expressway) with R18s.

Given EVs take more toll on the tyres than their ICE counterparts, Am not sure if this is a feature, or a pain
Old 4th September 2024, 14:23   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Unless MG is planning to price this against the Punch EV, Windsor will be DOA with just a 38kwh battery pack. The game has moved forward, and the Curvv’s 55kwh battery and 70kw charging speed is the new baseline for the Indian mass market EVs against which all new entrants will be measured.
Perhaps they will launch the larger battery pack later? I heard that they were planning on gradually increasing localisation levels for this product and maybe the larger battery pack is one such component that will also be localised?
Old 4th September 2024, 14:43   #163
BHPian

The marketing seems to be centred around the airline business class theme, with the silhouette of a long haul plane in tow. Will be ironic if it can only go 200 kilometres between charges.
Old 4th September 2024, 21:16   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZRKR View Post
The marketing seems to be centred around the airline business class theme, with the silhouette of a long haul plane in tow. Will be ironic if it can only go 200 kilometres between charges.
Isn't Windsor being slotted under ZS EV? I thought having no ADAS-2 was in that lines.
Old 4th September 2024, 22:36   #165
BHPian

There will be an overlap of trims between the Windsor and ZS EV in all likelihood. Sure, omitting ADAS and other creature comforts for an aggressive positioning will be welcome, but I don’t think potential customers will take too kindly to it being range restricted.
BRZRKR is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks