Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2024, 07:52   #1
BHPian

Electric cars and Rodents

I am considering buying an electric car as my next car, specifically the BYD Atto 3.

Now on one of the social media platform I saw a post that in one instance rats chewed through BYD battery pack and damaged it.

So I decided to research and found similar instances of rats chewing and damaging critical components of EV cars although not many.

One of the articles mentioned that EV battery has a warm temperature while charging overnight and may be a great attraction at that temperature for rodents to make thier nests.

Now the difference between an ICE and EV car can be that in ICE apart from ignition wires which once rat chewed in my old Polo. Other wires are really not a critical component of drivetrain. In EV some of the wires may be connecting the battery to the motor etc.

Also a running ICE vehicle gets really hot under the hood and any rat or rodent will not stay there in a running car but EV doesn’t get heated I guess. So is there a chance of rodents damaging and making nests in EV spaces within the car given how common are rodents in our country.

Some expert views on access and protection on such things will help.

https://www.thecore.in/business/rode...-motor-3782516

https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/0...ver-the-damage
rkv_hunter is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 10:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Electric cars and Rodents

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
I am considering buying an electric car as my next car, specifically the BYD Atto 3.

Now on one of the social media platform I saw a post that in one instance rats chewed through BYD battery pack and damaged it.
Yeah this is one of the biggest concern that I have when it comes to cars in general. They are fertile places for rodents to make a den. And that makes it also an attraction for snakes. From what I gather from taxi drivers and other professional drivers, it is not an easy problem to solve and one needs to be very careful particularly if one leaves the car for too long.
Old 26th July 2024, 10:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post

Now the difference between an ICE and EV car can be that in ICE apart from ignition wires which once rat chewed in my old Polo. Other wires are really not a critical component of drivetrain. In EV some of the wires may be connecting the battery to the motor etc.
Agree that electric cars can have more serious consequences but even in ICE, rats can affect in multiple ways. On my cars, I had instances of rats biting intake air hose, fuel line and connection going to the power steering. In all cases the car had to be taken on flatbeds. Fuel line was scary as everytime I cranked the engine, petrol was getting sprayed all over the engine bay and it took some time for me to realise.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 13:06   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rodents can destroy your car, whether ICE or EV or Hybrid or anything. Stick to the best practices of protecting your car, and even then, remember that it is an ongoing battle with rats. What works for me = parking in a clean place (no trash or food around), AutoShine spray, VarnaSuraksha rat repellent (only in the BMW & Superb) and periodic rat poison.

Be sure to take insurance coverage for rat damage.

Rest, enjoy the drive & worry less
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th July 2024, 11:10   #5
BHPian

Keep rodents away is part of an ongoing maintenance. What's working for:

1. 3M Rodent Repellent Spray - Works well for 7-8months for only city runs. Out of town runs, 6 months
2. Get rat mesh installed in the engine and cabin bays. Works wonders even in the monsoon.
3. An obedient cat/dog that loves to your car porch
Old 27th July 2024, 14:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Keep rodents away is part of an ongoing maintenance. What's working for:

1. 3M Rodent Repellent Spray - Works well for 7-8months for only city runs. Out of town runs, 6 months
2. Get rat mesh installed in the engine and cabin bays. Works wonders even in the monsoon.
3. An obedient cat/dog that loves to your car porch
The mesh doesn't always help. Especially considering how big the rodents are these days. They fatten up and become the size of a cat.
Old 27th July 2024, 17:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is there such a thing?
Which Insurers have this cover and can anyone share their claim experience?
Old 27th July 2024, 19:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerPlanet View Post
Is there such a thing?
Which Insurers have this cover and can anyone share their claim experience?
Yes insurance providers can pay for rat damage. HDFC Ergo has an option for it. My current car and my previous Civic also had it. I had also initiated claim for rat bite in the past for my Civic and it was approved as well. However the Civic being an un-common model the parts were taking too long to be delivered at the authorized service centre. I then cancelled the claim and had the car towed to a garage for a quicker and cheaper resolution. The rat had shredded my Civics' main ignition wires and HDFC was ready to pay the replacement under claim for a cost around 30 to 40k I think. The entire harness was to be replaced but my garage guy fixed it for 8k and in 3-4 days against the 45 days waiting quoted by Honda.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2024, 10:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaknar View Post
The mesh doesn't always help. Especially considering how big the rodents are these days. They fatten up and become the size of a cat.
Curious to understand how it did not help. Any examples?
Old 28th July 2024, 10:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Rats or a rat chewed the noise insulation material below the A pillar on my sisters ZS EV few months ago. Immediately sprayed 3M rat repellent on all the wires and cables. Thankfully it didn't damage anything else.

It had done the same on my car was well. The thing I have noticed in all the years of rat ingress is that it is mostly one rat that makes a habit and routine to enter the same car and go to the same location under the hood every time. Best remedy to stop that is rat poison and pray they don't damage anything in the mean time. One also needs to keep checking under the hood often.

Last edited by tharian : 28th July 2024 at 10:56.
Old 28th July 2024, 12:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rodents can destroy your car, whether ICE or EV or Hybrid or anything. Stick to the best practices of protecting your car, and even then, remember that it is an ongoing battle with rats. What works for me = parking in a clean place (no trash or food around), AutoShine spray, VarnaSuraksha rat repellent (only in the BMW & Superb) and periodic rat poison.

Rest, enjoy the drive & worry less
I am paranoid of eating in the car because food can and gets dropped and becomes irresistible for rats. It makes me unpopular in the family but it is worth being a spoilsport than dealing with rodent damage after the fact.

Vacuuming the car every month also helps. At least you get to look under the seats and into crevices to see if there are tell tale signs of a potential rodent damage.

Inspecting the car for dampness helps, especially under the carpets. A damp and moldy car makes it rodent friendly.

In my previous Civic, Honda service was offering to put a rodent mesh in the boot where there is a flap that releases pressure when you shut the doors. I missed doing it and unfortunately had a rodent attack when the car was parked for a few weeks in a rodent infested parking lot. The ferocity of the attack was to be seen to be believed. They had chewed the floor mats, hand sanitizer bottle and even the gear knob! Thankfully no wires were chewed so I disposed it in 24 hours.

Long story short, do everything you can to keep rodents at bay and pray like hell

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks