Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Audi Q4 e-tron base trim now comes with 19" steel wheels & rear drum brakes

According to reports, German luxury car brand Audi has introduced a new base trim of the Q4 e-tron SUV, in the form of the Q4 35 e-tron. The new entry-level variant comes with a bunch of cost-cutting updates to help make it more affordable.

Audi Q4 e-tron base trim now comes with 19" steel wheels & rear drum brakes-audiq4etronbase1.jpg

The new Audi Q4 e-tron base trim comes standard with 19-inch steel wheels. Audi has also replaced the disc brakes on the rear axle with a set of drum brakes. The carmaker argues that the energy recuperation system on the EV does 90% of the braking, with the remaining 10% being handled by the discs at the front - meaning disc brakes at the rear aren't necessary. Also, the use of drum brakes helps bring down maintenance costs while reducing the risk of corrosion.

Audi Q4 e-tron base trim now comes with 19" steel wheels & rear drum brakes-audiq4etronbase2.jpg

The new Audi Q4 e-tron base trim comes with a smaller 52 kWh battery (down from 77 kWh). The new Audi Q4 35 e-tron variant is priced at $57,700 - a little over $7,000 cheaper than the Q4 45 e-tron variant.

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 23rd July 2024 at 13:12.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:33   #2
BHPian

re: Audi Q4 e-tron base trim now comes with 19" steel wheels & rear drum brakes

Imagine getting a 47L rupee car with drum brakes and steel wheels
omranga98 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omranga98 View Post
Imagine getting a 47L rupee car with drum brakes and steel wheels
Steel wheels is a big no for me, but drum brakes, I can give it a pass. For an EV, I don't think there is a need for disk brakes at rear. I have driven my EV without applying any foot brakes at all for a considerable amount of distance.
ecenandu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 14:29   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks like they're going the Tata / Hyundai way of designing steel wheels like alloys. This, IMHO is not a bad idea and looks decent. It might not scream premium but looks like getting the job done.
Sk8r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 14:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Steel wheels are a total step back. They are not anywhere near as strong nor as lightweight as alloys. Pure cost cutting measure.

Drum brakes in the rear are acceptable in a car with regenerative braking. Contrary to popular belief, drum brakes do not provide worse stopping power, they just don’t provide good brake modulation feeling and have poor brake heat dissipation. With regenerative braking taking care of downhill uses, and front disks taking care of the heavy braking, I’m willing to bet this has similar or better performance as all wheel disk brake cars.

Disks at the back on hybrid/electric vehicles are more a curse than a boon. My hybrid’s rear disks rust quite a lot due to how less they get used.
Cresterk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 19:38   #6

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Audi Q4 e-tron base trim now comes with 19" steel wheels & rear drum brakes

Should've kept the bigger battery and cut costs elsewhere (recycling analog dials or steering wheel perhaps).

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th July 2024 at 06:35. Reason: Caps and punctuation please, as needed.
clutchNgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 00:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Audi has also replaced the disc brakes on the rear axle with a set of drum brakes.
I doubt the Q4 e-tron ever had disc brakes at the rear, given that none of the MEB cars have been offered with them.
Old 25th July 2024, 11:22   #8
Team-BHP Support

Steel wheels are cool again:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-wheels-2.html (Cars that look awesome with steelies (steel wheels))
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 11:29   #9
BHPian

Might be a silly question but is there any way a well-designed steel wheel can be considered better than an alloy (keeping in mind horror stories of bent / damaged BMW alloys)?

I mean, may not be an alloy, but is it the end of the world?
Old 25th July 2024, 14:24   #10
BHPian

Cost cutting shenanigans aside, I love how the interior looks so basic, functional and to the point. No ghastly looking large screens, physical AC controls and a nice monotone color scheme. Guess I might be the only one saying this.
Old 25th July 2024, 22:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm still trying to figure out how corrosion poses a risk to only rear disc brakes notwithstanding EV's regenerative braking. Every single dab of the brakes however infrequent should result in friction of all the discs, so why then are the rear discs called out?

On a tangent, wonder why corrosion is not seen to be a concern for drums.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th July 2024 at 02:04. Reason: Typos and punctuation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks