Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2024, 13:37   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Leh in a Tata Nexon EV Max | Stuck on Kashmir highway | Charging issues

We are travelling in EV Max from Bangalore to Leh via Kashmir. The car has done about 65,000 kms with a recent battery change. And I use the car mostly on highways. 65,000 is covered in one and half year.

However today after I left Jammu with 100 percent charge, we tried to charge in BPCL en route. Charging stopped showing under voltage error and the car went into HV critical error mode. Now with ladies accompanying us we are stuck in remote highway since morning.

Tata RSA initially arranged a tow truck which would come after 4 hours. And they didn't talk anything about taxi. The tow truck guy called and said passengers cannot travel in truck. Now tata RSA is asking us to arrange a taxi on our own, and they will look after reimbursing. Point is there no taxi is available, but they could have easily arranged a taxi from the nearest city Jammu. Now they are not doing it but asking us to arrange on our own.

Even the girl who called had no idea about EV Max and asking for irrelevant questions and even said my car cannot be towed.

Not something I was looking forward to after paying so much for a car. It is now a safety issue as well. Response from Tata Motors is also very unwelcome when there is also a lady on board.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th July 2024 at 13:54. Reason: Caps where needed.
sumannandy is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 13:58   #2
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Leh in a Tata Nexon EV Max | Stuck on Kashmir highway | Charging issues

My anxiety peaked just by reading this. This is why I think I will never get adjusted to an EV with the current infra we have in this country. Atleast, not yet.

Hope you get to the nearest town safely.
RollinWheels is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 14:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Leh in a Tata Nexon EV Max | Stuck on Kashmir highway | Charging issues

You are going cross country, across mountains, in a Nexon EV. Surely, you are not doing this in the spur of the moment. You must have done plenty of homework beforehand and anticipated such things. Everyone knows that charging infra is really spotty and unreliable in the mountains. Again, it is well known that repeated back to back DC charging sessions can lead to the HV error, you should do a slow charge to 100% every once in a while. There are multiple videos online about people attempting Ladakh circuit in EVs and all of them have struggled big time. I salute your bravery and risk appetite for attempting such a drive, especially with family. But such a thing was bound to happen at some point. RSA can’t be expected to be a get out of jail card when you are out in the middle of nowhere. This one is on you, brother!

It’s like, you can’t blame Honda if your City gets stuck or damaged if you take it off roading.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 14th July 2024 at 14:37.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (84) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 14:38   #4
BHPian

Hope you get to nearest town at the earliest.

PS: Don't continue your journey after this in your car. After kashmir, you have to stop at Kargil and when I last visited there was some fixed hours of getting electricity at the hotel. It's not available 24 hours. The route you are on is one of the most treacherous route in the world and going there with an EV is a big no.
shikh_oberoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 15:00   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
You are going cross country, across mountains, in a Nexon EV. Surely, you are not doing this in the spur of the moment.
He has done 65,000 kms on the same car, that too mostly on highways. I am sure he knew what he was doing. However, the point is related to RSA. I have very bad experience of Tata RSA, it appears that the lady on his call was the same lady I was dealing with when my Safari Dicor had some electrical issue. I wanted a pick up truck and she was arranging it from 100 kms away, when I was just 35 kms away from the city centre (Hyderabad). That also never came. They did call after 6, 7 hours to check if I am still waiting for them :-)

It was raining, I took help from my friends to arrange a mechanic, who fixed it temporarily. Later, I got it rectified permanently.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 14th July 2024 at 15:02.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 15:01   #6

That's some adventure you folks have embarked on. Looking at the half glass full side, you've made it till Jammu from Bangalore. A feat to be proud of even so far. Hope you got timely assistance and all are doing safe.
nadodi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 15:06   #7
BHPian

At this point, we should not worry about pros and cons of EV on JK and Ladakh roads. If someone can help him find a way to go ahead please do.

Once he is safe and back we can debate about to avoid such issues in future.
deep_bang is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 15:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
At this point, we should not worry about pros and cons of EV on JK and Ladakh roads. If someone can help him find a way to go ahead please do.

Once he is safe and back we can debate about to avoid such issues in future.
There isn’t much that can be done. The car is showing the HV critical error. He can try removing the negative terminal for the battery for 15 minutes. But in most cases, this error is resolved only by resetting it through TASS. And the car remains unusable in meanwhile. All this has been discussed at length in the Nexon EV thread as well as in dedicated threads on the HV Critical issue.

Fact is that while HV critical error is common on the 30kwh Nexon and on Tiago EV, it is pretty rare on the Nexon Max/LR. The very fact that it has occurred and on a BLR-Leh trip points to repeated DC charging sessions with no full slow charge in between, which is a known cause of the error. The car’s manual explicitly warns against doing no more than 4 back to back DC fast charging sessions.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 14th July 2024 at 15:35.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 15:51   #9
BHPian

I have been doing AC slow charge every night. At hotels where I stop usually or in malls.That was not the issue.

Still stuck on highway.

However minutes after I posted it one gentleman reached out from Riyadh and connected me to a local person. He can arrange a cab when required. Thank you sir and thanks to team bhp.

I am however waiting at the location still because of incompetence of tata. They have not arranged a tow truck yet. Battery terminal was removed but it did not help. RSA team could have acted better manner.

And no matter what, this problem should not ever happen to anyone. There is no excuse. I have fair bit of understanding of this, but waiting in hot sun with family for seven hours does not instill any confidence in the vehicle or brand. If Tata is unable to sort this common issue they should stop selling ev. We can’t pay to be beta testers. I have not heard of this problem in mg or any other brand ev.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th July 2024 at 07:38. Reason: typo corrected
sumannandy is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 16:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Please try calling the RSA from your insurance company. Your insurance provider might have given an option for RSA. Give it a shot if Tata RSA is still unresponsive
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 16:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I am sure he knew what he was doing. However, the point is related to RSA. I have very bad experience of Tata RSA, it appears that the lady on his call was the same lady I was dealing with when my Safari Dicor had some electrical issue. I wanted a pick up truck and she was arranging it from 100 kms away, when I was just 35 kms away from the city centre (Hyderabad). That also never came. They did call after 6, 7 hours to check if I am still waiting for them :-)
Agreed, any car can break down so this is more about the RSA than the vehicle itself. And as with most service aspects, TATA unsurprisingly fares poorly on this one as well. Not just for their EV models, it seems anyone taking any TATA vehicle to such drives will have to look into alternate RSA options.

It's such a shame that these things hold back an otherwise brilliant portfolio, so hoping they will shift more focus on the after sales part.

Last edited by Noctis : 14th July 2024 at 17:16.
Old 14th July 2024, 16:56   #12
BHPian

Tata should have been more careful and sensitive to the incident. They have a new product launch coming up in a few weeks. Incidents like these will worsen their already fragile reputation.

Sir, I hope you get out of this situation safely.
linuxworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 17:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The car’s manual explicitly warns against doing no more than 4 back to back DC fast charging sessions.
OT:: Is this even legal to release the car in market with such restrictions? What if I don't have an infrastructure or as in this case, customer is not able to use slow charging. How bad is this requirement, like how much minimum time one has to charge on regular slow charger?
Turbanator is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 17:31   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Let's not start bashing up the member just because he took his EV on whatever road trip with his family. I'm sure he must have planned things out, sometimes things don't go as expected. Let's focus on helping him instead.

@Sumannandy - not sure if you have found your way out already. I can speak with a contact who might be able to help. Please keep us posted. Good luck.
Col Mehta is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 18:30   #15
BHPian

Thanks to team bhp, a car is arranged by a member. Tata has finally arranged a tow truck which is reaching almost after 8-9 hours.

Tata RSA could not respond properly. Truck is taking 8-9 hours, not acceptable. And taxi they could not arrange. They have sent water bottle though and a mechanic who is staying with me since afternoon.

This issue is more to do with BMS. Cell balancing is not an issue as I have been religious doing slow charging at night at hotel or sometimes in malls. But if there is any issue with the fast charger the car just shuts the HV system, which can only be reset from service center. First of all if for example there is fuel quality issue do we have to take the diesel or petrol car to service center? There are in built mechanism like filter. And in this case the bms should stop the ongoing charging not make the car unusable.

Secondly, the Tata guys do a simple reset. Five minutes job. Why can’t it be done by the user? May be under guidance from somebody on phone? It is not ok to make people wait for so long in the car. They are also spending money on sending truck cab fare etc.

This problem is not there in other brand ev for same chargers. How do they manage?

Last edited by sumannandy : 14th July 2024 at 18:34.
sumannandy is offline   (45) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks