Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2024, 15:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

We have a Tiago.EV in the family that's done about 60,000 Kms in about 15 months. Fast charging on hot days brings the error, and the car needs to cool down for an hour before the trip can be resumed.

The car is used both for intra-city and inter-city trips in a 70:30 ratio. While fuel cost savings are substantial, the inconvenience of the EV experience (charging, HV errors) is undeniable. EVs are not yet ready for heavy highway use in India, at least the ones from Tata Motors.

And I'm not even getting into the number of times we've had to wait outside EV charging stations because of someone in an ICE car blocking the charging point unknowingly, or power cuts on the highway, or EV chargers simply not working.

Cheers,

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
This is not an infra issue for a EV but a product issue. The same situation could be faced by any car be it ICE or EV where a critical component and just go limp. The person has done 65000 km in a year and half and would that have been possible without infra. Bad mouthing the country is a fashion these days.
EV charging infra is terrible beyond popular highway routes. And it's not a component or a car specific issue. Picture this. Our car was stuck outside a MG dealership for a couple of hours in Pondicherry because the EV charging point was blocked by a ICE car. This dealership has security guards 24X7, like most car dealerships. On a drive to Mysuru, the car was stuck at a charging point that didn't have power. On the way to Sivakasi on a hot day, the overheating warning cropped up. On a trip to Maddur, the charger point had a power cut in the middle of fast charging.

I'm not even getting into the issues our commercial EVs have faced. We use the BESCOM network, with both fast and slow charging. Our goods EV driver even had to write to the EE of a specific division after a bunch of cabbies were caught drinking outside the charging station. BESCOM banned overnight charging at that station because of this and we had to get the EE to solve this for us. It took a week for the issue to be sorted.

A Tiago.EV in my house has done 60K in 15 months. 70 % of charging has been done at home, and 5 % within big cities. The remaining 25 % done on the highway has been quite tedious.

Cheers,

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
There isn’t much that can be done. The car is showing the HV critical error. He can try removing the negative terminal for the battery for 15 minutes. But in most cases, this error is resolved only by resetting it through TASS. And the car remains unusable in meanwhile. All this has been discussed at length in the Nexon EV thread as well as in dedicated threads on the HV Critical issue.

Fact is that while HV critical error is common on the 30kwh Nexon and on Tiago EV, it is pretty rare on the Nexon Max/LR. The very fact that it has occurred and on a BLR-Leh trip points to repeated DC charging sessions with no full slow charge in between, which is a known cause of the error. The car’s manual explicitly warns against doing no more than 4 back to back DC fast charging sessions.
In that case, Tata Motors must explicitly state that EVs are not meant for long distance driving/road trips. EVs are unsuitable for highway use in most parts of India.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th July 2024 at 17:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
JayPrashanth is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 16:46   #32
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Leh in a Tata Nexon EV Max | Stuck on Kashmir highway | Charging issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
OT:: Is this even legal to release the car in market with such restrictions? What if I don't have an infrastructure or as in this case, customer is not able to use slow charging. How bad is this requirement, like how much minimum time one has to charge on regular slow charger?
Exactly what came into my mind. I can't believe they haven't even found a solution to this yet. Does continuous fast charging cause any other issue other than inaccurate range estimation or higher battery degradation? Is it critical enough to strand the users in the middle of nowhere? 🤔
Old 15th July 2024, 16:52   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Leh in a Tata Nexon EV Max | Stuck on Kashmir highway | Charging issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
OT:: Is this even legal to release the car in market with such restrictions? What if I don't have an infrastructure or as in this case, customer is not able to use slow charging. How bad is this requirement, like how much minimum time one has to charge on regular slow charger?
I am a little surprised by the reactions on this thread, for all this has been discussed at length across multiple threads elsewhere on this forum. These are all standard EV quirks. It is common public knowledge that repeated DC charging is not recommended, and this is the case across brands. Not just Tata. Look at NMC battery equipped cars like XUV400 or Ioniq5. They not only warn against repeat DC charging, but also against charging to 100% regularly. Only the BYD Blade battery equipped cars are able to handle DC charging on repeat with negligible side effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

1) The Tata EVs' notorious "HV Critical Alert", and the awful frequency at which it's been happening, and Tata's inability to let users rectify it without a service visit (despite it being a frequently faced issue).

2) Poor & terribly slow response from the RSA. And not because OP was in some remote area either - as he's mentioned the expected time vs the actual times in his post above.

... I guess that said, you could argue that OP should have known that this would be an eventuality (perhaps something like taking a Skoda DQ200 to Leh)
This is the first time I am hearing of the HV critical issue on the Max/LR. The model has been on sale for a couple of years now, and this instance apart, everything points to the issue being resolved, at least on the 40kwh Nexon. Anecdotal evidence from my local TASS also suggest the same.

RSA is usually a third party contracted service, and invariably sucks across brands. A good RSA experience should make news, not a bad one!

That’s a fantastic example.
Ultimately people buy the car for their requirements and preferences, knowing the risks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
In that case, Tata Motors must explicitly state that EVs are not meant for long distance driving/road trips. EVs are unsuitable for highway use in most parts of India.
I drive a Nexon EV LR myself, essentially the same car as the OP’s. Mine has clocked over 20000km in nine months, and has been on multiple highway trips as well as to high mountains. Whenever I take the car out of town, it is a calculated decision I am making. There is always a possibility that something can go wrong. You have to plan and hedge. Long distancing in EVs is not straightforward, and all EV owners know that.

Then again, all EV car owners tend to have additional cars as well. If you have doubts, you can always take your ICE car out.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 15th July 2024 at 16:54.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 17:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post

3. The girl who was handling initially had no clue about all theses. She was even asking random questions about the car. It was only after I escalated to somebody else things actually got moving. I had to call multiple times.
I had a very similar experience with Renault RSA. I had even paid for their RSA package. It is difficult to connect to a representative. Once connected, they try their maximum to delay sending a vehicle. Their web page to send location of the vehicle was not working properly and we had to capture and upload 3-4 pictures for them to initiate the process.
Old 15th July 2024, 17:52   #35
BHPian

I was watching MG ZS ownership review on motoroctane just three days back. The owner shared his experience with MG RSA support while stranded in a remote area. Impeccable MG RSA support blew me away. MG provided support within 15 minutes in a remote part of Ahmednagar, Maharashtra. They tow the car and arrange the Innova as a replacement until the ZS charging issue is fixed. Not only that, they also arranged an ambulance for emergency purposes. And ensured customer reached home safely while their car was towed. MG is a foreign entity that could provide RSA support in 15 minutes in the remote part of Maharashtra. Remember, when the incident happened, MG did not have a showroom or service center in Ahmednagar or nearby areas. Tata, being a local Indian brand, can definitely do better and learn from others how to be responsive and sensitive to such kinds of situations.

RSA story from 14.55 to 20.20
linuxworld is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 18:01   #36
BHPian

For all those who are trying this adventure, this is a solution which one should always consider
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Leh in a Tata Nexon EV Max | Stuck on Kashmir highway | Charging issues-easy-solution.jpg  

wheeledwanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 18:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledwanderer View Post
For all those who are trying this adventure, this is a solution which one should always consider