Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2024, 20:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Leh in a Tata Nexon EV Max | Stuck on Kashmir highway | Charging issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
2. The error I got was contract weld error. Nothing to do with slow charge after fast charge. At the time my charge percentage was 85 percent. This happens when there is an issue at the charger, does not matter what is the charging practice. Technically it may happen to any tata ev. It happened to me only once though but it left me stranded. There should be easy fix, because in the service center he just cleared the error code. Why do we need to get stranded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
The main issue is that the HV error is common and happens if the DC charger doesn't work properly. Car goes into safety mode and has to be reset by TASS. Tata engineers should give the option to end user to reset this error from the vehicle itself atleast once with the warning to not connect to the same dc charger again so that people are not left stranded in the middle of nowhere. Tata should also figure out if it can be reset remotely by the TASS team ? Maybe reset the error automatically once the user successfully charges 25% or more using a slow charger ?
This is exactly what I mentioned earlier in the thread, a person should not be stranded because of this. We as EV community shared this feedback with Tata. We have asked to provide a way that the car go into safe mode and not charge but can still move so that a person was try to reach a safer place.

Also, this issue is not limited to Tata cars. This happens in MG as well. A person faced it twice, everyone can read his experience on the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Sir, the MG ZSEV supports charging using a 15A AC socket. One can charge using the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) provided along with the car.

The charging time using a 15A AC socket are as follows
0% to 100% 18 to 19 hours
0 to 100% time mentioned by you is in correct. It will take about 22-24 hours for the MG provided EVSE to charge the car. MG EVSE works at 2.2 - 2.3 KW and Tata EVSE works at 2.6 - 2.7 KW. I know people who carry Tata EVSE with their MG because the MG EVSE is slower.
ferrarirules is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 20:30   #62

Re: Bangalore to Leh in a Tata Nexon EV Max | Stuck on Kashmir highway | Charging issues

Quote:
Let me add few things here. I travel extensively on highways in ev, south, north and east.
Secondly, it is actually possible to slow charge Nexon ev max in hotel. Full charge takes about 16 hours, so if you connect around 30 percent in the evening, next day by morning your car is ready. I have done this multiple times, and many times hotels did not charge. Mg takes about 22 hours and not feasible to do slow charge.
Thank you for the nice clarification, but just a few doubts, @sumannandy, since I have acquired a Punch.EV a month ago, and dreaming/planning a trip from Hyd to Bangalore, Hyd to Thirupathi and Chennai.

1. What is the cable specifications and *length* you use for slow-charging at hotels.
2. And generally speaking, where would these 16A plug points be commonly located in most hotels, since the cable needs to reach the EV with sufficient slack, and
3. Lastly, do you use a multimeter to check the voltage and the earthing.
Old 16th July 2024, 22:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
However today after I left Jammu with 100 percent charge, we tried to charge in BPCL en route. Charging stopped showing under voltage error and the car went into HV critical error mode. Now with ladies accompanying us we are stuck in remote highway since morning.
Sorry to hear about your situation, Jammu is my hometown if you need any help in and around please do reach out and i will do whatever is possible. Good luck on your journey. 65k in 18 months in an EV is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
You are going cross country, across mountains, in a Nexon EV. Surely, you are not doing this in the spur of the moment. You must have done plenty of homework beforehand and anticipated such things. Everyone knows that charging infra is really spotty and unreliable in the mountains. Again, it is well known that repeated back to back DC charging sessions can lead to the HV error, you should do a slow charge to 100% every once in a while. There are multiple videos online about people attempting Ladakh circuit in EVs and all of them have struggled big time. I salute your bravery and risk appetite for attempting such a drive, especially with family. But such a thing was bound to happen at some point. RSA can’t be expected to be a get out of jail card when you are out in the middle of nowhere. This one is on you, brother!

It’s like, you can’t blame Honda if your City gets stuck or damaged if you take it off roading.
I don’t see the point of answers like these on a forum which is meant to help each other. The guy has done 65k in his EV across terrains; he obviously knows this basic stuff you have shared.
If you don't have anything helpful to offer, why not let the post go.

Be it an EV or ICE vehicle having an issue, obviously as an owner he will reach out to the company and nearest dealer. Thats not called a ‘get out of jail card' it’s the basics of customer service.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th July 2024 at 09:06. Reason: Minor edit.
Ksingh544 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 10:32   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation, Jammu is my hometown if you need any help in and around please do reach out and i will do whatever is possible. Good luck on your journey. 65k in 18 months in an EV is amazing.

I don’t see the point of answers like these on a forum which is meant to help each other. The guy has done 65k in his EV across terrains; he obviously knows this basic stuff you have shared.
If you don't have anything helpful to offer, why not let the post go.

Be it an EV or ICE vehicle having an issue, obviously as an owner he will reach out to the company and nearest dealer. Thats not called a ‘get out of jail card' it’s the basics of customer service.
I wouldn't be too quick to label this as victim shaming, like you're trying to do to here. Let me explain...

Yes, this forum is about helping each other with our shared knowledge and collective wisdom and yes, we absolutely should hold the manufacturer responsible for what the product promised to deliver.

But this forum is also about cultivating the right attitudes about vehicle usage, giving personal safety the highest priority. Viewed from that lens, I think what Shreyans_Jain says is entirely reasonable.

Consider these facts:
- EV is a newer and less mature technology, even in the west, where last winter, they woke up to the fact that EV range gets depleted FAST in sub-zero temps!
- Tata Motors is no paragon of quality, reliability or customer service. You may expect the best from them, but common sense should nudge you towards preparing for the worst.
- A cross-country road-trip (EV/ICE notwithstanding), and that too without a companion car and while being accompanied by family does need some planning and preparation, which the OP seems to have fallen short on in this instance.
- In embarking on such a journey in an EV (a Tata one at that), you're essentially betting on nothing going wrong and on a host of external factors going your way - charger network, charger availability when you need it, Tata RSA being at your beck and call through the length of the country, etc.! - There's a fine line between being optimistic and being foolhardy, and in this instance I think we can reasonably conclude that that line has been crossed. Just my two cents, I could be wrong...

Last edited by vijaysrk : 17th July 2024 at 10:42.
vijaysrk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 10:50   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaysrk View Post
I wouldn't be too quick to label this as victim shaming, like you're trying to do to here. Let me explain...

Yes, this forum is about helping each other with our shared knowledge and collective wisdom, and yes, we absolutely should hold the manufacturer responsible for what the product promised to deliver.

But, this forum is also about cultivating the right attitudes about vehicle usage, giving personal safety the highest priority. Viewed from that lens, I think what Shreyans_Jain says is entirely reasonable.

Consider these facts:
- EV is a newer and less mature technology, even in the west, where last winter, they woke up to the fact that EV range gets depleted FAST in sub-zero temps!
- Tata Motors is no paragon of quality, reliability or customer service. You may expect the best from them, but common sense should nudge you towards preparing for the worst.
- A cross-country road-trip (EV/ICE notwithstanding), and that too without a companion car and while accompanied by family does need some planning and preparation, which the OP seems to have fallen short on in this instance.
- In embarking on such a journey in an EV (a Tata one at that), you're essentially betting on nothing going wrong, and on a host of external factors going your way - charger network, charger availability when you need it, Tata RSA being at your beck and call through the length of the country, etc.! - There's a fine line between being optimistic and being foolhardy, and in this instance I think we can reasonably conclude that line has been crossed. Just my two cents, I could be wrong...

Fisrtly this is not "victim shaming", lets avoid using these Gen Z terms which dont mean anything and are a lazy labelling to avoid a nuanced discussion. This is an honest an open discussion, which Team BHP is the gold standard of.

The person has travelled from Bangalore to Leh and previously done 65,000 kms across India in his EV. Do you think that is all without planning?
From his post its clear he had planned out his charging stops along the way, based on infrastructure available enroute.

I agree with you that EV tech is new and can have issues, like the one quoted from the winter in the US.
I would like you to understand this issue happened in Udhampur which is in the foothills of Jammu in July when the average tempertaure there is about 35-40 degrees.

A companion car ? Im sorry which Indian family has a backup car on its road trips. Lets live in the real world please.

From his post its clear he only reached out to the RSA when the car broke down, how is that being on beck and call. That is literally the RSA's job.

I agree Tata vehicles do have issues but does that mean that a customer that has paid close to 20L for his vehicle, just keeps it at home ?
The person in question here has travelled across the country. He will obviously only do that if he has confidence in his vehicle.

My point is very simple, a person is stranded on a cross country drive with his family in unfamiliar territory. Instead of reaching out to offer help, lets please stop berating him on how all this is his own fault and he is being "foolhardy"
When any of us are in trouble we are looking for help not "gyaan" which offers no value and doesnt solve anything.
I know social media has made everyone feel they are experts and social commentators, but try and plug out and come back the real world.
Ksingh544 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 11:05   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Fisrtly this is not "victim shaming", lets avoid using these Gen Z terms which dont mean anything and are a lazy labelling to avoid a nuanced discussion.

I know social media has made everyone feel they are experts and social commentators, but try and plug out and come back the real world.
I will wait and let other members chime in before offering my rebuttal. Thank you.
vijaysrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 13:22   #67

Reading all the comments here, i feel that many folks here believe that an ICE car which has done 65,000 KMs already and is being driven from Bangalore to the unforgiving Himalayan roads cannot break and it's the fault of an EV only.

People who are buying EVs are early adopters and paving the way for building an ecosystem for the late adopters, we should be a bit thankful to them at least. TATA provides a warning in their manual against back to back DC charging and recommends a slow charge (AC charging) at least after 4 successive DC charging. That too doesn't guarantees that there'll be no errors (typical TATA handling of an issue - not acceptable).

Those who are giving examples of MG or BYD or tesla, should also consider the price point of these EVs and the challanges in rolling out a mass market EV product which only a very few companies across the globe has cracked successfully. This is a relatively newer product category in a price cautious market. Any prospective buyers should do their research beforehand as you're buying into a new ecosystem and yes, this is buyer's responsibility and I feel that many buyers focus more on the lower running costs than the eccentricities of an EV ecosystem while making their decision.

That being said, there's no excuses to the bad RSA service in this case as well as this common error which has haunted many Tata ev owners. I've personally had a good experience with TATA RSA but that was in a major city so can't compare.
Old 17th July 2024, 13:56   #68
BHPian

Quote:
A companion car ? Im sorry which Indian family has a backup car on its road trips. Lets live in the real world please.
Quote:
When any of us are in trouble we are looking for help not "gyaan" which offers no value and doesnt solve anything.
While I agree with your views on helping those that are stranded rather than giving gyaan etc, I think what vijaysrk meant by companion car is another car with people in it, accompanying those in the car in question doing the same trip. Not as a backup car.
Quaser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 14:09   #69
Senior - BHPian

All those who are talking about the promptness of the RSA. Please see another thread for a Mahindra Scorpio-N which has stopped four times on the road in a city. See the response times of the RSA for Mahindra. It is not Tata or Mahindra or any other manufacturer problem, it is in general RSA takes time in this country.

Thread link (Mahindra ScorpioN keeps stalling after standing still for 2 months for accident repairs)

Excerpt from the post

Quote:
Talking about RSA service it was fine during the first time but during second and third time it was terrible they took around 3 hours and for the third time there wasn’t even any communication for around first 1.5 hours.
ferrarirules is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 17:20   #70
BHPian

This thread completely breaks my confidence in Tata. Sad that OP had to go thru all of this while being so away from home.
Have been dreaming about buying Curvv.ev for so many months and all of this just makes me doubtful.

Common Tata. Come out publicly and recall the vehicles.
International OEMs keep recalling their vehicles even for a small bug like a power window glitch and this HVC is just not acceptable at all.

I read somewhere that even Punch.ev suffered from HVC while being on new Acti.ev
pranavjindal999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 18:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Again, it is well known that repeated back to back DC charging sessions can lead to the HV error, you should do a slow charge to 100% every once in a while.
Hey, a bit off topic.
I have booked a tiago ev for my wife which is getting delivered this month.
Could you elaborate more on this slow charging + fast charging cycle which needs to be followed. As I remember you do have a Nexon Ev so details regarding this will be great.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 15:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Hey, a bit off topic.
I have booked a tiago ev for my wife which is getting delivered this month.
Could you elaborate more on this slow charging + fast charging cycle which needs to be followed. As I remember you do have a Nexon Ev so details regarding this will be great.
Ideally any electric vehicle should charged AC charger 3.3 or 7.2 or 11 or 22 KW depending on what it supports for better battery life. More the DC fast charging more is the impact on battery. Some manufacturers like BYD, CATL have aced the tech so their battery packs are much more immune to any type of charging.

Tata recommends after 4 DC fast charging sessions to do one AC charging session to 100%. The reason is simple when somebody is doing fast charging session, most likely it will be incomplete session (not going to 100%). LFP battery BMS hates incomplete sessions as it is not able to compute the battery percentage correctly due to very minimal discharge curve.
ferrarirules is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 13:54   #73
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2024 at 13:31.
vijaysrk is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th July 2024, 16:44   #74
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2024 at 10:29.
Ksingh544 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd July 2024, 07:24   #75
BHPian

Thanks to all of you who reached out and helped. I reached Leh. In the uphill range is about 1-1.5 kms per 1 percent. But then you get lot of downhill also in this route.

Srinagar to Sonmarg 90 kms in approx 31 percent uphill from 1500m to 2700m.
Sonmarg to Kargil including Zozilla pass 122 kms in 35 percent.
Kargil to Mulbekh 39 kms in 16 percent uphill from 2000m to 3300 m.
Mulbekh to Leh 180 kms in 48 percent. This included uphill with two passes.

@ vijaysrk

Yes, I get your point, with Tata EV we need to be careful. Better safe than sorry. But this contract weld error is very specific to TATA EVs. They should not have released the car with this error, or else should have issued a recall. If this was USA, there probably would have been a class action lawsuit.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2024 at 13:32. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
sumannandy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks